Jump to content

dieter

2017 Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

Its officially been 48 hours since that 1st quarter noose hanging. In some ways it is still fresh, in some ways it feels like an eternity since then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

The words will have no meaning whatever is said. Only our ladder position after rnd 23 next year will matter

Exactly. He must be stepping back from the captaincy.  I don't want to hear anything resembling that the players are hurting or that a line in the sand has been drawn, I've heard it all before. Just 100% effort each and every game next year.  If we win...great, if not then it wasn't for want of trying.  Just shutup and show us on the field how you intend to go about it....words are cheap .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't make a decision like stepping down from the captaincy role a day after missing out on the finals. Just a half baked apology before mad Monday. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones was just on SEN talking about how disappointed everyone at the club was with the finish to the year. Good on him for fronting up, but there was no news.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to hear from the players and coaches specifically why they think we always lose the "easy" ones, and what's going to be done to address this next year. Won't happen though, all you get is the PC garbage it's a tough competition, anyone can win if we don't bring it, we are preparing for their best etc etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Soft cheese only no doubt. Nothing hard. Like us

The Cheese platters idea  is pretty funny I reckon. I'm kinda hoping there is some out there...possibly with a carafe of Red to wash it down...might go for a walk down the shops in a minute ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I have got through a days work & been for a long run (I suggest those who are capable do the same, it helps). 

Now, on my run I cleared my mind & put everything into perspective and thought of the year as a whole. We obviously made some improvements & adopted a more attacking, hard edge, contested game style which when applied for long periods of time & on the rare occasion this year for 4 quarters, we looked like a real contender. The problem is like I suggested in a post following the GWS game we are still such a young side, and I think we forget that & yes some will say "so were the dogs last year" but history suggests that you need to get to that 70-80 game mark before you really stamp yourself on the competition. We also have a coach who was in his first year with full reins, Goodwin will take a lot out of this year and will only be better for the experience. Add into this the fact we lost for the a lot of the season our:

All Australian ruckmen (3rd B&F)

Full forward (2016 leading goal kicker),

Both co-captains (1st & 2nd B&F)

3rd tall forward (2016 2nd leading goal kicker)

You take that out of any side & they will struggle, let alone be in the race for a finals spot with 3 minutes left in the season & miss out by the smallest margin in AFL history.... Yes, I know all these things happen and we were still in a position to make the 8 & shot ourselves in the foot on Saturday but I believe considering the age of the list, experience of the coach, injuries to key players we did a great job in actually being in that position in the first place. You look at the sides around us who didn't make it such as St. Kilda, they had their best side for majority of the year and with a coach whos in his 4th year and still couldn't get the job done. We are in such a better position than our rivals around us. I take solace from the Giants of 2015, where they were 7-3 at round 10 before injuries took ahold and a young side tired... They missed the 8 and finished 11th and then rocketed to the prelim last year. The key to this will be that the pain & disappointment of this is used in the right way, the coaching staff, players & leadership group need to make sure this is the end of all this S#it, that this is the turning point of this club & group and that this will burn away at them all preseason and redemption wont be had until we are there at the pointy end next September. 

"You will never ever be successful until you turn your pain into greatness, until you allow your pain to push you from where you are to where you want to be. Stop running from your pain and embrace your pain. Your pain is going to be apart of your prize, apart of your product. I challenge you to push yourself." 

 

 

Edited by JV7
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Post Mortem revolves around the Assistant Coaches.

Jade the Blade has been coaching our backline since Adam was a pup. What have they learned in 6 years????

I think he is now qualified as a grade 4 coach. Time he went somewhere else and stuffed their backline up.

Ben Mathews coaching Mid Field and Stoppages our biggest failing against good sides ( and also bad sides)

Our side is only as good as they are coached.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JV7 said:

Alright, I have got through a days work & been for a long run (I suggest those who are capable do the same, it helps). 

Now, on my run I cleared my mind & put everything into perspective and thought of the year as a whole. We obviously made some improvements & adopted a more attacking, hard edge, contested game style which when applied for long periods of time & on the rare occasion this year for 4 quarters, we looked like a real contender. The problem is like I suggested in a post following the GWS game we are still such a young side, and I think we forget that & yes some will say "so were the dogs last year" but history suggests that you need to get to that 70-80 game mark before you really stamp yourself on the competition. We also have a coach who was in his first year with full reins, Goodwin will take a lot out of this year and will only be better for the experience. Add into this the fact we lost for the a lot of the season our:

All Australian ruckmen (3rd B&F)

Full forward (2016 leading goal kicker),

Both co-captains (1st & 2nd B&F)

3rd tall forward (2016 2nd leading goal kicker)

You take that out of any side & they will struggle, let alone be in the race for a finals spot with 3 minutes left in the season & miss out by the smallest margin in AFL history.... Yes, I know all these things happen and we were still in a position to make the 8 & shot ourselves in the foot on Saturday but I believe considering the age of the list, experience of the coach, injuries to key players we did a great job in actually being in that position in the first place. You look at the sides around us who didn't make it such as St. Kilda, they had their best side for majority of the year and with a coach whos in his 4th year and still couldn't get the job done. We are in such a better position than our rivals around us. I take solace from the Giants of 2015, where they were 7-3 at round 10 before injuries took ahold and a young side tired... They missed the 8 and finished 11th and then rocketed to the prelim last year. The key to this will be that the pain & disappointment of this is used in the right way, the coaching staff, players & leadership group need to make sure this is the end of all this S#it, that this is the turning point of this club & group and that this will burn away at them all preseason and redemption wont be had until we are there at the pointy end next September. 

"You will never ever be successful until you turn your pain into greatness, until you allow your pain to push you from where you are to where you want to be. Stop running from your pain and embrace your pain. Your pain is going to be apart of your prize, apart of your product. I challenge you to push yourself." 

 

 

Well said. Might still be hard for some to read it but there is plenty of truth to it

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

My Post Mortem revolves around the Assistant Coaches.

Jade the Blade has been coaching our backline since Adam was a pup. What have they learned in 6 years????

I think he is now qualified as a grade 4 coach. Time he went somewhere else and stuffed their backline up.

Ben Mathews coaching Mid Field and Stoppages our biggest failing against good sides ( and also bad sides)

Our side is only as good as they are coached.

Troy Chaplin should be in the firing line as well , not sure if our inability to convert inside 50's down to coaching , strategy/positioning , horrible skills probably a combination of all but  I would rather a experienced forward line coach teaching our young forwards (hogan and Weids in particular) than a guy who spent his career as a backman

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

My Post Mortem revolves around the Assistant Coaches.

Jade the Blade has been coaching our backline since Adam was a pup. What have they learned in 6 years????

I think he is now qualified as a grade 4 coach. Time he went somewhere else and stuffed their backline up.

Ben Mathews coaching Mid Field and Stoppages our biggest failing against good sides ( and also bad sides)

Our side is only as good as they are coached.

Id agree with this.  Also think Goody has some way to go ..but hes a noob ( sorta )  Still it was HIS job to have a team fit to play  ( mentally ) Sat....anyone see one turn up ?.  He's the boy in charge and there seems quite a few occasions when lessons were NOT learnt and the same idiocy repeated.

I think we need some new blood in here for sure Barney !!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Troy Chaplin should be in the firing line as well , not sure if our inability to convert inside 50's down to coaching , strategy/positioning , horrible skills probably a combination of all but  I would rather a experienced forward line coach teaching our young forwards (hogan and Weids in particular) than a guy who spent his career as a backman

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Redleg said:

It's not rubbish at all. The only run we had out of the backline was Hunt who did in fact turn it over mostly.

Hunt had 1 possession in the first quarter, It wasn't him turning it over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FAARK I am still so gutted!! the season is just done. finished.

 

maybe I need a new hobby or a girlfriend

not sure the wife would agree though!

ah-thank-you

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Hunt had 1 possession in the first quarter, It wasn't him turning it over.

I meant the whole game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

My Post Mortem revolves around the Assistant Coaches.

Jade the Blade has been coaching our backline since Adam was a pup. What have they learned in 6 years????

I think he is now qualified as a grade 4 coach. Time he went somewhere else and stuffed their backline up.

Ben Mathews coaching Mid Field and Stoppages our biggest failing against good sides ( and also bad sides)

Our side is only as good as they are coached.

I would go after Hodge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to the Ox on SEN talk about our lack of a hard edge against Collingwood. In particular he talked about Bugg as a player who would have added some intensity to the Collingwood clash. It led me to a theory on our psyche over the season.

I feel like we started the year with a fairly hard edge. Things weren't always going perfectly but we were winning contested ball and were hammering the opposition when we got the opportunity. Impressively this hard edge continued throughout the mid point of the season despite a difficult fixture and injuries to key players. Skills weren't always perfect but we were defined by our work at the contest. We were a tough team to play against.

I feel like the Sydney game saw a significant shift in our psyche which in the short term adversely affected our attack on the footy and the man and in the long term meant we lost our way. Now I don't blame Bugg. I've been around footy long enough to know that several of those look away punches are thrown every week and the fact his landed square on the jaw with devastating impact was pretty unlucky. But I think that brutal strike, the resulting six week suspension combined with earlier suspensions to Hogan, Lewis and Vince meant everyone at the Club including Goodwin felt suddenly compelled to defend the team as fair sports. I think in turn players felt subconsciously obliged to show that they were decent people on the field. All of a sudden they lost what had defined and galvanised them as a team. The hard edge, the mongrel, the intensity. I don't imagine this doubt lased more than a couple of weeks, but it seemed to lead to a mental shift from which the group couldn't recover.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of my theory. Obviously it could be a load of cheap pop psychology but having a way of explaining what I saw over the last 3rd of the season has helped me pick myself up this arvo.

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The club is very wise to not say anything, the players will be even wiser if they do the same for the next month.

So right Clint

Supporters, even those able to acknowledge our progress, would be hurting.

Our expectations were lifted from the results against better sides (Adelaide etc). To play so poorly against North Brisbane and Pies when so much was on the line was beyond disappointing.

I still think that we should use the squad more fully and be more professional in our match ups.

To soon for nything other than consider finals with Esondon and James Hird and how that will work out. Maybe better to go skiing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Probably going to announce that he's put a bounty on Tex Walkers head. That's my guess. 

No 'Likes' for this Ethan...

...it seems Demonlanders have lost their sense of humour today.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

FAARK I am still so gutted!! the season is just done. finished.

 

maybe I need a new hobby or a girlfriend

not sure the wife would agree though!

ah-thank-you

Well don't tell her Dub!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

No 'Likes' for this Ethan...

...it seems Demonlanders have lost their sense of humour today.

I think humour is the best way to deal with this situation. I'd break things otherwise. 

I planned on bidding on his creepy ear and wearing it as a necklace. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redleg said:

I would go after Hodge.

Jordan should go have a beer with him ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll keep this short. The Melbourne Football Club need to learn how to become RUTHLESS!!

They had numerous chances to run up big scoring margins but decided to ease up.

This really cost us.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coach and the match committee must take some responsibility....should have had players returning from injury etc come through Casey.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THAT’S FOOTBALL by Whispering Jack

    As the season rolls on towards the finals and the football world witnesses the aftermath of the sacking of the league’s unsuccessful coaches, it’s almost  inevitable that the spotlight will turn firmly upon the complete and utter failure of season 2019 - the Melbourne Football Club.  For a team that finished in fourth place last year and was heavily touted as a premiership contender, the fall from grace has been dramatic. As things stand, the Demons look certain to finish 13 places down on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS COMING by KC from Casey

    At half time in Sunday’s game at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, things weren’t looking too flash for the flailing finals prospects of the Casey Demons. Key forward Sam Weideman had suffered a concussion in his first contest and, with a few exceptions, the team was playing like a rabble rather than a finals contender. The Demons were 23 points in arrears to the Zebras and their season was headed towards oblivion. It was the skipper Mitch White who spurred his team on by word and by deed - he fini

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...