• Podcast:     

Preseason Training Week commencing - 05/02/18

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I headed down by bike for first session since last season and as Saty has mentioned, it was primarily a skills session with most of the work divided into 3 groups - forwards, mids and defenders.

I popped down briefly. Not a huge amount to report. Everyone seemed to know what they were doing and went about their business. But I was watching Weideman pretty closely as he was doing his run-

Posted Images

Anyway, back on topic. Watched a bit of training this morning from about 10:30 until they finished after 11.

A couple of new entrants in to the rehab group.

1. The coach. Goody had a knee bandaged up and was on crutches before getting carted back to AAMI park at the end of the session.

2. Death, taxes and Dom Tyson getting injured in preseason. Dom had compression on his right calf. 

Rehab group: Viney, Kent, T Smith, J Smith, Vanders, Mckenna, Weed, JeffyG, Tyson. They were doing a little version of slips catching with footies then a decent boxing hit out.

Main group were split in to multiple groups. Seemed to be a lot of small drills. Didn't really notice any particular themes of interest.

So really just some tidbits:

- Salem and Jetta sat out a drill at one stage, Hogan the last drill and wandered back to AAMI
- Frost's set shot for goal remain the scariest thing you'll ever see, but at the end of training him launcher a torp from the goal square to near midfield
- Harry Petty kicks with a very flat and penetrating trajectory
- Flippers looks fitter in the legs since late last year, starting to look more like an athlete
- Balic did extra kicking at the end of the session with Crossy. 
- Melksham seems a bit more built than last season, not major, just less sinewy. 

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Anyway, back on topic. Watched a bit of training this morning from about 10:30 until they finished after 11.

1. The coach. Goody had a knee bandaged up and was on crutches before getting carted back to AAMI park at the end of the session.

2. Death, taxes and Dom Tyson getting injured in preseason. Dom had compression on his right calf. 

Rehab group: Viney, Kent, T Smith, J Smith, Vanders, Mckenna, Weed, JeffyG, Tyson. They were doing a little version of slips catching with footies then a decent boxing hit out.

Main group were split in to multiple groups. Seemed to be a lot of small drills. Didn't really notice any particular themes of interest.

- Salem and Jetta sat out a drill at one stage, Hogan the last drill and wandered back to AAMI
- Frost's set shot for goal remain the scariest thing you'll ever see, but at the end of training him launcher a torp from the goal square to near midfield
- Flippers looks fitter in the legs since late last year, starting to look more like an athlete
- Melksham seems a bit more built than last season, not major, just less sinewy. 

Couldn't attend today, working, any feedback on how Gawn went

1 hour ago, tiers said:

OMac has much more potential than LRT ever had. Just be patient as he develops.

Frost is bigger, stronger and faster than Sean Wight was and could, if coached well, become an outstanding 60-80m ball carrier rapidly transitioning from defence to attack. Imagine if our forwards were trained to respond to his play.

Our dearly beloved and missed Sean was brilliant in his own way.

Right up there with the best players ever to wear our jumper IMO.

I LOVED the way he played. If our current list developed the same G'N'D, we would be unstoppable.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Thanks for the report.

On Balic, a lot of watchers commented on him being behind the rest of the squad in fitness due to his time-out last season.

How's he looking now in regards to match fitness?  Has he caught up with the rest of the squad or is he still a little behind?

10 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Thanks for the report.

On Balic, a lot of watchers commented on him being behind the rest of the squad in fitness due to his time-out last season.

How's he looking now in regards to match fitness?  Has he caught up with the rest of the squad or is he still a little behind?

I haven't seen a running session since he did a time trial with Maynard where he was clearly beaten but not embarrassed. From early match simulation drills he showed an ability to find the ball and use it creatively. He had to get fitter and hopefully that's happened just by doing a good chunk main training and his kicking needed to be more consistent so I was glad to see him working on that today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Thanks for the report.

Balic is another one on a tightly controlled program, building up his base fitness, so one session main group then maybe a rehab etc etc  the Machine/Doc/Crossy is in charge of it

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a note on Sean Wight: He mastered at least 3 codes... Soccer, Gaelic and AFL (VFL)... He was in the top 10 most courageous of all time (watch his games on a bigger, uglier, VFL icon, Plugger!)... I was at his pre-wake at the Bentleigh Club (Jimmy spoke for him, even though he was also diagnosed at the time) ... His athleticism was stunning, considering his knee reco in his first (maybe 2nd) year... to top it off, he played with authentic Brownlow values (like The Tulip)... consider some of the bullying thugs who have won Charlie!

• Like 15
28 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

here it is february and we still have a long rehab list. even if many get off rehab we will still have a lot of players with a limited pre-season

not the best way to start a season

i'm starting to feel like od

With the exception of Viney most are far from our best dc. Chin up we will play finals in 2018

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, waynewussell said:

Just a note on Sean Wight: He mastered at least 3 codes... Soccer, Gaelic and AFL (VFL)... He was in the top 10 most courageous of all time (watch his games on a bigger, uglier, VFL icon, Plugger!)... I was at his pre-wake at the Bentleigh Club (Jimmy spoke for him, even though he was also diagnosed at the time) ... His athleticism was stunning, considering his knee reco in his first (maybe 2nd) year... to top it off, he played with authentic Brownlow values (like The Tulip)... consider some of the bullying thugs who have won Charlie!

My brother played against him at golf in the club championships at the Heritage later in his short life and yes Sean was a hard man to beat, off single figures so you can add golf to the list of sports he mastered, not that anyone ever masters golf. 

Last season when everybody was getting injured (Gawn, Viney, Jones etc) Tyson was playing basically every game. Did he trade midseason injuries for preseason ones?

11 hours ago, old dee said:

With the exception of Viney most are far from our best dc. Chin up we will play finals in 2018

The other positive this preseason is guys like:

Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Hogan have all had a full preseason compared to previous years. 

Viney is struggling but seems like his preseason isn’t much different to his last two, when he still managed to play well.

l look at our playing group and we have more talent than in the last 50 years, yes I’ve been watching the Dees for that long!

No holidays for me this September! Will be watching the Dees play finals.

• Like 4

Sean Wight was one of the very best half backs I had seen.

• Amazing leap, so he would often be third man up and punch the ball thirty meters in the correct direction.
  • Speed to burn.
  • Great vision and always correctly placed placed his body to block oposition.
  • A true club man, absolute shame that he left us to soon.

I am still sad to this day, that such a good bloke was taken to soon.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, daisycutter said:

here it is february and we still have a long rehab list. even if many get off rehab we will still have a lot of players with a limited pre-season

not the best way to start a season

i'm starting to feel like od

DC Weed, Hannan, Smith x 2 etc could be with main group , but we do things properly now and they are left in the more than capable hands of Daniel Cross to attempt to kill them each rehab session.

Spoke to Smith x 2 and Weed, they are nearly on.par with rest of squad as far as base fitness goes

Tyson tweaked something on uWednesday so rehab

We only have 3 'in doubt' at moment, McKenna AVB and of course Viney but he is now top speed straight line running so he is on his way

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

My brother played against him at golf in the club championships at the Heritage later in his short life and yes Sean was a hard man to beat, off single figures so you can add golf to the list of sports he mastered, not that anyone ever masters golf. 

Sean Wight was a brilliant he & Robbie Flower were my favourites. I remember seeing Sean play on Ablett etc. He was so athletic diving full stretch to stop a certain goal etc He copped a lot as well and was so fair. Unlike Lethal who snotted him behind play.

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

DC Weed, Hannan, Smith x 2 etc could be with main group , but we do things properly now and they are left in the more than capable hands of Daniel Cross to attempt to kill them each rehab session.

Spoke to Smith x 2 and Weed, they are nearly on.par with rest of squad as far as base fitness goes

We only have 3 'in doubt' at moment, McKenna AVB and of course Viney but he is now top speed straight line running so he is on his way

Gee if Vanders doesn't play soon can we afford 2 keep him on the lust.  He's barely played in 2 yrs & has hardly cemented himself on the best 22 

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Great news on Viney. That’s a big step. 

On 07/02/2018 at 3:13 PM, DemonAndrew said:

Tigers were definitely a 1-4 forward structure - they had jack, one mid sized marking mid (Dusty), then three pressure smalls

I imagine we’ll be 2-3 or 2-4 with T Mac and Hogan supported primarily by Jeff and then a rotation of mids, with Trac looking to be our raging bull Dusty-a-like

I haven’t seen any reports of Jeffy  G ....  injured?

1 hour ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

Kinda unrelated, but not sure which thread to ask: 

any ideas/murmurings on our leadership group for this year? I’ve noticed other clubs announcing theirs thus week..

Purely a guess. Jones & Viney - Captains, Lever, TMac and Gawn - Vices/Deputy’s

13 hours ago, monoccular said:

I haven’t seen any reports of Jeffy  G ....  injured?

No Jeff is fine, doing a lot of extra running, tweaked a rib early on preaseason,  but that cleared up

Just ticks of the sessions, apart from dumping Dion J when doing tackling drill a couple of weeks ago, showing he was still top dog

• Thanks 2