Queen's Birthday

martin

My take: 80,000 plus will be there.

We now have three or more blokes in this team that know how to play fair and hard against players who come into a game like this injured.

Goody knows what the game means to everyone connected with this Club. By the same token the rubbish that will be spewed out to the public will be all about Pies, with a season ending, everything (Coach) on the line propaganda.

We might just play our Maynard, i wonder....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Agree, arguably their most important player. Wells out robs them of a bit of class as well. Sounds as if Goldsack is definitely out as well. 

Leaving aside my obvious subjectively, if you look at this game objectively it sets up very well for a win for the dees, and possibly a big win. Collingwood are a youngish side, travelling back from WA (albeit with an 8 day break), have some key injuries, have been 'up''for a few weeks and playing on emotion and are coming off a tough game where they played a man short for a big chunk of that time and expended a lot of emotional energy.

Collingwood are also probably looking forward to the bye to freshen up, whilst we are coming off a bye and should be fresh. You'd think that the big crowd and big occasion of Freeze 3 at the G will help them avoid a sluggish start. Added to that, yes they are coming off three wins in a row but all all against pretty average sides.  If we get going early i can see us winning pretty well. I haven't looked at the line yet but if i was setting it i would have it as the dees +27.

I just checked the line is at +8 so great value in my opinion as is the +40 at 4.50

Hopefully neale Daniher will be there again to give the boys a gee up...

• Like 6

I don't think we can get too concerned about who Collingwood doesn't have out there, they still have plenty of class in the midfield and if they get on top we'll be in trouble.

I'm still concerned about our form at the MCG, another slow start, staring at a 25 point deficit at quarter time....hope not....

35 minutes ago, sisso said:

I don't think we can get too concerned about who Collingwood doesn't have out there, they still have plenty of class in the midfield and if they get on top we'll be in trouble.

I'm still concerned about our form at the MCG, another slow start, staring at a 25 point deficit at quarter time....hope not....

Exactly. We will be Red Hot Favourites, but only the true Demon Supporter knows how hollow that could be. 

But it could also be The Big Game we need....

If the game is close and Collingwood play with the same intensity and desire as against Freo in the last quarter despite a bench full of cripples we won't win. It was a long time ago when we finished off a hard fought game like that and prevailed.  If we win in a canter, hard questions will still not be answered.

Edited by america de cali

2 minutes ago, america de cali said:

If the game is close and Collingwood play with the same intensity and desire as against Freo in the last quarter despite a bench full of cripples we won't win. It was a long time ago when we finished off a hard fought game like that and prevailed. 

Full week to plan, Games like this will tell all. 

13 hours ago, martin said:

Good win by the Pies today but Freo were shizen. Sandilands was a big miss. Fyfe had to do some rucking!Collingwood injuries came late. Hill was injured early on for the Dockers and had little influence. Pies have won three in a row but struggled in this and average against the Hawks & Lions. Our biggest concerns are coming off the bye and no Gawn.

Disagree our biggest concern is between the ears.  

Has been for years and continues to be. 

Get this right and we will be fine. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 4

I as usual have no confidence that we will win this game. My half empty view on life as A Melbourne supporter, sees us coming out flat after the bye. Being 27 points down at qtr time with the usual"spirited" come back and ultimately losing a winnable game on our home ground

• Like 1

On games so far this season at the G, I have no confidence or trust in the Dee's.  This is what this club does to its supporters!

i will be there as usual but fully expect the team to be asleep at the start.

i really hope the club led by Jackson gives our club lots of exposure this week.  It's not a Pies home game, it's OURS!  Let's get some noise going for the club.  What happens on the field is between the ears of the players...a great chance for the club to make a huge statement and get inside the 8. 

Elliott is a massive out for them if confirmed, he's been the difference for them in recent games - has kicked 3, 3, 3, 4, & 3 goals in his last 5 games.  Even bigger if Fasolo remains out.

Wells is a significant out when Varcoe is already out too.

If Goldsack is out they'll need to get Reid back - they'll want him back anyway.

IMO Jake Spencer would be very handy, Grundy is a force.  Jake must be busting to get back as early as possible because he must realise there's a finite set of games until he's replaced by Max.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

Maybe that's why Dunn loves being there, he's in his comfort zone. 

I always thought Dunn was a good player for us.( certainly could use another tall at the minute. ) Was sad to see him go but believe that Hibberd more than makes up his loss.

Howe on the other hand not missing. No matter how well he plays for pies...they can keep him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Soidee said:

On games so far this season at the G, I have no confidence or trust in the Dee's.  This is what this club does to its supporters!

i will be there as usual but fully expect the team to be asleep at the start.

i really hope the club led by Jackson gives our club lots of exposure this week.  It's not a Pies home game, it's OURS!  Let's get some noise going for the club.  What happens on the field is between the ears of the players...a great chance for the club to make a huge statement and get inside the 8. 

Will Daniher be there to fire them up pre game?

26 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

IMO Jake Spencer would be very handy, Grundy is a force.

With no match practice I don't think Jake will play and if he did he would be a liability against Grundy.

Strange feeling about this game.... I am expecting a win

Just feel that we have been bubbling along for several weeks and this might be the week that we click not to mention Bugg kicks straight.

They may use Dunn to try and kick over the zone from the backline. We need to make Howe accountable or go round him.

Hopefully it is not too close a game as the Magpie army will be there in force !!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rjay said:

With no match practice I don't think Jake will play and if he did he would be a liability against Grundy.

I don't agree, Jake did a full pre-season and he injured his shoulder so he should have been running for quite a while, unlike Max, so he is likely to have retained his endurance.  What sort of "match practice" - at Casey?  Do you think Gawn is going to play at Casey to get :"match practice" before returning to MFC?  I don't - he'll be straight in and Jake could be too.  If Jake gets through a solid contested work-out at training then he'll be pushing hard to be in and IMO they should play him.  In: Jake out: OMac

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

IMO Jake Spencer would be very handy, Grundy is a force.  Jake must be busting to get back as early as possible because he must realise there's a finite set of games until he's replaced by Max.

If Max is right, the finite number of games is 1.

24 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Do you think Gawn is going to play at Casey to get :"match practice" before returning to MFC?  I don't - he'll be straight in and Jake could be too.

One is an AA, probably the best ruck in the comp the other is a battler at best. 

Not like for like 'Fifty'...but personally I wouldn't mind Max having a run at Casey on managed time before bringing him back in.

Having said that I agree with your take on Grundy, but even a fully fit Spencer would struggle with him.

I doubt the FD will bring in an underdone Spencer but I trust they will have a good plan.

Maybe you're right and he is the plan.

9 minutes ago, Redleg said:

If Max is right, the finite number of games is 1.

Last injury report after R10 said "Expected return" Jake 2 weeks, Max 4 weeks.  Agree Max come straight in when ready, therefore Jake has to get back ASAP to maximise his games - which I'm sure he'll want to do.  Based on that data Jake possibly plays against Collingwood and the Dogs and Max comes back for West Coast away - I doubt that with the plane flight - I think they'd hold Max over too the Sydney game.  That means if Jake can get up this week he gets 2-3 games but if he can't get up until the Dogs he only get 1 or 2 games.  He'll be busting the door down to get up for the Pies IMO.  This week's injury report will be interesting.  I predict Jake "test".

• Like 3

Just now, rjay said:

One is an AA, probably the best ruck in the comp the other is a battler at best. 

Not like for like 'Fifty'...but personally I wouldn't mind Max having a run at Casey on managed time before bringing him back in.

Having said that I agree with your take on Grundy, but even a fully fit Spencer would struggle with him.

I doubt the FD will bring in an underdone Spencer but I trust they will have a good plan.

Maybe you're right and he is the plan.

If Jake can play, he can share the ruck load with Pedersen and Watts so he doesn't have to ruck all day.  And TMac can go back and replace OMac.  It's really Jake's possible input compared with OMac's input.  If it all goes horribly wrong then we'll just have to ruck Pedersen and Watts for the rest of the day ...

Not confident about this match. We've been rubbish at the MCG this year and the Pies have won 3 in a row despite battling injuries. We need to start adjusting our game style for the MCG or we'll go nowhere fast. Our high zone seems to get caught out more at the G than anywhere else.

If Elliot is out though that is a massive loss for them and tips it back in our favour. He is pretty much their whole forward line this year. When he plays he kicks goals and sets them up. Since he returned their form has gone from poor to decent. If he is out, they immediately 5 goals or so that he would've kicked or setup. It's massive. If we lose to them without Elliott playing we may as well give up. 

Would love to win this won purely to prove Champion Data rankings are bullsh*t. Best ranked midfield in the comp (Pies) vs the worst ranked midfield in the comp (Dees). I believe this is way off for both teams and hope we prove it. Win the midfield battle and we win the match. Their best remaining players if Elliot is out are Treloar, Pendles and Grundy, all in the middle. Win the battle in the middle, win the game as we best them all around the ground.

• Like 1

In: Spencer Salem
Out: OMac Wagner/Bugg

B: Jetta TMac Hibberd
HB: Hunt Frost Salem
C: Jones Oliver Lewis
HF: Petracca Pedersen ANB
F: Hannan Watts Garlett
R: Spencer Vince Viney
I: Tyson Melksham Harmes Wagner/Bugg

19 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

If Jake can play, he can share the ruck load with Pedersen and Watts so he doesn't have to ruck all day.  And TMac can go back and replace OMac.  It's really Jake's possible input compared with OMac's input.  If it all goes horribly wrong then we'll just have to ruck Pedersen and Watts for the rest of the day ...

...and be one down.

Not a good plan 'Fifty'.