Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Which MFC player have you met personally?

dazzledavey36

16 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i was going to quote that other work quote but thought better of it ?

If it’s the one to which I think you refer, you thought wisely. ?
(from nearly 80 years ago)

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

22 hours ago, demonstone said:

There certainly haven't been a lot of players recruited from Portland over the years.  

A good one was our very own Clyde Laidlaw, 4 time premiership player (unlucky to not be a 5-timer). And as chance would have it, I briefly found myself talking to him at a Demons game a few years ago. Very nice chap. 

Back in the day he was a strongly built dark-haired player whose rugged good looks translated into a no-nonsense rugged style of play. In the brief time I spoke to him he seemed quite different from his on field persona - in a good way!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Back in the 70s I used to see Ken Emselle for about 45 minutes every weekday for the best part of a year. He was my maths teacher. I still remember him explaining integral calculus to the class. 

LDC, can you spot him in that photo of the 1964 reunion in the Last Hurrah thread, perhaps in the front row?

On 7/12/2021 at 6:16 PM, demonstone said:

my own football career was cruelly cut short by a tragic lack of talent and courage, despite doing a sterling job as 20th man in a West Portland Under 15s premiership (t.o.g. ten minutes).

LMFAO ? 

For some reason, when I think of you I picture Issa Schultz from The Chase Australia. ?

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

For some reason, when I think of you I picture Issa Schultz from The Chase Australia. ?

Can't see the resemblance, myself.

All these years later, I can still recall in detail my stats from those glorious last few minutes of the Grand Final when I was belatedly given a run by a sympathetic coach:

Kicks - zero.  Handballs - zero.  Tackles - zero.  1%ers - zero.  Goal assists - zero.  Squibs - three.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Can't see the resemblance, myself.

All these years later, I can still recall in detail my stats from those glorious last few minutes of the Grand Final when I was belatedly given a run by a sympathetic coach:

Kicks - zero.  Handballs - zero.  Tackles - zero.  1%ers - zero.  Goal assists - zero.  Squibs - three.

Only three squibs. So there’s that. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Webber said:

I’m thinking Gary wasn’t at MHS for academic reasons? Cam Bruce was also MHS, no?

I was also at MHS for non academic reasons! Captain of the 4ths under the legendary coach Tiger Reid. Still managed to get my HSC but sadly can’t join for the “ 40 years on “ reunion this year as Scomo is making it impossible for me to get back in! 

10 hours ago, chook fowler said:

Was at Melbourne High when Ross Dillon and Alan Davis were there. They both played when they were still at school. Billy Picken also was a student there - and I use the term loosely!

Phil Manassa 

3 hours ago, bingers said:

My daughter and I are Supernerd's greatest fans.

Put me on that list! I adore Issa. What a sweet guy he is. ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tim said:

LDC, can you spot him in that photo of the 1964 reunion in the Last Hurrah thread, perhaps in the front row?

I'm notoriously poor at identifying people, but when I looked at that photo (thanks for prompting me to do so) I immediately thought he was the grey haired gentleman on the extreme right of the photo. It's the mouth and the curly hair that I remember...

But I could easily be incorrect.

22 hours ago, low flying Robbo said:

I was with a friend at Cheers/Caseys Nightclub in Hawthorn in the early 2000s and ran into Wheatley and Godfrey. Paul bought us a few drinks and we had a great chat to him while Godders disappeared away from the bar.

Yeah I had a chat to Wheatley once at a 21st birthday party.

He’s a very pleasant and down to earth fella.

Met Gary Lyon in about 2000, he sat next to me at a buffet lunch in the Ch 9 box at the Grand Prix. Once I got over the shock, what to talk about? We talked about his Speccy McGee books - top tip:if you meet a “personality” the best subject is to talk about them, there is no interest in you. He was very talkative, but after 10 minutes, I confessed that I was a lifetime Dees supporter, and loved his career. Then Sam Newman joined the table - completely ruined, in his driving suit, kept calling “Gazza”, a really arrogant mocking piece of work

On 7/12/2021 at 10:30 AM, Jaded said:

I should add that I've met some really lovely footballers over the years, who were kind and respectful. Like in every walk of life, there is always that 5-10% of scum. 

I do remember however beating the Saints in that final where Carroll starred and we went out afterwards and got fairly wasted and ran into Nick Del Santo and I told him his team sucked and he was quite nice about it, which was very gracious of him. I was a drunk brat in a Melbourne scarf and he just laughed it off. I guess if I was a guy maybe he would have reacted differently.

From his Fox Footy work, Dal Santo actually seems like a really nice, reasonable bloke.

On 7/13/2021 at 12:27 AM, Demon Jack said:

I was working in retail a couple of years ago during Grand Final day (proudly wearing my Melbourne scarf even though we were thumped by West Coast in the prelim the week before) when I served two older gentlemen. One noticed my scarf and made mention that the other's son used to play for Melbourne some years back. Curiosity got the better of me and obviously, I couldn't help but ask who the player was.

The player's name was Troy Broadbridge. 

Rest in Peace Troy.

Awkward

I was playing golf with a mate at Leongatha when I was about 11 or 12 and Garry Lyon, Glenn Lovett and another player I can’t remember now pulled up at the tee to play after us. We were a bit star struck and Lyon pulled clubs out of both our bags and had a swing with them. He struck me as a bit of a k n o b but Lovett was lovely. 

ANB, Tom McDonald, Tomlinson, Sparrow and Jordon are all pretty regular at my local cafe. Dom Tyson and JKH used to come in a lot too. JKH lived in the street and didn’t know how to cook so ate there LOTS. Nice kid. 

Tomlinson is always up for a chat and is a ripping bloke. TMac usually has one or both of his kids so has his hands full but always has a big grin and is really friendly. The younger kids like Sparrow and Jordon remind me how old I am and how young they are. In person they look like they should still be in high school...

Garry Lyon 3 times over the years. First when I was kid playing for Bentleigh Juniors he took training. I was the only Demon and felt like I got all the attention. 
Again when I was on a school excursion in China Town, I was copying same lettering and he and Jimmy came and had a look at what I was doing, it was at that point I wished I’d put some effort into my work. 
Then as grown person at Crown cinema, saw him grabbing some Skittles and went and had a chat. Then sat behind him in Rush Hour, it dawned on me I felt like a stalker playing the long game. 

Jimmy again at the footy a few times, nicest bloke. And just a hello to Mr Flower which was awesome. 

My younger brother was crossing Nepean Hwy one night in his mid teens, Trapper pulled up to the lights in a taxi, hung out the window and yelled “Get on the cones!” and that’s my favourite footy anecdote. 

• Haha 1