Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN BROWN

Dee tention

Right, so it sounds as though we’re comfortable with pick 31 and 33 for Brown but the Roos want our pick 26 which we are keen to hold on to.

Hopefully 31 and 33 get it done. If we end up giving pick 26 then you would really hope that the other pick is later on in the draft. Say, 26 and 43. Hopefully we don’t cave and give up 26 plus one of 31 or 33.

I don't put much store in what Jon Ralph reports but fwiw:  "...Melbourne was “very open” to giving Picks 31 and 33 to North in exchange for Brown".

In points that is equivalent to #14 ?

Not on in my book for a player they have dumped on the footpath.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I don't put much store in what Jon Ralph reports but fwiw:  "...Melbourne was “very open” to giving Picks 31 and 33 to North in exchange for Brown".

I think we'd be asking for a future second back with Brown if that's the case, surely. 

they'd be looking to do what we are and engaging the dogs for their first round pick.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Play hard ball Deessss

• Like 2

If it were pick 26 and 31 which has also been touted it is equivalent to #10-#11.

Even in normal circumstances a pick equivalent in the #10-#14 range looks a bit on the high side.

If that is what they want they are doing an Essendon and acting like the player is under contract and they are happy to keep him.

Hope we don't weaken especially if we want to trade up the draft.

1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I think we'd be asking for a future second back with Brown if that's the case, surely. 

they'd be looking to do what we are and engaging the dogs for their first round pick.

I would hope so!

But they also seem very keen to trade up the draft and it looks like they want to be higher than the bulldogs pick, which is why they have turned down pick #38 from Geelong for Higgins.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Why are North dictating the terms here. Pick 33 in the circumstances is reasonable. They pulled their original contract, put him on the table and he has nominated us. They have no leverage. We just need to keep our heads.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Meds said:

My prediction - a good couple of pages of angry Demonlanders after it's announced today that Brown is joining us for a couple of 2nd rounders.

Anger will be justified.   Pick 31 is enough and pick 33 could be another Trent Rivers.  Jason Taylor will be angry too if we do it.

• Like 2

Just now, Pickett2Jackson said:

Anger will be justified.   Pick 31 is enough and pick 33 could be another Trent Rivers.  Jason Taylor will be angry too if we do it.

Agreed especially when Mahoney publically stated that it they weren't looking at a first round pick, that would include giving up the value of a first round pick. Initial information from North Melbourne was that they wanted the then pick 23 for Brown. We might be manoeuvring to find another way to provide the equivalent value of that pick without giving it up.

It would be very disappointing having been told that first round compensation was not on the table to then give up mid first round value. Say what you will about Mahoney but he is a pretty straight shooter, would be surprised if this were the case. This is the type of shenanigans you would expect from Dedoro or Bell. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Reckon we will still end up in the first round to get someone like Archie Perkins.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i'd personally have no issues giving two picks in the 30s - they'll end up being closer to picks in the 40s

brown is easily worth a first round draft pick equivalent imo - he's ready to go and a gun, particularly if you compare with cameron over the last five seasons

i think it's perfectly justifiable for north to demand more than pick 31 or 33, for instance, given the fact that gw$ are rejecting 3 first round picks for a player who has similar numbers to that which we'd be looking to give up two speculative picks in the 30-40 range

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Meds said:

My prediction - a good couple of pages of angry Demonlanders after it's announced today that Brown is joining us for a couple of 2nd rounders.

Yes there will be, I think he has some issues that North know about that we don't, these might not be injury based but something else.  I just can't understand why they are so keen to get rid of the bloke, he wanted to stay.  The reasons we want him should be the same reasons North want to keep him.

Pick 43 should be enough but I understand that it won't, one of our pick 26/31/33 should be enough.  I get the feeling we will give up one of our early picks and 43 or 50, I really hope we don't cough up two picks.

2 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i'd personally have no issues giving two picks in the 30s - they'll end up being closer to picks in the 40s

brown is easily worth a first round draft pick equivalent imo - he's ready to go and a gun, particularly if you compare with cameron over the last five seasons

i think it's perfectly justifiable for north to demand more than pick 31 or 33, for instance, given the fact that gw$ are rejecting 3 first round picks for a player who has similar numbers to that which we'd be looking to give up two speculative picks in the 30-40 range

No he isn't, he is being shown the door and nobody else wants him

WE are in the box seat offer the minimum for Gods sake and see what happens

• Like 2

I've let myself believe for a while now that we'd only have to pay something around 26, our initial pick. As of yesterday I was expecting it to be one of 26, 31 or 33.

I'm certainly far less excited at the thought of us sending two of 26, 31 and 33 for him with no other pick coming back. Our talk has been about wanting to get back into the first round and these three picks are surely, given what we have now, our best/only chance of doing that.

But, in saying all of that, Brown's fair market value is much more than just one of 26, 31 or 33. I feel like North shouldn't be getting that sort of value but what choice do we have? If we don't get a trade done, this won't be a Jack Martin style result for us.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

No he isn't, he is being shown the door and nobody else wants him

WE are in the box seat offer the minimum for Gods sake and see what happens

i think yr missing the point of what i said - he's worth the EQUIVALENT of a first round pick; he's an established regular goalkicker

and it's not true that nobody else wants him; we were into him, as too were at least the aints and the peptides who both had 'dialogue' with him

i think two picks in the 30-40 range is an absolute bargain for a top range full forward at his peak years

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i think yr missing the point of what i said - he's worth the EQUIVALENT of a first round pick; he's an established regular goalkicker

and it's not true that nobody else wants him; we were into him, as too were at least the aints and the peptides who both had 'dialogue' with him

i think two picks in the 30-40 range is an absolute bargain for a top range full forward at his peak years

No im not missing the point  Whatty.

At the moment he is only worth what someone is prepared to give

We will know his true value only when some deal is done either the Dess Saints or Essendon

Happy to have an Auction to determine his value  At the moment we have the whip hand and we should use it!

4 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I think the Jeremy Cameron vs Ben Brown comparison means we are still getting a bargain if it costs the equivalent of #14 or thereabout

I think that would be overs because the situation is different; Brown's been pushed out the door and Cameron's a required player

7 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I've let myself believe for a while now that we'd only have to pay something around 26, our initial pick. As of yesterday I was expecting it to be one of 26, 31 or 33.

I'm certainly far less excited at the thought of us sending two of 26, 31 and 33 for him with no other pick coming back.

Agreed, If we're offering two of those picks then we may be struggling to get back into this year's 1st round. In that case we should be chasing their future second round pick as part of the outcome.

3 minutes ago, TRIGON said:

I think that would be overs because the situation is different; Brown's been pushed out the door and Cameron's a required player

But if the end result is the same, is the reasoning that important?

Let's not forget Cameron is multiple first rounders and some, they are asking for much, much more than the Roos.

Brown on the wide open spaces of the MCG is better prospect than Cameron at the narrow confines of Geelong.

• Like 1