Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 15

Demonland

I love our current team footy, but this will be a difficult game to win, with 5 of our best 22 unable to play. Our ability to get in the game and stay in it will once again rely heavily on

1) our midfield's ability to match the experienced, hard-bodied Sydney mids. 

2) Keeping Buudy covered. A very difficult thing to do at the MCG.

3) our forwards moving and not allowing third man up spoils or intercept marking. This is where I reckon we can win the game, as long as 1) and 2) above are at least breaking even. 

Edited by Maldonboy38
Carp typing skills on my Samsung tablet -again.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chook said:

On the MCG I'd bring Wiedemann in as another marking target.

OUT: Garlett, Salem

INS: Kennedy-Harris, Weidemann

I'd play Hannan in the Garlett role, Tom McDonald as a roving CHF, Pedersen as a decoy, and Weideman close to goal. JKH as an accumulating midfielder (none of this small-forward stuff. He's no more a small forward than Jetta is).

I think Weed and Wagner will be the ins.  

• Like 1

Coming home from Perth is difficult at the best of times, even on a 7 day break. When you consider it`s our 4th game in 18 days, along with 5 crucial players out injured, this would easily be our best win for the year if we get up, as good as the last 3 have been!

If I was a betting man I`d be loading up on a Swans 1- 39 point victory. I would however not at all be surprised if we get up such is our current form and attack on the footy.

Can`t wait to be there!

why name those three outs at the presser. Jon Ralph was talking up Hogan to play. Goodwin is too honest. 

In: Wagner, Kent

Out: Salem Garlett

no more injuries please, hope we don't play Weeds needs more time to develop

Edited by shorty

If the boys are in this game for most of the night and we run out of legs, then I can't really complain.

However, I still think we are every chance to win this.  Our strength this year has been our midfield and our contested footy, and outside of Jones we have a very fit list in this regard.  We can more than match it with them and with Gawn back in the side it can give us a slight edge at times.  Our backline is also very steady at the minute and they've had plenty of games together.  I'd like to see Frost get first crack at Buddy, but you would also expect them to rotate through him as well.  

The concern is obviously the forward line, especially with Hogan, Watts and now Garlett missing as well.  We will need to take every chance we're given to ensure we can get some scoreboard pressure going and stay in the game.  If we fluff some chances or dominate early and don't kick a few goals then this game will become very difficult to win.

I can't wait to see the boys do us proud on Friday night, and I'm hoping against hope that we can win number 5 on the trot!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

If the boys are in this game for most of the night and we run out of legs, then I can't really complain.

However, I still think we are every chance to win this.  Our strength this year has been our midfield and our contested footy, and outside of Jones we have a very fit list in this regard.  We can more than match it with them and with Gawn back in the side it can give us a slight edge at times.  Our backline is also very steady at the minute and they've had plenty of games together.  I'd like to see Frost get first crack at Buddy, but you would also expect them to rotate through him as well.  

The concern is obviously the forward line, especially with Hogan, Watts and now Garlett missing as well.  We will need to take every chance we're given to ensure we can get some scoreboard pressure going and stay in the game.  If we fluff some chances or dominate early and don't kick a few goals then this game will become very difficult to win.

I can't wait to see the boys do us proud on Friday night, and I'm hoping against hope that we can win number 5 on the trot!

Gee Wiseblood love the passion, can we do it ? OUR OUTS ARE CONSIDERABLE But if the 22 that run out BELIEVE! Then we can and will win!

GO DEES!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon_spurs said:

How about selecting Spencer, that way we can push Maxy forward, and really stretch them

I like your thinking..

Max on ball centre and forward Spencer rucks and drifts back. Rotations off the bench. Just gives an element of surprise and flexibility.

Do Swans have Tippet?

2 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Love to make finals with a full compliment. They wont know what hit em.:roos:

that sums up 2017 deever.

if we're all fit I reckon we'll makew the granny.

maybe they are trying to manage Watts. Garlett Hogan etc as Sept looms.

massive if we get up again with so many out

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I think there may be some foxing going on with this weeks selection. we may be  surprised by at least one of Hogan, Garlett and Watts.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I think there may be some foxing going on with this weeks selection. we may be  surprised by at least one of Hogan, Garlett and Watts.

Can't see it goody is a straight shooter if he says they are not playing then they won't be 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Don't think that would go down well with the betting agencies when it comes from the horse's mouth.

David King is such a pusnut he just had a whinge about Jack Viney getting off when North Melbournes Zeibel I think it was, was suspended for 3 weeks for a similar incident last season. 

Geez King have a sookie sookie la la about it. The thing is if it wasn't a north player he wouldn't have said anything. 

Don't even know why he brought it up tbh.

Bloody sook. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

There has been so many mentions of how the club planned for the fatigue that this stretch of the season was going to cause there was no way they would be playing anybody that has a niggle. It's not worth the risk.

• Like 1

The ins (Watts, Garlett, Hogan)  next week vs Carlton are going to look very, very nice.

Especially considering we will be coming off 5 straight wins. Yes we will beat Sydney.

• Like 2

I think Sydney will be coming for us.

We may have a depleted forward line, but we're still kicking decent scores and it revolves a fair deal on forward-pressure. The Swans will be looking at ways to counter this. Garlett is no. 1 and drives the forward line in this regard - is he replaceable or do we look at a different forward set-up to counter Swan expectations - e.g. go as tall as we can and counter their planning with Weid and maybe Spence in rather than try to cover Garlett with Kent/Kennedy/JHK/Hunt/etc.?

Next stop, midfield. Where it will probably be won when all is said and done. And they've got the insides to match. Jack Viney will still be hurting, and he'll be tested by the senior Swans. Expect this to be a focus of theirs, a lot of blocking, the Swans to be planning for Max, as well as our extras of half-back, and maybe conceding some Oliver touch in the middle. This is where I'm actually most concerned for the first time.

And defense. I reckon the Swans will try to isolate and get us on rebound the way other teams have kept the scoreboard ticking over in the past. But I have also sensed a subtle change in the past two weeks (didn't see much of the Collingwood match), with us relaxing our high press a bit and tightening down back - while scoring a lot ourselves on rebound and over the top. Will be interesting to see if the Swans have looked at this themselves as well or if they'll rely on the old formula of beating the Demons 2017. 

All in all; I think this will come down to the coaching, and Goody and co. are at a decent disadvantage.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DemonOX said:

David King is such a pusnut he just had a whinge about Jack Viney getting off when North Melbournes Zeibel I think it was, was suspended for 3 weeks for a similar incident last season. 

Geez King have a sookie sookie la la about it. The thing is if it wasn't a north player he wouldn't have said anything. 

Bloody sook. 

Difference was zeibs lined him up, jack was going for the ball and zeibs has a bad record jack doesn't 

• Like 1

Our forward line is badlly depleted. Also we have our best midfielder Jones out as well. Don't forget  the smarts of Salem also.

I will be glad to stay within 30 points of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Our forward line is badlly depleted. Also we have our best midfielder Jones out as well. Don't forget  the smarts of Salem also.

I will be glad to stay within 30 points of them.

I don't agree that Jones is our best midfielder.

11 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Don't think that would go down well with the betting agencies when it comes from the horse's mouth.

Stuff them. Couldn't give a damn.

We will know fairly early how we are going to go - not by the scoreboard (although this does help) - but how we choke their spread, deny them the corridor and make each contest hot.

If we are lagging behind, offering heaps of uncontested marks and not sticking tackles, the Swans will get us.  If we make it tough and use our speed to break the lines and cut the angles to open up their defense, then we are in with a real shot.

Garlett is an important out.  Real goal sense, and runs like a bastard.  Creates at least a couple of goals a game.  Need to fill this slot and function.

Salem has been great, but think Wagner could take the role (even at 80% of Salem should be OK).

Buddy is a totem.  Doubt he will kick a bag, but it is important we deny him the ability to 'lift' his team with his acts of brilliance.  Make him get his kicks 70+ From goals.  No uncontested grabs.

They will probably test Viney's shoulder, and tag Oliver (after giving him grief after last weekend).  Need Max to give us an armchair ride on the exits, and a plan B to even up the midfield if we get caught behind.  Perhaps we need to put a bit of work into Parker.

Quietly confident.  It has been a hard stretch, but think that we have the grunt factory to take the chocolates - if they are on from the start.

11 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Bloody sook. 

King's point was fair, the issue is that Ziebell shouldn't have been suspended for what he did but that was a long time ago.

The exciting thing about having depth tested is we can see what mid tier players like Harmes, Bugg and Neal-Bullen are capable of when given an extended run at it. I wouldn't be taking them for granted. All in the top 7 tacklers last weekend and bobbing up with important score involvements. 

If you purely look at the players going out from the last game, Jeffy was relatively quiet and Salem whilst a loss was not hugely influential on the result. So in terms of the side that pulled off the greatest win we've had in years, they're not disastrous outs.

If JKH gets a chance this week he must grab it. Another poor performance will cement him in some fan's minds as being incapable of taking a step up, I'm still a believer. Kent and Wagner are more like for like although Kennedy has earned a call up. Will be interesting to see who the coaches view as leading that pack.

• Like 2

You can't really count Hogan as an out considering 6 of our 8 wins have come without his services.

He's obviously in out best 22 but we've shown we can easily win without him.

We didn't have the services of Jones and Watts last week while Garlett was a non entity with 4 possessions and Salem only played a half. You'd imagine/hope Kent or Kennedy would provide far more output than an injured Garlett of last week. 

So the outs for this week (Garlett and Salem) barely contributed last week while hopefully the 2 ins provide far more.

That being said we're entitled to lose this game given the back to back to back 6 day breaks coming back from Perth. However, we must beat Carlton the following week, not negotiable.

• Like 1

As a reluctant expert - from the FD perspective, I suspect they are willing to concede a certain number of games (if they have to concede) and this will be built in to the management of the players with respect to injury. I'd rather lose 2 in a row now (geez not carlton) than lose two in a row and sustain further depletion of players just to get up from round 18 onwards.