Jump to content

juzzk1d

Changes versus Collingwood

Recommended Posts

Don't think Watts will be back, if you listened to the press conference after the game when Goodwin was asked about Jack Watts performance in the VFL he got very defensive, also don't see them risking Viney.

For mine the changes will be Salem for Wagner, JKH for Stretch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grand New Flag said:

Out:

Wagner:  

Stretch:

Both unlucky but best 22 must play.
 

Wagner isn't unlucky. He's not up to it at this point.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Has strolled into AAMI park with crutches but not even using them

That's the best news, so maybe he might play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Don't think Watts will be back, if you listened to the press conference after the game when Goodwin was asked about Jack Watts performance in the VFL he got very defensive, also don't see them risking Viney.

For mine the changes will be Salem for Wagner, JKH for Stretch

I saw the Goodwin interview. My read o it was different.

Goodwin knows he must play Watts but is carefully managing Watts to get the best return. Simply Goodwin us trying to put a firecracker up Watts.

Worked a treat preseason. 

Goodwin wants that return again. its a clear play. Watts is clearly best 22 and this is the pointy end of the season. We all know we can't go far without Watts at full steam in the finals.  Goodwin is doing his thing. 

Watts to play a blinder this weekend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

I saw the Goodwin interview. My read o it was different.

Goodwin knows he must play Watts but is carefully managing Watts to get the best return. Simply Goodwin us trying to put a firecracker up Watts.

Worked a treat preseason. 

Goodwin wants that return again. its a clear play. Watts is clearly best 22 and this is the pointy end of the season. We all know we can't go far without Watts at full steam in the finals.  Goodwin is doing his thing. 

Watts to play a blinder this weekend.

Yep, agree. I'd add that if he doesn't play with the required intensity goody will drop him and he won't play finals. I doubt that will need to be made clear to Watts but i also have no doubt it will be.

And Watts will be in doubt that goody is deadly serious. 

Watts will be selected. And it will be his own personal elimination final. 

Salem might well be in the same boat.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

I saw the Goodwin interview. My read o it was different.

Goodwin knows he must play Watts but is carefully managing Watts to get the best return. Simply Goodwin us trying to put a firecracker up Watts.

Worked a treat preseason. 

Goodwin wants that return again. its a clear play. Watts is clearly best 22 and this is the pointy end of the season. We all know we can't go far without Watts at full steam in the finals.  Goodwin is doing his thing. 

Watts to play a blinder this weekend.

If Watts needs the coach to play mind games and drop him to the reserves weeks out from finals in order to get motivated, he should give the game away. 

I reckon he needs to show something special at Casey this week, cause he didn't vs Williamstown, though his intensity was good. It's just not coming together for him at the moment. 

And with Brownlow coming good and Hogan hitting form, amiungst others, we may actually do ok without Jack Watts this September...

Edited by PaulRB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack Watts: Jack had 20 possessions, including nine contested possessions, 11 marks, three clearances and kicked one goal. I thought he played a significant role on the weekend, particularly in the middle part of the game, where we needed to change some things up in the middle of the ground. He was able to play as a midfielder and give us some composure, plus some fierce ball movement, which opened up and gave us some scoring opportunities. That was a significant move in the day, which added real value in that part of the game. I was happy with his team-first attitude and engagement of VFL footy. He had a big influence on the game for us.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

If Watts needs the coach to play mind games and drop him to the reserves weeks out from finals in order to get motivated, he should give the game away. 

I reckon he needs to show something special at Casey this week, cause he didn't vs Williamstown, though his intensity was good. It's just not coming together for him at the moment. 

And with Brownlow coming good and Hogan hitting form, amiungst others, we may actually do ok without Jack Watts this September...

Rubbish, we pay coaches the big bucks to get the most out of their players. That's their job.

The biggest superstars have only become such as a result of their coaches keeping them in check when required, motivating when required. Every player needs something different to get them motivated. To get the extra 10%.  Some need Confidence, others need a rocket, some need to be left alone. Just depends on the personality.  

I think Goodwin has worked out what Watts needs to get his best.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grand New Flag said:

Rubbish, we pay coaches the big bucks to get the most out of their players. That's their job.

The biggest superstars have only become such as a result of their coaches keeping them in check when required, motivating when required. Every player needs something different to get them motivated. To get the extra 10%.  Some need Confidence, others need a rocket, some need to be left alone. Just depends on the personality.  

I think Goodwin has worked out what Watts needs to get his best.

I guess we'll see.

Big month for Mr Watts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Can't see Bugg being back in the side after 1 VFL performance. Will need more credits in the bank. 

Out: Wagner, Stretch

In: Watts, Salem

Harmes or Watts to play wing.

If he's best 22 he plays. Offers speed, aggression, pressures the opposition and creates scoring opportunities. I'd play him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MC has made multiple changes previously but has usually done so after a loss or a bad loss. 

So, I can see 2 or possibly 3 changes.  The MC may make a couple more changes the week after (if we progress)

Salem,  Watts,  Frost,  Viney & Bugg are in the mix so it may be a case of bringing 2 or 3 of that 5 in for the Pies clash with the others in the mix for the following match (if augurs well)

Viney possibly needs more time off but we may need Frost in for one of the Pie talls. Bugg may have to bide his time as well (for now)

In: Watts,  Salem,  Frost

Out: Hannan,  Stretch,  Wagner

Regardless, we'll be picking a strong team  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wagner omg,

I think Salem has learnt his lesson

id almost drop vince for frost, he's not offering much, goes for the man too much, his clangers are killing us

watts and Hannah not so sure, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grand New Flag said:

Rubbish, we pay coaches the big bucks to get the most out of their players. That's their job.

The biggest superstars have only become such as a result of their coaches keeping them in check when required, motivating when required. Every player needs something different to get them motivated. To get the extra 10%.  Some need Confidence, others need a rocket, some need to be left alone. Just depends on the personality.  

I think Goodwin has worked out what Watts needs to get his best.

Really?? So no player has ever had enough talent and self motivation to achieve top level status without a great coach??? Nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

Jack Watts: Jack had 20 possessions, including nine contested possessions, 11 marks, three clearances and kicked one goal. I thought he played a significant role on the weekend, particularly in the middle part of the game, where we needed to change some things up in the middle of the ground. He was able to play as a midfielder and give us some composure, plus some fierce ball movement, which opened up and gave us some scoring opportunities. That was a significant move in the day, which added real value in that part of the game. I was happy with his team-first attitude and engagement of VFL footy. He had a big influence on the game for us.

Can't get much more of a glowing review than that. Only real omission is the mention of getting back to AFL level.

From Plapp's review of Bugg I'd say he'll be in the VFL for a few more weeks.

Watts has probably done enough to earn a recall but he might just be unlucky due to team balance. I think the move into the midfield really showcased his ability to play a variety of roles, but if he's been pigeon holed as a tall marking forward in Goody's structure, and he only wants 2 tall forwards, then there's no way he'll be picked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Skin D said:

Really?? So no player has ever had enough talent and self motivation to achieve top level status without a great coach??? Nonsense.

Of course there are plenty of players out there like that, but for every one of them is a Watts who does need a good coach to be able to get the best out of them. Jones is one that's self driven, Watts occasionally needs a firecracker rammed up him to remind him he's not a monty to be picked every week.

I think he'll be picked this week and be given very specific KPI's he has to hit in order to maintain his spot. 

Bugg surely will have another week in the VFL, didn't set the world on fire at the VFL and should we make the finals he will have another VFL week to try to push someone out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Can't get much more of a glowing review than that. Only real omission is the mention of getting back to AFL level.

From Plapp's review of Bugg I'd say he'll be in the VFL for a few more weeks.

Watts has probably done enough to earn a recall but he might just be unlucky due to team balance. I think the move into the midfield really showcased his ability to play a variety of roles, but if he's been pigeon holed as a tall marking forward in Goody's structure, and he only wants 2 tall forwards, then there's no way he'll be picked. 

Yes he will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watts - a specialist against the Pies!  Remember the goal, but also remember the mark that saved a goal!  He is so versatile, forward, back, ruck...  He plays, he stars, we win and go storming into the finals.  (at least I wish...)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will this be the game of the year? YAAAAAAAAA, now tell me why Media Parasites?. Contrived result 50 frees to pies none to MFc?

When will you ever learn? Why is Demonland more intellectually superior than all the the Media Umpire Idolizers put together.

Wish list of possible Umps 1, 15,22 Bingo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, willmoy said:

Will this be the game of the year? YAAAAAAAAA, now tell me why Media Parasites?. Contrived result 50 frees to pies none to MFc?

When will you ever learn? Why is Demonland more intellectually superior than all the the Media Umpire Idolizers put together.

Wish list of possible Umps 1, 15,22 Bingo 

You've clearly missed a few threads over the journey 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Gipsy Danger said:

You've clearly missed a few threads over the journey 

I think he's missed his AA meeting .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, McQueen said:

If Watts comes back and turns in another insipid performance, it would be enough for me to close the door on his career at the club. This, of all games, is where Watts needs to be hungrier than ever

Lucky you have nothing to do with the club... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time Wagner played a worst on ground pie like last week he followed it up with being one of the best. He might need to go for Salem. But I'd keep him.

Watts is Collingwoods nemesis. He has to play a week out from the final

i would drop Strech and let Watts play that role.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Demons11 said:

????  Maybe go back and watch the last qtr vs the Saints 

He didn't say he doesn't kick any, he said he misses too many. Which is correct. 

Apart from the 2 against the Saints, Hannan has missed all his set shots that weren't 20 metre out gimmes. 

I'm a big fan but he needs to work on this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...