Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes versus Collingwood

juzzk1d

Don't think Watts will be back, if you listened to the press conference after the game when Goodwin was asked about Jack Watts performance in the VFL he got very defensive, also don't see them risking Viney.

For mine the changes will be Salem for Wagner, JKH for Stretch

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Don't think Watts will be back, if you listened to the press conference after the game when Goodwin was asked about Jack Watts performance in the VFL he got very defensive, also don't see them risking Viney.

For mine the changes will be Salem for Wagner, JKH for Stretch

I saw the Goodwin interview. My read o it was different.

Goodwin knows he must play Watts but is carefully managing Watts to get the best return. Simply Goodwin us trying to put a firecracker up Watts.

Worked a treat preseason. 

Goodwin wants that return again. its a clear play. Watts is clearly best 22 and this is the pointy end of the season. We all know we can't go far without Watts at full steam in the finals.  Goodwin is doing his thing. 

Watts to play a blinder this weekend.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

Goodwin knows he must play Watts but is carefully managing Watts to get the best return. Simply Goodwin us trying to put a firecracker up Watts.

Goodwin wants that return again. its a clear play. Watts is clearly best 22 and this is the pointy end of the season. We all know we can't go far without Watts at full steam in the finals.  Goodwin is doing his thing. 

Yep, agree. I'd add that if he doesn't play with the required intensity goody will drop him and he won't play finals. I doubt that will need to be made clear to Watts but i also have no doubt it will be.

And Watts will be in doubt that goody is deadly serious. 

Watts will be selected. And it will be his own personal elimination final. 

Salem might well be in the same boat.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

If Watts needs the coach to play mind games and drop him to the reserves weeks out from finals in order to get motivated, he should give the game away. 

I reckon he needs to show something special at Casey this week, cause he didn't vs Williamstown, though his intensity was good. It's just not coming together for him at the moment. 

And with Brownlow coming good and Hogan hitting form, amiungst others, we may actually do ok without Jack Watts this September...

Edited by PaulRB

Jack Watts: Jack had 20 possessions, including nine contested possessions, 11 marks, three clearances and kicked one goal. I thought he played a significant role on the weekend, particularly in the middle part of the game, where we needed to change some things up in the middle of the ground. He was able to play as a midfielder and give us some composure, plus some fierce ball movement, which opened up and gave us some scoring opportunities. That was a significant move in the day, which added real value in that part of the game. I was happy with his team-first attitude and engagement of VFL footy. He had a big influence on the game for us.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

If Watts needs the coach to play mind games and drop him to the reserves weeks out from finals in order to get motivated, he should give the game away. 

I reckon he needs to show something special at Casey this week, cause he didn't vs Williamstown, though his intensity was good. It's just not coming together for him at the moment. 

And with Brownlow coming good and Hogan hitting form, amiungst others, we may actually do ok without Jack Watts this September...

Rubbish, we pay coaches the big bucks to get the most out of their players. That's their job.

The biggest superstars have only become such as a result of their coaches keeping them in check when required, motivating when required. Every player needs something different to get them motivated. To get the extra 10%.  Some need Confidence, others need a rocket, some need to be left alone. Just depends on the personality.  

I think Goodwin has worked out what Watts needs to get his best.

• Like 2

Just now, Grand New Flag said:

Rubbish, we pay coaches the big bucks to get the most out of their players. That's their job.

The biggest superstars have only become such as a result of their coaches keeping them in check when required, motivating when required. Every player needs something different to get them motivated. To get the extra 10%.  Some need Confidence, others need a rocket, some need to be left alone. Just depends on the personality.  

I guess we'll see.

Big month for Mr Watts. 

11 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Can't see Bugg being back in the side after 1 VFL performance. Will need more credits in the bank. 

Out: Wagner, Stretch

In: Watts, Salem

Harmes or Watts to play wing.

If he's best 22 he plays. Offers speed, aggression, pressures the opposition and creates scoring opportunities. I'd play him.

The MC has made multiple changes previously but has usually done so after a loss or a bad loss. 

So, I can see 2 or possibly 3 changes.  The MC may make a couple more changes the week after (if we progress)

Salem,  Watts,  Frost,  Viney & Bugg are in the mix so it may be a case of bringing 2 or 3 of that 5 in for the Pies clash with the others in the mix for the following match (if augurs well)

Viney possibly needs more time off but we may need Frost in for one of the Pie talls. Bugg may have to bide his time as well (for now)

In: Watts,  Salem,  Frost

Out: Hannan,  Stretch,  Wagner

Regardless, we'll be picking a strong team  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand New Flag said:

Really?? So no player has ever had enough talent and self motivation to achieve top level status without a great coach??? Nonsense.

1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

Jack Watts: Jack had 20 possessions, including nine contested possessions, 11 marks, three clearances and kicked one goal. I thought he played a significant role on the weekend, particularly in the middle part of the game, where we needed to change some things up in the middle of the ground. He was able to play as a midfielder and give us some composure, plus some fierce ball movement, which opened up and gave us some scoring opportunities. That was a significant move in the day, which added real value in that part of the game. I was happy with his team-first attitude and engagement of VFL footy. He had a big influence on the game for us.

Can't get much more of a glowing review than that. Only real omission is the mention of getting back to AFL level.

From Plapp's review of Bugg I'd say he'll be in the VFL for a few more weeks.

Watts has probably done enough to earn a recall but he might just be unlucky due to team balance. I think the move into the midfield really showcased his ability to play a variety of roles, but if he's been pigeon holed as a tall marking forward in Goody's structure, and he only wants 2 tall forwards, then there's no way he'll be picked. 

21 minutes ago, Skin D said:

Really?? So no player has ever had enough talent and self motivation to achieve top level status without a great coach??? Nonsense.

Of course there are plenty of players out there like that, but for every one of them is a Watts who does need a good coach to be able to get the best out of them. Jones is one that's self driven, Watts occasionally needs a firecracker rammed up him to remind him he's not a monty to be picked every week.

I think he'll be picked this week and be given very specific KPI's he has to hit in order to maintain his spot. 

Bugg surely will have another week in the VFL, didn't set the world on fire at the VFL and should we make the finals he will have another VFL week to try to push someone out.

6 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Can't get much more of a glowing review than that. Only real omission is the mention of getting back to AFL level.

From Plapp's review of Bugg I'd say he'll be in the VFL for a few more weeks.

Watts has probably done enough to earn a recall but he might just be unlucky due to team balance. I think the move into the midfield really showcased his ability to play a variety of roles, but if he's been pigeon holed as a tall marking forward in Goody's structure, and he only wants 2 tall forwards, then there's no way he'll be picked. 

Yes he will. 

Will this be the game of the year? YAAAAAAAAA, now tell me why Media Parasites?. Contrived result 50 frees to pies none to MFc?

When will you ever learn? Why is Demonland more intellectually superior than all the the Media Umpire Idolizers put together.

Wish list of possible Umps 1, 15,22 Bingo 

1 hour ago, willmoy said:

Will this be the game of the year? YAAAAAAAAA, now tell me why Media Parasites?. Contrived result 50 frees to pies none to MFc?

When will you ever learn? Why is Demonland more intellectually superior than all the the Media Umpire Idolizers put together.

Wish list of possible Umps 1, 15,22 Bingo 

You've clearly missed a few threads over the journey 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, McQueen said:

If Watts comes back and turns in another insipid performance, it would be enough for me to close the door on his career at the club. This, of all games, is where Watts needs to be hungrier than ever

Lucky you have nothing to do with the club... 

Last time Wagner played a worst on ground pie like last week he followed it up with being one of the best. He might need to go for Salem. But I'd keep him.

Watts is Collingwoods nemesis. He has to play a week out from the final

i would drop Strech and let Watts play that role.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Demons11 said:

????  Maybe go back and watch the last qtr vs the Saints 

He didn't say he doesn't kick any, he said he misses too many. Which is correct. 

Apart from the 2 against the Saints, Hannan has missed all his set shots that weren't 20 metre out gimmes. 

I'm a big fan but he needs to work on this. 

• Like 1