Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Essendon (Round 6)

gregdemon

Out: Hogan  In: Pedersen

Out: Spencer  In: Oscar Mc (with Frost or possibly Tom Mc rucking) or Keilty to ruck. 

Out: Smith  In: Hannan - need a mobile 3rd or 4th tall who might be able to mark it

Out: JKH  In: Bugg

Out: Melkshake/Vince - can't have both of these 2 head cases in the same side  In: Lewis

FB: Jetta  Oscar/Frost  Hibberd
HB: Hunt  Tommy   Lewis
C:  Bugg   Jones   Stretch
HF: ANB   Petracca  Harmes
FF: Garlett  Pedersen  Watts
Foll: Frost/Keilty   Oliver  Viney
Int: Tyson  Salem  Hannan  Melkshake/Vince

• Like 1

15 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

It's been said by a few on here but just laying some tackles is not, and cannot be, sufficient at AFL level.

I'd back Kennedy, if not Kent, to apply the same level of forward pressure and provide far more to the team outside of that than what JKH offered on the weekend.

How can you back Kent he had 2 tackles in his last two games? Do you think he was not told it was a focus? 

• Like 2

Somehow i still favour a fwd who scores....than one who doesn't. 

Many of of JKH tackles simply resulted from being second to the contest. 

Im not against Keny playing. Shove a rocket up him with a clear message but his upside is far greater than Jays. Just is.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, ProDee said:

I know what you mean, but he doesn't have pace, doesn't have any x-factor, and doesn't kick goals.

I know the coaches rate him, but I'm not overly sure why.

He's been cruelled by injuries for a while and I've seen him in some nice passages of play, but I don't see a special player in our midst.  

I think he's ideally suited to the high half forward role because he has a good tank, runs to the right spots to open the game up for others and can be clean with his hands and kicking (although didn't show that on the weekend). I think he can be effective in that role despite not kicking goals. Probably 0.5 a goal a week can be enough if he's coming up around the ball and distributing. 

But aside from goal kicking, some skill errors and lack of x factor I'd drop him on the basis of some really poor efforts on the weekend. If he's not putting his body on the line then he's got to go. Sort that out and I'd still like to give him more of a go over ANB or Kennedy. 

It's a very tough call for the FD, in hindsight probably should have kept Fitzpatrick ha ha and we have to find coverage for 6-7 weeks, we either get smart and creative or our season is going to be in tatters!!!!! - Go Dee's

I favour playing Tom McDonald as the ruckman and bringing in Oscar McDonald to replace Spencer. I know that Tom McDonald is the linchpin of our defence, but he didn’t have the reach last year against Daniher, so perhaps his brother or Frost is actually better matchup for him.

Bugg probably deserves a call up given his performance at Casey, although the opposition was poor, and I am not sure he is well suited to Docklands. He would be my first emergency, particularly if Petracca does not come up.

JHK was our weakest player on the weekend IMO but is better suited to Etihad than others. I also think only giving him one game to prove himself is a bit rough.

Tyson is slow and out of form and this worries me at Docklands. I am particularly worried about a lack of pace if both Lewis and Tyson are in the same team. We might not have much choice, however, if Viney and/or Jones are injured.

I would be keen for Vince to go into the midfield and Lewis to go down back. I think Vince going into the midfield helps reduce our current overuse of handball. And Lewis and Tyson cannot be played in the same midfield IMO due to lack of pace/spread, particularly if Oliver, Viney and Jones are also in there.

Kent needs to get a kick in the VFL to earn his spot back.

So at the moment I would go with Oscar McDonald in for Spencer, Lewis in for Smith and Pedersen in for Hogan. This all obviously assumes that Petracca, Viney and Jones are all right to play.

Hibberd, O McDonald, Jetta

Melksham, Frost, Hunt

Stretch, Oliver, Salem

Neal-Bullen, Pedersen, Kennedy-Harris

Garlett, Watts, Petracca

T McDonald, Jones, Viney

Tyson, Lewis, Vince, Harmes

• Like 1

Not realistic unfortunately.

The club clearly likes Watts in the Ruck over Frost so I think he will share it with Pederson.

Wouldnt be surprised if Weiderman comes back in to allow Watt's and Pederson more freedom to lead up the ground or visa versa.

Frost might pinch hit but I think they need his pace and height to drop back if Essendon get out like Richmond did last game.

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

In: Pedersen, Lewis, Bugg, Weideman

Out: Smith, Spencer, Hogan, JKH

Bugg rewarded for form and takes the spot of Kennedy-Harris, while Kent was apparently quiet at Casey and doesn't get rewarded for being quiet in the VFL.

They could bring in Oscar instead of Weideman and switch Tom to the forward-line.

Have the athletic Frost take Daniher (when he goes forward), who has always torn Tom a new one.

They just have to get creative, lower the eyes, spread the forward-line and pick out holes.  If we can win the midfield battle we can still win this game.

In reality, I have no idea how selections will go this week.

I have no idea either, but I reckon JKH stays. He had 7 or 8 tackles, 5 marks and I'd say most were under significant pressure. He made some blues yes, but the FD demand and reward that forward pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Out: Hogan  In: Pedersen

Out: Spencer  In: Oscar Mc (with Frost or possibly Tom Mc rucking) or Keilty to ruck. 

Out: Smith  In: Hannan - need a mobile 3rd or 4th tall who might be able to mark it

Out: JKH  In: Bugg

Out: Melkshake/Vince - can't have both of these 2 head cases in the same side  In: Lewis

FB: Jetta  Oscar/Frost  Hibberd
HB: Hunt  Tommy   Lewis
C:  Bugg   Jones   Stretch
HF: ANB   Petracca  Harmes
FF: Garlett  Pedersen  Watts
Foll: Frost/Keilty   Oliver  Viney
Int: Tyson  Salem  Hannan  Melkshake/Vince

Probably the best balanced side available given the diabolical big man situation injuries have left us with.

Especially with Jesse out we desperately need Watts and / or Pedo up forward most of the game. 

And probably need Frost down back to try to handle the Anzac medalist (yuk)

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

How can you back Kent he had 2 tackles in his last two games? Do you think he was not told it was a focus? 

Rather like the protected species #18

Kent needs to get a kick in the VFL to earn his spot back.

I thought more that he needs a kick in the butt. 

Edited by monoccular
Addendum

5 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

I have no idea either, but I reckon JKH stays. He had 7 or 8 tackles, 5 marks and I'd say most were under significant pressure. He made some blues yes, but the FD demand and reward that forward pressure.

and doughnuts !! just saying.. Thats not a good result for a forward. I mentioned elsewhere ..tackles are grand..but if half are because you're late to the ball..well..Not much good either..

If he sparked..that'd be great..  I just dont see it personally.  only mho ..granted

On 25/04/2017 at 3:55 PM, deestar said:

You have read my mind. 

We are royaly screwed in the ruck dept and bringing in a kid Mitch King isn't the right call. Frost has unbelievable athletic ability and the coaching staff need to work some magic with ruck school this week. Frost does some amazing things and utterly stupid things but like Goodwin has said they need to get creative. Not sure on his tank though ... anyone know what his endurance is like ? Pederson in as that utility forward and back that can pinch hit ruck. Watts in the fwd line is much more dangerous.

Leaving Kent out last night was a big match selection error .... JKH looked good a few years ago but hasnt done anything more than that .... Kent last night would have been much more value.

Yes,z we need to be creative. Having lost for the time being the beast that is Max aNd the best ruck in the competition, and his loyal deputy having gone down, it is time for a rethink. The advantage of Frost is he has the height, not the weight, but he certainly has the speed. This could well be a major plus. The question is does he have the endurance. Somehow I have my doubts, but we need to make sure we don't burn out JW in the meantime.

• Like 1

On 2017-4-25 at 6:32 PM, Gorgoroth said:

Milkshake won't be dropped the week he is playing his old side.

Melksham wont be dropped this week because he is best mates with the coach.

And before anyone asks, yes I really do believe it is clouding Goodwins judgement.

I don't think they will drop JKH. He actually did some good things leading up through the middle of the ground in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. But it's more that I think the coaching department were really happy with his preseason and will try to give him another game to prove himself. A dry game on a quicker field. Bringing him in and out gives him no chance.

For mine realistically

Out: Spencer, T Smith, Hogan

In: Pederson, Bugg and Lewis

I think they might bring Weiderman in too as the other tall down fwd with Pederson playing mostly ruck

Edited by mongrel
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DubDee said:

IN:  Pedo, Lewis, O Mac

OUT: Hogan, Spencer, Smith

Pedo 60% / Frost 40% ruck. Omac in to cover Frost while rucking

Yeah your option or mine above.

Either O mac in to cover for Frost's time in ruck 

or Weiderman in to cover for Watt's time in ruck.

43 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Melksham wont be dropped this week because he is best mates with the coach.

And before anyone asks, yes I really do believe it is clouding Goodwins judgement.

So equal highest number of I50's has nothing to do with it then?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Look the guy is average but there is no one better to replace him in fact he is better than the possible replacements.

Add in he has shown he can do better than he has so far shown at the MFC so who knows he might put in a really good one soon.

3 minutes ago, bing181 said:

You raise an interesting item. Cos i love stats :unsure: Im not arguing against that observation but there needs to be a qualifier to i50's 

Jones would be up there. The proprietary of that number ....as anyone's though is the result.

Personally i think you can have both instances here. A player with highish i50 count and also be a fav.

It can happen.

In: Pedersen, Weideman or Oscar Mac, Lewis.

Ideally, should be like for like, and with 3 talls out, Lewis as a definite in, at least 2 of the other forced changes would have to be talls. 

3 changes is already a lot for a team that did a lot right last weekend, don't believe there'll be any unforced ones.

2 minutes ago, bing181 said:

In: Pedersen, Weideman or Oscar Mac, Lewis.

Ideally, should be like for like, and with 3 talls out, Lewis as a definite in, at least 2 of the other forced changes would have to be talls. 

3 changes is already a lot for a team that did a lot right last weekend, don't believe there'll be any unforced ones.

You are confident Petracca will play?

Just now, bing181 said:

If Melksham's in the team, it's because the coaches believe he can bring more to his role than anyone else currently available.

In other words bing there is no one else better

9 minutes ago, old dee said:

You are confident Petracca will play?

I was going on what we know definitely re unforced outs. Apart from that, I'm not confident anyone will play. We never really know who's carrying injuries, or whose "slight knock" is something more.

Edited by bing181