Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

2017 Post Mortem


dieter
 Share


Recommended Posts

I am devastated. After living through the Neeld era and daring to think we were out the other end and making our first finals in 10 years, to only have it ripped away by a) an insipid performance against Collingwood and then b) waiting until the last 3 minutes of the H&A season to know that the last 23 rounds were pointless really hurts. 

Here's the thing - can someone explain leaving out Frost, playing TMac back (when he had been really solid forward) and going with OMac over Frost yesterday? I understand that Pedo was in, I understand Watts was in, so the forward line would have been too top heavy, but I don't get the love for OMac over Frost. Am I missing something - (besides the Frost wants to leave rumours?). 

I am devastated about what could have been. About the fact that the team coped so well with all the bloody injuries - for nothing. I mean for FFS - Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Watts all out for extended periods of time throughout the year. 

Yes, there was improvement. But I am tired of waiting and people taking the [censored] out the team who still can't beat North. Who are mentally fragile and lose the games the outside football world expect us to win, but all us supporters expect to lose - you know the ones? Like Hawthorn, Freo, North etc etc. 

I am tired of it. And I await the abuse from those of you who think we should support through thick and thin. Of course, I will be back next year like the sucker I am. This team is like a hardcore drug addiction that you know is killing you but you can't quit it. Bloody hurts.

And on another level - we are kidding ourselves if we think this club and this team is an attractive option for out of contract, high profile players from other teams. I will be staggered if Lever or any of the other players we are apparently "into" come to us in the trade period. We are a joke. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Already talked about the disappointment yesterday but did actually watch the replay so now have a perspective both live and from Foxtel and have to say it looked almost identical.

Leadership has been an issue and there was a point in the match where Maynard and a group of magpies went after Oliver over the boundary line, our leadership group all stood around all within 20 metres of it and hardly any of them moved except for Gawn. Yes to Viney as sole captain and surround him with a couple of vice captains who believe in the club, I would go with Gawn and Petracca.

In terms of bad disposal yes we have a lot of ball butchers running around the paddock, the biggest of all on the weekend though hasn't even been mentioned. At one stage he took a free kick and managed to miss Lewis by a good 10 metres and other times he bombed in straight to the opposition, he couldn't hit the side of a barn and that was Gus. 

Others are playing in patches which is impossible to understand but needs closer inspection, take Hannon, clutch goals V St Kilda that turned the game and unbelievable at times in the last quarter yesterday but this is a four quarter game, it is inexcusable that a guy of his talent is going missing for so long in matches, he is a keeper but needs a kick up the arse.

Tmac had a shocker but let's not disregard all of his good matches this year, he has been generally good.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I really wish the club didn't send out that email mid week.

So embarrassing!

September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

- Co-captains, Nathan Jones & Jack Viney
bab2bfb4-44e1-44f3-9364-e2f1d54c8c80.png
7ea1385c-6433-4afe-b941-faa5c5bd6dac.png
eac8f1bb-17a5-48b2-984f-41288c0b344d.png
8fbb8eab-adfc-4009-8264-b8d17517c764.png
f027bfc6-11d3-4454-b647-ada1d5007192.png
As a Melbourne member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Melbourne match.
 
Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.
 
Tickets from $35*
*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Earl Hood said:

Can we at least keep Watts who is about the only bloke I trust with ball in hand. I know he has other issues but yesterday he showed up in the first quarter, while  a dozen others didn't. O Mac is getting better, TMac needs to play forward from now on so we need a key back replacement. Yes we need to trade and draft players who can kick and make decisions, our skill errors yesterday just killed us and me for that matter. 

Is Omac really getting better? Well 'better' at a rate that is acceptable. That dinky kick from him in the 3rd directly to the opposition was the exact moment my wife and I left yesterday. It was inexcusable. I dont want to single out individual players, but he exemplifies the standard we set. Its not good enough.

Hibbo had a shocker yesterday, but he should be the bech mark for our defense. Him and Jetta are really the only ones that can say they had a consistent year.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lucifer said:

I am devastated. After living through the Neeld era and daring to think we were out the other end and making our first finals in 10 years, to only have it ripped away by a) an insipid performance against Collingwood and then b) waiting until the last 3 minutes of the H&A season to know that the last 23 rounds were pointless really hurts. 

Here's the thing - can someone explain leaving out Frost, playing TMac back (when he had been really solid forward) and going with OMac over Frost yesterday? I understand that Pedo was in, I understand Watts was in, so the forward line would have been too top heavy, but I don't get the love for OMac over Frost. Am I missing something - (besides the Frost wants to leave rumours?). 

I am devastated about what could have been. About the fact that the team coped so well with all the bloody injuries - for nothing. I mean for FFS - Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Watts all out for extended periods of time throughout the year. 

Yes, there was improvement. But I am tired of waiting and people taking the [censored] out the team who still can't beat North. Who are mentally fragile and lose the games the outside football world expect us to win, but all us supporters expect to lose - you know the ones? Like Hawthorn, Freo, North etc etc. 

I am tired of it. And I await the abuse from those of you who think we should support through thick and thin. Of course, I will be back next year like the sucker I am. This team is like a hardcore drug addiction that you know is killing you but you can't quit it. Bloody hurts.

And on another level - we are kidding ourselves if we think this club and this team is an attractive option for out of contract, high profile players from other teams. I will be staggered if Lever or any of the other players we are apparently "into" come to us in the trade period. We are a joke. 

I can't understand the toying with selection.  If Watts isn't a good fit, keep him out. It made as much sense to drop him as to bring him back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

the issue isnt the list. Its the mental application that is hot some weeks and cold the next. Spend the off season understanding why and then fix it.

All clubs have a list issue. The mental side is part of it.

We have a list issue and the mental side to go with it...more on this if/when I can be bothered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, america de cali said:
September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

- Co-captains, Nathan Jones & Jack Viney
bab2bfb4-44e1-44f3-9364-e2f1d54c8c80.png
7ea1385c-6433-4afe-b941-faa5c5bd6dac.png
eac8f1bb-17a5-48b2-984f-41288c0b344d.png
8fbb8eab-adfc-4009-8264-b8d17517c764.png
f027bfc6-11d3-4454-b647-ada1d5007192.png
As a Melbourne member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Melbourne match.
 
Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.
 
Tickets from $35*
*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.

Yep, no Melbourne logo when you click the play button.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I left this bit out. Absolutely sick.

THE FINALS
September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.
Edited by america de cali
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Positives to be taken out of this.

  1. I'll be removing the sports package on Foxtel tomorrow so that'll save me some money.
  2. We just moved two places up the draft order
  3. I truely believe that the faster a team moves up the ladder (Port 2013/14, Bulldogs last year) the quicker they drop back down. Am happy to steadily improve as we seem to be. 

Sorry, that's all I got.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Earl Hood said:

Can we at least keep Watts who is about the only bloke I trust with ball in hand. I know he has other issues but yesterday he showed up in the first quarter, while  a dozen others didn't. O Mac is getting better, TMac needs to play forward from now on so we need a key back replacement. Yes we need to trade and draft players who can kick and make decisions, our skill errors yesterday just killed us and me for that matter. 

I see where you're coming from Earl, but Watts has been a three or four million dollar investment with a 300K return. I'd cut our losses now while he has some currency. He stood up in the first quarter but in the next two did nothing. A well skilled but not an instinctive footballer.

OMac has definitely improved but is far too laconic/slow for my liking. Would like him to have a nasty streak too. Has currency.

TMac I would use as part of Lever trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The completion will only be even more even next year, we cannot simply assume we will improve.

It's really important to remember this. We are not on an Island as an improving football team. I saw a lot of sides look better this year, to assume the clubs under us on the ladder will be down there again is just foolish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mrtwister said:

Positives to be taken out of this.

  1. I'll be removing the sports package on Foxtel tomorrow so that'll save me some money.
  2. We just moved two places up the draft order
  3. I truely believe that the faster a team moves up the ladder (Port 2013/14, Bulldogs last year) the quicker they drop back down. Am happy to steadily improve as we seem to be. 

Sorry, that's all I got.

For what it's worth, no.3 is a pretty good point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Can we at least keep Watts who is about the only bloke I trust with ball in hand. I know he has other issues but yesterday he showed up in the first quarter, while  a dozen others didn't. O Mac is getting better, TMac needs to play forward from now on so we need a key back replacement. Yes we need to trade and draft players who can kick and make decisions, our skill errors yesterday just killed us and me for that matter. 

Why is Watts crucified for poor games when Vince sits back in defence each week doing [censored] all and doesn't have to be rejuvenated at Casey

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Post Mortem:

How about we do a bit a 'compliment sandwich'...

Amazing wins against Crows, Bombers, WBs, and WCE all away from home.

Unforgivable losses against Freo, Haw, and NM (x2)

Goodwins exciting gameplan

Goodwins baffling blunders in windy conditions (NM and GWS)

Aggression all year at the ball and man

Suspensions to key players that cost us wins (and percentage? Ooooh, too soon?)

 

The greatness of Oliver, Jetta, and Hibberd

The development of ANB and Oscar McD 

The patchiness of Tyson, Harmes, Pedersen, Hannan, Petracca, Melksham, Lewis, Bugg, Garlett, Tom McD, and Hunt

The stalling of Salem, Watts, Gawn, Brayshaw, Stretch, Kent, Frost, Weideman and JKH

The decline of Vince

The injuries to Garland, VDB, Jones, Hogan, Viney

The existence on the list of Wagner, White, Kennedy, Spencer, King, Hulett

 

These are the things that come to mind to explain why we have failed once again; failed when we shouldn't have.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

Jack Watts can shoulder the blame for all of it.

WHY ?????

Yesterday he was one of our few good playersa in the 1st Q

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I left this bit out. Absolutely sick.

THE FINALS
September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

Insane.

The club is still run by morons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rpfc said:

Post Mortem:

How about we do a bit a 'compliment sandwich'...

Amazing wins against Crows, Bombers, WBs, and WCE all away from home.

Unforgivable losses against Freo, Haw, and NM (x2)

Goodwins exciting gameplan

Goodwins baffling blunders in windy conditions (NM and GWS)

Aggression all year at the ball and man

Suspensions to key players that cost us wins (and percentage? Ooooh, too soon?)

 

The greatness of Oliver, Jetta, and Hibberd

The development of ANB and Oscar McD 

The patchiness of Tyson, Harmes, Pedersen, Hannan, Petracca, Melksham, Lewis, Bugg, Garlett, Tom McD, and Hunt

The stalling of Salem, Watts, Gawn, Brayshaw, Stretch, Kent, Frost, Weideman and JKH

The decline of Vince

The injuries to Garland, VDB, Jones, Hogan, Viney

The existence on the list of Wagner, White, Kennedy, Spencer, King, Hulett

 

These are the things that come to mind to explain why we have failed once again; failed when we shouldn't have.

 

Fair summary.

I would just add the overall complacency of our players.

  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, lucifer said:

 

Here's the thing - can someone explain leaving out Frost, playing TMac back (when he had been really solid forward) and going with OMac over Frost yesterday? I understand that Pedo was in, I understand Watts was in, so the forward line would have been too top heavy, but I don't get the love for OMac over Frost. Am I missing something - (besides the Frost wants to leave rumours?). 

 

I am with you on OMac, there is no way anyone can convince me he is any good.  If we do get Lever next year, he should be at Casey for the majority of the season and only come in as depth player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

    “Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MUCH ADO ABOUT EVERYTHING by Whispering Jack

    Let's face it. We Melbourne supporters are a demanding lot. Here we are with our team on top of the ladder with a record of 12 wins and 2 losses, a decent percentage and a fair run home for a team with finals credentials. We have a fit list with lots of in form players, many of who are in contention for All Australian and other high honours, the team’s playing with purpose and cohesion and its VFL affiliate is undefeated and going gangbusters.  Still, we're all walking around with conc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...