Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Pert in power when the Pies came up with the plan to replace Malthouse with Buckley?

Hmm probably cost them a flag.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Pert in power when the Pies came up with the plan to replace Malthouse with Buckley?

He was also "in power" when they won a flag and were runners up the following year. 

Results can be read in many ways Mr Old

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

He was but iirc that plan was a 'captain's call by Eddie.  Pert had to deal with the fallout.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

He was also "in power" when they won a flag and were runners up the following year. 

Results can be read in many ways Mr Old

Correct Mr. Shadow but the MFC has a habit of getting 100% of the later and zero of the former.

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

He was but iirc that plan was a 'captain's call by Eddie.  Pert had to deal with the fallout.

A bit like the captain's call of appointing Pert at the MFC LH.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Absolutely. 

Now is the time for Pert to sort out exactly what isn’t happening. I still think an outside review is advisable. 2nd opinion. 

Good clubs can do internal reviews, we are not one of those yet. 

Didn't Bartlett say that was off the table today SW? 

I'm not averse to this happening, subject to seeing what goes down in the 2nd half.

Personally something like this should happen regardless to avoid similar in future and provide Goody with some positive alternative options.

Could save a stack of coin by bringing in some great football minds IMO and having them dissect all aspects of the FD with emphasis on game style (including missing components, where obvious), performance of line coaches, assistants  and an assessment of the entire list.

Dermy, Roos, Eade, Reiwoldt, Carey (goal accuracy review lol!), Parkin and even Choco Williams (on a tight leash) come to mind.

Edited by Rusty Nails

5 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Didn't Bartlett say that was off the table today SW? 

I'm not averse to this happening, subject to seeing what goes down in the 2nd half.

Personally something like this should happen regardless to avoid similar in future and provide Goody with some positive alternative options.

Could save a stack of coin by bringing in some great football minds IMO and having them dissect all aspects of the FD with emphasis on game style (including missing components, where obvious), performance of line coaches, assistants  and an assessment of the entire list.

Dermy, Roos, Eade, Reiwoldt, Carey (goal accuracy review lol!), Parkin and even Choco Williams (on a tight leash) come to mind.

Yes Bartlett has said an outside review won’t happen. 

Personally i think that is wrong, but i shall watch and see what happens now...

My reading of the situation now is Goodwin and Co are confident and gambling on a big run of wins in the second half of the season. Time will tell if the confidence is well founded or naive and unrealistic. .

3 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

My reading of the situation now is Goodwin and Co are confident and gambling on a big run of wins in the second half of the season. Time will tell if the confidence is well founded or naive and unrealistic. .

I think we are all assuming that. What it means is up to each person.

Lose though with almost a best 22 and it could get very warm.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I think we are all assuming that. What it means is up to each person.

Lose though with almost a best 22 and it could get very warm.

I am no authority or great judge but reckon 5 of 10 wins is realistic.

Bartlett said there is no need for a review as they are reviewing internally constantly, and are 100% confident in the direction.

We have a run off perceived easy games coming up, then our last 5 are

Eagles : TIO

SAINTS : Marvel

Tigers : G

Pies :  G

Swans : G

Barring no more injuries will be interesting to see how we fare 2nd time around in our last five matches.

7 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

No you have not answered the question unless you think something about Carlton relates to what pick we could get this year if we traded any of the following and if it would be higher than or points equivalent to what we gave for them.

Brayshaw

Oliver 

Salem 

Wiedeman as per the post.

I've tried to be polite, but ffs are you struggling that much  now you want to bring points into it

try this

Oliver went pick 4, you would get two first rounders for Oliver

Suns will have Pick 1

Crows may have pick 2

They may wish to trade Pick 1 or 2 for two first Rounders

Pick 1 & 2 are a higher picks than what we used for Oliver.

Don't bother replying I'm done

7 hours ago, old dee said:

You mean Spargo is really quite good psd?

On what I saw last year old yes he has some good footy smarts and can use the ball well.

This season barring a few cameo moments he's been disappointing.

I'll reserve my judgment on him for a while yet OD

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

On what I saw last year old yes he has some good footy smarts and can use the ball well.

This season barring a few cameo moments he's been disappointing.

I'll reserve my judgment on him for a while yet OD

I am not a fan PSD  but I must admit he has a lot of under performing mates in 2019. 

Only a gut feeling but why are so many players well below their form from 2018? Is it something off field?

well I guess there is always next year!

23 minutes ago, old dee said:

I am not a fan PSD  but I must admit he has a lot of under performing mates in 2019. 

Only a gut feeling but why are so many players well below their form from 2018? Is it something off field?

How many times have we said that od?!

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2019 at 10:52 PM, Clint Bizkit said:

Our game plan is run and gun at all times.

Last year with minimal injuries and a forward line kicking goals it was fine.

However, it’s not a sustainable game plan which can be replicated each week, we need to be able to play a slower style of play with good kicking skills when we can’t just use brute effort to beat the opposition.

Goodwin doesn’t seem to have this alternate game style.

Goodwin doesn’t have the cattle to implement this alternate game style.

Our results exceeded our ability last year.

Edited by Mach5
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Why does he persevere with it?  Surely he knows it is not working!

The very good coaches and clubs develop a game style to maximise the cattle they have rather try and make them into something else.  It is a recipe for the loss of confidence in themselves, team mates that we are seeing and overtime in the game plan itself.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

We all know that this is the best list we have had for the last twenty odd years. Sure it can be improved but the coach isn't going to get cattle much better than he has.

It's the coach's job to leverage talent upwards and we're not seeing it this season.

2020 is looking like a key year.

10 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

We all know that this is the best list we have had for the last twenty odd years. Sure it can be improved but the coach isn't going to get cattle much better than he has.

It's the coach's job to leverage talent upwards and we're not seeing it this season.

2020 is looking like a key year.

2000 was a better list. Better skills and better forwardline

31 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Can you explain how that is possible?

45 minutes ago, old dee said:

Injuries can't be blamed either even though it might look that way to some

Our injury count isn't much different to previous years or in relation to any of the other teams.  Besides which,  good teams overcome injuries.

It is just that we have more 'so-called' better players now and a percentage of those better players have been injured as well as those who aren't standouts.  Previously,  a huge proportion of the list were not very good anyway.

Our 1 & 5 start to the season said it all ... and then when we finally woke up we got the yips in front of goal together with a plummet in general skills.  And off-season surgeries is a lousy excuse too.

We have underperformed - pure and simple.

Below standard ... Petracca,  T-Mac,  Viney,  Lewis,  Jones,  Melksham,  Fritsch,  Brayshaw,  Harmes,  Salem & Hibberd ... and a top-end draft pick in Weideman hasn't come on.

Some of the above have played well on occasions but not as well as they can.  Others have missed games but my evaluation is based on when they've played.

Salem,  Brayshaw  & Harmes have been the best of that lot but I was expected all 3 of those players to be better than last year and go up a notch. 

And Oliver is not impacting games even though he keeps accumulating possessions. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SPC said:

2000 was a better list. Better skills and better forwardline

2000 was twenty odd years ago so we are both right.

Frankly I think this is a more talented list except that the game does not readily allow for individual brilliance to be exhibited.

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

2000 was twenty odd years ago so we are both right.

Frankly I think this is a more talented list except that the game does not readily allow for individual brilliance to be exhibited.

Recently watched the finals replay against North.. The 2018 version wouldn't have got within 8 goals of the 2000 version..

But yes it is almost 20 years.

47 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Garbage, in any sport you cannot exceed your ability, you can play to the level of it but you cannot exceed it. There are numerous reasons why the team has not performed to the level of last year.

• Like 1