Jump to content

Demonland

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHARLIE SPARGO

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, juzzk1d said:

Spargo will be a massive addition to us. The main reasons why he dropped down the draft order was due to his height, and shoulder issues. This kid is an absolute jet, I know talent when I see it. Watch him play predominantly forward early in his career, not only kicking goals and applying much needed forward pressure but even taking contested marks (think Jamie Elliott).

His vision and kicking are elite also. When he develops more of a tank, will be pressed into the midfield as his delivery inside 50 will be a weapon.

Watch this space folks.

Does anyone know how Spargo rated in the kicking test?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, A F said:

Does anyone know how Spargo rated in the kicking test?

He sat out the combine due to a shoulder injury. Source afl.com

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fndee said:

He sat out the combine due to a shoulder injury. Source afl.com

Conspiracy theory question...have there ever been questions about prospective draftees missing the Combine with supposed injuries so as to avoid close scrutiny?

I stress that this question is not at all about Spargo. But it seems to me if a prospective draftee wishes to get to a specific club and that club wants that same player, couldn't they concoct an "injury" to reduce other clubs' interest in said player? 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Had to be said...

Extra points if you pronounced it 'looxury' in your head.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Spargo has previously coached Albury in the O & M  football league and I assume is still involved in some way at the club. With Crossy playing up there,  perhaps we had some inside info as well.... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All

I was having lunch and a drink at Coopers Inn Hotel today and the owners were telling me that Charlie is a very close family friend and they were saying that Charlie is very tough and should play very early in the season. One was saying that he and Charlie made their debut for the club on the same day in the seconds. Charlie was 15 and the person telling me the story was 34. Charlie was just about  best on the ground.   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get your money on early for the Rising Star

Old man a Super  Legend In Albury 

Grandfather a Bulldogs Premiership legend

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Melbournepotter said:

Paul Spargo has previously coached Albury in the O & M  football league and I assume is still involved in some way at the club. With Crossy playing up there,  perhaps we had some inside info as well.... 

Cross old man and Uncle Albury legends

Spargo even more so

Agree about the link

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1 December 2017 at 1:11 AM, Old Bear said:

Cross old man and Uncle Albury legends

Spargo even more so

Agree about the link

Spent many a Saturday afternoon watching them run around. Crossy's old man played in (for a time anyway) the old style boots that came up over the ankle. I used to think it was a bit old fashioned even back then..

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 30 November 2017 at 12:27 PM, Demonised said:

Extra points if you pronounced it 'looxury' in your head.

Sheer looxury I say!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 8:35 AM, Ethan Tremblay said:

Back in my day I walked 50kms to get to a game, through the snow. A Four n Twenty was 2c and that included a squirt of Rosella sauce and a pint. 

In 1970 i was in the Bayview with a TWSNBN mate of mine and a bloke came up to us with a couple of tickets that he was giving away to some GF with Blues vrs Pies, for a donation to the army, and we grabbed some large cans in a box to stand on, and walked to the ground.

Not a bad game that.......

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/12/2017 at 1:08 AM, Old Bear said:

Grandfather a Bulldogs Premiership legend

GF participant? (1961?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gday guys, on one of the training thread there's been a few doubts on young Charlie about his size and whether he can translate his ability to AFL level. Thought I'd bring this thread up and have my 2 cents worth.

 

Just on Spargo, I had a bit to do with him when he was in the under 16s bushies . I didn't bother to write anything up on him when we drafted him (lack of interest in demonland at the time) but I thought I'd post my thought a on him now. 

Goody is going to fall in love coaching this young fella, he is 18 years old going onto 25 in terms of maturity and level headed. He was driven right from the very young age to succeed in footy and make AFL. He started playing senior footy for Albury in the strong Ovens and Murray league (step below VFL) at 16 and was still running rings around former AFL players with such ease. It was tipped right from then that this kid could potentially be the next big thing despite his size. He was quick, tough as F**k, and most importantly, driven and determined to make it.

Despite being a quiet and down to earth sort of fella, he just oozes leadership on field! We played a praccy match against Bendigo once and he was captain for the day. The whole day he was barking orders, setting up midfield stoppages, encouraging teammtes, and giving direct feedback to coaching and senior officials on what was going right and wrong. He'll be in the leadership group in a couple of years. Mark my words.

Obviously being in boarding school this year I barely got time to see any of his games (injured also). But we got word back from some recruiters that if it wasn't for injury he would be top 10 without a doubt. 3 clubs had even made mentioned that if he was just a smidge taller and injury free, they had penciled him for top 5. Every club rated him and the giants were absolutely filthy when they lost first rights to him. He is a genuine talent.

If I was to compare him to someone in terms of toughness, leadership and skill? it would be Joel Selwood. He has everything that you need in terms of the culture you're trying to build and set.

Yes I've pumped up his tyres, but the biggest test for him will be the transition to AFL level. The likes of Caleb Daniel and Eddie Betts have shown that it is possible if you've got the ticker and drive to succeed. I believe young Spargo has this.

The likes of Jones, Viney, Oliver and Lewis will crave having this kid in the side running full tilt into packs and come out ball in hand.

I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but in my honest opinion, he is an absolute beauty!

Hope that helps.

  • Like 38
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Gday guys, on one of the training thread there's been a few doubts on young Charlie about his size and whether he can translate his ability to AFL level. Thought I'd bring this thread up and have my 2 cents worth.

 

Just on Spargo, I had a bit to do with him when he was in the under 16s bushies . I didn't bother to write anything up on him when we drafted him (lack of interest in demonland at the time) but I thought I'd post my thought a on him now. 

Goody is going to fall in love coaching this young fella, he is 18 years old going onto 25 in terms of maturity and level headed. He was driven right from the very young age to succeed in footy and make AFL. He started playing senior footy for Albury in the strong Ovens and Murray league (step below VFL) at 16 and was still running rings around former AFL players with such ease. It was tipped right from then that this kid could potentially be the next big thing despite his size. He was quick, tough as F**k, and most importantly, driven and determined to make it.

Despite being a quiet and down to earth sort of fella, he just oozes leadership on field! We played a praccy match against Bendigo once and he was captain for the day. The whole day he was barking orders, setting up midfield stoppages, encouraging teammtes, and giving direct feedback to coaching and senior officials on what was going right and wrong. He'll be in the leadership group in a couple of years. Mark my words.

Obviously being in boarding school this year I barely got time to see any of his games (injured also). But we got word back from some recruiters that if it wasn't for injury he would be top 10 without a doubt. 3 clubs had even made mentioned that if he was just a smidge taller and injury free, they had penciled him for top 5. Every club rated him and the giants were absolutely filthy when they lost first rights to him. He is a genuine talent.

If I was to compare him to someone in terms of toughness, leadership and skill? it would be Joel Selwood. He has everything that you need in terms of the culture you're trying to build and set.

Yes I've pumped up his tyres, but the biggest test for him will be the transition to AFL level. The likes of Caleb Daniel and Eddie Betts have shown that it is possible if you've got the ticker and drive to succeed. I believe young Spargo has this.

The likes of Jones, Viney, Oliver and Lewis will crave having this kid in the side running full tilt into packs and come out ball in hand.

I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but in my honest opinion, he is an absolute beauty!

Hope that helps.

I started barracking for this post.......

 

  • Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone I know watched a lot of his school footy last year. I believe he was the Captain of Melbourne Grammar. Said 4 things :-

1. Hard as nails. Runs through brick walls. 

2. Highly skilled. Very good kick and exceptional goal sense. 

3. Very strong contested overhead mark with an unusually high vertical leap for his height. 

4. Great kid. 

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And having only turned18 late last year he may well grow that smidge taller in the next 12 months

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

And having only turned18 late last year he may well grow that smidge taller in the next 12 months

Here's hoping Mr. Shadow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post @dazzledavey36!

The thing that excites me the most about the club moving forward is the quality of people we are getting in.  Of course football talent and ability comes first, but we seem to have not only drafted players who have that in spades, but also guys who bring so much leadership and maturity to the table as well.  They are level headed blokes who will train professionally and uphold the high standards that we expect of our playing group.  It's exciting to see!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Old Bear said:

Get your money on early for the Rising Star

Old man a Super  Legend In Albury 

Grandfather a Bulldogs Premiership legend

Might just do that. Thrilled to have this kid. Cannot have enough players who hate losing. Confident he falls into that category.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that I was completely and utterly excited/shocked when he fell into our lap at our first pick. To have clubs rate him a top 10 and potential top 5 pick if it wasn't for injury is a HUGE bargain. 

Don't be put off by his size.. the kid has what it takes to make it at the top level. 

Go get em Spargs!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, It's Time said:

Someone I know watched a lot of his school footy last year. I believe he was the Captain of Melbourne Grammar. Said 4 things :-

1. Hard as nails. Runs through brick walls. 

2. Highly skilled. Very good kick and exceptional goal sense. 

3. Very strong contested overhead mark with an unusually high vertical leap for his height. 

4. Great kid. 

Sounds like a more talented Viney from that description.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Sounds like a more talented Viney from that description.

Yeah, that was my first thought also.

Big difference to the weedy pack skirters we loaded up on in years gone by.

That post from @dazzledavey36 is a cracker. Spargos family would be printing it on their Christmas cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 7

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...