• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

Christian Petracca declares his loyalty (2018)

7 minutes ago, adonski said:

You over estimate Collingwood. You don't lose Stepho, Treloar & Phillips for effectively nothing unless you bring in a big fish that same year. 

Not how it works mate. Clubs work a fair way out with their key targets, they don't just randomly pop up in trade week and go 'oh hey we wanna trade for Petracca...'

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How this for timing - I literally just opened my four year old son’s new membership pack. On the front of his membership card, it has a photo of Petracca. He’s Henry’s favourite player - Henry th

Was searching for a new avatar and stumbled on a pic of the greatest moment in Nathan Buckleys life.     

2 year Contract Extension. WELL DONE TRAC!!! ???

Posted Images

I’m of the mind it all comes down to our performance this year. I truly believe we can go all the way. I think at a minimum Oliver and Petracca are expecting a very tight Prelim as a minimum. If we do that they’ll stay, anything less and we’ve got a fight in our hands

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, adonski said:

You over estimate Collingwood. You don't lose Stepho, Treloar & Phillips for effectively nothing unless you bring in a big fish that same year. 

That's not how it works mate..

okay, let's play it out

we say to pies 'take him this year' - we want their first rounder (which they don't want anyway cos of daicos) and another first rounder, at a minimum, i would expect - i'd also be asking for a lower tier best 22 player in addition to the two first rounders - say a quaynor or a brayden sier or a john noble or what have you

so their 2021 first rounder, 2022 first rounder, and brayden sier for christian petracca (and effectively nick daicos)

they might just say 'we'll get him as a free agent at the end of 2022' but of course that is fraught with danger for them

personally i can't see trac or oliver leaving

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

More just pointing out this talk of Collingwood's cap being far tighter than ours is quite likely not very accurate.

Not sure how you're tearing up Melksham's contract early? And wouldn't think any of Jones, Jetta and Hibberd are on huge contracts that will gift us massive salary cap space. Hard to know for sure though.

Obviously hope both Clarry and Trac stay, but just think it's a bit naive for people to instantly write this off.

I am not writing it off, I am merely hoping with all my might that they both stay.

Replacing Jones, Jetta and Hibberd and others with youngsters, will be a saving and Melk could do a deal if he wanted to retire early.

Tracc and Clarry are not on nothing at the moment, so we are only finding the increase, not the whole salary.

The 4 players I named would have to be on $1.2m -$1.5m in total and if 4 youngsters were brought in, that would have to be nearly $1m saved. If TMac and Gus were traded/left/whatever,  how much extra would that leave us? 

I am just saying I don't think we will lose the boys over money. If it is another reason, there may be more to worry about.

Not sure most other club's players like the idea of a new player coming for money and affecting their salaries.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I am not writing it off, I am merely hoping with all my might that they both stay.

Replacing Jones, Jetta and Hibberd and others with youngsters, will be a saving and Melk could do a deal if he wanted to retire early.

Tracc and Clarry are not on nothing at the moment, so we are only finding the increase, not the whole salary.

The 4 players I named would have to be on $1.2m -$1.5m in total and if 4 youngsters were brought in, that would have to be nearly $1m saved. If TMac and Gus were traded/left/whatever,  how much extra would that leave us? 

I am just saying I don't think we will lose the boys over money. If it is another reason, there may be more to worry about.

Not sure most other club's players like the idea of a new player coming for money and affecting their salaries.

If we lost all of Jones, Jetta, Hibberd and Melksham and replaced them with cheap youngsters I don't think we're going anywhere mate. I also don't think TMac and Gus leaving is realistic.

Also not sure how you justify saying "Not sure most other club's players like the idea of a new player coming for money and affecting their salaries" but then talk about getting rid of loyal veterans to save money so we can pay 2 stars. Doesn't stack up IMO.

• Like 1

Hypothetically, if they wanted him this year, what do they have left to give up? He is contracted. Top 3 Brownlow. He isn’t going for a first rounder alone or a future 1st. Are they prepared to part with De Goey? Genuine questions, what on earth would they have to give to secure our club’s best player? 

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

If we lost all of Jones, Jetta, Hibberd and Melksham and replaced them with cheap youngsters I don't think we're going anywhere mate. I also don't think TMac and Gus leaving is realistic.

Also not sure how you justify saying "Not sure most other club's players like the idea of a new player coming for money and affecting their salaries" but then talk about getting rid of loyal veterans to save money so we can pay 2 stars. Doesn't stack up IMO.

Jones  and Jetta are clearly in their last year. Hibberd and Melksham are not loyal veterans. 
Not sure what you are in about.

What is your suggestion?

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Jones  and Jetta are clearly in their last year. Hibberd and Melksham are not loyal veterans. 
Not sure what you are in about.

What is your suggestion?

I'm not the one making suggestions mate.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

No, just knocking those that do mate. 

Replacing 4 veterans, 2 of which are in our 22 to this point, 2 which will likely be in next week, with 4 kids to save money so we can pay 2 stars is not a great suggestion.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Hypothetically, if they wanted him this year, what do they have left to give up? He is contracted. Top 3 Brownlow. He isn’t going for a first rounder alone or a future 1st. Are they prepared to part with De Goey? Genuine questions, what on earth would they have to give to secure our club’s best player? 

Might be like Howe, a coffee with Bucks and there you go it’s a done deal. 

My understanding is that Collingwood’s salary cap situation is far from resolved and they would have to move a few pieces around to make a huge offer for Trac. Then the question is what do they offer Melbourne? Darcy Moore plus a future first rounder? 

From Melbourne’s viewpoint, I think the likely retirements and delistings leave us well placed to make fair and reasonable offers to retain our star players and remain active in trading.

• Like 8
On 4/4/2021 at 4:27 PM, Lord Nev said:

We also paid a fortune to Gus and TMac, have Gawn, Lever and May on decent coin, and Oliver to re-sign this year...

Collingwood aren't dumb operators. They're the biggest team in the league, if anyone thinks they were just 'dumb' last year then I don't think they understand that club. I would be wary.

Woo wee . . . so here's the reality:

"They're the biggest team in the league".

• They are not the biggest team in the league measured by membership or revenue (they barely scrape into third place on membership).
  • They have won two premierships in 63 years (one less than us). 
  • They've been broke at least twice in that time. And
  • Never, ever, landed a superstar from another club that's gone on and performed for them. 

Tracktor, I suspect, won't be the "dumb operator". 

I fear Tracktor doing a hammy in a preliminary final much more than I fear Collingwood's recruiting department. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

40 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

• They are not the biggest team in the league measured by membership or revenue (they barely scrape into third place on membership).
  • They have won two premierships in 63 years (one less than us). 
  • They've been broke at least twice in that time. And
  • Never, ever, landed a superstar from another club that's gone on and performed for them. 

Tracktor, I suspect, won't be the "dumb operator". 

I fear Tracktor doing a hammy in a preliminary final much more than I fear Collingwood's recruiting department. 

Ok, so you're saying then that Melbourne are a bigger club than Collingwood? I mean, we've won more flags than them in the past 63 years right? Come on mate. Silly comment. Collingwood are a massive club with a lot of money and power.

Taylor Adams is their reigning BnF winner and an All-Australian. He's be an ok recruit wouldn't you say?

The reality is, like it or not, Collingwood are a big club with a lot of pull and power. If you're trying to write them off or label them as a dumb club then I think you're not being 'realistic' at all.

• Like 1

Interest in Petracca is real, and not just from the Pies, but i'd be staggered if he left, all i've heard on the matter is that Trac is in the same boat as Clarry, ongoing conversations with the club, no indication that he's wanting to wait and see how the clubs going at this stage, it's mostly, and justifiably from his end, about money, he obviously thinks he deserves big $$ and given he's in the best few players in the game i tend to agree. 

you just look at the way he celebrated goals and got around the boys on the weekend and you can see a bloke who's invested, loves the Melbourne football club and his team mates and given the team is off to a strong start, and the prospective chasing clubs are not, it'd be staggering if he left. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Trac and Oli will stay, the real elite talent of the comp tend to stay in one spot or atleast close to home. A few exceptions of course but it's not going to be easy for any victorian club not named North to put together a package deal in picks for us to accept and money to turn their heads.

I'd be more worried about locking down Jackson then either of those two.

• Like 3

Keep winning games of footy and these contracts will take care of themselves.

Collingwood hold no fear for me. Players and their managers have long memories. They saw how Treloar and Stephenson were treated during trade period. Why would you join an organisation like that? 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Huh? He didn't say that at all.

14 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

They have won two premierships in 63 years (one less than us). 

• Facepalm 1
1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

Keep winning games of footy and these contracts will take care of themselves.

Collingwood hold no fear for me. Players and their managers have long memories. They saw how Treloar and Stephenson were treated during trade period. Why would you join an organisation like that? 

Totally agree with all of that, particularly the bit about the pies. They must’ve lost a lot of credibility with the way they went about their business during the trade period was awful, I know there’s a level of prestige and exposure that comes with playing for Collingwood but why would you trust them after how they handled those two players exits?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MurDoc516 said:

Trac and Oli will stay, the real elite talent of the comp tend to stay in one spot or atleast close to home. A few exceptions of course but it's not going to be easy for any victorian club not named North to put together a package deal in picks for us to accept and money to turn their heads.

I'd be more worried about locking down Jackson then either of those two.

Jackson you just know will bolt for Perth at some point. But he's going to be a star and we need to be as successful as possible while we have him because he's the type of player that is very hard to replace. Need to be okay with losing him which can only happen if we win a flag while he's in red and blue.

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to Christian Petracca declares his loyalty (2018)