Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Sign in to follow this  
DaveyDee

Ex-Demon Craig Cameron on the move again

Recommended Posts

Cameron loves swapping clubs. Melbourne, Richmond, GWS, Gold Coast, a stint in horse racing.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He stuffed our recruiting moved to Richmond and stuffed theirs, GWS should be celebrating that he has gone.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tony Tea said:

Cameron loves swapping clubs. Melbourne, Richmond, GWS, Gold Coast, a stint in horse racing.

CC Melbourne - did a brilliant job taking into account the situation

CC Richmond - passionate Tiger and got head-hunted by them, rebuilt the whole FD department to be a force in AFL football again.

CC BC3 - followed another passion and was lied too like 99% of the other investors in BC3

CC GWS - logical choice to go to GWS but they got him cheap due to BC3 debacle

CC GC - If I was Mark Evans he is exactly the type of person I would have gone after and hang the expense

Just my thoughts I always respected the positions inside a FD and its easy to criticise with no knowledge 

Edited by DaveyDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

CC Melbourne - did a brilliant job taking into account the situation

CC Richmond - passionate Tiger and got head-hunted by them, rebuilt the whole FD department to be a force in AFL football again.

CC BC3 - followed another passion and was lied too like 99% of the other investors in BC3

CC GWS - logical choice to go to GWS but they got him cheap due to BC3 debacle

CC GC - If I was Mark Evans he is exactly the type of person I would have gone after and hang the expense

Just my thoughts I always respected the positions inside a FD and its easy to criticise with no knowledge 

Sorry, how did he do a brilliant job at Melbourne, all I can recall is a large number of failed draft picks and recruiting errors, and continued this form over at Richmond

Edited by drdrake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Sorry, how did he do a brilliant job at Melbourne, all I can recall is a large number of failed draft picks and recruiting errors, and continued this form over at Richmond

Don't forget that we were twice penalised with loss of draft picks in his early days (salary cap and Jeff White). He wouldn't have had many top 10 picks during his time. Of the top of my head, he had his fair share of successes (Farmer, Woey, Scott Thompson, Davey, Leoncelli, J. McDonald), many of whom were rookie listed.

He was a genius compared to Prendergast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It goes to show how it is still more about who you know, rather than the quality of performance.

Our recruiting was appalling for most of the 2000s (Molan, Bell, Smith, McLean, Sylvia, Bate as failed first round draft picks, plus the likes of Heffernan and Pickett as failed high price recruits). And Richmond was similarly a basket case during his tenure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Sorry, how did he do a brilliant job at Melbourne, all I can recall is a large number of failed draft picks and recruiting errors, and continued this form over at Richmond

Only an opinion - I felt we where under resourced in the CC & BP recruiting eras due to a lack of finances compared to our opposition clubs.

Then to top that all off, again due to a lack of resources and finances we had a near non-existent players development programme.  

I'm not sure CC and BP ever got a fair chance at the MFC - so hence I thought he did a brilliant job with what he had to work with. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, poita said:

It goes to show how it is still more about who you know, rather than the quality of performance.

Our recruiting was appalling for most of the 2000s (Molan, Bell, Smith, McLean, Sylvia, Bate as failed first round draft picks, plus the likes of Heffernan and Pickett as failed high price recruits). And Richmond was similarly a basket case during his tenure. 

Interesting I always thought the Tigers where a "basketcase" before his tenure but after his tenure they were a powerhouse again. Interesting how others see things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

What’s BC3?

Black Caviar 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think BP was hard done by Cameron, he left him with nothing on the list

Edited by drdrake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mo64 said:

Don't forget that we were twice penalised with loss of draft picks in his early days (salary cap and Jeff White). He wouldn't have had many top 10 picks during his time. Of the top of my head, he had his fair share of successes (Farmer, Woey, Scott Thompson, Davey, Leoncelli, J. McDonald), many of whom were rookie listed.

He was a genius compared to Prendergast.

Craig Cameron definitely had nothing to do with Farmer and Leoncelli coming to the club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DaveyDee said:

CC Melbourne - did a brilliant job taking into account the situation

CC Richmond - passionate Tiger and got head-hunted by them, rebuilt the whole FD department to be a force in AFL football again.

CC BC3 - followed another passion and was lied too like 99% of the other investors in BC3

CC GWS - logical choice to go to GWS but they got him cheap due to BC3 debacle

CC GC - If I was Mark Evans he is exactly the type of person I would have gone after and hang the expense

Just my thoughts I always respected the positions inside a FD and its easy to criticise with no knowledge 

Cameron's tenure would be deemed very ordinary if it hadn't directly preceded Prendergast's car crash. The latter must have one of the worst records for a recruiter in the history of the game. It was his horrible record that made Cameron's recruiting appear serviceable. But when you fail to recruit an A grader in your 10+ years at the club, it's an indictment on you as a recruiter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

What’s BC3?

A horse racing syndicate, built on a ponzi scheme, where all the funds, ( millions ), disappeared. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Redleg said:

A horse racing syndicate, built on a ponzi scheme, where all the funds, ( millions ), disappeared. 

Oh that was Bill, gotcha....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A F said:

Cameron's tenure would be deemed very ordinary if it hadn't directly preceded Prendergast's car crash. The latter must have one of the worst records for a recruiter in the history of the game. It was his horrible record that made Cameron's recruiting appear serviceable. But when you fail to recruit an A grader in your 10+ years at the club, it's an indictment on you as a recruiter.

Barry's record improves over time with the impacts of Gawn, Jetta, T.Mac, Howe et cetera.  Scully became Hogan, Gysberts Pedersen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What were CC's recruiting years for MFC? I thought he was active in the latter part of Daniher's tenure and our poor overall recruiting from 2000 to 2006 is why we fell over a cliff in 2007. We got some first rounders right in Jones, Rivers and Chip but otherwise we had more misses than hits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not excusing anyone, but drafting has become a lot less hit and miss over the last 5 or so years for all clubs. More research, more resources, more professional overall. And all that coupled with an increased understanding of the crucial importance of development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, goodoil said:

Barry's record improves over time with the impacts of Gawn, Jetta, T.Mac, Howe et cetera.  Scully became Hogan, Gysberts Pedersen

Barry's record improves when we start investing money into development

9 hours ago, bing181 said:

Not excusing anyone, but drafting has become a lot less hit and miss over the last 5 or so years for all clubs. More research, more resources, more professional overall. And all that coupled with an increased understanding of the crucial importance of development.

Good to see some Demons supporters finally getting where our real problems are. However, research, resources and development costs big money. 

 

12 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

What were CC's recruiting years for MFC? I thought he was active in the latter part of Daniher's tenure and our poor overall recruiting from 2000 to 2006 is why we fell over a cliff in 2007. We got some first rounders right in Jones, Rivers and Chip but otherwise we had more misses than hits. 

We fell off the cliff - because while we were writing cheques to play games at the MCG and pay off debt, our opposition was writing cheques  to improve all facets of their football departments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bing181 said:

Not excusing anyone, but drafting has become a lot less hit and miss over the last 5 or so years for all clubs. More research, more resources, more professional overall. And all that coupled with an increased understanding of the crucial importance of development.

Drafting can still be hit and miss now.  Yes, there's more research, more resources, and more professionalism, but what money can't buy is a crystal ball, and this is what sorts out the great recruiters, the good recruiters, and the crap ones.

Regardless of how the club was in the 2000-2014 period, the recruiting efforts of CC and BP was a complete fail.  One thing that the club doesn't have to spend money on to compete with the "big boys" is the attitude of the player.  Mclean, Sylvia, Watts, Morton, Gysberts, et al, these blokes didn't have the desire to work their backsides off with what the club could offer them.  They could still become great if they put in effort.  They didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

Drafting can still be hit and miss now.  Yes, there's more research, more resources, and more professionalism, but what money can't buy is a crystal ball, and this is what sorts out the great recruiters, the good recruiters, and the crap ones.

Regardless of how the club was in the 2000-2014 period, the recruiting efforts of CC and BP was a complete fail.  One thing that the club doesn't have to spend money on to compete with the "big boys" is the attitude of the player.  Mclean, Sylvia, Watts, Morton, Gysberts, et al, these blokes didn't have the desire to work their backsides off with what the club could offer them.  They could still become great if they put in effort.  They didn't.

You dont need a "crystal ball" - you just have to understand the laws of probability.

Regardless of how the club was - ??? What???

More like regardless of what our armchair supporters think PJ and the AFL have dragged us out the pooh without the supporters/members ever having a vote ( say ) in the MFC's destiny. Long may it continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

You dont need a "crystal ball" - you just have to understand the laws of probability.

Regardless of how the club was - ??? What???

More like regardless of what our armchair supporters think PJ and the AFL have dragged us out the pooh without the supporters/members ever having a vote ( say ) in the MFC's destiny. Long may it continue.

You only need to look at Nathan Jones to see what the right attitude can do for you.  Even in our dark times, he was a shining light.  It's attitude, ethic and respect.  Some have it in spades, some have it but don't do anything about it, others have NFI what it is.

You clearly have an emotional attachment to CC and/or BP, I respect that.  I have an emotional attachment to the MFC.  But sane people would clearly be able to see our drafting was woeful during their tenure.  If the Head of Recruitment can't take a massive amount of blame for that, then our discussion/disagreement can't go any further.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

You only need to look at Nathan Jones to see what the right attitude can do for you.  Even in our dark times, he was a shining light.  It's attitude, ethic and respect.  Some have it in spades, some have it but don't do anything about it, others have NFI what it is.

Today its referred to as "coach-ability"  research & resources will find the right kids irrespective where you take them in the draft - but it all costs money. 

 

13 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

You only need to look at Nathan Jones to see what the right attitude can do for you.  Even in our dark times, he was a shining light.  It's attitude, ethic and respect.  Some have it in spades, some have it but don't do anything about it, others have NFI what it is.

You clearly have an emotional attachment to CC and/or BP, I respect that.  I have an emotional attachment to the MFC.  But sane people would clearly be able to see our drafting was woeful during their tenure.  If the Head of Recruitment can't take a massive amount of blame for that, then our discussion/disagreement can't go any further.

I have no emotional attachment to CC or BP - just dont accept the illogical argument they where to blame. Because if you where right they would never have got other jobs at AFL clubs - but they both did at numerous clubs and with more responsibility. 

I too have my attachment to the MFC. I just find it amusing some MFC supporters want to fix the symptoms and not the cause of the problems. Now dont get me wrong I fully understand - WHY - they only see the symptoms. Hence, our massive reliance of PJ and an AFL approved board for our future - long may it continue.  

Head of recruitment is only as good as the resources and people around him - then when the hand over of the kid is done to development staff again you need good people - sorry to say all costs money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...