Changes vs North Melbourne

McQueen

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

No I didn't say that.

At the moment Trenners doesn't have the speed to play AFL.

I would like to see him play if he was 100%. I just don't think he ever will reach those heights again.

Struggling to disagree Barney. 

Trengove was top shelf JKH never will be sadly a VFL talent.

20 minutes ago, old dee said:

I think people are way too quick to write off JKH, hes 22 and just started playing some regular football again this year, he still has improvement to come as his body matures, if he's still at this level in another 2 years then we can start talking.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Garbo said:

I think people are way too quick to write off JKH, hes 22 and just started playing some regular football again this year, he still has improvement to come as his body matures, if he's still at this level in another 2 years then we can start talking.

He has one year. Contact ends at end of 2018. If it takes two years he is gone.

I think JKH was good against Port and is settling in nicely. Seems he's on the pace this time round and I suspect, like Nibbler, if given time would blossom as his confidence builds.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

Just now, old dee said:

He has one year. Contact ends at end of 2018. If it takes two years he is gone.

That may well be the case but so long as he shows something I can see him getting another contract after this. He is only a year older than Stretch who everyone (including myself) want to given as many chances as possible, It seems certain players always fall afoul quicker than others, ANB was another one people kept wanting to write off at 21 and look at him now. Most players unless they are an out and out gun take until there 4th or 5th year to really start showing something.

1 minute ago, Garbo said:

That may well be the case but so long as he shows something I can see him getting another contract after this. He is only a year older than Stretch who everyone (including myself) want to given as many chances as possible, It seems certain players always fall afoul quicker than others, ANB was another one people kept wanting to write off at 21 and look at him now. Most players unless they are an out and out gun take until there 4th or 5th year to really start showing something.

That is simply not true. The majority of draftees would be out of the system if it took five years to " start showing something"

People are jumping at shadows a bit regarding injuries in this thread- and honestly, after the year we've had, who can blame them.

Id be shocked if Jetta missed with a rolled ankle, Gawn with clear scans, or Viney after playing through so well on the weekend.

Im predicting Jones to be held off for at least one more week- he's too important to our September prospects to be rushed and I'll be damned if we make the finals and N.Jones isn't the man to lead us out!

Straight onto it this week ;)

Melbourne injury list: round 19

Neville Jetta (ankle) – available
Max Gawn (ankle) – test
Nathan Jones (quadriceps) – test
Bernie Vince (suspended) - 1 week
Tom Bugg (Suspended) - 4 weeks
Mitch White (hamstring) – 4-6 weeks
Dean Kent (shoulder) – 6 weeks

Pat McKenna (hamstring) – season
Tim Smith (navicular bone) – season
Aaron vandenBerg (heel) – season
Lochie Filipovic (hip flexor) – season
Colin Garland (knee) – season

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

That is simply not true. The majority of draftees would be out of the system if it took five years to " start showing something"

I don't mean they take 4 to 5 years to show anything but I think most here would agree that JKH has at times shown something at AFL level it just not consistently enough, if he can find that consistently and build from there he will have a place in the team. Which is hugely different to say what Toumpas showed in his time which was basically nothing

20 hours ago, old dee said:

I don't think you appreciate the restrictions of list size, draft and the salary cap.  Every side has fringe players in their 22, even premiership sides, here's one example from each the last 10 flag teams:

Dogs: Biggs
Hawks: Duryea, Suckling, Simpkin
Swans: Bird
Geelong: West
Collingwood: Blair
Geelong: Byrnes
Hawthorn: Ladson
Geelong: Wojcinski

There will be a couple of players like Kent, Hannan, Melksham, JKH, ANB, Bugg or Harmes in our flag side too - they won't all be Oliver, Hunt and Petracca.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

No I didn't say that.

At the moment Trenners doesn't have the speed to play AFL.

I would like to see him play if he was 100%. I just don't think he ever will reach those heights again.

That is such a bullshite line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

I don't think you appreciate the restrictions of list size, draft and the salary cap.  Every side has fringe players in their 22, even premiership sides, here's one example from each the last 10 flag teams:

Dogs: Biggs
Hawks: Duryea, Suckling, Simpkin
Swans: Bird
Geelong: West
Collingwood: Blair
Geelong: Byrnes
Hawthorn: Ladson
Geelong: Wojcinski

There will be a couple of players like Kent, Hannan, Melksham, JKH, ANB, Bugg or Harmes in our flag side too - they won't all be Oliver, Hunt and Petracca.

Not sure what my opinion on two players has to do with the list numbers

21 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

That is such a bullshite line.

Agreed. How about any or all of Sam Mitchell, Lewis, Vince, Watson, Seb Ross etc. None of them have speed and are arguably very good players. 

If you can find the ball and use it well, along with smart positioning, means you don't need to be Jeffy to play AFL!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HBDee said:

Agreed. How about any or all of Sam Mitchell, Lewis, Vince, Watson, Seb Ross etc. None of them have speed and are arguably very good players. 

If you can find the ball and use it well, along with smart positioning, means you don't need to be Jeffy to play AFL!

You named 4 guys who were dominant ball winners at their best and now should probably all be in the last year of their careers, maybe 1 more for Lewis.

Seb Ross has added a superb sidestep and burst to his game to allow him to avoid or chase down opponents. He's not slow anymore.

The reality is Trenners was getting destroyed out the back in the last quarter by Boak and S Gray. He was level with Boak on a back flank who then sprinted 5+m clear of him to mark uncontested. They sent the runner out to drag him off and then added Lewis as the 7th defender to stop Port getting over the top (which Impey did after Lewis dropped a chest mark).

Now the hope surely is that Trengove improves his positioning with more game time at half back and might even get AFL match fitness improvements to keep whatever sprint he has in him late in games. If he does he's a chance to hang in there. If not he's done.

• Like 1

I also witnessed the multiple Boak incidents of Trenners not being able to keep up. This is something that all teams and all coaches will look to exploit if given half the oppertunity. Hats off to the blokes unquestionable character and determination but his blatent lack off leg speed is too great a risk to be carrying into finals IMO.

Edited by WA Demon13