JLT 2 vs. St. Kilda

Wiseblood

The squads are released for this game later today, so I thought a thread for the game itself wouldn't hurt.

Who do we expect to play this weekend?  Apart from someone like Lewis who may be rested with his calf injury, you would assume we would be fielding close to what our best 22 will look like for Round 1.

I'm excited to see us put the Saints away and complete the perfect preparation for Round 1!

UPDATE:

Melbourne v St Kilda at Casey Fields, 7.05pm AEDT

MELBOURNE

B: J.Wagner, O.McDonald, M.Hibberd
HB: J.Hunt, J.Lever, N.Jetta
C: C.Salem, C.Petracca, B.Stretch
HF: J.Garlett, C.Pedersen, J.Melksham
F: B.Fritsch, J.Hogan, M.Hannan
Foll: M.Gawn, C.Oliver, N.Jones
I/C: J.Harmes, A.Brayshaw, D.Tyson, S.Frost, C.Maynard, B.Vince, T.McDonald, T.Bugg                

Emerg: C.Spargo, D.Kent, J.Kennedy Harris, D.Keilty                        

In: N.Jetta, J.Garlett, D.Tyson, S.Frost
Out: J.Lewis (Injured), A.Neal-Bullen (rested)

Notable absentees: Jack Viney, Jordan Lewis, Alex Neal-Bullen,

Note that Melbourne is listed as four ins/two outs as 24 players took the field in its last JLT match v North Melbourne.

ST KILDA

B: J.Geary, N.Brown, D.Roberton
HB: J.Webster, J.Carlisle, S.Savage
C: J.Newnes, D.Armitage, J.Sinclair
HF: J.Billings, P.McCartin, J.Steele
F: J.Gresham, T.Membrey, J.Bruce
Foll: T.Hickey, S.Ross, J.Steven
I/C: L.Dunstan, B.Acres, K.Stevens, M.Weller, S.Gilbert, N.Coffield, H.Clark, R.Marshall                

Emerg: J.Lonie, N.Wright, B.White, L.Austin                          

In: J.Billings, J.Bruce, T.Hickey, K.Stevens
Out: B.Long, B.Longer (injured), J.Lonie, N.Wright 

Notable absentees: Billy Longer, Jack Lonie, Josh Battle, Hugh Goddard

• Like 1

It will be interesting when the squad gets announced.

ANB looks like missing and Harmes trained away from the main group according to training reports.

Kent stated at the family day he was looking forward to Thursday night and the shoulder was feeling good. Maybe he's a chance to play.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

I'd like to see Balic. So if ANB is out, that would work well, but I assume the squads will be reduced.

We elected to only play 24 in JLT1 (instead of 26).  JLT2 is 24, so no squad reduction.  Seemingly ANB and Lewis out (and probably Harmes) with Tyson, Viney, Jetta, Garlett potentially coming in and Frost / Balic / JKH / J Smith potentials.   I don't think they need to play Jetta or Garlett and they probably won't risk Viney.

9 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

I'd like to see Balic. So if ANB is out, that would work well, but I assume the squads will be reduced.

Yes Roger, Balic and Frosty maybe 

Ginger Baker ?

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Has he?  First I've heard of it.  I know he's had a niggle at training but there has been no suggestion of him 'doing his groin'.

Take it to the bank. It was sustained at training last week. Will not play Thursday and will be off legs all week. The club is hopeful he will be ready for Round 1.

Edited by Tough Kent
  • Thanks 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:

Take it to the bank. It was sustained at training last week. Will not play Thursday and will be off legs all week. The club is hopeful he will be ready for Round 1.

Groin or quad?

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

The squads are released for this game later today, so I thought a thread for the game itself wouldn't hurt.

Who do we expect to play this weekend?  Apart from someone like Lewis who may be rested with his calf injury, you would assume we would be fielding close to what our best 22 will look like for Round 1.

I'm excited to see us put the Saints away and complete the perfect preparation for Round 1!

Putting the Saints away with style would be very beneficial for the MFC and a big confidence-booster for the players. It is hard to imagine who the 'best 22' might be as a new-found depth seems to exaggerate our capabilities and potentials. I guess a series of 'trials' for some of our youthful recruits may be more appropriate to enable them to taste the steps in the ladder on which they may ascend. A good showing, win or lose, would give the supporters a clearer picture of such depth at this point. Then again, a win will be an assistant to erasing the dreaded game last round, last season. If we field a full blown team, our recruits will be one step behind and potentially, some of our more experienced but improved elements will lose heart, somewhat. Who would want to be a selector?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

It will be interesting when the squad gets announced.

ANB looks like missing and Harmes trained away from the main group according to training reports.

Kent stated at the family day he was looking forward to Thursday night and the shoulder was feeling good. Maybe he's a chance to play.

That is encouraging.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Copuchas said:

We elected to only play 24 in JLT1 (instead of 26).  JLT2 is 24, so no squad reduction.  Seemingly ANB and Lewis out (and probably Harmes) with Tyson, Viney, Jetta, Garlett potentially coming in and Frost / Balic / JKH / J Smith potentials.   I don't think they need to play Jetta or Garlett and they probably won't risk Viney.

The selectors should not risk Viney. He will produce in the season proper, just as the sun rises each day. Frost, Kent, Balic and Smith would be excellent additions for the Saints game. Ginger would also be very good - but who to rest? Let's be radical: rest Lever and Hannan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tough Kent said:

Groin

Not doubting you as such but the report from Family Day was that he had his upper thigh bandaged which would indicate Quad. You woudn't do that for a groin....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jnrmac said:

Not doubting you as such but the report from Family Day was that he had his upper thigh bandaged which would indicate Quad. You woudn't do that for a groin....

The bandage he was wearing covered his upper thigh/ groin area. The area he strained actually reaches down into his upper thigh.

• Like 1

I'd imagine they wouldn't look to make any forced changes given there's a couple out and couple of best 22 in

Out: Lewis, ANB, (Harmes)
In: Tyson, Garlett, 

FB: Hibberd  Oscar  Hunt
HB: Wagner  Lever  Vince
C: Jones  Oliver  Stretch
HF: Bugg  Hogan  Melksham
FF: Garlett T Mc   Fritsch
Foll: Gawn  Petracca Salem
Int: Brayshaw, Tyson, Maynard, Hannan, Pedersen, Harmes/other

Frost a reasonable option if they are looking for something different and I'd take a chance on Dion Johnstone but I'm predicting they keep the same group.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I'm not a physio but groin muscles - the adductors - go from the pelvis to the thigh. If you were to put a compression bandage on a groin strain it would wrap around the thigh. 

• Like 2

How about the saints?? What are our issues going to be on Thursday ?? Longer has played well on Maxy recently. Are there tall forwards going to be a problem. We surely have their midfield covered. Will they have the firepower to get enough goals? 

Who goes to McCartin ?

saints aren't a particularly 'tall' side so i imagine it may be a decision btw one of o mac or frost holding a key defender roll down?

they've said all along that we're going to play best 22, but it would seem at least five of the ostensible best 22 won't be available...harmes, lewis, viney, tyson and anb all mia...

B: Jetta - O Mac - Hibberd
HB: Vince - Lever - Brayshaw
C: Jones - Salem - Hunt
HF: Petracca - Hogan - Melksham
F: Fritsch - T Mac - Garlett
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Bugg
I/c: Stretch - Hannan - Maynard - Pedersen
Emerg: Kent - Frost - JKH - Wagner

looking forward to seeing how we go as a significant chunk of our midfield engine room is now missing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

I can only assume that you believe the groin exists somewhere above the waist?

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'd imagine they wouldn't look to make any forced changes given there's a couple out and couple of best 22 in

Out: Lewis, ANB, (Harmes)
In: Tyson, Garlett, 

FB: Hibberd  Oscar  Hunt
HB: Wagner  Lever  Vince
C: Jones  Oliver  Stretch
HF: Bugg  Hogan  Melksham
FF: Garlett T Mc   Fritsch
Foll: Gawn  Petracca Salem
Int: Brayshaw, Tyson, Maynard, Hannan, Pedersen, Harmes/other

Frost a reasonable option if they are looking for something different and I'd take a chance on Dion Johnstone but I'm predicting they keep the same group.

We need Frosty in this team as the Saints are a running machine and he can counter in this regard.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pineapple dee said:

How about the saints?? What are our issues going to be on Thursday ?? Longer has played well on Maxy recently. Are there tall forwards going to be a problem. We surely have their midfield covered. Will they have the firepower to get enough goals? 

Who goes to McCartin ?

If Bruce, McCartin and Membrey all play then it tests our match ups if we don't play Frost - with Wagner, Hibberd or Hunt playing on Membrey. Might test Lever's ability to balance attacking and defending at CHB. Oscar will be FB and so probably spend most of the time on McCartin. I believe they played against each other in under 18's so it's a good test again. A lot of McCartin's game still looks below AFL standard but his ability to clunk a big pack mark is very good. So that's a good test for Oscar who needs to be more consistent in big aerial contests.

Billings (if fit), Gresham and a new kid in Hunter Clark actually provide the Saints midfield/forward line with some polish. They were rusty as could be against Carlton but could improve quickly and have a lot more quality than North did against us.

Their midfield depth is solid as well. Gawn is really the advantage around the packs. 

Their biggest weaknesses are isolating their defenders and then pressuring them with the ball and forcing skill errors. It should be a good test of Hogan/T Mc etc. ability to work together and for our pressure game plan.

Its time to get serious with Viney, Garlett, Tyson, Jetta are all best 22 and need to play prior to Round 1, if fit.

Assuming Lewis out only, with Harmes and ANB to recover and play.

B: Jetta - O Mac - Hibberd
HB: Vince - Lever - Brayshaw
C: Jones - Salem - Hunt
HF: Petracca - Hogan - Melksham
F: Bugg - T Mac - Garlett
Foll: Gawn - Oliver -  Viney

I/c: Harmes - Tyson - ANB - Hannan - (Maynard - Pedersen)

Emerg: Kent - Frost - JKH - Wagner - Stretch - Fritsch