Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

2 hours ago, Sweetman said:

These are obvious to everyone except Goodwin who I suspect is struggling because his coaching staff are well below league standard.

So you know more about coaching than any of the assistants and perhaps Goodwin himself.Delusional. Or perhaps you are just going by the judgement of all the armchair experts on this site.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sweetman said:

Mr Goodwin is in denial , as was Buckley, Hardwick and Scott (the Geelong variety) before him. The game plan is seriously flawed and has been for some time. There were glimpses last year being the St.Kilda game and the West Coast Final whereby teams can pick us apart. The competition has worked us out and this has been exacerbated by a poor pre-season and injuries.

You are what you eat and Goodwin is the Executive Chef!

Our forward line is over crowded...

Poor forward coaching/craft work?  Add an out of form key forward who continues to be played, regardless of how badly he performs, ultimately a Goodwin decision.  Our other forwards (non KFs) are also largely ineffective once the ball hits the deck, with the exception of an out of form Jeffy, who can occasionaly get to the right places and finish if he has fair distance on his opponent to execute and not too far out from goal.  Hunt doing ok on the lead at times and pretty accurate.  Having a good season.  Hannan just back needs time.  Pruess should have come in at least three weeks ago for a terribly out of form T-Mac.

We turn it over to an opposition with an open forward line who score heavily on the counter...

Most of the counters are either from poor shallow kicks/bombs from Mids with horrid disposal kicking to no one or the multiple kick ins from our large number of behinds where we are super innacurate.  The opp is clearing it out way too easily through a very leaky low pressure style zone (as you mention below)...again this is ultimately a Goodwin coached option.

Remarkable disparity between our scoring ratios and our oppositions...

That disparity is partly due to the former leaky zone style in our forward half.  With the opp having little pressure coming off their HB or kick ins they are able to get the ball to the launch area with ease.  They are then able to finish more accurately, more often, and hit targets (or kick to advantage) to team mates in solid scoring positions.  With such low pressure there are fewer 'bail out' bombs coming in with hang time for our defenders to peel off their direct opponent and spoil.  When that pressure is more intense, in say a man on man defensive structure or a much tighter zoning method, this is much more helpful to any defence and will see less optimal scoring opportunities / angles afforded to the opposition.  This results in less accurate scoring, keeping us in games for longer.

Then there's the exhaustion factor brought about by Goodwin's crash bash/numbers at the coal face method/structure.  Goody has been unable to correct the problem of inside/outside balance...remember he's had a season and a half to get this balance/structure correct.  Still a major fail!

We are also incapable of playing a possession option for more than a few links in a chain which would allow our boys to catch their breath, work their way up the field out of the max damage area (on turnovers) to a launch zone and launch under less pressure.  Instead, we continue to play on quickly at all costs and hit the launch zone under severe pressure much of the time.  This usually results in our mids/HBs bombing from a bail out kick.

Our marks and contested possession inside 50 are deplorable...

We zone on opposition kick outs and give them free possession for half the ground.

Our inside-mids get in each others space win possession go backwards and turn it over, and then we are beaten on the spread...

Too often we aren't setting / playing to a structure that minimizes the opp's chances of beating us on the spread IF they get it out AND maximizes our chances of doing same.  Presently we are seeing too many at the contest and a structure that is spread 'unfriendly' vs the limited number of times in a game where we are getting it right, if at all.  When we do get it right at times we sometimes see the wrong players sitting out in space who have no ability to spread (chunk?).

When we gain possession we have too many options sitting a few feet away.  We are prone to give it off to those who are close (who shouldn't be!) and some in particular are also overdoing it by wrote (see Clarry/Brayshaw/Gawn & Salem...at times) as they are the first option they see under pressure.  This then invites the opp to sweat on us and easily pile on more pressure, resulting in more turnovers and a gradual drop in moral/confidence.  Multiple stoppage work ensues (go harder / longer with more numbers is the Goody matra) trying to get it back before turning it over...again.  Rinse and repeat until exhaustion sets in.  The opp then begin to get on top on the inside as well!  When that happens (win the inside AND already winning the outside) you can kiss the game goodbye and it then becomes "how far"!!??

The opps know the turnovers will come if they keep up their pressure (at a level), hence the usual comments post match... "we know if we match (read pressure) them on the inside for long enough, we will get them on the outside (read poor structure / drilling to maintain a decent outside balance around stoppage and CLEAR congestion on the spread).  Instead of one or two extras sitting well lateral or forward, waiting for the receive or sweating on the opp sweepers, we have one or more extras at the drop of the ball all piling in while giving the opp a spare or two on the outside ready to swoop and off to the races.

By maintaining a well drilled disciplined structure, with outside receivers waiting/sweating a fair way off stoppage and getting it too them more often (see Hannan, Salem, Fritsch, Harmes & Tracc) with either a lengthy handball or short kick, this will allow receiver/s more space and time to more accurately deliver inside 50, being able to steady, assess and deliver over their last few steps.

Max is the only player that can mark forward of centre. (last year we had Hogan and at times T Mac)...

I'm not sure this is correct SM.  Here's the evidence on that for the season after yesterday's match.....

image.png.a0ee7668dd8600c2be41aaa874f35293.pngimage.png.5de04987b4a36d671b17dc71e60ccf78.png

If you are referring to Contested Marks in general play?...

image.png.57d1a97372f2f369149c82ac6d93a3bf.pngimage.png.f32d6dab076b36f130bb7169ae079142.png

When we do get a clear set shot our players are mentally under too much pressure or fatigued or in a bad position.

• Preuss must play and assist Max and rest up forward.
  • Spargo and Garlett cannot play in the same team again (bring in Lockhart and persist with him).
  • Petracca must play in the mid field, replacing Viney or Jones who go forward or too Casey.
  • Fritsch is either a wingman or a forward not Back.

I agree with all of this 👆 but would add Dunkley / Lockhart (the more likely future) to replace Jeffy & Spargo

These are obvious to everyone except Goodwin who I suspect is struggling because his coaching staff are well below league standard.

Lets hope someone at Melbourne can help Goodwin see the light.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, drysdale demon said:

This has been passed on to you from the footy department or are you just guessing?

The bit about Jennings was told me to by someone who is not involved at the club directly but knows people who are. That person has passed on accurate information well ahead of time quite often. The Yze tidbit was passed on by a different person with the same description as far as connections go.

I understand the scepticism, I'd be the same, but I'd prefer to try and be a constructive poster here and pass on information than get into arguments and the like.

The part about McCartney is just opinion as mentioned.

Hope that provides the clarity that might have been missing in my original post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well that answers that then. [censored] players, [censored] coach and no future at all.

I reckon we just shut up shop, give the keys to the AFL and just fold hey? We've had a good run with 12 flags.

Tassie can come in and replace us.

FMD.....

FFS Dazzle, our last flag was 55 [censored] years ago. Im 51 and have never seen a flag. I wouldn't be able to name a single player who was in our team when we won a flag. Our history, while impressive for some, means practically nothing to me. I dont, and have NEVER felt a part of a successful club. Never in my life.

We (MFC) have either really old-timers who remember the halcyon years, or supporters (who dont require dentures) who have not ONCE in their lives experienced how it feels to win a flag. The staff who follow footy at my workplace, including the mother of a current AFL player, have all reverted to feeling sorry for me. IM SICK OF IT.

I respect you highly as a poster, and acknowledge your general footy knowledge is probably superior to mine...... but you need to walk a mile in the shoes of some of us who are totally [censored] sick to death of being a laughing stock of a club.

If Tassie replaced us i would personally feel a sense of relief.

Please dont dismiss the utter despair of your fellow supporters so flippantly.

• Like 2

So you know more about coaching than any of the assistants and perhaps Goodwin himself.Delusional. Or perhaps you are just going by the judgement of all the armchair experts on this site.

What I am saying is that coaches become so invested in a style of play that they can't see the wood from the trees. Pride dominates reasoned judgement and they don't adapt quickly enough. Case in point Buckley, Hardwick and Scott. You need a team around you who can provide strong advice and an alternative game plan and team structure. At this point we don't have this. I suspect Jennings who from a distance appears to be the architect of the strategy is struggling with a plan B. I can like others on this site, and media "experts" only judge what I see and the results that are delivered, that is the ultimate determinant of success of failure?

2 minutes ago, ding said:

FFS Dazzle, our last flag was 55 [censored] years ago. Im 51 and have never seen a flag. I wouldn't be able to name a single player who was in our team when we won a flag. Our history, while impressive for some, means practically nothing to me. I dont, and have NEVER felt a part of a successful club. Never in my life.

We (MFC) have either really old-timers who remember the halcyon years, or supporters (who dont require dentures) who have not ONCE in their lives experienced how it feels to win a flag. The staff who follow footy at my workplace, including the mother of a current AFL player, have all reverted to feeling sorry for me. IM SICK OF IT.

I respect you highly as a poster, and acknowledge your general footy knowledge is probably superior to mine...... but you need to walk a mile in the shoes of some of us who are totally [censored] sick to death of being a laughing stock of a club.

If Tassie replaced us i would personally feel a sense of relief.

Please dont dismiss the utter despair of your fellow supporters so flippantly.

Ding, 51 years is not a good wicket at all. My old man was only 11 years old when he last saw their last premiership and he fears he wont see one ever again. My biggest wish is too share the experience with him. After the win against in the hawks in the semi final last year me and the old man thought this was finally it.

Respect your frustration. Hopefully our time will come soon old timer.

• Like 2

Is that you Simon? You're the delusional one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Ding, 51 years is not a good wicket at all. My old man was only 11 years old when he last saw their last premiership and he fears he wont see one ever again. My biggest wish is too share the experience with him. After the win against in the hawks in the semi final last year me and the old man thought this was finally it.

Respect your frustration. Hopefully our time will come soon old timer.

Mate, im sitting at my laptop because my main computer blew up 4 days ago and i dont have the money to replace it. Today i got a new IQ4 box from Foxtel, and then spent the best part of 2 hours on the phone to Telstra and Foxtel trying to sort out my account. I upgraded to the HD sport package because................... i actually dont know why.

Originally i planned to have HD to watch our wins on replay on the fancy new 65" TV i bought at the start of the season. My membership was upgraded before the season started too, but it turns out i have not been to a single game this year and have only watched 2 replays this season. No prizes for guessing why.

Practically in tears posting repeatedly on DL because i a m at my bloody wits end with the team i follow.

This year was supposed to be the one. 

Or was it next year.

Or the year after.

Im closer to death than a premiership.

Ive had it.

Some of us are really hurting.

Edited by ding
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ding said:

Mate, im sitting at my laptop because my main computer blew up 4 days ago and i dont have the money to replace it. Today i got a new IQ4 box from Foxtel, and then spent the best part of 2 hours on the phone to Telstra and Foxtel trying to sort out my account. I upgraded to the HD sport package because................... i actually dont know why.

Originally i planned to have HD to watch our wins on replay on the fancy new 65" TV i bought at the start of the season. My membership was upgraded before the season started too, but it turns out i have not been to a single game this year and have only watched 2 replays this season. No prizes for guessing why.

Practically in tears posting repeatedly on DL because i a m at my bloody wits end with the team i follow.

Or was it next year.

Or the year after.

Ive had it.

You are not alone Ding. All of us on here are hurting - you just have to read the posts submitted to know that. Some express their anger. Others, like you, display their hurt. Passion for a great club is expressed in many forms. I say again, you are not alone.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

You are not alone Ding. All of us on here are hurting - you just have to read the posts submitted to know that. Some express their anger. Others, like you, display their hurt. Passion for a great club is expressed in many forms. I say again, you are not alone.

2 hours ago, ding said:

Or was it next year.

Or the year after.

Ive had it.

I’m with you Ding. 

Ive got 4 years on you & @ 55 I am starting to wonder if I will ever see that elusive premiership 

After being down for so long & then finally getting that taste again in 2018 has made 2019 to date agony.

Still I have seen us live win 2 Preliminary Finals & know how that felt. I just hope & prey that eventually we all get to experience that one extra week & the ultimate glory. A changed game plan & some smart recruiting & I honestly think we can launch hard again in 2020.

You are not alone mate 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ding said:

Or was it next year.

Or the year after.

Ive had it.

It really does chafe on the ball region.

I turned 43 today and had no choice in who I followed. My old man was on the senior list during the late 50s golden years. Not only that he went to Springvale after Melbourne so I’m in it up to my eyeballs.

I continue to go along week after week but I never go with any expectation. It’s hard going to games knowing you probably won’t enjoy yourself. Probably why I drink at games..

My girls now “follow” Melbourne because im a stubborn mule and won’t allow them to live under my roof if they don’t. Truly selfish given what I’ve set them up for...

I invest too much in this club. I just need the constant reminder from the missus that it is only a game. Came home last night after the game to see 60 minutes where a couple lost their 3 children on a passenger flight shot down by the Russians....

Thats true adversity. Not football.

Edited by Beetle
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Well, the post referred to high draft picks. Brayshaw and Oliver would be sought after but to answer my question would they give us a higher pick than what we used on their recruitment?  Direct question.

Direct answer is not possible there are so many variables.

you would get 2 first round picks for Oliver and possibly Brayshaw.

Who knows what you'd get for 2 first rounders  depends on who holds top end picks and what their needs are

13 hours ago, Sweetman said:

Basically our forward line is over crowded and chaotic and we turn it over to an opposition with an open forward line who score heavily on the counter. Hence the remarkable disparity between our scoring ratios and our oppositions.

I've been banging on about this for a while.

It's as if Goody doesn't trust our forwards and feels the need for congestion to compensate.

The time we opened it up against GCS was when we needed to score quickly at the end. Surprise, surprise we did score quickly and won the game.

It's a lot easier to connect the forwards to the mids if there is space to move and to kick into.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rjay said:

I've been banging on about this for a while.

It's as if Goody doesn't trust our forwards and feels the need for congestion to compensate.

The time we opened it up against GCS was when we needed to score quickly at the end. Surprise, surprise we did score quickly and won the game.

It's a lot easier to connect the forwards to the mids if there is space to move and to kick into.

Unfortunately for us it is apparently VERY difficult to connect even though we are training it every single week Rjay.  Along with goal kicking.

It is also unfortunate that, outside of GCS, it's apparently only us that has such a disconnect and inability to kick accurately from set shots.

I can only assume we have either a very poor method of training in this area, along with very poor trainers or a bunch of very poor forwards and/or mids (skill / execution) who just aren't up to the challenge (with possibly a few exceptions).

Possibly a combination of both.

T-mac obviously one major problem and the most out of form forward of the lot but Goody insists on playing him regardless of the consequences to scoreboard, results and the season itself.  Apparently some players don't need to perform at all...they just need to turn up and they'll be rewarded every week... for trying hard!

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, Stormy Dee said:

A top five pick is unlikely to make a difference next year. They usually take a few years to develop before they are at AFL level.

MFC is more likely to mess with their mind and turn them into a jellyfish anyway (watch Petracca, Tom Mac) also remember the development of players like Gysberts, Watts, et al.

Walsh is a pretty handy top 5 pick for Carlton. Played a ripper vs Bris

Oliver was very good in his first year too.

• Like 1

This is the time i would have assessed Goodwin as Coach

4 years??

he would get a 1 year extension at this stage 

Interesting 3 years ahead...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This is the time i would have assessed Goodwin as Coach

4 years??

he would get a 1 year extension at this stage 

Interesting 3 years ahead...

Our problems are widespread Wyl -  not just Goodwin, not by a longshot.

And the contract is set in stone so we need to make the best of the situation.

There is a lot we can do including having a thorough review of an immediate nature,  change up the game plan,  start making changes to the make up of the team etc etc

And at the end of the season do-over the list,  trade some valuable commodities and make some extensive changes to the FD. 

It is never one issue when the team is not performing ... e.g. Mark Neeld.  After he was moved on we still had a myriad of problems which included a poor list of players.  And we needed a clean-out which PJ undertook and implemented.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Our problems are widespread Wyl -  not just Goodwin, not by a longshot.

And the contract is set in stone so we need to make the best of the situation.

There is a lot we can do including having a thorough review of an immediate nature,  change up the game plan,  start making changes to the make up of the team etc etc

And at the end of the season do-over the list,  trade some valuable commodities and make some extensive changes to the FD. 

It is never one issue when the team is not performing ... e.g. Mark Neeld.  After he was moved on we still had a myriad of problems which included a poor list of players.  And we needed a clean-out which PJ undertook and implemented.

Well if you listened to SEN this morning, Bartlett told us no review is necessary. 

Head in the sand once again. 

I am not “blaming” Goodwin, but i would never have given him 4 years after that Preliminary Final. 

It was time to prove how good a coach he is. I said over Summer that i would have sorted his next contract this week. 

Would you give him 4 years now?

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Well if you listened to SEN this morning, Bartlett told us no review is necessary. 

Head in the sand once again

I tend not to believe what comes out of any club ... Pres-speak is closely related to coach-speak,  player-speak and media-speak. 

They will be reviewing things Wyl,  the natives are getting restless and those within the club will know that we're a long way from the expectations.

And if they are sitting on their hands,  heaven help us. 

The players themselves can turn things around without any prompting.  Right now they should feel embarrassed by their own output so I'm expecting the team to rally.

We've got too many of our good players not performing anywhere near their best where as 4+ years ago we had a dearth of good players full stop. 

10 wins by the end of the season is still achievable but we need to get a hurry on.  And nearly all of our good players are available. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Head in the sand once again. 

I am not “blaming” Goodwin, but i would never have given him 4 years after that Preliminary Final. 

It was time to prove how good a coach he is. I said over Summer that i would have sorted his next contract this week. 

Would you give him 4 years now?

Only opinion of course, but the impression I've got is that whilst Bartlett is saying there won't be a "review" in the context and breadth of an official club-wide overhaul style, the club will be looking at all aspects of football operations internally as part of normal process, and the performance will be assessed and addressed just like it would in any season.

So I wouldn't say it's correct to label it "head in the sand", implying that no action at all is being undertaken.

There will be numerous football staff move on at end of season, some voluntarily and some not.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Only opinion of course, but the impression I've got is that whilst Bartlett is saying there won't be a "review" in the context and breadth of an official club-wide overhaul style, the club will be looking at all aspects of football operations internally as part of normal process, and the performance will be assessed and addressed just like it would in any season.

So I wouldn't say it's correct to label it "head in the sand", implying that no action at all is being undertaken.

There will be numerous football staff move on at end of season, some voluntarily and some not.

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/whateley/

Hope you are right Nev, i got a slightly different vibe. 

If this Forward problem we are having lasted 2-3 weeks i would be fine with Glen’s Scenario. 

But this has been a shocking problem since last September, I understand the injuries. I don’t understand the tactics...

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Hope you are right Nev, i got a slightly different vibe. 

If this Forward problem we are having lasted 2-3 weeks i would be fine with Glen’s Scenario. 

But this has been a shocking problem since last September, I understand the injuries. I don’t understand the tactics...

Just feel like stability is the main thing Bartlett has wanted to bring to the club, and that's why he's come out with fairly straight ahead talk supporting the coach and saying there is no panic and no plans for an overarching external review.

Internally there would be assessments being made, KPI's being measured and research into improvement possibilities underway, but the reality is we can't make many moves until the end of August when contracts begin to expire, not just ours, but those at other clubs with staff we may be looking at approaching.

My gut feel is there will be significant change in the football department come September, but it will more about finding better support for Goodwin rather than replacing him.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 4

His job is now to make sure this team is absolutely purring come Round 1 next year.

That doesn't just mean resting players playing through injury and the like, but also introducing some flexibility and efficiency into the game plan.

We are one trick ponies at the moment, and not only did we get figured out, but the whole game has gone in another direction with slower and more deliberate ball movement.

We are no chance of making finals, but this is a very important 3 months to get things back on track.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Just feel like stability is the main thing Bartlett has wanted to bring to the club, and that's why he's come out with fairly straight ahead talk supporting the coach and saying there is no panic and no plans for an overarching external review.

Internally there would be assessments being made, KPI's being measured and research into improvement possibilities underway, but the reality is we can make many moves until the end of August when contracts being to expire, not just ours, but those at other clubs with staff we may be looking at approaching.

My feel is there will be significant change in the football department come September, but it will more about finding better support for Goodwin rather than replacing him.

Stability is fine when a team is improving. 

We definitely have a problem in the Footy Dept somewhere, because the same things are happening each week. That is what has concerned me all year. 

The Prelim Final was akin to a Bomb Blast last year and the whole Dept  is still coming to terms with it

That’s how it feels to me

• Like 1