Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Will say that with everything thats gone down this year Goodwin in my eyes still the right man for the job and will bring us sustain success. 

Why i have confidence is that the teams we have lost too  we've had more inside 50s, won the clearences and and contested possessions.

The only issue this year is obviously we've had no continuity starting from the pre season right until now with all our injuries. Our mid to forward connection has been poor also.

Get those things right next year, add in a top 5 pick, smart recruiting over the draft, everyone back fully fit come day 1 of pre season and i am backing us to push for top 4 next year.

Lets also put things in perspective. We are still relatively young in terms of games experience. Also we are still relying on 22-23 year olds with 60 to 80 games of experience. Next year we'll have a few who will hit that 100 game mark and really start to flourish.

Also condolences to the goodwin family..

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/the-death-of-melbourne-coach-simon-goodwins-fatherinlaw-among-demons-year-of-woe/news-story/7e37078408873e2784208e80b5a1daf1?fbclid=IwAR1mC4LiUMyiLaTtFf5g-cDEc0gtYM2wUUMZcPWwBEAl20dHo-QnUnpwWto

A top five pick is unlikely to make a difference next year. They usually take a few years to develop before they are at AFL level.

MFC is more likely to mess with their mind and turn them into a jellyfish anyway (watch Petracca, Tom Mac) also remember the development of players like Gysberts, Watts, et al.

So much doom and gloom!

We're not that far off it, we need an injection of class and we probably would have won yesterday if Sidebottom was playing for us.

May and Lever in the backline were a glimpse of what's to come and with Jetta coming back in there it has a ripple effect through the team by freeing up other players to move up the ground.  We may have our necessary midfield class already developing on our list - Salem, Fritsch and KK (who was very promising at Casey) can move onto the wings and give us an injection we need.  Sidebottom was tracking something like Salem at the same age.

TMac and Viney are clearly playing injured but we've been persisting because Goodwin wants to win if possible, they do need a rest.  We're really missing Melksham in the forward line, but Hannan looks to be finding some touch and Weed looked back to me.  Hunt is also making some good progress and provides a point of difference.

I don't think we need another KPF, we need more midfield class and run.  I'll be looking closely at Ed Langdon in our next match against Freo.  We've been linked to him previously and he's out of contract this year.

I'm confident Goodwin is the guy.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

David Moyes was sacked after just 1 year of a 6 year deal but the payout was for 1 year only

Why?  Because there were KPI's attached to his contract and he didn't meet those KPI's

That's tough but that's the ruthless world of sport that we live in. 

I wouldn't be dispensing with Goodwin in the near future as I believe he's the man for the job.  He's got a bit to learn but that's ok,  it's not a perfect world. 

But,  there should be KPI's attached for rookie coaches.  Not so for someone like Roos because you know what you're getting and the whole KPI thing with an experienced coach like Roos may not appeal to someone like Roos. 

In that situation you just give him (Roos) the job and hope that he stays on.  So it is horses for courses.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stormy Dee said:

A top five pick is unlikely to make a difference next year. They usually take a few years to develop before they are at AFL level.

MFC is more likely to mess with their mind and turn them into a jellyfish anyway (watch Petracca, Tom Mac) also remember the development of players like Gysberts, Watts, et al.

The Gysberts Watts period was from an era where we had a dysfunctional and poor development program under the Bailey Neeld era.

Brayshaw, Petracca, Oliver, Weideman, Lever, Salem are all 1st rounders who are developing at a much better rate then the likes of Blease, Gysberts, Toumpas, Strauss, Cook etc..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Watching Goodwins press conferences and his demeanor I just dont think he is handling the pressure at the moment.

He needs better support and better quality line coaches maybe a better football manager. If he doesn"t get it, his future looks grim in my opinion.

It looks to me that there is a greater  possibility  he will retire rather than be sacked  at some point over his contract term. Time will tell

he sounds like bolton. 

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

So much doom and gloom!

We're not that far off it, we need an injection of class and we probably would have won yesterday if Sidebottom was playing for us.

May and Lever in the backline were a glimpse of what's to come and with Jetta coming back in there it has a ripple effect through the team by freeing up other players to move up the ground.  We may have our necessary midfield class already developing on our list - Salem, Fritsch and KK (who was very promising at Casey) can move onto the wings and give us an injection we need.  Sidebottom was tracking something like Salem at the same age.

TMac and Viney are clearly playing injured but we've been persisting because Goodwin wants to win if possible, they do need a rest.  We're really missing Melksham in the forward line, but Hannan looks to be finding some touch and Weed looked back to me.  Hunt is also making some good progress and provides a point of difference.

I don't think we need another KPF, we need more midfield class and run.  I'll be looking closely at Ed Langdon in our next match against Freo.  We've been linked to him previously and he's out of contract this year.

I'm confident Goodwin is the guy.

Hannan was disastrous yesterday. Dropped a sitter and missed easy goals.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The Gysberts Watts period was from an era where we had a dysfunctional and poor development program under the Bailey Neeld era.

Brayshaw, Petracca, Oliver, Weideman, Lever, Salem are all 1st rounders who are developing at a much better rate then the likes of Blease, Gysberts, Toumpas, Strauss, Cook etc..

We’re in the bottom four...

• Like 1

We rushed him in not ready.  So he could play yesterday .

I think the club was worried yesterday would be a blowout...  without May,  Lever,  Hannan,  Spargo,  etc.    They were all brought in,  nqr. 

Add them to TMC, Viney and an aging Jones,  and voila. at least it wasdn't a complete blowout.  We put up a contest,  but lacked any polish. 

So  in that regard,  the coaches did,  just OK. 

One would hope so. However which of the bunch would get us a draft pick higher than what we paid for them? That is a true test of development as it is how players are viewed by opposing Clubs.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Stormy Dee said:

We’re in the bottom four...

Well that answers that then. [censored] players, [censored] coach and no future at all.

I reckon we just shut up shop, give the keys to the AFL and just fold hey? We've had a good run with 12 flags.

Tassie can come in and replace us.

FMD.....

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

One would hope so. However which of the bunch would get us a draft pick higher than what we paid for them? That is a true test of development as it is how players are viewed by opposing Clubs.

That's is a seasonal point of view.

Last year would be different,  to next year.

10 minutes ago, DV8 said:

That's is a seasonal point of view.

Last year would be different,  to next year.

No.  development refers to improvement up to the present time in respect to this years trade period. That is what I am referring to. Why would it refer to last year?

55 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Brutal test but probably right.....

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Brutal test but probably right.....

Despite his poor form Tmac will get you higher than pick 53

Max would get you higher than a pick in the 30s

So whilst I'm aware they are not from that bunch, but patience is required.

The players mentioned are very much only early in their journey

Brayshaw and Oliver would send clubs into a frenzy if you put them up for trade now 

Weideman would also be heavily sought, see how much better he looked in the second half yesterday when delivery improved and he had a decent run at it

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Goodwin needs more senior help around him. Not sure if it's purely through stubbornness or lack of attraction to our club, but he's surrounded by fairly green assistants as far as the caper goes, with the exclusion of McCartney who there are of course rumours about in terms of his relationship with other coaches and players. Personally I feel he needs more senior help forced upon him if it turns out stubbornness and control are the issues.

Surprisingly, I've heard Jennings will be among those who will leave at the end of this year, and I would very much think McCartney would leave although I haven't heard as such yet. Adem Yze is firmly among the names being thrown around as coming on board for us next year, but hopefully we can also bring in another senior mentor type to take some pressure off Goodwin, as he seems to be shouldering too much of it on his own currently.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 5

Mr Goodwin is in denial , as was Buckley, Hardwick and Scott (the Geelong variety) before him. The game plan is seriously flawed and has been for some time. There were glimpses last year being the St.Kilda game and the West Coast Final whereby teams can pick us apart. The competition has worked us out and this has been exacerbated by a poor pre-season and injuries.

Basically our forward line is over crowded and chaotic and we turn it over to an opposition with an open forward line who score heavily on the counter. Hence the remarkable disparity between our scoring ratios and our oppositions.

Our marks and contested possession inside 50 are deplorable.

We zone on opposition kick outs and give them free possession for half the ground.

Our inside-mids get in each others space win possession go backwards and turn it over, and then we are beaten on the spread.

Max is the only player that can mark forward of centre. (last year we had Hogan and at times T Mac).

When we do get a clear set shot our players are mentally under too much pressure or fatigued or in a bad position.

• Preuss must play and assist Max and rest up forward.
  • Spargo and Garlett cannot play in the same team again (bring in Lockhart and persist with him).
  • Petracca must play in the mid field, replacing Viney or Jones who go forward or too Casey.
  • Fritsch is either a wingman or a forward not Back.

These are obvious to everyone except Goodwin who I suspect is struggling because his coaching staff are well below league standard.

Lets hope someone at Melbourne can help Goodwin see the light.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Goodwin needs a big second half of the year to rack up as many wins as possible, forget this tanking for draft picks crap...Melksham, VBD and Jetta aside we will have a full list available after the bye so there really is no excuse. Got to change the gameplan up a bit to suit 2019 footy, while we don't have a highly skilled list surely continuing to play the same manic/panic rush it on at all costs stuff is complete madness.

I’m 50/50 on Goody so far.

I think the basis of his game plan is sound, and we move the ball quite well at times, but he has been saying the same thing for 8 weeks now, that we know what’s wrong and it’s our connection with the forwards.

So far there is no evidence of any change or improvement.

Im not seeing many leads or space being created , or solid decisions being made when going forward , infact it’s the opposite.

It worries me because either the coach has run out of ideas or doesn’t know how to teach or implement forward tactics.

It’s strange because I watch our second division local team every week and they seem to know how and when to lead and how to pass the ball to a forward.

How can an AFL player not know how to execute a basic skill?

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Goodwin needs more senior help around him. Not sure if it's purely through stubbornness or lack of attraction to our club, but he's surrounded by fairly green assistants as far as the caper goes, with the exclusion of McCartney who there are of course rumours about in terms of his relationship with other coaches and players. Personally I feel he needs more senior help forced upon him if it turns out stubbornness and control are the issues.

Surprisingly, I've heard Jennings will be among those who will leave at the end of this year, and I would very much think McCartney would leave although I haven't heard as such yet. Adem Yze is firmly among the names being thrown around as coming on board for us next year, but hopefully we can also bring in another senior mentor type to take some pressure off Goodwin, as he seems to be shouldering too much of it on his own currently.

Interesting....

• Like 1

I’d Love to see Schwarz or Neitz come back to teach our forwards , god knows we need someone that can give our forward line a few pointers.

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Despite his poor form Tmac will get you higher than pick 53

Max would get you higher than a pick in the 30s

So whilst I'm aware they are not from that bunch, but patience is required.

The players mentioned are very much only early in their journey

Brayshaw and Oliver would send clubs into a frenzy if you put them up for trade now 

Weideman would also be heavily sought, see how much better he looked in the second half yesterday when delivery improved and he had a decent run at it

Well, the post referred to high draft picks. Brayshaw and Oliver would be sought after but to answer my question would they give us a higher pick than what we used on their recruitment?  Direct question.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Surprisingly, I've heard Jennings will be among those who will leave at the end of this year, and I would very much think McCartney would leave although I haven't heard as such yet

This has been passed on to you from the footy department or are you just guessing?

Edited by drysdale demon
correction

Goodwin frustrates me & many others I'm sure.......I just cant understand selection either!

I wish he would just have the balls to put 'out of form' players back to Casey & send a clear message. Think this has been the most obvious reason for our lack of wins......

I know we've had surgeries & a so called late start to pre-season, but common......

Play the players that are accountable, efficient & good ball users & stop playing your favorites & they might win a few games FM!

Youth brings excitement......

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

I’d Love to see Schwarz or Neitz come back to teach our forwards , god knows we need someone that can give our forward line a few pointers.

Nick Riewoldt.

One of the best key forwards the game has seen with his immense work rate and his knowledge on forward craft is brilliant.

Would be perfect for both McDonald and Weideman in a mentoring capacity.

• Like 5