Changes v Essendon (Round 6)

gregdemon

Just now, bing181 said:

I was going on what we know definitely re unforced outs. Apart from that, I'm not confident anyone will play. We never really know who's carrying injuries, or who's "slight knock" is something more.

Yes it does not pay to worry too much about injury reports.

Who runs out on game day is the only true indicator.

1 minute ago, old dee said:

In other words bing there is no one else better

That's true of every player in the team.

But careful with "better": can be a vague term for those of us not on the inside.

Which is why I didn't use it.

1 minute ago, bing181 said:

That's true of every player in the team.

But careful with "better": can be a vague term for those of us not on the inside.

Which is why I didn't use it.

Better to me in the final analysis means someone who gives the team the best chance of winning.

17 minutes ago, old dee said:

Look the guy [Milkshake]  is average but there is no one better to replace him in fact he is better than the possible replacements.

Add in he has shown he can do better than he has so far shown at the MFC so who knows he might put in a really good one soon.

There is a guy called Lewis due back this week, who also plays HBF (as much as anyone plays any position these days).

Just now, monoccular said:

There is a guy called Lewis due back this week, who also plays HBF (as much as anyone plays any position these days).

As you suggest there are all over the place but you can I believe be confident both will be out there.

It might be time to try Salem in the forward line?

21 minutes ago, old dee said:

Yes it does not pay to worry too much about injury reports.

Who runs out on game day is the only true indicator.

Sometimes :unsure:

Hmm, just imagine if we had a couple more talls on the list, instead of having a dozen NQR small / medium forwards, most of whom are stinking it up at Casey or on the injury list.

Oh well, I'm sure Weideman will kick 5 goals from his regular 5 touches, Lewis will pay us back for the three losses he has cost us, Pedersen will dominate after receiving so much support from the coach in recent weeks, and Melksham will finally show us why we was recruited.

Dees by 50.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, old dee said:

As you suggest there are all over the place but you can I believe be confident both will be out there.

It might be time to try Salem in the forward line?

Personally think Salem is best suited there and/or a little time playing an outside mid role pushing forward OD. Don't think he really has a defensive mindset (or the tank?) to close down space quickly enough/for long enough during a match when we don't have the ball.  Seems to be able to hit targets by foot pretty well which is severely lacking when we come inside 50.  Watts probably our best here as another option (assuming he is not spending 70% of time or more rucking).

Do we take a huge gamble on King OD? Feel free to call me crazy but if you could just hear me out for 1 minute after you (and others) finish laughing out loud ☺️

We give him 2 very simple roles.....

1:  In for the majority (but obviously not all) centre square bounces only, to compete in the air and try to break even wherever possible. No around the ground work at all! ; and

2:  He then bolts immediately to the goal square (give or take 10 meters or so) for the remainder apart from rest time on the bench of course (say about 7 to 10 min at end of each quarter) to offer a a tall target and try and bring the ball to ground a few times? Maybe even clunk a mark or two if lucky.

If we don't, we are going to be horribly short up forward now with Hogan's unfortunate forced absence. And...outside of Jeffy, we don't really have any other mosquitos that can hit the scoreboard often enough to worry the opposition if they play reasonably tall down back.

Edited by Rusty Nails

16 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Personally think Salem is best suited there and/or a little time playing an outside mid role pushing forward OD. Don't think he really has a defensive mindset (or the tank?) to close down space quickly enough/for long enough during a match when we don't have the ball.  Seems to be able to hit targets by foot pretty well which is severely lacking when we come inside 50.  Watts probably our best here as another option (assuming he is not spending 70% of time or more rucking).

Do we take a huge gamble on King OD? Feel free to call me crazy but if you could just hear me out for 1 minute after you (and others) finish laughing out loud ☺️

We give him 2 very simple roles.....

1:  In for the majority (but obviously not all) centre square bounces only, to compete in the air and try to break even wherever possible. No around the ground work at all! ; and

2:  He then bolts immediately to the goal square (give or take 10 meters or so) for the remainder apart from rest time on the bench of course (say about 7 to 10 min at end of each quarter) to offer a a tall target and try and bring the ball to ground a few times? Maybe even clunk a mark or two if lucky.

If we don't, we are going to be horribly short up forward now with Hogan's unfortunate forced absence. And...outside of Jeffy, we don't really have any other mosquitos that can hit the scoreboard often enough to worry the opposition if they play reasonably tall down back.

He has played very little King that is no not for me RN.

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

He has played very little King that is no not for me RN.

Yes I am clutching at straws OD.  I wonder what the selection committee are mulling over.  Tough week at the round table I would think.

4 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Yes I am clutching at straws OD.  I wonder what the selection committee are mulling over.  Tough week at the round table I would think.

Something I have never consider RN.

Is it Round that suggests a table of equals which I seriously doubt.

4 hours ago, monoccular said:

Probably the best balanced side available given the diabolical big man situation injuries have left us with.

Especially with Jesse out we desperately need Watts and / or Pedo up forward most of the game. 

And probably need Frost down back to try to handle the Anzac medalist (yuk)

Rather like the protected species #18

I thought more that he needs a kick in the butt. 

You realise you play different roles yeah? You also realise Hibberd who both you and I gave BOG to last week played off half back and laid no tackles?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

You realise you play different roles yeah? You also realise Hibberd who both you and I gave BOG to last week played off half back and laid no tackles?

It is hard to tackle when you have the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Shows how carefully stats need be applied.

JKH had plenty of tackles and didnt scare the scoreboard once ;) didnt even get close to his av 1/2 goal haul. Hibberd is renown as an intercept defender , in passing.

Dland agrees that Pedo is a lock. (at long bloody last)

Unfortunately Weids will get another crack with Hogan unavailable and both Smiths injured although the suggestion of Tmac up frwd isnt bad.

Seems to be little love for Kent which I feel is a little rough. His last game was his first for the year and he wasnt totally useless by any means.

Can Hibberd play forward?

JKH is a possible ommission for me. He just didnt display any hunger last week and if he plays on Sunday he needs to perform or he may not be around for much longer.

Edited by leave it to deever

6 hours ago, old dee said:

It is hard to tackle when you have the ball.

The man who had it most on the ground in Oliver managed to lay some tackles.

Selective bias, OD.

5 hours ago, Adzman said:

Essendon will bring back Bellchambers and try to stretch us for height.

With our outs we are in serious trouble!!

Dangerous going tall at Etihad, I reckon. We ran St Kilda off their feet, because they carried too many talls. Much prefer to go small, as long as we have someone (Frost) to play on Daniher.

1 hour ago, Stingray said:

Not sure if I've seen much talk of neal-bullen on here but if he's still having a kick this week then he's luckier than a pocket full of leprechauns. Not since Simon tregenza has there been a worse kick under pressure.

Theres that questionable Simon word again !