Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Entirely reasonable considerations, D_J.

It is a bad week, containing a bye, a recent series of losses amongst a batch of disappointment, and both an individual and collective discontent as to why - and how to emerge when time waits for no man.

Your gift of '...the rest of the season...' is generous; another one or two losses in the shorter term that may be aligned with your accurate considerations will be - for me - testament that the FD is not as functional, talented or suitable for the needs of the Club and its supporters, and so, must be replaced.

Our players face a rapidly reducing lifespan of football success and reward, and they deserve better.

I was prepared to give him 2020 as well but we now have an almost best 22 back so I would like to see a dramatic turn around.

That does not mean simply wins and in fact I will accept honorable losses ... it just means smart coaching.

Freo is a good test this Saturday... play like we did against GWS and quite rightly one has to question the ability of Goodwin and his team. Add to that Freo are on the road after a tough match in the West whereas we are at home and well rested.

I'm not concerned by the payout figure... the alternative is far more costly.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 3

On 6/16/2019 at 5:26 PM, old dee said:

Spot on LH it is 2020/21 or never.

Especially for you Mr Old!

19 hours ago, kallangurdemon said:

i have to take issue here with you SWYL on this one . it was 1965 where we won the first  8 and didnt make the finals .In 1971 we only won the first 5 before being beaten by Collingwood in round 6 but again didnt make the finals .On a slightly brighter note we did win the Night Premership in season 1971 so does that count as our elsive post 1964 premiership ?

Yes, the Night premiership. Dad dropped my brother and I off and picked us up at the end of the game. Lots of drinking and smoking in the crowd but I never felt the slightest bit unsafe. It was a fantastic atmosphere.

11 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Especially for you Mr Old!

Correct Mr Shadow.

Funny I would not have thought you would be making age jokes you are some ways from young yourself.

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I was prepared to give him 2020 as well but we now have an almost best 22 back so I would like to see a dramatic turn around.

That does not mean simply wins and in fact I will accept honorable losses ... it just means smart coaching.

Freo is a good test this Saturday... play like we did against GWS and quite rightly one has to question the ability of Goodwin and his team. Add to that Freo are on the road after a tough match in the West whereas we are at home and well rested.

I'm not concerned by the payout figure... the alternative is far more costly.

You had me until you said " honourable Loss" DJ.

There is no such thing, a loss is a loss is a loss. Don't accept any loss.

44 minutes ago, old dee said:

You had me until you said " honourable Loss" DJ.

There is no such thing, a loss is a loss is a loss. Don't accept any loss.

I hear you OD but I suppose what I was meaning was that if Goodwin takes a risk against some of the big teams and it doesn't come off but shows progress I will give him credit for that.

(There were no honourable losses in 2018 despite those few we lost by a few points. They cost us top 4 at the very least. But this year I don't care.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a smart alec.  I agree there are no guarantees of a premiership.

By 'now' I meant this is when we need to 'contend'  ie be in Prelims and Grand Finals.  I think this window is open until 2021 or 2022 latest.

My reasons are:

• We are in the 6th year of the latest rebuild and our list, with one or two gaps is virtually complete.
  • Our list has been built not to make up the numbers but to regularly contend.  Contending in 2019 was why we got May.  2019 is now a write-off so a bit or work to do to get back into contention.
  • The demographics suggest some of our best players will have retired or not best 22 by 2022. 
  • In years 2021-2023 our best youngsters become Restricted Free Agents:  Salem, Harmes, Hunt, Brayshaw, Petracca, Oliver, Weideman.  Whatever their critics may say, losing too many of them puts us right back in 'rebuild' mode.

So, after 2022 I believe our chances will be significantly diminished.  We may regularly make finals after that but it is difficult to see us being in serious contention (Prelim/GF) or winning it, as many of our current best 22 will not be on the list.  The rebuild will have been going for 10 years.  Time for another list rebuild?  Couldn't bear it. 

Not saying, we can't or wont' win a premiership by 2021/2022.  Just saying that I believe our best chance is 'now' ie the immediate future. 

No stress, no offence taken

My reply was based on not wanting to get in to a 12 hr debate about an opinion.

I actually agree with you,  we should be looking to win now. 

I also agree Goodwin needs to be reviewed but... (and I am not talking specifically about you or your opinion here - you replied to my point after all) I don't think change is needed now. I don't think the strategy has to change.

Has it worked this year... clearly not. Is it completely broken and has to be replaced... I am not convinced.

We can debate all day about demographics, experience and skills but at the end of the day the main question should be - are we setting ourselves up to be successful now and long term? How would a change of strategy help? that's all I care about.

Specifics on success can be debated on here by a lot smarter people then I.

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, drysdale demon said:

So you know more about coaching than any of the assistants and perhaps Goodwin himself.Delusional. Or perhaps you are just going by the judgement of all the armchair experts on this site.

I'm not sure forums are right for you mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, old dee said:

Correct Mr Shadow.

Funny I would not have thought you would be making age jokes you are some ways from young yourself.

I might be younger than you think Mr Old! It's just that I appear very mature online...🥴

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, Jaded said:

The fact is, we barely made finals last year.

I thought we finished 5th after H&A last year

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 10:52 PM, Clint Bizkit said:

Our game plan is run and gun at all times.

Last year with minimal injuries and a forward line kicking goals it was fine.

However, it’s not a sustainable game plan which can be replicated each week, we need to be able to play a slower style of play with good kicking skills when we can’t just use brute effort to beat the opposition.

Goodwin doesn’t seem to have this alternate game style.

The problem is teams are scoring more from the back half this year which 9ur game plan plays right in to.

I'll back the FD to sort it out but I think some of our assistants could be turned over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

I might be younger than you think Mr Old! It's just that I appear very mature online...🥴

Ha!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, A F said:

I'm not sure forums are right for you mate.

You could be right there, too much garbage written by too many posters.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The problem is teams are scoring more from the back half this year which 9ur game plan plays right in to.

I'll back the FD to sort it out but I think some of our assistants could be turned over.

Seems we've already rejigged the assistants and that's a good move. Hopefully Rawlings can get our forward line functioning.

15 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

You could be right there, too much garbage written by too many posters.

Forums like Demonland are like a well curated version of Facebook discussions. Much prefer a well moderated forum and Demonland is brilliant.

I just take the good with the bad and never use the fact that I haven't played the game at an elite level as a reason for dissing anyone else's opinion. 😉

• Like 3

8 hours ago, A F said:

Forums like Demonland are like a well curated version of Facebook discussions. Much prefer a well moderated forum and Demonland is brilliant.

I just take the good with the bad and never use the fact that I haven't played the game at an elite level as a reason for dissing anyone else's opinion. 😉

Problem on here is that a lot of posters make statements not opinions. I don't use facebook or any other social media crap.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 9:41 PM, Dr. Gonzo said:

I thought we finished 5th after H&A last year

Last year was the aberration not this year unfortunately

So sad, season over, negative views again reinforced by outcomes

• Haha 1

Good to see Goody make some moves and pay off.

Regardless if you like him or not, he has shown the ability to adapt and find ways to win games.

Still a very disappointing season, but I am excite to watch the continued development of players like Fritsch, Lockhart, Petty, Weeds, Hore, Baker and Smith.

We still have a lot of skill and pace deficiencies but the coaching staff have adapted. I hope we can upset a few more teams before year end.  

On 6/11/2019 at 5:10 PM, Lord Nev said:

Goodwin needs more senior help around him. Not sure if it's purely through stubbornness or lack of attraction to our club, but he's surrounded by fairly green assistants as far as the caper goes, with the exclusion of McCartney who there are of course rumours about in terms of his relationship with other coaches and players. Personally I feel he needs more senior help forced upon him if it turns out stubbornness and control are the issues.

Surprisingly, I've heard Jennings will be among those who will leave at the end of this year, and I would very much think McCartney would leave although I haven't heard as such yet. Adem Yze is firmly among the names being thrown around as coming on board for us next year, but hopefully we can also bring in another senior mentor type to take some pressure off Goodwin, as he seems to be shouldering too much of it on his own currently.

Apologies, got my info (rumour) wrong, it's actually Cam Bruce, not Adem Yze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, drysdale demon said:

Problem on here is that a lot of posters make statements not opinions. I don't use facebook or any other social media crap.

If someone posts something online you can generally take it to the bank that that is their opinion. Why waste time prefacing every post with "in my opinion" of course it's your opinion or you wouldn't have said it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If someone posts something online you can generally take it to the bank that that is their opinion. Why waste time prefacing every post with "in my opinion" of course it's your opinion or you wouldn't have said it.

I take it that is your opinion.