Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2018 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

Whispering_Jack

I have discovered a great prospect for the Melbourne Football Club. Warragul’s Noah Gown kicked 5 goals last week for the Gippsland Power in their win against Northern Knights. He’s 193cm and plays KPF - with that name, he would be great standing in the forward line next to Maxy when the big man’s resting. 

“TAC Cup 2018

Northern Knights   5.1  6.2  9.8  10.8 (68)
Gippsland Power   2.0  7.3  8.4  13.7 (85)

GOALS:
Northern Knights: Naylor 3 D'Intinosante 2 Potter  Wild  McKenzie  Barro  Bowkett 
Gippsland Power: Gown 5 Duursma 2 Hodge  Motton  Flanders  Hood  Hume  Mosquito 

BEST:
Northern Knights: Potter D'Intinosante Philp Bowkett Wild Davies
Gippsland Power: Beck McGannon Gown Flanders Reid Motton”

31 minutes ago, The Great Pretender said:

BEST:
Northern Knights: Potter D'Intinosante Philp Bowkett Wild Davies
Gippsland Power: Beck McGannon Gown Flanders Reid Motton”

Great to see 2 Fish Creek boys in McGannon and Flanders named in the bests for the Power!

On 7/6/2018 at 10:39 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

We will likely have picks 31, 44,49 + Toby Bedford as Next Generation. 

Clearly, our list management and recruiting people aren't as obsessed with early draft picks as were their counterparts ten years ago.

They already have managed to pluck out two category B rookies for development at Casey including young Bradtke who at 18 years and 205cm seems perfect for that sort of role where he can patiently serve his time as understudy for Maxy.

History shows there are still some good prospects in the 30-40 range and here's hoping our people can snag some more Fritsch/Spargo types this year.

• Like 1

I like the look of Tom McKenzie from Northern Knights for our 2nd round pick. Bit of a smooth mover who uses it well on the outside:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/midfielder-tom-mckenzie-set-to-be-one-of-northern-knights-top-afl-draft-prospects-this-year/news-story/fee30e9ad40d73756b0c624e3ca9b83e

Third round pick maybe Fraser Turner from Tassie to add a bit of pace maybe?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

We are interested in Sam Collins and Marty Hore from VFL apparently. Hoped to get Collins as DFA, but must go in the draft now.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-agent-target-collins-sent-to-the-draft-20180813-p4zx9t.html

Lol at the AFL rule, they can't even make a simple rule change without controversy lol 

On 8/15/2018 at 9:34 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Definitely there is a chance MFC will look at mature aged VFL players. Lockhart (Casey) Collins (Werribee) Hore (Collingwood) & Corey Wagner (Casey). All will be drafted or rookied

Agreed. With little likelihood of having picks in the top 25, our focus might well be on players from the state leagues -

Dees will have 2 or 3 2nd round picks this draft!

The Gold Coast will trade some of there picks away for seasoned players! We will end up with at least one of these I believe.

Does anybody know when Kobe Farmer’s draft year will be?

49 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

Dees will have 2 or 3 2nd round picks this draft!

The Gold Coast will trade some of there picks away for seasoned players! We will end up with at least one of these I believe.

Does anybody know when Kobe Farmer’s draft year will be?

For?

I found this in the Herald Sun. 

It might prove useful. Here are his top 10:

GARY BUCKENARA’S TOP 30 DRAFT PROSPECTS  

1. JACK LUKOSIUS  Key forward, 194cm, 85kg, Woodville-West Torrens  Buckenara says: Lukosius has so much talent. He has a beautiful and relaxed kicking action, which is crucial as a goalkicker and is very athletic. He showed why he’s one of the favourites to be taken with the No.1 pick when he dominated the first game of the under-18 championships against Western Australia, highlighting his range of skills and versatility. I’ve rated Lukosius as my No.1 pick at this stage of the year because he’s one of the most exciting talls to come onto the scene for some time. He moves across the ground really well, reads the play and I believe he’s going to be a very good AFL player for a long time.  Plays like: Tom Lynch (Gold Coast)  

2. SAM WALSH  Midfielder, 183cm, 74kg, Geelong Falcons  Buckenara says: A lightly framed outside midfielder at this stage, Walsh competes well in the contest and once he’s added more strength in an AFL system he’ll get even better. He’s got nice skills, is a good decision-maker and will no doubt be taken very early.  Plays like: Joel Selwood (Geelong) Sam Walsh in action for Vic Country. 

3. IZAK RANKINE  Midfielder, 180cm, 76kg, West Adelaide  Buckenara says: Rankine is one of the most exciting players in this draft. He really stands out because he’s got pace and skill and uses that to great effect to hit-up teammates with his precise kicking and hits the scoreboard. He’s a gamebreaker. Rankine played senior SANFL footy last year and starred in the 2017 championships as an underage player, while he was also outstanding in this year’s carnival, particularly in the win over Vic Metro when he was best on ground after kicking five goals, including three in the first quarter. He’s a lock to be taken very early in this draft.  Plays like: Jaeger O’Meara (Hawthorn)  

4. BEN KING  Key forward/defender, 202cm, 85kg, Sandringham Dragons  Buckenara says: The King twins are both outstanding prospects but I’d have Ben just ahead of his brother. He played mostly down back earlier this year until Max suffered a serious knee injury and was moved into a key forward role where he’s impressed. That move certainly hasn’t done any damage to his reputation as one of the best players in this draft and really, has only added to his appeal given he has excelled at both ends of the ground. Ben can also help out in the ruck, is a good kick, has great hands in the air and is very athletic for his size.  Plays like: Tom Lynch (Gold Coast) 

5. BAILEY SMITH  Midfielder, 184cm, 79kg, Sandringham Dragons  Buckenara says: Smith is an elite decision-maker who reads the play really well and has a good outside game. His running ability is strong, which allows him to get on his bike, create space and be a dangerous option in transition. He’s a very smart footballer.  Plays like: Josh Kelly (GWS)  

6. NICK BLAKEY  Forward/midfielder, 195cm, 85kg, NSW-ACT/Sydney Swans Academy  Buckenara says: The son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne player John Blakey, Nick is versatile in that he can play all over the ground whether it be midfield, forward or defence. He’s a tremendous athlete and a very smart footballer and has chosen the Swans as his desired destination as an academy selection. He’s a potential star and it’s a huge bonus for Sydney.  Plays like: Patrick Cripps (Carlton) 

7. TARRYN THOMAS  Midfielder, 189cm, 73kg, North Launceston  Buckenara says: An exciting playmaker, Thomas looks to be a very good prospect. Watch him closely through the midfield – he’s a smart decision-maker and a very clever player. He’s available to North Melbourne as a Next Generation Academy player.  Plays like: Shaun Burgoyne (Hawthorn)

8. MAX KING  Key forward, 201cm, 84kg, Sandringham Dragons  Buckenara says: Despite undergoing a knee reconstruction earlier this year after tearing his ACL, Max, like his twin brother, is one of the top prospects in this draft. He’s got too much talent to be overlooked early because of his injury and I’ve got no doubt a club will swoop in the top-10. He’ll develop into a key forward/ruckman at AFL level, with his athleticism one of the key aspects of his game. He’s a nice kick, a good mark and is also pretty dangerous at ground level despite his size.  P lays like: Tom Lynch (Gold Coast)  

9. JACKSON HATELY  Half-forward, 190cm, 81kg, Central District  Buckenara says: After a good under-18 carnival, Hately has continued his impressive form at SANFL level and pushed himself up the draft order. The big-bodied high half-forward should have a lot of admirers because he’s a bit of an all-rounder in that he finds the ball, uses it pretty well and can also hit the scoreboard.  Plays like: Tom Lynch (Adelaide)  

10. BAILEY WILLIAMS  Key forward/ruckman, 198cm, 95kg, Dandenong Stingrays  Buckenara says: Williams is a big boy at 198cm and 95kg but also has great athleticism. At this stage he’s still a bit of a project player but my crystal ball tells me he will be a highly sought after forward/ruckman for the future.  Plays like: Patrick Ryder (Port Adelaide)    

• Thanks 1

The next ten in Bucky’s Top 30.

11. CONNOR ROZEE Midfielder, 184cm, 72kg, North Adelaide Buckenara says: Another South Australian who has really impressed, Rozee has footy smarts and is a good decision-maker with ball in hand. He shows great poise and is a really skilful player.

Plays like: Bryce Gibbs (Adelaide)

12. IAN HILL Small forward, 175cm 76kg, Perth Buckenara says: The cousin of Fremantle’s Stephen and Bradley Hill, Ian has a lot of tricks. He’s a quick and dangerous small forward who is really clever around the goals. He does need to work on his endurance but he has class, so it would be a surprise if he’s overlooked in the first round of this draft because he should continue to improve.

Plays like: Eddie Betts (Adelaide)

13. XAVIER DUURSMA Midfielder/defender, 185cm, 71kg, Gippsland Power Buckenara says: I really liked what Duursma produced in the under-18 carnival and I think a lot of AFL recruiters would be thinking the same. He’s a talented and versatile midfielder/half-back who attacks the ball hard and uses his skills to create. He’s captaining Gippsland Power this year, so he shows great leadership potential.

Plays like: Sam Docherty (Carlton)

14. CURTIS TAYLOR Half-forward/midfielder, 186cm, 79kg, Calder Cannons Buckenara says: Taylor has a touch of class about him. He shows genuine footy nous and a good goal sense, while he can also push up into the midfield. He’s got good speed, is a long kick and can influence a game without winning a heap of the ball.

Plays like: Isaac Heeney (Sydney Swans)

15. LIAM STOCKER Midfielder, 184cm, 83kg, Sandringham Dragons Buckenara says: Stocker had an early injury setback this year so we didn’t get to see him play in the under-18 carnival but he’s really started to shine for the Dragons, which should see his draft stocks rise. He’s a bit of a bolter at this stage but I really like what he does around the stoppages. He’s not afraid to win the hard ball.

Plays like: Nathan Jones (Melbourne)

16. ZAC BUTTERS Midfielder, 181cm, 70kg, Western Jets Buckenara says: A lightly-framed midfielder, Butters unfortunately injured his shoulder but has shown enough to be taken in the first round of this draft. He’s got that combination of speed and endurance clubs are looking for, combined with a lovely kick. Butters has also shown good footy nous, which will hold him in good stead. I think clubs will see and take the long-term view with him.

Plays like: Zac Fisher (Carlton)

17. RILEY COLLIER-DAWKINS Midfielder, 193cm, 88kg, Oakliegh Chargers Buckenara says: There’s a lot to like about Collier-Dawkins because even though he’s 193cm, he’s a midfielder who can go forward and take a mark and kick a goal. That’s the prototype for the current-day midfielder and I think it will see him have a lot of clubs ready to pounce in the draft.

Plays like: Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)

18. RHYLEE WEST Midfielder, 180cm, 80kg, Calder Cannons Buckenara says: It’s a good draft for father-son selections and West is one of the best available. The son of Bulldogs champion Scott West, Rhylee should develop into a nice midfielder. He has no trouble finding the footy, is a competitor and has good hands. Wouldn’t it be great to see him join Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore in the Bulldogs midfield?

Plays like: Scott West (Western Bulldogs)

19. EDWARD McHENRY Midfielder/small forward, 176cm, 71kg, Geelong Falcons Buckenara says: McHenry is an exciting small midfielder/forward who is fierce at the contest and is willing to tackle hard to win the ball back. He’s apparently a real character and an ideal type to come into an AFL club environment and win people over with his sense of humour and work ethic.

Plays like: Rory Sloane (Adelaide)

20. LUKE FOLEY Midfielder, 187cm, 75kg, Subiaco Buckenara says: Foley is a bit of a smoky but I think he could be a real gem as a midfield pick-up. I have a feeling there will be some interest in him because he does possess AFL traits clubs are looking for. He’s a smart footballer.

Plays like: Rhys Mathieson (Brisbane Lions)

• Like 1

The final 10 in Bucky’s Top 30.

21. WILL KELLY Key defender, 193cm, 83kg, Oakleigh Chargers Buckenara says: The son of Collingwood premiership player Craig Kelly, Will should be snapped up by the Magpies because he’s exactly what they need – a key defender. He had a good under-18 carnival and showed he can play on a variety of forwards because he’s very athletic. I’m positive he’ll join Darcy Moore, the Brown brothers and Josh Daicos as father-son recruits in black and white.

Plays like: Jake Kelly (Adelaide)

22. XAVIER O’HALLORAN Midfielder, 186cm, 82kg, Western Jets Buckenara says: O’Halloran is a genuine ball winner. He’s a brilliant kick, is clean with his hands and makes good decisions on most occasions. Named Western Jets captain this year, so shows great leadership potential.

Plays like: Luke Parker (Sydney Swans)

23. LUKE VALENTE Midfielder, 186cm, 80kg, Norwood Buckenara says: The South Australia under-18 skipper led his side well during the carnival and his performances were very consistent, which led to winning the South Australian MVP award. He has a good mixture of inside and outside game and should be looked at closely. His draft combine results will be interesting.

Plays like: Jacob Hopper (GWS Giants)

24. ISAAC QUAYNOR Small defender, 182cm, 82kg, Oakleigh Chargers Buckenara says: A versatile defender who can play both tall and small, Quaynor is quick and is able to use that to provide drive off half-back. He’s also a pretty good mark for his size. Quaynor is available to Collingwood via its Next Generation Academy and I don’t think they’ll let the opportunity to draft him pass them by.

Plays like: Lee Spurr (Fremantle)

25. JYE CALDWELL Midfielder, 184cm, 78kg, Bendigo Pioneers Buckenara says: Another player that was unfortunately injured during the under-18 carnival, Caldwell is a nice inside and outside player who has clean hands and good disposal awareness by making the right decisions most times. I’m sure clubs will see the longer term options for him.

Plays like: Liam Shiels (Hawthorn)

26. CHAYCE JONES Midfielder, 180cm, 74kg, Launceston Buckenara says: Another Tassie hopeful after a consistent under-18 carnival, Jones is classified as a midfielder but I’d describe him more as a small utility because he really can play all over the ground, whether it be forward, in the midfield or down back. He’s a real competitor who should improve dramatically in a full-time AFL environment.

Plays like: Jarrad McVeigh (Sydney Swans)

27. CONNOR McFADYEN Midfielder, 190cm, 81kg, Queensland/Brisbane Lions Academy Buckenara says: A Brisbane Lions Academy product, McFadyen will surely generate interest from a number of clubs which will force the Lions to use an early pick to get him. He’s a big-bodied midfielder who is a pretty good mark overhead. He’s got a cricket background but at 190cm he’s the modern-day midfield prototype and I don’t think the Lions will pass up the chance to get him.

Plays like: Dayne Beams (Brisbane Lions)

28. JACK BYTEL Midfielder, 188cm, 82kg, Calder Cannons Buckenara says: The Calder Cannons co-captain is a goalkicking midfielder and a very smart footballer who generally makes good decisions with ball in hand. Bytel has a good balance of inside and outside ball-winning ability.

Plays like: Steele Sidebottom (Collingwood)

29. LUKE ENGLISH Midfielder, 180cm, 76kg, Perth Buckenara says: English is a running machine and there’s so much to like about his work ethic and desire to win the contest. He does need to tidy up a few areas in his game but these types of players can be gems when given the opportunity to learn and improve in the right development program.

Plays like: Bradley Hill (Fremantle)

30. KIERAN BRIGGS Ruckman/key forward, 200cm, 98kg, NSW-ACT/GWS Giants Academy Buckenara says: Briggs is already a very big lad and is one of the few ruckman/forward types available in this draft so clubs will definitely have a look at him despite the fact he’s available to GWS via its academy. He’s a long-term development player who needs to strip body fat and replace it with muscle.

Plays like: Shane Mumford (GWS Giants)

Source: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/gary-buckenara-names-his-top-30-draft-prospects-ahead-of-what-has-been-labelled-the-next-super-draft/news-story/3e632480d76f92ab844973d18586c028