Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion - Round 2

Demonland

53 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

We’re back inside the 8 d’landers with 4 premiership points banked

from where we were about 5 mins in the last quarter to now sipping a scotch after a 26 point win I’ll take that every day of the week , could have been a lot worse

Yep. x 100. Would have been gutted if we had lost, particularly because we burnt opportunities to push further ahead than 7 goals up (so similar to last year's game).

That said they had the momentum in the last quarter so to balance up once th scores were level and get out to 26 point win was impressive i thought 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Happy-go-lucky MFC supporters.

Gotta love em. 

What did we give up tonight? 42 points over a quarter of footy? Between the third and fourth?

@ProDee, how's that sample going?

How's your love child Lever going? Being shown up by the other young defender atm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Pull yer head out of your arse mate.

I guarantee you the tigers won ugly last year. Hence the statement that good teams find a way to win ugly.

Im not saying we dont have issues im saying we found a way to win, scored 100 pts, kept the opposition under 80, and are still.missing 2 of our top 5.

If you're going to argue come back with something better then we keep getting beaten in 1 qtt because last time i checked it was only being in front at the final siren that matters.

I’m not arguing, I’m responding, adding a comment. We’re all Dees members or fans.

We’re a peripheral team at this stage because that 1 qtr of chit is so bad, take your head out of your a rse and you might see that. 

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

We've been using this exact game plan since Goodwin took over.  2 off the back of the square, win the contested ball and get it forward.  Sometimes we look terrific, other times we're okay and then there are times where teams run all over us and we don't know what to do.

My only criticism of Goody at the moment is that he seems a little stubborn and unwilling to implement something else when things aren't going our way.  Teams get a sniff and go bang, piling on goal after goal.  We need to learn to get better at this and be willing to tweak things more often when we sense the momentum shifting.

I agree re coach’s stubbornness or maybe lack of ideas.  

“No plan B” was also a criticism of ND (as opposed to no idea at all for his successors x2)

1 hour ago, Sigil said:

Played with a piece of butter in the last half, was always going to churn (hehe lolz) into a game style we weren't used to and they were.

Hoges - Brilliant. Nearly midfielder numbers for KPF, glorious.

Garlett - Anyone who says he was borderline for selection can get stuffed, since coming over from Carlscum he's cared and tries. Glad he was so important to us for that win.

Oliver - Sublime.

Lever - When we set up right you see what he was brought to the club to do.

One of the things that will need to change tho, once Viney comes back is I'm not sure there is a place for both Lewis and Vince in the team.

Still not playing with our best after two games and the way we can kick quick goals will hold us in good stead against most teams (and yes the drop offs in a single quarter are still a problem).

Go Dees!

Not sure there is even without JV. 

ATM Vince offers more 

49 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

Yes, Lewis has made potentially game losing clangers at crucial times two weeks in a row now. He won’t make our best 22 come finals time...

IMO it should be Lewis or Vince and Vince IMO is the one for now. 

After watching closely this evening, I came away thinking Jayden Hunt has lost all confidence in himself. May be just my perception, but also seemed a bit detached from his team mates. I hope he is OK.

Other observations...Bugg never best 22.  Harmes, not too bad but still trying for mark of the year too often. 

I often assess our quality by asking myself who from our starting 22 would struggle to get a game at another club. I reckon 5 of them from tonight’s game - Bugg, Wagner, Harmes, ANB and Pedo. Would (say) Stretch, Brayshaw, Frost, Balic and Hannan do any worse? 

7 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

We go to brisbane as a team who are predicted to make the top 8 & win over a team who are touted as being bottom 4 ...ess who are predicted by  many to be top 4 go to  Freo who are also predicted to be bottom 4 & they lose ... who should be happier ... Melb or ess supporters...I’m happy ? 

So you think we are somewhere between 12th & 8th ?  Mr D-9 ?

7 minutes ago, GCDee said:

I really do not understand some of our supporter base and how negative they can be... 

An interstate win, by 4 goals against a team choc full of talent. 

Yes it's frustrating we gave up 7 goal lead, but AFL footy is a game of momentum brissy got on a run and played very well for the 3rd and half of the 4th. 

Not to mention we have some star players in putrid form (hunt, jetta & lever) and 2 of our top 10 players out. 

We cannot and will not win every game by 10 goals. 

Great grinding win on the road and excited about the roos next week! 

Again its not about this game GCDee;  but rather about seeing Real Progress.  Instead of the same old feebleness game after game, season on season, from the RednBlue.

5 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

I’m not arguing, I’m responding, adding a comment. We’re all Dees members or fans.

We’re a peripheral team at this stage because that 1 qtr of chit is so bad, take your head out of your a rse and you might see that. 

Bit early to be making any calls on the team.

I dont get emotional over 1 game or qtr. 

I don't know what to think. This site is bipolar and I find myself agreeing with both sides. Like Nasher I'll never mourn a loss but I also see why people aren't happy giving up a 42 point lead. It's not because it's one game it's because it's a pattern that indicates minimal improvement since last year 

We still need to find a way to grind these teams down with 4 quarter efforts and I'm hoping that comes over the course of the season. Teams rarely rock up in round 1 completely altered from the year before it's often a process of development across a season and I'm hoping/expecting that's what will happen with us.

We won by 4-5 goals which is about par if you were topping pregame. The bookies had us at -20.5 which is a pretty good indicator because they're often within a goal or so of the margin. The way we got the result is what is driving people crazy but the result is probably right. 

Conditions looked terrible out there, we ran ourselves ragged in the first half, our tackling chasing etc was top level. The second half seemed a lot treasure (rain?) and we couldn't seem to buy a centre clearances. The umpires were pretty one sided I felt as well several cheap frees right in front of goal and not a hell of a lot of 50/50s going our way.

Hogan and Oliver were superb, Hogan really does love playing the Lions. I thought Hibberd did well too and Garlett hit beast mode in the last. Good result, let's move on to next week and get the kangaroos bogey of our backs.

• Like 12

Haven't seen any of the game yet but we did it again - this time it was spread out either side of three quarter time but outscored 42 points in what couldn't have been much more than 30 minutes of football.

Yes, the most important thing was the win and we got that. Yes, we fought back once they drew level to win it, and ultimately by 26 points. 

But when we're 42 points up against a likely bottom-6 side, we should be putting the foot down and pushing on, not being run over the top of. Until I watch the replay I won't know for sure what it was that let the rot set in but when someone as positive as Wiseblood has a crack at the 2 off the back of the square and Goodwin's stubbornness, I can take a pretty good guess: Brisbane dropped a spare man back, we let them (i.e. didn't man that player up), and we proceeded to turn it over at half-forward repeatedly, whilst our loose man/men had no impact on the game.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DV8 said:

So you think we are somewhere between 12th & 8th ?  Mr D-9 ?

Again its not about this game GCDee;  but rather about seeing Real Progress.  Instead of the same old feebleness game after game, season on season, from the RednBlue.

I get the frustration of losing such a big lead... but in seasons past it took us playing at our best and our opposition to be playing at 80% for us to have a sniff. 

Now we are playing at 80% if not worse than that and grinding out interstate wins. 

I am happy, I wish however for Goody to take more action during a QTR rather than wait to QTR time breaks to make changes when damage has been done. 

I think we will really kick into gear around Anzac day and finally have our back line gelling and generate some serious scores of half back. And before we know it tmac and viney will be back. 

It's really not doom and gloom just a matter of playing some blokes into form and getting our structures right. 

• Love 1

We shouldn't overlook the fact that we've improved immensely when playing on the road.  5 years ago we would be lucky to kick 6 goals when we played interstate.

Now, in the last 12 months, we've secured wins in Adelaide, Perth and now Brisbane, three places where we have struggled mightily in the past.  

It's the sign of an improving side and that we are learning to win anywhere we play.

• Like 8

I will tell you the single biggest flaw and reason that we are being beaten in quarters at the moment....here goes

Our plan is to win the clearance in the middle and then handball to the runner off the back flank...usually Hibberd or someone like that. The running player drives it long inside forward fifty aND we have 2 on 1 against us EVERY F. TIME. It is so easy to set up for. Just drop one back and we will kick it down your throat 2 on 1. That is setup. That is coaching. That is not on the players. It must stop. No point dominating in close..releasing the runner and then having no one inside fifty. It's FLAWED ...wake up GOODWIN.

End rant

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

Should be going into next week confident after a Max goal on the siren and a 60 point win. We won't though...

What will happen next week? We probably win. Then drop two to two sides better than us in Hawks and Tigers and we're right back to being the .500 side we were all last year.

Have we improved? Not on what we've seen. Gawn and Hogan are back, and in a big way. But the defense has lost its spark. lever hasn't gotten off the plane yet.

I feel like things have shifted in the 22, but ultimately, we've ended up at the same level we were last year. A 6/10 side. Get used to a long stressful year.

A lot can be fixed. Many are better than they're showing. We COULD for example kick to targets instead of bombing it long. It's been really, really bad for 2 weeks now. And the coaches will eventually wise up and educate the players to not kick it to the opposition. Look at the games of the other teams. No-one is bombing it long like we are. And against ball-using sides like Cats, Dons and others, we'll get carved up.

Fix that and we'll come good to a certain degree. But right now, making finals is a long way away. Let's just try to figure out how to beat Roos first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

We shouldn't overlook the fact that we've improved immensely when playing on the road.  5 years ago we would be lucky to kick 6 goals when we played interstate.

Now, in the last 12 months, we've secured wins in Adelaide, Perth and now Brisbane, three places where we have struggled mightily in the past.  

It's the sign of an improving side and that we are learning to win anywhere we play.

You are correct, but it’s not the issue. The issue is we give up big leads every week, whether they are away or at the ‘G

I can understand a side kicking 2-3 goals in a row, but 5-7 goals is a problem that is not being fixed...

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, DV8 said:

I don't get this comment. The 'same old feebleness' would have been a loss. Yet we won by 4 + goals. If that's feeble i'll take some more of that please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, GCDee said:

I really do not understand some of our supporter base and how negative they can be... 

An interstate win, by 4 goals against a team choc full of talent. 

Yes it's frustrating we gave up 7 goal lead, but AFL footy is a game of momentum brissy got on a run and played very well for the 3rd and half of the 4th. 

Not to mention we have some star players in putrid form (hunt, jetta & lever) and 2 of our top 10 players out. 

We cannot and will not win every game by 10 goals. 

Great grinding win on the road and excited about the roos next week! 

I agree... our first win in brisbane since 2010 is also another monkey off our back

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

Jordan Lewis please get your [censored] together.

Sloppy.

It's a real worry. He's looking like a senior citizen at the moment. Keeps giving away frees and always seems to fall over at the contest and ends up scrabbling around on the ground for the ball. Needs to justify his spot pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's a real worry. He's looking like a senior citizen at the moment. Keeps giving away frees and always seems to fall over at the contest and ends up scrabbling around on the ground for the ball. Needs to justify his spot pretty quickly.

I tell you who fell over more and that was Lever is he an old man?

I'm sorry but Jones, Lewis and Vince are terrible leaders. When we needed a steadying head, they fumbled the ball more than anyone. Lever really struggled again too. Why have we not figured out how to keep one player down when 3 of us go up? 

Thought our first half was a little wasteful offensively, but defensively superb. We played that aggressive high press that I expected us to play and predictably, Brisbane's skills weren't up to picking their way through. Our forwards brought much better pressure than last week (ie they actually laid some tackles) and our defence was really well organised.

But in the second half, we dropped off through the middle, we fumbled and our forwards struggled to lay tackles. Petracca had a bit of it, but continues to float in and out of games - I'm still waiting for that break out game, where he takes it by the scruff of the neck. Harmes and Neal-Bullen had it a bit, but didn't impact. Fritsch, Salem and Bugg struggled to get into the game. When your forwards and mids aren't laying tackles, no game plan will hold up to that. 

Harmes and Bugg have to be on the fringe again. Both are not up to it IMO. Both butchers and both poor decision makers. Harmes will stay because at least he got it a bit. Truthfully, aside from Oliver, Gawn and Hogan, we had far too many players that went in and out of the game or had no consistent impact. Salem and Hunt in particular were simply horrible too. 

We do thank Jeffy for winning us the game though and had Jesse kicked straight from 30m directly in front at the start of the 4th, it would have saved us some stress. But a win's a win. I'll take it. We MUST start to play four quarters soon though. Almost every team in this competition will make you pay if you don't. Next week, that is our challenge. Otherwise, I reckon we lose.

Oh, and Oliver is a genuine star and the best Melbourne midfielder in my thirty year lifetime. 35 touches and 8 tackles. What an absolute gun.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Brisbane may have been bottom last year, but they won’t be this year. Adding Hodge and Cameron, Christianson back ... makes a big difference. They already improved over the course of last season, and will continue. Most importantly though, with away teams having to travel, plus the humidity, they’re never going to be walkovers at home. Bottom 4, maybe, but they’re a mid-table team at the Gabba. Happy with the win, though as always, work to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Nothing wrong with Wagner's game again tonight. However I agree we seem to be lacking some dynamics in the back 6. 

At this point, Hunt is giving us no rebound and no running bounces (and is a terrible kick), so we may as well play Frost and give ourselves a bit of defensive flexibility. 

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

The huge positive for me was Hogan's performance.  23 touches, 9 marks, 5 goals and a ripping chase down in the second term.  He looks fit, hungry and ready to tear the competition apart.  When he plays like this we are such a better side for it.  Long may it continue!

You're right. It was a really good game. He frustrated me because he should have had 7, but we got the win and he was an important part of that, so it's all okay this week.

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

Jordan Lewis please get your [censored] together.

Sloppy.

Absolutely. And he gave away another free kick for mouthing off to the umpire and handed the opposition momentum. The guy is a deadset liability at the moment.