Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

2017 Post Mortem


dieter
 Share


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, P-man said:

I hope they feel foolish. They blew it. Completely blew it.

There is no excusing that first quarter effort yesterday.

That probably sums it up as to the position we were in.

Granted we had a difficult year with a fairly tough fixture, 4 games in 18 days with interstate trips a prime example, a poor injury run, the worst suspension games loss in the AFL, an unbelievably shocking personal year for our ff and some narrow defeats and yet it came down to our last game. Let's examine that.

Aside from our co-captain, we had our strongest side in for the year, against a side missing 8 of their best players and playing for nothing but pride.

Playing on the G on a nice day, we needed to come with the strongest intensity we could muster, to show the Pies this game was ours.

We all know we are not a highly skilled side, actually ranked 16th for disposal efficiency in the AFL.

Our big weapon has been our desire and effort as we don't have the skill to dominate sides generally.

So what happens, in the first quarter we don't turn up. No tackles for 11 minutes and only 2 in the first 20. A lack of run to create space. One armed, half hearted attempts to tackle. A complete absence of pressure on the opposition. Then combine that with wilting disposal under pressure, which will always happen to a side that is poor in disposal in the first place and you have a flying start to the opposition, a 5 goal deficit and a real belief in the opposition that they have us. We did the same in the Hawthorn game. What did we learn, absolutely nothing. I don't want to hear that is a learning experience, as only idiots make the same mistakes more than once. To hear a player say we didn't apply pressure, in a do or die game, is just mind boggling. They are meant to be professional sportsmen, what is professional about that?

As P-Man said above, there is absolutely no excuse for that lack of effort in the first quarter. Forget the year, our finals were there for the taking against an undermanned, no incentive, youthful and inexperienced Pies side. I repeat there was no excuse for that, it just shouldn't have happened.

The players and to a lesser extent Coaches must share blame for allowing this to happen. NO EXCUSES. we were playing for our first finals in 11 years.

It tells me one thing for certain, some of the personnel must go.

Train harder, learn to tackle, get fitter, change the game plan, stop the handball at all costs game, whatever, but accept that some of those involved should not have another chance, they have lost the right. 

We need to accept that we aren't good enough and the list must be changed to improve. We have turnover experts who get possessions but kill us every week. The hard decisions must be made, these guys won't change. We have non tacklers and guys who refuse to apply pressure. This can't be tolerated if we expect to improve.

I hope missing the finals burns in the players guts, like it burns in ours.

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, the rolling fog said:

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

Im pretty sure it was the pies fans. I would be disappointed if it was melbourne fans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

What we needed in 2017 was for it to be 2018. And people have been saying it all year. The kids are just kids. Nothing to worry about. We'd still be the envy of most lists.

I see our list development being behind the Bulldogs by about 12-18 months.  They went backwards this year, but maybe being the hunted rather than the hunter had something to do with that.  I was hoping we'd make eighth and try to replicate what they did last year starting with Port, but to be honest it would have been difficult given how poorly we were playing.

I can't remember who it was, but there was a theory that we'd hit the wall at the back end of the season the way we did last year due to the fatigue of our list and that's clearly the way its looked.  There's also no doubt that we are still mentally not consistent enough, but I actually think that's been the product of the season as well.  Certainly I think for the first half of the year we improved massively on previous years, in terms of intensity and pressure. The second half of the year was far more patchy and similar to the past couple of seasons.  Injuries also helped rob us of a lot of momentum as well.

 I think Goodwin was certainly treating the year as a development year and clearly players like Weideman and O Mac have been gifted games to get senior experience into them. Unlike others I think both are tracking relatively well considering their age and positions. I see Petracca, Hogan and Oliver and I see elite talent.  We also have a core of younger players to support them.  

It would have been nice for Jones to have another shot at finals this year, but overall in terms of the ultimate prize it doesn't hurt to reinforce the playing group the consequence for not being 'switched on' in those crucial matches.

I think with a better run of injuries to our better players and a more favourable draw that if we continue the same rate of improvements that we have been, then next year will see a much more consistent year.

That doesn't mean that we don't have deficiencies to address.  Firstly in terms of outside run and secondly in defence.  Hopefully DE% will improve with further experience and practice with the game plan.  

Goodwin is all about competitiveness so I would expect some trades for those that don't measure up. 

In terms of the fixture for next year I hope we get North and Hawthorn in the first couple of rounds. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, the rolling fog said:

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

WTF? It was the Pies fans booing I thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This from the AFL website:

'How can the team that goes on the road and flogs Adelaide and beat West Coast turn up its toes twice against North Melbourne and then barely lay a tackle in the opening quarter against Collingwood on Saturday with it all to play for? That's the first question Simon Goodwin will address this off-season and there would seem to be no obvious answer.'

Exactly my thoughts.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, the rolling fog said:

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

It was Collingwood supporters. The booing was coming from around their cheer squad area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, the rolling fog said:

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

I thought it was all Collingwood fans, but the volume of it made me believe there was some incident in-game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About a third in, we were looking pretty irresistible with clearances and handballing forward.  Then we choked as expected.

The first part is the easy part.

Trade Watts - he consumes too much of the club's attention and is difficult to keep out as a number 1 pick.  Kennedy, old man Trengrove, KH all perform better at VFL.  If contractually (or otherwise) entitled to be picked, he should tried at CHB where we could drool at kicks I50.

Trade Bugg.  Troublesome and still has currency.

Offer and then delist if required Vince, King, Spencer, Lewis, Kent, Hulett, Garland, Trengrove

Rookie a ruckman from Box Hill.  That is where we got our good ones from.

Only recruit KPP's over 195 cm.  Hullett, Smith, Smith, Kielty are unlikely.

The second part is harder being an apology from the Board that we did not reach our full potential.  An acknowledgement from the football department that they were gooses in picking players which they could not trust.  The players don't gate-crash. They are picked without immaculate disposal in the VFL and reasonable in the AFL.  They are picked while not running to contests in either.

Revelations --

Hannan - looked good when filling in in the midfield

TMac up forward

Hunt

Rubbed our noses in it - 

Kent

Don't give up yet - OMac, Frost, Wagner

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ding said:

Goodwin will probably not win a premiership with MFC, He has no idea how to motivate a team to perform against opposition it SHOULD put to the sword. So far he has been a huge mistake.

Give me Northey or Danners any day of the week.

 

 

Why do these players need motivation? It is obvious isn't it? But they do they need direction. That should be Goodwins only job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, grazman said:

I see our list development being behind the Bulldogs by about 12-18 months.  

Good post.

While I agree with that, that sort of is a given. They won a flag last year and their mature players are the core... It's not like they were the Saints... bottomed out at the same time as us and climbed quickly. They've got some list structure questions to sort out, but will be better in 3 years than they are now or were last year. Them leapfrogging us next year wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

But yes to everything else. The important bits and pieces are all there. And many more besides. Would you call Hibberd, Hunt, Lewis, Melksham, Frost, Jetta, Garlett, Harmes core? Possibly not. But all have done good things. Most would be walk up starts at all the other clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our list is nowhere near good enough to be a true contender.  I'm not sure that we're much better or worse than about 10 clubs who occupy the guts of the ladder.  We could regress unless we greatly improve the list.

So, improve the list and we'll win more games.

You can't turn the proverbial into strawberry jam and we've got too many players on our list who are simply not good enough.  We lack height down back and in the forward line - it is a glaring weakness and it needs to be addressed pronto.  We also need another a decent back-up ruckman and players who possess real pace. 

We are too slow and we've been found out too many times when we're not on our game.  On top of that we had about 8 players who had average (or worse) season's.  Tyson,  Gawn,  Viney,  Watts,  Garlett,  Hogan,  Vince & Salem. In terms of consistent good performances,  not one of those 8 players did enough (in terms of expectations)  Injuries played a part of course but I'm more talking about actual outcomes.

The club needs to get to work on the list.  I'd be astonished if Goodwin & co didn't see things the same way. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can only imagine what the like of David Schwarz and Garry Lyon will say on there show tomorrow.

I think tomorrow will be all about Melbourne. 

The thing is I look at the top 8 and think who would I want to see win it. There is really no one. 

May as well give the brownlow to Dusty now and cancel brownlow night to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike said:

This from the AFL website:

'How can the team that goes on the road and flogs Adelaide and beat West Coast turn up its toes twice against North Melbourne and then barely lay a tackle in the opening quarter against Collingwood on Saturday with it all to play for? That's the first question Simon Goodwin will address this off-season and there would seem to be no obvious answer.'

Exactly my thoughts.

 

Ill tell u where I'm at, at the risk of saying I have an ex association with the club!

We need to trade aggressively and get blokes that bleed MFC BLOOD!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Good post.

While I agree with that, that sort of is a given. They won a flag last year and their mature players are the core... It's not like they were the Saints... bottomed out at the same time as us and climbed quickly. They've got some list structure questions to sort out, but will be better in 3 years than they are now or were last year. Them leapfrogging us next year wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

But yes to everything else. The important bits and pieces are all there. And many more besides. Would you call Hibberd, Hunt, Lewis, Melksham, Frost, Jetta, Garlett, Harmes core? Possibly not. But all have done good things. Most would be walk up starts at all the other clubs.

The unpredictability and pace of Frost was badly missed yesterday. He would have run off some of the slower big men of Collingwood and sent us forward instead of the panicked handballs or dinky kicks, that ended up as turnovers, close to their goal.

I think it was a mistake not playing him in the last two games.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, steve_f said:

Offer and then delist if required Vince, King, Spencer, Lewis,

I stopped reading right there.

Stupidest post I've read on here in a while.

Fair dinkum. I know everyone is upset. But you don't go blind when you're upset.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Macca said:

Our list is nowhere near good enough to be a true contender.  I'm not sure that we're much better or worse than about 10 clubs who occupy the guts of the ladder.  We could regress unless we greatly improve the list.

So, improve the list and we'll win more games.

You can't turn the proverbial into strawberry jam and we've got too many players on our list who are simply not good enough.  We lack height down back and in the forward line - it is a glaring weakness and it needs to be addressed pronto.  We also need another a decent back-up ruckman and players who possess real pace. 

We are too slow and we've been found out too many times when we're not on our game.  On top of that we had about 8 players who had average (or worse) season's.  Tyson,  Gawn,  Viney,  Watts,  Garlett,  Hogan,  Vince & Salem. In terms of consistent good performances,  not one of those 8 players did enough (in terms of expectations)  Injuries played a part of course but I'm more talking about actual outcomes.

The club needs to get to work on the list.  I'd be astonished if Goodwin & co didn't see things the same way. 

Improve the list, but far from an overhaul please. The players need to know each other and care, we can't just keep replacing them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, steve_f said:

About a third in, we were looking pretty irresistible with clearances and handballing forward.  Then we choked as expected.

The first part is the easy part.

Trade Watts - he consumes too much of the club's attention and is difficult to keep out as a number 1 pick.  Kennedy, old man Trengrove, KH all perform better at VFL.  If contractually (or otherwise) entitled to be picked, he should tried at CHB where we could drool at kicks I50.

Trade Bugg.  Troublesome and still has currency.

Offer and then delist if required Vince, King, Spencer, Lewis, Kent, Hulett, Garland, Trengrove

Rookie a ruckman from Box Hill.  That is where we got our good ones from.

Only recruit KPP's over 195 cm.  Hullett, Smith, Smith, Kielty are unlikely.

The second part is harder being an apology from the Board that we did not reach our full potential.  An acknowledgement from the football department that they were gooses in picking players which they could not trust.  The players don't gate-crash. They are picked without immaculate disposal in the VFL and reasonable in the AFL.  They are picked while not running to contests in either.

Revelations --

Hannan - looked good when filling in in the midfield

TMac up forward

Hunt

Rubbed our noses in it - 

Kent

Don't give up yet - OMac, Frost, Wagner

Nar package Both Mc Donalds they are no good!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...