Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

No basis for this stupid statement whatsoever.

Yes stupid comment,  Watts great ball user,finisher etc but needs others to get him the ball

This thread has me reminiscing about the Travis Johnstone thread all those years ago.

'He's our best kick, the most talented player on our list' they said.

'He's popular amongst our group, it'll destroy the fabric of the club' they said.

'He'll carve it up at his new club. We'll regret ever trading him' they said.

'This is a rookie coach looking to make a statement unaware he's making a huge mistake' they said.

Who knows I might even have been one of 'them'. We all think we know what's best for club and player but the ones closest to the decision having to be made are the ones we are forced to trust, they too are the ones that will live with the decision and its consequences. I support the direction the club is taking. We've been crying out for someone to take the club by the scruff of the neck and give it a shake. We've asked much of Watts since being drafted and he still falls short of what we know he is capable of. Does that remind you of any other former number one draft picks?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Give me a spell. What a load of tripe. You're basing his importance on our club promos?

How does losing a player, who has had 1 good year in 9, set the club back? 

You say that you are a 20 year member, but I'm curious to know how long you've been following the club? In the 45 years that I've been following the club, the only player that we let go that set back the club was James McDonald. But the club was tanking at the time, so you could understand the logic.

I don't really need to answer your dig at me but I will. I am 67 years old and have been following the Dees since I was 4 years old when my mother knitted me a red and blue jumper. I attended the 1958 grand final. the only one we lost in the late fifties and have not seen us win a flag since I was 14.  If you can remember 2000, we moved on shane wowodin (Bad spelling) and traded powell to Stkilda. I believe that was wrong. You are right getting rid of James Mac was stupid. Have a look at the vote at the top of this discussion  at least 75% of Melbourne supporters want Jack to stay at our club. That my friend will split the club mark my words

Edited by demonmerv

46 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Sadly, I have NO faith in those guys. You must have skill on your list. Trade Watts and we are downhill skiing big time. Watched Lever closely today. Is he as good as some are making out? 15 disposals is not sensational and there was plenty of opportunity to have more. The Tigers had the ball in their forward zone so often. Looked up Lever's average disposals for the season. 16.  The much maligned Watts had an average disposal rate of 15.9. not any real difference there and we do know his disposal is elite. Bad decision MFC.

Levers a defender and he's what, 22? Watts is a forward and he's 26. Take off your rose coloured glasses

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, the fork said:

This thread has me reminiscing about the Travis Johnstone thread all those years ago.

'He's our best kick, the most talented player on our list' they said.

'He's popular amongst our group, it'll destroy the fabric of the club' they said.

'He'll carve it up at his new club. We'll regret ever trading him' they said.

'This is a rookie coach looking to make a statement unaware he's making a huge mistake' they said.

Who knows I might even have been one of 'them'. We all think we know what's best for club and player but the ones closest to the decision having to be made are the ones we are forced to trust, they too are the ones that will live with the decision and its consequences. I support the direction the club is taking. We've been crying out for someone to take the club by the scruff of the neck and give it a shake. We've asked much of Watts since being drafted and he still falls short of what we know he is capable of. Does that remind you of any other former number one draft picks?

This was also a bad decision by our club. Did it improve our club , no it did not. Travis went on to play some good games at Brisbane. You are right in saying it did not split our club, but it is also true that Travis was not as popular as Jack Watts. I will also say that taking a good player out of our side at that time made little difference as we were not that good. At present we have the potential to go places and can ill afford to lose a tall player of Jacks quality.

Edited by demonmerv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

You've missed the gist here. Its kicking abilities. Watts has Tmac covered in spades.

I think you missed the jist old fella.... options are like assholes

I'm not bagging your opinion but life will go on with out JW and his accurate foot if he gets a kick

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, demonmerv said:

This was also a bad decision by our club. Did it improve our club , no it did not. Travis went on to play some good games at Brisbane. You are right in saying it did not split our club, but it is also true that Travis was not as popular as Jack Watts. I will also say that taking a good player out of our side at that time made little difference as we were not that good. At present we have the potential to go places and can ill afford to lose a tall player of jack quality.

If Watts was seen as such an integral part of our next flag tilt don't you think the coaches and FD would be doing everything in their power to reassure him of that? Supporters are to emotionally attached to some players, even those who are perennial underperformers. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, demonmerv said:

I don't really need to answer your dig at me but I will. I am 67 years old and have been following the Dees since I was 4 years old when my mother knitted me a red and blue jumper. If you can remember 2000, we moved on shane wowodin (Bad spelling) and traded powell to Stkilda. I believe that was wrong. You are right getting rid of James Mac was stupid. Have a look at the vote at the top of this discussion  at least 75% of Melbourne supporters want Jack to stay at our club. That my friend will split the club mark my words

Trading Woey and Powell may or may not have been the right decision, but in 2002 we were stiff not to beat Adelaide, and make the Pelim. So the decision hardly set back the club.

The Fork's analogy with Travis Johnstone is spot on. 

Thankfully clubs don't make football decisions based on fan polls.

And while we're on irrational fan behaviour. Remember the "Focus On Footy" group. They're the group of Richmond people who wanted to overthrow the Richmond board, primarily so that they could sack Hardwick. I wonder if we'll see their faces at the celebrations.

• Like 3

seems that many think Watts should go because he is not a chaser or a tackler hard at the football. Then how do you reconcile this with the way Hogan plays. his approach to football seems to centre solely on the marking contest. If he marks up the ground his always very slow to move the ball on and once oppositions spoil his mark he tends to sit back and watch more so than seriously chase and tackle.  Today was a hectic pace game lots of tackling etc.  one of the things that stood out to me was the marking inside richmonds forward line and their goal kicking both of these jack does.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

seems that many think Watts should go because he is not a chaser or a tackler hard at the football. Then how do you reconcile this with the way Hogan plays. his approach to football seems to centre solely on the marking contest. If he marks up the ground his always very slow to move the ball on and once oppositions spoil his mark he tends to sit back and watch more so than seriously chase and tackle.  Today was a hectic pace game lots of tackling etc.  one of the things that stood out to me was the marking inside richmonds forward line and their goal kicking both of these jack does.

Watts was dropped because of his lack of intensity when flying for contested marks. He'd do everything to avoid contact. Weid was brought in, and even though he did sweet FA, Goodwin applauded his attack on the ball when in the air. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Trading Woey and Powell may or may not have been the right decision, but in 2002 we were stiff not to beat Adelaide, and make the Pelim. So the decision hardly set back the club.

The Fork's analogy with Travis Johnstone is spot on. 

Thankfully clubs don't make football decisions based on fan polls.

And while we're on irrational fan behaviour. Remember the "Focus On Footy" group. They're the group of Richmond people who wanted to overthrow the Richmond board, primarily so that they could sack Hardwick. I wonder if we'll see their faces at the celebrations.

We will never know but with Woey and Powell in the team we might have got to the GF. Travis was 27 when we traded him and got pick 14. was that Grimes. Travis played three years at Brisbane and averaged 20 touches a game.

37 minutes ago, demonmerv said:

absoulute rubbish. Watts is not an in and under player. he is a finisher, If the ball is delivered correctly and he is used he will provide the finish. he has been used all over the ground to cover our deficiencies and has done it well.how many times did we see him kick a goal and then pop up soon after in the back line stopping a forward thrust by the opposition. Some of you people don't seem to understand footy at all. He had a good year but like other players came back from injury underdone. was that his fault or was he brought back too soon, we will never know. I am so annoyed at all the Watts bashers. Goodwin hung him out to dry pre season, when he could have easily said we are trying others on the list and dealt with Jack in private. I don't think Jack has ever got the support of the club during his career. This club will regret it if Jack departs.

Overreact all you like I won't lose any sleep over a player that has 1 good year out of 9. I trust Goodwin more than I'll ever trust Watts.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

Tim smith

Pedo

T Macdonald 

Just to name a few

In other words: I really have no idea what Watts brings to this team.

Doesn't matter anyway; he's gone.

If, as Goody said, they'd given him "honest" feedback & left it up to him whether he stays or not, then he'd stay.

The only reason he'd be talking to other clubs is if the coaches don't want him. And if the coaches want him, it means they don't think he brings anything to the team either. So they're not going to ask much for him and the other clubs know Jack's situation over the years well enough that they're fully aware of that.

It could be as low as late second or early third. So brace yourselves for it.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2017 at 5:53 PM, Demons11 said:

F..k our supporters have no idea. 

If you think Jack Watts is going to be the reason we climb further up the ladder than you are kidding yourself. 

The only reason we make the finals and go beyond that is because of Oliver, Hunt, Trac, Brayshaw, Viney, Hogan. Nothing to do with Watts you bunch of peanuts 

I need to listen to you more. There is clearly so much learning to be unlocked here.

Let me know when you finish high school so I can really loop into your wisdom.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

1 hour ago, demonmerv said:

I am a twenty year member of the Melbourne Football club and have been as passionate and patient as anybody. However I am absoulutely disgusted with Goodwin and the Club for telling Jack to explore his options. Jack Watts is an integral part of this club. We are horribly short of 195cm plus skillfull players. I believe jack to be very important to our future. Just take a look at the club promotions on the website and elsewhere. Jack is upfront in everything. If he goes then we stand to lose membership, sponsorship and supporters. This will split the club mark my words. In fact I will be reassessing my involvement. I have always believed Jack Watts was a very important part of our next premiership, which I am starting to think is now a very long way away. Goodwin has concerned me as the season has gone on and he is close to losing me totally. If Watts goes then Goodwin will struggle to see his contract out. This is going to set the Melbourne Football club back a long way. It saddens me to say this but that's the situation we face now. I was very down today watching the grand final knowing that when we start to get to a position of possibly challenging for the flag , we start to trade the players most likely to get us there.

Watts will never get us to a flag, he showed up last year not in the right shape after 9 years of being in the system, what does that tell you? Personally I have had a gut full of us showing up when we feel like it, if the club are making a statement then so be it finals next year are non negotiable if the tigers can win a flag no reason we can’t as soon as next year with the right attitude, if watts ends up staying at least he has got the rocket he needed 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, demonmerv said:

I am a twenty year member of the Melbourne Football club and have been as passionate and patient as anybody. However I am absoulutely disgusted with Goodwin and the Club for telling Jack to explore his options. Jack Watts is an integral part of this club. We are horribly short of 195cm plus skillfull players. I believe jack to be very important to our future. Just take a look at the club promotions on the website and elsewhere. Jack is upfront in everything. If he goes then we stand to lose membership, sponsorship and supporters. This will split the club mark my words. In fact I will be reassessing my involvement. I have always believed Jack Watts was a very important part of our next premiership, which I am starting to think is now a very long way away. Goodwin has concerned me as the season has gone on and he is close to losing me totally. If Watts goes then Goodwin will struggle to see his contract out. This is going to set the Melbourne Football club back a long way. It saddens me to say this but that's the situation we face now. I was very down today watching the grand final knowing that when we start to get to a position of possibly challenging for the flag , we start to trade the players most likely to get us there.

He is not gone yet - its only 90% at this stage, no reasonable trade has been put forward. Its wait and watch this space. 

On 28 September 2017 at 7:15 PM, At the break of Gawn said:

I'm also hearing rumors that it's Nathan Jones who wants Watts out. I wonder how crazy this can get?

On 28 September 2017 at 7:21 PM, Mickey said:

Do you think that's based on the whack he gave in the media, or something more substantial?

On 28 September 2017 at 7:26 PM, Travis16 said:

Several players ?  Who ?

Nathan Jones' comments were along those lines, what other player/s ???

His alleged pre-season antics and inability to end the season on a strong note also, may have sealed his fate here.  Just speculation though

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

But none of them have been left out of the side for poor preparation, and I can't recall them being dropped for poor form lately.

Keep up with your "Keep Jack Watts" campaign, but it's falling on deaf ears.

Watts is gone. Get over it, to me there's no point arguing about a former player.

I'm more concerned that we replace the attributes he brings, because they're really important. If our coaches really do agree with the posters that he brings absolutely nothing (or less - he's negative value) to the team's collective effort, then in my view we've got big problems.

And next year is going to be very frustrating as we fight harder than anyone to win possession, our contested ball numbers are best in the comp, but we just keep turning it over again and again. 

Does that fall on deaf ears? Do you seriously think we'll be better without what Watts brings?

23 hours ago, Older demon said:

McCartney was at a footy lunch today talking to a Demon tragic, Jack gone.

An independent source tells me that the Coach (Goodwin) wants Jack out.

Jacks manager thinks Jack would be better off elsewhere if 2 coaches no longer have a place for him.

Unless something dramati changes Jack will seek greener pastures, not sure why McCartney and Goodwin are so adamant after renewing hsi contract last year.

McCartney was also the same coach who last year said Weids would be a super star given enough meat & time.  I know who I would rather have on the park shooting for goal to win a big final or a premiership in the next 3 years.  Worrying times at the MFC ....again!!!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Richmond really missed Brett Deledio, and the Bulldogs really missed Ryan Griffen.  Not.

Both were captains. Both teams won the flag immediately after they left.

We will not miss Watts.

Would that mean we will miss Jones if he left?

I couldn't imagine getting a decent deal for him.

Goodwin might have to knock back a shot or two for the presser straight after; he is going to have to be passionate, conciliatory, thankful for Jacks time at the club, and give a clear picture for his vision for 2018 and beyond without leaving Watts as the scapegoat for all the ills of the club. Good luck to him, lol.

And, to satiate Demons like me, he is going to have to find me a skilful outside player next week.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Richmond really missed Brett Deledio, and the Bulldogs really missed Ryan Griffen.  Not.

Both were captains. Both teams won the flag immediately after they left.

We will not miss Watts.

Deledio was a captain? I don’t remember that

Based on today you need 22 who will fight and fight; I don’t think Watts does and I agree that if he’s going to go, go now whilst a) we can get something for him b) he can probably get a three year deal and a fresh start

• Like 3