Jump to content

Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Goodwin doesn’t have the cattle to implement this alternate game style.

Our results exceeded our ability last year.

I think our ability was fine. You can either do it or you can’t

But i do think this chaos style game is the reason we had so many banged up players over Christmas. 

You just cannot play it every week

interesting times

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

How many times have we said that od?!

At least 50 of the last 55 BBo but it is at least familiar territory.

as I see it we have three choices.

- accept it

- find another club 

- find a new interest for winter.

After the last 55 years I doubt I can do anything other than the first option.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I think our ability was fine. You can either do it or you can’t

But i do think this chaos style game is the reason we had so many banged up players over Christmas. 

You just cannot play it every week

interesting times

Chaos footy works when you have at least one key tall and preferably two you can launch the Sherrin down to with confidence. For most of 2018 we had Hogan and an in-form TMac to kick to. They’d either mark thing or crash a body and open up opportunities for others. 

The FD made a huge miscalculation in thinking Weid could be one of the main guys so soon off the back of that final against Geelong. And TMac is a backman turned forward, not the other way round. He’s just not a natural at it despite last season’s heroics. 

With a decent key forward, a big gorilla, coming out of the square this season we’d have been 20+ more goals better off than where we are now, would’ve won those games against WC, Adelaide and probably Essendon as well. Hell we were only 3 goals down against the Filth at one stage in the last. We could’ve been 6-6 at round 12 with May and Lever returning and the wind in our sails going into the back half of the fixture.

If we don’t bring someone of quality in to play this role and kick 40-60+ goals in 2020 we can expect the same result as 2019. If that happens I can’t see Goodwin keeping his job.

We need a replacement for Hogan ASAP.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Matsuo Basho said:

........

We need a replacement for Hogan ASAP.

What we need is a 2 goal per game big guy that can help out in the ruck! Where would we find one of those? Apparently they are rare as rocking horse [censored]. I believe there is one at Casey, monster of a guy, can play in the ruck and guess what, he averages 2 goals a game in the AFL this year!

PLAY PREUSS FFS!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ManDee said:

What we need is a 2 goal per game big guy that can help out in the ruck! Where would we find one of those? Apparently they are rare as rocking horse [censored]. I believe there is one at Casey, monster of a guy, can play in the ruck and guess what, he averages 2 goals a game in the AFL this year!

PLAY PREUSS FFS!

No argument from me ManDee.

Don’t think he’s the long term answer but the mind boggles that we have not played him more this season. Why the f. recruit him if not for an occasion like Monday in particular?? 

As for 2020 here are the names in order of my preference:

Ben Brown, Charlie Dixon, Jon Patton (pending medical), Jack Darling. 

People need to decide - do we want to win a premiership or not? If we do then get real and go get one of these guys. Yes it will cost an outlay. 55 years and no flag. So be it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Chaos footy works when you have at least one key tall and preferably two you can launch the Sherrin down to with confidence. For most of 2018 we had Hogan and an in-form TMac to kick to. They’d either mark thing or crash a body and open up opportunities for others. 

The FD made a huge miscalculation in thinking Weid could be one of the main guys so soon off the back of that final against Geelong. And TMac is a backman turned forward, not the other way round. He’s just not a natural at it despite last season’s heroics. 

With a decent key forward, a big gorilla, coming out of the square this season we’d have been 20+ more goals better off than where we are now, would’ve won those games against WC, Adelaide and probably Essendon as well. Hell we were only 3 goals down against the Filth at one stage in the last. We could’ve been 6-6 at round 12 with May and Lever returning and the wind in our sails going into the back half of the fixture.

If we don’t bring someone of quality in to play this role and kick 40-60+ goals in 2020 we can expect the same result as 2019. If that happens I can’t see Goodwin keeping his job.

We need a replacement for Hogan ASAP.

No. We just need to kick the ball with precision to a leading forward. 

It happened once on Monday. 

Viney lovely quick pass to Weideman who goals. Punt Road end. But the game was gone by then

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be great to have another gun key forward, but it will all be for naught if we don't have a more experienced forwards coach and goal kicking coach along with a drastic improvement in delivery going inside 50. I would be devastated to spend more top picks on an overvalued KPP only to watch our co-captain in Viney continue to be the worst user going forward in the league.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No. We just need to kick the ball with precision to a leading forward. 

It happened once on Monday. 

Viney lovely quick pass to Weideman who goals. Punt Road end. But the game was gone by then

Lace out balls in today’s congested footy are the exception to the rule. You need to have the option of the ‘get out’ ball and you need forwards who are savvy and athletic enough to take their share of half chances. You also need a bloke who can split packs.

Weid is a long term project in all of these respects. He is not going to magically kick 60 goals next season getting silver service in space. Not going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Would be great to have another gun key forward, but it will all be for naught if we don't have a more experienced forwards coach and goal kicking coach along with a drastic improvement in delivery going inside 50. I would be devastated to spend more top picks on an overvalued KPP only to watch our co-captain in Viney continue to be the worst user going forward in the league.

 

Absolutely. 

Weid will be a great Key Forward when we deliver the ball properly to him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Lace out balls in today’s congested footy are the exception to the rule. You need to have the option of the ‘get out’ ball and you need forwards who are savvy and athletic enough to take their share of half chances. You also need a bloke who can split packs.

Weid is a long term project in all of these respects. He is not going to magically kick 60 goals next season getting silver service in space. Not going to happen. 

Gimme a break. We don’t even use eyesight going into the Forward Line

look at the good sides. They keep possession of the ball, waiting for the right moment to pounce. 

WE ARE THE EXACT OPPOSITE 

and it shows every week. But our coach is very stubborn 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goody's 4th on the Coach Pressure Index. Should he be higher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Goody's 4th on the Coach Pressure Index. Should he be higher?

Goody is higher than Hinkley?  give me a break.  Ken has has years with a very talented list and been average.

prelim last year, 4 year contract.  pressure on Goody's job this year very little.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Gimme a break. We don’t even use eyesight going into the Forward Line

look at the good sides. They keep possession of the ball, waiting for the right moment to pounce. 

WE ARE THE EXACT OPPOSITE 

and it shows every week. But our coach is very stubborn 

I can’t believe I’m reading this from a poster of your standing SWYL. Haven’t you been lamenting the loss of Hogan this season?

Weid has kicked 8 goals 6 behinds in 8 games. Less than 2 shots on goal per game. Was dropped to Casey for a run of exceedingly poor games. He is so far from the finished article it’s it doesn’t bare thought he could lead a top 8 quality AFL forward line in 2020. Where are the moments of brilliance and snaffling of half chances? I haven’t given up on him but my god we cannot throw him to the wolves like we are doing now. He IS NOT READY for the level of responsibility required of your number one man.  

Hogan’s departure was always going to leave this hole. We now have to fill it with an adequate replacement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Goody's 4th on the Coach Pressure Index. Should he be higher?

Not this year. But it will be flat out if we are still playing the same way 12 months from now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matsuo Basho said:

I can’t believe I’m reading this from a poster of your standing SWYL. Haven’t you been lamenting the loss of Hogan this season?

Weid has kicked 8 goals 6 behinds in 8 games. Less than 2 shots on goal per game. Was dropped to Casey for a run of exceedingly poor games. He is so far from the finished article it’s it doesn’t bare thought he could lead a top 8 quality AFL forward line in 2020. Where are the moments of brilliance and snaffling of half chances? I haven’t given up on him but my god we cannot throw him to the wolves like we are doing now. He IS NOT READY for the level of responsibility required of your number one man.  

Hogan’s departure was always going to leave this hole. We now have to fill it with an adequate replacement.

When did i say Weid was the finished article?? He is far from it. 

BUT when he is given a well drilled pass he can take them. What i am saying is that he is better than his team mates make him look

Hogan was not a key forward, far to athletic and has no penetration in kicks  

i would have played him on a Forward Flank/Wing  

i wish him well and still believe he may return in 3-4 years if he is still playing  

Weid will be a solid Key Forward, but his Team mates have to learn to pay him some respect  

the delivery going forward in 2019 is pathetic 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

When did i say Weid was the finished article?? He is far from it. 

BUT when he is given a well drilled pass he can take them. What i am saying is that he is better than his team mates make him look

Hogan was not a key forward, far to athletic and has no penetration in kicks  

i would have played him on a Forward Flank/Wing  

i wish him well and still believe he may return in 3-4 years if he is still playing  

Weid will be a solid Key Forward, but his Team mates have to learn to pay him some respect  

the delivery going forward in 2019 is pathetic 

 

Any half decent schmo can mark a lace out footy and kick accurately from 40m out. 

You need a whole lot more dynamism and ability than that in the forward line of a premiership winning side. 

I want the MFC to win a premiership, not get bundled out of a finals series again with pundits saying “they just didn’t have enough firepower at the end of the day”, “too much was asked of Weideman in the end”, or “Cameron and Himmelberg/Finlayson proved the difference in a close one.”

The TMac/Weid combo is second rate. Not good enough to put us in contention. It wouldn’t matter if we had Peter Matera and Robbie Flower on wings delivering the footy inside 50.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Any half decent schmo can mark a lace out footy and kick accurately from 40m out. 

You need a whole lot more dynamism and ability than that in the forward line of a premiership winning side. 

I want the MFC to win a premiership, not get bundled out of a finals series again with pundits saying “they just didn’t have enough firepower at the end of the day”, “too much was asked of Weideman in the end”, or “Cameron and Himmelberg/Finlayson proved the difference in a close one.”

The TMac/Weid combo is second rate. Not good enough to put us in contention. It wouldn’t matter if we had Peter Matera and Robbie Flower on wings delivering the footy inside 50.

I am not saying Tmac and Weid are the answer, but Tony Lockett and Jason Dunstall would have been goalless on Monday

Goodwin is lost for ideas right now. 

Watch the opening 2 minutes. We are a complete mess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Goody's 4th on the Coach Pressure Index. Should he be higher?

It’s incredible that Goodwin is even in this conversation 12 games after a preliminary final appearance but it shows you just how quickly the dark clouds can form. The three year extension buys him some time. He’s got 12 months to get us “top 8” competitive or he will be near the top of that list. Go into QBday 3-8 again and put on that sort of showing and we’ll have caretaker coach by round 13.

Ask yourselves - would you be running with TMac/Weid as your key talls again with your job on the line?

I wouldn’t be either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

2000 was twenty odd years ago so we are both right.

Frankly I think this is a more talented list except that the game does not readily allow for individual brilliance to be exhibited.

Our game, or the game

Because if you mean the game....cripps on the weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, old dee said:

I am not a fan PSD  but I must admit he has a lot of under performing mates in 2019. 

Only a gut feeling but why are so many players well below their form from 2018? Is it something off field?

well I guess there is always next year!

 

... 19 & 20Yr olds,  we can't expect too much...  they're little more than kids. & not long out of puberty.

As I say,  get stuck in when they're 22+ yrs,  because its high time they started showing something.

 

Gentle criticism of the kids, is all they need.  When in lower leagues. 

If they're in seniors regularly,  and not doing anything,  then its time to criticise the selectors... unless they've no better options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ManDee said:

What we need is a 2 goal per game big guy that can help out in the ruck!

Where would we find one of those? Apparently they are rare as rocking horse [censored]. I believe there is one at Casey, monster of a guy, can play in the ruck and guess what, he averages 2 goals a game in the AFL this year!

PLAY PREUSS FFS!

Brisbane Lions have one with that potential.  I think his name is Martin.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Lace out balls in today’s congested footy are the exception to the rule. You need to have the option of the ‘get out’ ball and you need forwards who are savvy and athletic enough to take their share of half chances. You also need a bloke who can split packs.

Weid is a long term project in all of these respects. He is not going to magically kick 60 goals next season getting silver service in space. Not going to happen. 

Spot on RR.  The delivery needs improvement but its not the magical  panacea that many here think.

Better forwards who have decent forward craft, eg; small crumber with goal sense/finish and a genuine KPF who can crash packs, clunk marks and kick goals out of his bum from inside 50 are more critical to our success.

Having said that the delivery is that ugly at times it certainly needs some to clean up their act in a big way in order to maximise those entries.  Lace out in an ideal world but wont happen often enough in today's game, unless we had Danger & Ablett running aound.  At least learn to kick it more often to the favoured side of forwards when under pressure with a bail out kick.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Injuries of no consequence ? Ask Richmond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DubDee said:

prelim last year, 4 year contract.  pressure on Goody's job this year very little.

Missed finals in 2017 with an embarrassing choke in round 23.

One of the worst Prelim performances ever.

Will miss finals in third year.

At least the Power haven't bottomed out like we have. We are the worst team in the league atm. If not for poor GC tracking in the final 40 seconds, we would be 18th after 12 rounds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

At least learn to kick it more often to the favoured side of forwards when under pressure with a bail out kick.

This.

A critical skill that we seem to completely lack.

Not only do we usually disadvantage a marking froward with our kicks inside 50 we also frequently kick to a spot where the intercept extra defender can waltz in and take an easy mark.No idea of the stats but i would be shocked if we have not conceded the most inside 50 intercept marks. Does my head in. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    MURDER BY NUMBERS by Sam the Stats Man

    The respective ladder positions of this week’s combatants tell the story of one side on the rise and the other in steep decline. Since their most recent meeting which took place early last year, the Dees and the Lions have changed positions. They are opposed to each again on the former’s home turf with the locals in fine fettle after blowing St Kilda off the park at Marvel Stadium.  The Lions’ home ground advantage has been a major consideration so far this year. They have won five out of s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MUD HEAP by KC from Casey

    In the opening round of the 2018 VFL season, the Casey Demons enjoyed an emphatic 107 point victory over Coburg at Piranha Park. The team was loaded with Melbourne listed players (half a dozen of them were in the team that beat Fremantle on Saturday) and the side was in its way to a grand final appearance. A season and a half later, the club returned to the same venue in the hope of kick starting a season that had gone somewhat awry under new coach Sam Radford and while they tasted victory (as y

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRETENDERS SENT PACKING by George on the Outer

    Fremantle, the Perth pretenders at sixth on the premiership table should have easily accounted for the Demons, sitting barely a game off the bottom of the ladder.   And for the majority of the game, it certainly looked that would be the case, until the final quarter, when the Demons stopped giving the Dockers easy chances, or making plain, dumb decisions. Not that their situation was helped by some simply appalling umpiring during the match, that kept gifting Fremantle easy scores.  Th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    ORWELLIAN by Whispering Jack

    Please permit me to begin this rather tragic pathetic preview of Melbourne’s forthcoming game against Fremantle with some personal reflections.   Two years ago, we had visitors staying with us who are all sports fans so we arranged tickets for the entire family for the Melbourne vs Fremantle game at the MCG. The Dockers were struggling at the time while the Demons were on the up and up so I was fairly confident about the outcome. Naturally, we all left the ground bitterly disappointed.   

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PANTSED BY THE PIES by George on the Outer

    A 41 point loss to Collingwood, combined with yet another meagre output from the Melbourne forwards, saw the Demons pantsed by the Collingwood in the Queens Birthday match. For the nth week in a row, Melbourne failed to produce a score that would trouble most sides - it’s inaccuracy alone was again enough to seal the outcome. If that final score of 7.15 were 15.7, the game would have been very different. That sort of output was exactly a repeat of the previous week against Adelaide, when fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TURNAROUND by KC from Casey

    It is truly amazing what a difference eight days can make in the life and times of a football club. It was a little over a week ago that the Casey Demons side were literally crushed into submission by the Werribee Tigers at Avalon Airport Oval. The losing margin in that game was not huge but the way they struggled to produce and cohesion in their play was obvious for all to see.  On Sunday at Casey Fields as part of heritage week, the team wore the Springvale FC jumper and made its own turn

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TEN YEARS AFTER by Whispering Jack

    There are many who would argue that Melbourne’s current woes go back a full decade to their Queens Birthday engagement of 2009 when the Demons selected a young VCE student Jack Watts to make his debut on the MCG in front of what was expected to be the club’s biggest crowd for a game described as the club’s “grand final in June”. That was the way of the world for the Dean Bailey coached Demons. The critics were skeptical of Melbourne’s decision to put a wet behind the ears schoolboy (albeit

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TOP END HEADING SOUTH by George on the Outer

    The Demons headed north for their annual game in Darwin, but the disappointing outcome could only mean they are heading south with the all too familiar failings happening again. A Sam Weideman mark and kick for goal with only 30 seconds remaining in the match could have won it for the Demons, but the kick slid sideways and the team went down by two points.  Sam may have been devastated, but the fact that the team could only kick 1 goal 8 behinds in the final quarter lays the blame at the fe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MAYDAY by KC from Casey

    There’s not very much that can be said of the lacklustre performance of the Casey Demons at Avalon Airfield Oval against the Werribee Tigers on Saturday other than that it was woeful. There were however, a few small rays of hope for Demon fans, the main one being the display of defender Steven May from injury and to a lesser extent, Kade Kolodjashnij’s return after two months recovering from the effects of concussion. May was in stellar form down back, taking intercept marks, disposing of t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POINT OF NO RETURN by the Oracle

    Conventional wisdom says that a club reaches the point of no return in the AFL competition if it has won less than four matches at the mid point of the season.  What this means for Melbourne is that in order for it to remain in the race for a top-eight position, it must start winning games now. Moreover, It's not enough to win the next game but it must also start stringing wins together to make up for its deficit in both wins and percentage.  With so much at stake there will be no excu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A REAL DOWNER by KC from Casey

    When Sam Weideman kicked his third goal at the midpoint of the second quarter of Casey’s game at Downer Oval , Point Gellibrand on Sunday, he put his team 26 points ahead of the goalless Seagulls. Buoyed by the return from injury of Weideman and a number of other AFL-listed Melbourne players including Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan, and Jay Kennedy Harris and an impressive start to Jake Lever’s second game on return from his ACL surgery, the Demons were seemingly on top of the world. Lewis and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ANOTHER GIANT PROBLEM by George on the Outer

    On top of its injury problems Melbourne ran into an “in-form” GWS Giants at the MCG in a game which, apart from a final quarter junk-time spree served to highlight the club’s current problems. There’s a virtually non-existent forward line; a plethora of VFL standard players, who might be getting plenty of game experience but most will simply not be up to AFL standard; an inability to kick straight and an ability to waste simple opportunities so that they mustered up only one goal in the fir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...