Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

under bailey - dropped to the vfl
under neeld - dropped to the vfl
under roos - dropped to the vfl
under goodwin - dropped to the vfl

you watch - if he goes to port there'll be a puff piece by capel or rucci in december / january in the advertiser about how it's the hardest preseason he's ever had, blah blah blah, and by round 7 he'll be dropped to the sanfl

But he's the best kick on our list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Haha cmon mate. You're the one who brought up the.comparison 

Id take Jones over Watts evey day of the week, if that's your next comparison 

Haha yeah true. Was just pointing out that he's not the only one without a perfect tenure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clark's kick said:

If trading a player like watts damages the heart and soul of our club or erodes our culture, then we are already done.

Worried about 'brand damage'? What about missing out on finals after a decade in the wilderness because of 5 shocking losses when we were red hot favourites?

How could trading a player who has delivered little in 9 years damage the heart and soul of a club or erode it's culture? That would be an indictment on the club if true. Watts is no James McDonald

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the fork said:

Oh. My. God.

So much hysteria over one of the most inconsistent, frustrating bruise free players on our list.

Way too much emotion, not enough clear headed, long term, big picture thinking. It's a cliche but I honestly think this trade, should it eventuate, will benefit both player and club. Jack will be a better player at another club, free from the cloud that has hung over him since day one. Go forth my boy and be a free man.

For the club, this will be a statement of intent and help shape a new dynamic amongst the players we want to give it their all.

For me Watts often sets the tone of the group. He swans into preseason out of shape, he steps onto the ground half cocked and will consciously choose not to put his head over the ball. This attitude, and we've all seen it affects the group. If our co-captain ain't happy then neither am I. Those who want to clasp to the same hope that we've had for this bloke to finally show us some ticker for another year beyond the nine his already had, good luck to you. But for me it's time to show some mongrel.

Nield made several statements of intent too.

Simiarly, he only wanted blokes who'd willingly eat road kill and run head first through brick walls (Brent Moloney aside).

Whilst this had immediate and superficial appeal to success-starved fans, history shows that it was absolutely the wrong approach. Fortunately Paul Roos took the conch and fixed most of these mistakes. Relevantly, he created a decent club culture.

Right now, I don't expect Roos would be seeking to trade Watts, and that concerns me. Not in an emotional sense, but in a clinically rational sense. It could do a lot of damage to the culture of the club and create negativity within the player group.

Many Richmond supporters who now think of Dustin Martin as a favourite son wanted him out the door for a first rounder a few years ago. But it's hard to replace talent like that. In this regard, I expect there are far fewer talented players like Jack Watts out there than there are James Magner's and Tom Couch's.

And this is why some people here are emotional about this. Watts is our Tom Lynch - he's a gun deliverer of the football, he has great vision and skills, and the club is potentially about to trade him for a pack of cheezels. If this is the case, it does not appear entirely sensible in the medium to long term either, in a rational sense.

This is actually big picture thinking IMO. Perhaps it's just a different picture to the one you're looking at.

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Neeld made several statements of intent too.

Simiarly, he only wanted blokes who'd willingly eat road kill and run head first through brick walls (Brent Moloney aside).

Whilst this had immediate and superficial appeal to success-starved fans, history shows that it was absolutely the wrong approach. Fortunately Paul Roos took the conch and fixed most of these mistakes. Relevantly, he created a decent club culture.

Right now, I don't expect Roos would be seeking to trade Watts, and that concerns me. Not in an emotional sense, but in a clinically rational sense. It could do a lot of damage to the culture of the club and create negativity within the player group.

Many Richmond supporters who now think of Dustin Martin as a favourite son wanted him out the door for a first rounder a few years ago. But it's hard to replace talent like that. In this regard, I expect there are far fewer talented players like Jack Watts out there than there are James Magner's and Tom Couch's.

And this is why some people here are emotional about this. Watts is our Tom Lynch - he's a gun deliverer of the football, he has great vision and skills, and the club is potentially about to trade him for a pack of cheezels. If this is the case, it does not appear entirely sensible in the medium to long term either, in a rational sense.

This is actually big picture thinking IMO. Perhaps it's just a different picture to the one you're looking at.

Excet Dusty came good 4 years ago. And now he's playing the best footbal of his career. How long will Watts take to play consistent football and, you know, tackle? He's coming up to his 10th season

10th!

• Like 1

I wish they would just trade him tonight and end this crap. 

The " what's he delivered in the last 9 years?" line is getting old. 

Seriously, what has this club delivered the last decade? Diarrhoea, that's it!

He wasn't drafted to take contested marks even though he took the 6th most this season for us.

Was he drafted because he's a tackling machine? Me thinks not, even though he averaged more or the same amount of tackles as Buddy, Reiwoldt(Jack), Tex and Lever this season.

Is he the only player that's come back pre-season with my shite doesn't stink attitude? Well documented and responded well I thought.

Without any knowledge of the inner sanctum I go by what I see and some agree and some don't. 

He's very smart around goals and his work rate is almost second to none to create space in attack for our bigger forwards.

He was very consistent game to game prior to the hamstring injury.

Personally I believe he can offer plenty for us in the next few years if we continue the upwards trend.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, praha said:

Excet Dusty came good 4 years ago. And now he's playing the best footbal of his career. How long will Watts take to play consistent football and, you know, tackle? He's coming up to his 10th season

10th!

To be honest, I differ on this one to many here. I'm just concerned about his recent and current form and, relevantly, his value going forward. What he was like 5, 6, 7 years ago is irrelevant to me.

He was in AA form last season and again this season up until he did his hamstring mid-year. After that, he was indifferent, albeit punctuated by a few really good moments.

Unless we can get something really good for him, I reckon we'd have rocks in our heads to trade him for not that much in return.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dee tention said:

I will speculate;

It sounds like Jack is a distraction and bad influence on the rest of the team or players through lack of commitment, preperation, buy in etc etc.

Maybe the leadership group has had enough along with the coach(s). Its obvious there is frustration there.

If this is the case, I can concur. The MFC is serious about contending for a premiership and this behaviour wont be tolerated.

If Jack is traded. It raises the bar of what is expected by the MFC and I am sure those who are distracted will refocus.

Max next?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, clark's kick said:

On its own, it will not magically solve our consistency issues. And i cant see too many people suggesting that it will.

But trading a highly inconsistent player who still has some trade value seems like a logical attempt to move in the right direction.

Fine if you disagree. Its a tight call. But i'm rapt we're trying something.

I dont get why people are losing their minds over this, as if we're trading a viney or dare i say it, a woewodin.

'Losing their minds' is a subjective analysis and I don't care about the nonsense that it 'is showing the club is divided' - I don't buy into that and equating those that question this move with those harbingers of drama and doom is effing frustrating. 

My points are that we are not going to get value for what he could bring to the club and that he is unfairly singled out as the root cause of all our troubles, and they won't disappear when he does.

• Like 2

I"m concerned we still have a problem coach.

This may sound like a knock on Goody,and it is to a degree.But it is not unsalvageable .

We tend to go from overly compassionate (Bailey/Roos) to emotionless/overly authoritarian (Goody/Neeld)

Flicking from one of these important traits to the other-Lurching as we are in rough waters.

It's a symptom of where we are at that only Roos(the most well balanced of the last few) has gotten the most out of Watts.

Still think it will be such a shame if he goes and I think it will be a mistake.

What I cannot see for Watts is that he will survive in a club like Port Adelaide.

Watts will despise being in a place like Port Adelaide.

There is no way he will end up there with their bogan fans and moron President.

Goodwin must take the blame for the dropping of Watts in the second last game-ruining confidence against a team that Watts knew he had destroyed with his own individual brilliance the last time they played.Buckley would have been relieved.It was a gross error by Goodwin and one he will compound if he Trades the enigmatic Watts.

As our leader, it is ABSOLUTELY a failure that Goodwin has done this and is now trying to literally make his problem disappear.

The best result would be if we cannot get a deal done and these two come to an understanding of each other-even though their personalities are very different.

Edited by Biffen
Factual error.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Biffen said:

I"m concerned we still have a problem coach.

This may sound like a knock on Goody,and it is to a degree.But it is not unsalvageable .

We tend to go from overly compassionate (Bailey/Roos) to emotionless/overly authoritarian (Goody/Neeld)

Flicking from one of these important traits to the other-Lurching as we are in rough waters.

It's a symptom of where we are at that only Roos(the most well balanced of the last few) has gotten the most out of Watts.

Still think it will be such a shame if he goes and I think it will be a mistake.

What I cannot see for Watts is that he will survive in a club like Port Adelaide.

Watts will despise being in a place like Port Adelaide.

There is no way he will end up there with their bogan fans and moron President.

Goodwin must take the blame for the dropping of Watts in the last game-against a team that Watts knew he had destroyed with his own individual brilliance the last time they played.Buckley would have been relieved.It was a gross error by Goodwin and one he will compound if he Trades the enigmatic Watts.

As our leader, it is ABSOLUTELY a failure that Goodwin has done this and is now trying to literally make his problem disappear.

The best result would be if we cannot get a deal done and these two come to an understanding of each other-even though their personalities are very different.

Watts played in the last game against Collingwood

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

To be honest, I differ on this one to many here. I'm just concerned about his recent and current form and, relevantly, his value going forward. What he was like 5, 6, 7 years ago is irrelevant to me.

He was in AA form last season and again this season up until he did his hamstring mid-year. After that, he was indifferent, albeit punctuated by a few really good moments.

Unless we can get something really good for him, I reckon we'd have rocks in our heads to trade him for not that much in return.

He was nowhere near All Australian form in 2016 and the first half of 2017

He played about what should be expectation for a push up half forward who can relieve ruck as required

His second half of each year was okay in 16 and awful in 2017

Personally I’m more interested in how we structure up - with T Mac and Hogan as main forwards and then an opportunity for another mid-size player to apply the defensive pressure, plus Pedo coming in and fingers crossed Weed developing as he adds strength and aerobic fitness to his frame

Perhaps that’s what we’re looking at for in exchange with Port - I actually don’t mind Impey, and I’d take Sam Gray for Watts pretty quick smart - he has great speed and tackles with intent, can find the ball pushing up thru midfield

I would guess that the football dept. have decided we can’t go in with a combo of T Mac, Hogan, Pedo / Weed, and Watts, and only Melksham and Garlett applying true defensive pressure - Pedo or Weed is probably the best of those four with being ‘bigs’ who will pay with the defensive pressure expected these days

Edited by DemonAndrew
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, praha said:

It seems like a locker room thing. Watts has probably be at the club for too long and has found a comfort zone. His performance against North was imo the nail in the coffin. I don't think I've ever been so angry after a Melbourne match and his effort was so obviously lacking that it's difficult to defend him. Kicking winning goals on QB means jack if you can't even chase in the business end of the season with finals on the line.

Let's get rid of these perennial losers, get what we can from them, and build a club filled with blokes that don't just hate to lose, but use that as drive and application to perform. I'm sure Watts hates losing but I've lost patience now. We were shown up in the last month of football and in this case I feel he can be considered part of the problem .

He's a 9 year veteran of the club who is stil getting dropped. I'm so sick of this [censored]. 

His performance against North? If that's your criteria, then 90% of the team should be traded.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

Watts played in the last game against Collingwood

Ok-Then my entire post is irrelevant.

If it was the game prior then they sent him in with low confidence.

Amended.

Edited by Biffen

3 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

He was nowhere near All Australian form in 2016 and the first half of 2017

He played about what should be expectation for a push up half forward who can relieve ruck as required

His second half of each year was okay in 16 and awful in 2017

Personally I’m more interested in how we structure up - with T Mac and Hogan as main forwards and then an opportunity for another mid-size player to apply the defensive pressure, plus Pedo coming in and fingers crossed Weed developing as he adds strength and aerobic fitness to his frame

Perhaps that’s what we’re looking at for in exchange with Port - I actually don’t mind Impey, and I’d take Sam Gray for Watts pretty quick smart

I would guess that the football dept. have decided we can’t go in with a combo of T Mac, Hogan, Pedo / Weed, and Watts, and only Melksham and Garlett applying true defensive pressure - Pedo or Weed is probably the best of those four with being ‘bigs’ who will pay with the defensive pressure expected these days

He absolutely was in 2016. He won a few games for us single handedly.

Watch, for instance, the Geelong game earlier this season again. Watts was unbelievable.