• Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

• Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

I salute Jack Watts

dazzledavey36

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

You don't have to be mentally tough, you just value the opinions of those that matter to you and ignore the rest which are just hot air, Jack is very good at that

Part of the issue with Boyd is the heat from within the club that has impacted him

Not sure about that. The flack Jack took was incredible. It was relentless and everywhere. He knew it hurt his mom so it must have hurt him. To tune the whole world out like you say takes a high degree of mental fortitude for me. I think many have  forgotten (not necessarily yourself) how much crap he copped.

I always loved Paul Roos' comment that if he were Jack he would have moved to Hawaii by now.

Boyd is another story.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

Jack's my favorite player and I love watching him play, but I understand the criticism he received. For years he gave this perception that he didn't play with intensity and I think that gave people the reason to criticise him. If you're a footballer, you can be criticised. It comes with the territory and no one is excused. 

What I often wonder with Jack though, is that was his lack of confidence on the field (which was clear) manifested this "laziness" tag? In other words, Jack lacked confidence which meant he didn't give it his all as he doubted his own abilities/was afraid of failing and disappointing. A lack of quality coaches compounded this issue until Roos came a long and started to work on these confidence issues.

I think Jack has had mental demons on the field, and I think anyone watching him in 2013 and some of 2014, 2015 could see that. Credit to Jack though, he's been able to realise Football isn't everything, which has probably helped him with the criticism, and fortunately his football has turned around which means he's enjoying life even more but still not riding the emotional rollercoaster of a win/loss mentality that football can have on many players. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Luther said:

Just uneducated people who never really watched him play, and were caught up in the media circus. Still happens with a number of my friends (mostly Richmond supporters) who regard Watts as a spud. When I ask if they've seen him play in the last few years, they can't give me an answer.

Yes in my case it is Carlton supporters, they seem to have a visceral hatred of Jack, but when asked why, they can't answer. Pity he is not playing Sunday, I'm sure he would clean them up!

i understand Carlton made a serious play for Jack some time ago - maybe it is carried over bitterness. If so, how junvenile. 

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I know that Tom Scully is not loved on this board but when watching GWS in recent weeks I could not help but think of him and Trenners and then think to myself that Tom did the right thing by himself and good luck to him.

They owe us nothing save doing their best each week and if they play well we as supporters are the winners.

Go Dees

Perhaps you're forgetting that Jimmy on his deathbed in his own home asked Tommy if he was staying for list management reasons.

Outside Tommy said yes. Why else do you think he's the most despised person on this site.

You can take your your thoughts to the cleaners

Go Dees

• Like 3

17 hours ago, puntkick said:

I know that Tom Scully is not loved on this board but when watching GWS in recent weeks I could not help but think of him and Trenners and then think to myself that Tom did the right thing by himself and good luck to him.

He did the right thing for himself in terms of money and well may play in a GF but there is a chance that GWS might not be around in 12 years. They have 10000 members and imagine how many will drop off when they don't dominate.

Reckon Boyd earned his 7million bucks during september last year.
He stood up when needed during the finals and slammed home the clincher which will be burnt into the Bulldog supporters memories till they die.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have met and spoken to Jack once about the topic of being #1 pick. What many don't know is that he is extremely hard on himself, and is always critiquing his own performances. He is a superb person and we are absolutely privileged to have him at our football club.

• Like 9

I've been dealing with player haters all my life.

Only me,Jack and Beiber know what it's like but we battle on.

• Like 6

Gawn and Jack in 60 secs.

one question near the end is very frustrating.

Which do you prefer Jack Basketball or Football.       BASKETBALL

Jack we don't want that answer!

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I'm more upset he picked Naitanui over himself! 

On 7/6/2017 at 8:24 PM, Dees2014 said:

Yes in my case it is Carlton supporters, they seem to have a visceral hatred of Jack, but when asked why, they can't answer. Pity he is not playing Sunday, I'm sure he would clean them up!

i understand Carlton made a serious play for Jack some time ago - maybe it is carried over bitterness. If so, how junvenile. 

I believe Jack's fashion tastes extend beyond brown paper !

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

He was pretty tongue in cheek the entire interview.

• Like 2

On 07/07/2017 at 2:23 AM, puntkick said:

Perhaps you're forgetting that Jimmy on his deathbed in his own home asked Tommy if he was staying for list management reasons.

Outside Tommy said yes. Why else do you think he's the most despised person on this site.

You can take your your thoughts to the cleaners

Go Dees

I've always wondered about this hatred of Scully based on the fact he supposedly lied to Jimmy on his death bed.  Scully was a young kid who was placed in a situation that no kid his age should have had to deal with.  In the face of this dilemna (what to tell a dying man), he more than likely told Jimmy what he thought he would want to hear, rather than add to his pain by saying he was planning to leave the club.

I think people have always been a bit harsh and am amazed that where they saw Watts as being the victim of unwarranted "bullying", they had no issue in constantly berating (even to this day) Scully.  When will people learn that bullying is completely unacceptable, regardless of the motivation.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2017 at 0:11 PM, deebug said:

I remember when Jack said how he has gotten used to people saying terrible things about his football, then he said it's his mum who finds it hard to cope with such comments.

I felt for Jack and his family after Jack had said that. Jack has held his head up high through out all the hate that had been thrown his way: and i respect him for doing so, and hopefully he can be part of helping out great club to that one day in September, or October?:D

Best wishes to Jack - for a monster day...and to his mother - may she smile from the first bounce to the final siren!

13 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I've always wondered about this hatred of Scully based on the fact he supposedly lied to Jimmy on his death bed.  Scully was a young kid who was placed in a situation that no kid his age should have had to deal with.  In the face of this dilemna (what to tell a dying man), he more than likely told Jimmy what he thought he would want to hear, rather than add to his pain by saying he was planning to leave the club.

i wouldn't actually be surprised if the the truth to it all was Tom didn't 'lie' as such. He was not allowed to publicly state what was happening. My gut tells me Jimmy knew he was leaving and was told as such, yet he publicly stated otherwise to protect a young man from the machine that would have well and truly ostracized him from the AFL community. i have no proof other than the knowledge that Jimmy would rather have taken any heat on any matter to keep it off a young kid

20 minutes ago, jako13 said:

i wouldn't actually be surprised if the the truth to it all was Tom didn't 'lie' as such. He was not allowed to publicly state what was happening. My gut tells me Jimmy knew he was leaving and was told as such, yet he publicly stated otherwise to protect a young man from the machine that would have well and truly ostracized him from the AFL community. i have no proof other than the knowledge that Jimmy would rather have taken any heat on any matter to keep it off a young kid

After 80% of Demonland threads over the years have been derailed by Jack Watts, it is surely an indication of his change in status at Melbourne (and here) that his own thread is derailed by discussion of someone else.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I think people have always been a bit harsh and am amazed that where they saw Watts as being the victim of unwarranted "bullying", they had no issue in constantly berating (even to this day) Scully.  When will people learn that bullying is completely unacceptable, regardless of the motivation.

In fairness to Scully I don't begrudge him for what he said to Jimmy. Doesn't mean I won't boo him everytime he touches the ball (which is a fair bit these days, it was far more fun when he wasn't good). 

On 06/07/2017 at 8:16 PM, At the break of Gawn said:

Jack's my favorite player and I love watching him play, but I understand the criticism he received. For years he gave this perception that he didn't play with intensity and I think that gave people the reason to criticise him. If you're a footballer, you can be criticised. It comes with the territory and no one is excused. 

What I often wonder with Jack though, is that was his lack of confidence on the field (which was clear) manifested this "laziness" tag? In other words, Jack lacked confidence which meant he didn't give it his all as he doubted his own abilities/was afraid of failing and disappointing. A lack of quality coaches compounded this issue until Roos came a long and started to work on these confidence issues.

I think Jack has had mental demons on the field, and I think anyone watching him in 2013 and some of 2014, 2015 could see that. Credit to Jack though, he's been able to realise Football isn't everything, which has probably helped him with the criticism, and fortunately his football has turned around which means he's enjoying life even more but still not riding the emotional rollercoaster of a win/loss mentality that football can have on many players. 

That's such a good post.

Everyone's got a Jack story. A vivid memory I have is after a loss at Etihad. The team had performed very badly, but Jack wasn't too bad. As the team walked off, a supporter totally "lost it" and was screaming hysterical abuse at the team. Jack stopped in his tracks and glared at the "supporter". I admired him for that.

• Like 2

A very nice Jack highlights video:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2017-07-21/jack-watts-150th

A bit surprised his goal earlier this year vs Geelong (@1.40 minute mark of video) wasn't nominated for GOTW.  He got the ball to spill free from danger, made a great second effort to get back behind the ball then made a very slick one handed pick up and goaled from about 70mts.

I still tear up at his superb goal on QB vs Pies a few months ago - that may become the defining image of his career. 

In every way have a great day , Jack!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

On 06/07/2017 at 8:16 PM, At the break of Gawn said:

Very insightful comments.