Dingo

Preseason Training Week commencing 19 February 2018

How’s hunt tracking haven’t heard much about him this off season, he is 1 player who I have high hopes for i think he can elevate himself into the All Australian mix 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brendan said:

How’s hunt tracking haven’t heard much about him this off season, he is 1 player who I have high hopes for i think he can elevate himself into the All Australian mix 

Being managed, did full session today

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, daisycutter said:

i'm glad you added 'nearly' saty else i would be rendered incredulous

So that would make him laconic? :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently Dom Tyson is in trouble with a calf strain. I saw him last week in Richmond on Tuesday with a compression bandage over his calf so not so much a new injury?? Calf injuries are by nature niggly and can take some time to heal. Hopefully not a bad tear.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

In one of the contested forward drills where the ball was lobbed in high to T Smith and Weid vs Keilty, Hibberd and OMac with smalls running in for the crumbs and snap on goal, Tim took a blinder, chest mark on top of the pack, contender for mark of the season, except it hasn’t started yet! Both Tim and Keilty took a couple of clean marks in packs under pressure. I watched Weid closely and he doesn’t seem to be able to work his way into position in that type of situation, didn’t take a mark, got one defensive fist in from behind and kneeing Hibberd in the head in the process. 

They did a number of tackling drills, very entertaining where a player has to pick up a rolling ball and get past the tackler who was instructed on how to wrap the ball carrier up. Very physical stuff. A later drill focused on how not to get wrapped up and we saw a lot of Dusty don’t argues being dished out to ward off the tackler. I think it was Bugg who putJones flat on his back with a straight arm to the chest much to everyone’s amusement. If we tackle with the intent like I saw today in these drills we will break open a lot games. 

Re injuries - Harley Balic who is looking much fitter than when I first saw him train seemed to strain something at one stage, got some treatment on upper thigh and retired from the drills to do laps. Nothing serious. Nev running laps, everyone else present was involved in the drills. 

Weid is probably still just getting his feel back for the contest and finding the drop of the ball at the minute. He hasn’t done much with the group his preseason.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Apparently Dom Tyson is in trouble with a calf strain. I saw him last week in Richmond on Tuesday with a compression bandage over his calf so not so much a new injury?? Calf injuries are by nature niggly and can take some time to heal. Hopefully not a bad tear.

Hey Pick, the quote on the Club Website states he will miss this week but be back for the following round.  Hope it is the case

I was at the official team photo day. Dom arrived with ice strapped on his calf. so report that he did it on Saturday a bit rich.

52 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Hey Pick, the quote on the Club Website states he will miss this week but be back for the following round.  Hope it is the case

He is fine spoke to him yesterday as I said a few posts ago, another week

17 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Laconic is the word you want, always looks like he going to his execution when walking to training

laconic
ləˈkɒnɪk/
adjective
adjective: laconic
  1. (of a person, speech, or style of writing) using very few words.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

laconic
ləˈkɒnɪk/
adjective

Somewhat ironic that so many words have been written on this thread about the meaning of 'laconic'.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, demonmerv said:

I was at the official team photo day. Dom arrived with ice strapped on his calf. so report that he did it on Saturday a bit rich.

He tweaked the opposite calf on Saturday, it happened directly in font of me & I overheard the conversation he had with Crossy. He said he felt a tweak and tightness in the other calf, had a rub down, did a couple of run throughs shook his head and went inside. It didn't seem to bad , I think they're just being cautious.

2 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

laconic
ləˈkɒnɪk/
adjective

Perhaps "Laxadaisical" was the word. 

6 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Perhaps "Laxadaisical" was the word. 

Perhaps middle aged blokes should stop getting so hung up about language change and just accept that it happens. The meanings of words constantly shift and evolve - even dictionaries note this and are constantly updating definitions with new usages and noting older, now archaic meanings.

A couple of great examples are the words gay and [censored]. a generation or two ago they mean happy / carefree and unusual respectively. Now they almost exclusively refer to homosexual men (or homosexuality more broadly) and even people who grew up using those terms in their original meaning hardly use them in that way.

So accept that laconic now has a second meaning of laid-back, your kids will ask which team the Dees are versing on the weekend and that millennials will refer to everything as awesome and there is nothing wrong with any of it. In fact, the advent of widespread literacy has actually slowed the historical rate of language change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thrice said:

Perhaps middle aged blokes should stop getting so hung up about language change and just accept that it happens. The meanings of words constantly shift and evolve - even dictionaries note this and are constantly updating definitions with new usages and noting older, now archaic meanings.

A couple of great examples are the words gay and [censored]. a generation or two ago they mean happy / carefree and unusual respectively. Now they almost exclusively refer to homosexual men (or homosexuality more broadly) and even people who grew up using those terms in their original meaning hardly use them in that way.

So accept that laconic now has a second meaning of laid-back, your kids will ask which team the Dees are versing on the weekend and that millennials will refer to everything as awesome and there is nothing wrong with any of it. In fact, the advent of widespread literacy has actually slowed the historical rate of language change.

Sooooo verbose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Sooooo verbose. 

Unfortunately I was not born with the pithy one-liner gene such as your good self Mr Tremblay.

Ironically I am quite direct when speaking, some (over the age of say 50) could say laconic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thrice said:

Fair enough- (By the way, "like" seems to be Millenials equivalent of "uhm"); in fact there is a fantastic BBC doco by Melvyn Bragg about how the English language has changed. 

Infer and imply on the other hand......

I'll remind people that this is a training discussion thread and should be treated as such. The spelling, grammar and word origin and meaning thread can be continued on the General Board. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

No way Tyson is  risked  for JLT 2 with a calf issue, despite Goodwin confident he would.

Agreed.

Would be better served playing him in the VFL practice match.

5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

No way Tyson is  risked  for JLT 2 with a calf issue, despite Goodwin confident he would.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I would rather he plays a JLT and blows the calf, rather than him being rested for the season proper and blowing the calf in the first quarter versus Geelong.  If he is fit, then he should resume through the JLT so that he has at least one game under his belt after his recovery to confirm it actually is match-ready.  And if he is, then fantastic, we know he is good to go in the H&A.  Tyson is not the sort of player we should 'rush back' from an injury, unsure if he can run out a game.  A tweaked calf would end his day.  Too often we rushed people back last year and it cost us.  That crapola has to stop.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

I would rather he plays a JLT and blows the calf, rather than him being rested for the season proper and blowing the calf in the first quarter versus Geelong.  If he is fit, then he should resume through the JLT so that he has at least one game under his belt after his recovery to confirm it actually is match-ready.  And if he is, then fantastic, we know he is good to go in the H&A.  Tyson is not the sort of player we should 'rush back' from an injury, unsure if he can run out a game.  A tweaked calf would end his day.  Too often we rushed people back last year and it cost us.  That crapola has to stop.

talking of players needing a game before risking an afl game, do you know when the vfl season starts? i seem to have a vague recollection that last year they started a few weeks after the afl which would create a problem getting a decent tryout game for some players

and yes, i'd prefer tyson to be tried out in jlt2 rather than afl1 

3 hours ago, buck_nekkid said:

Too often we rushed people back last year and it cost us.

Myth.

54 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Myth.

Who came back after injury last year and was immediately at their best?  Max? Viney? Watts?  We had sub par performances on almost every occasion.  What exactly is the myth?