Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Simon Goodwin

dieter

59 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Changing the focus, are we?

I wasn't arguing his possessions, I was arguing your shallow point that Goody is solely to blame for Melksham's recruitment.  You're better than that, SWYL.

For me, Melksham will take time after spending 12 months out of footy.  He's done some good things, and he's also done some not good things.  He has plenty of time to settle and we're too quick to sign off on players when they don't automatically do what we want them to do.

I guess it will be interesting to see if he gets a game next week...

He wasn't on his own but on todays showing a bit of time at Casey might do him some good.

I don't have many issues with Goodwin, but one thing he said in his press conference was a little concerning "There have been two quarters this year, that haven't been what we're about"

I can see that he may be referring to applied attitude, but if he's talking about our game plan and ball movement, then you can't always have it your own way and have to adapt and shift the focus back onto the other club in trying to negate what they're doing, rather than waiting for a quarter break to drill the game-plan back into the players. Obviously the on-field leaders share some responsibility during the quarter for getting the team back to playing footy 'the way they're about', but we should also be switching to a far more defensive flood or another plan b at some point as others mentioned when the momentum was with Fremantle. But they're young and inexperienced so he has a point.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

We've got at least 4 out who would be certainties in 22, Gawn, Hogan, Lewis, Hibberd add Vandenburg and couple others. We have youngest list with least amount of games played. Crap third quarter cost us and we lost by 2 after being in front with 60 seconds to go. Absolutely gutted after match but there's a long way to go, Hogan back next week will straighten us up going  forward, then Lewis week after that. 

I thought Goodwin erred badly when we took the lead with two minutes left by not put a spare man in defense on the last line to prevent the easy run on goal that eventually occurred 

• Like 1

Jesus there are a few sooks in here tonight aye? Calm the hell down.

We lost, we should have won, picking Weid continually is silly and missing 3 of our best 5 players doesn't help either. The season isn't over, the sky is still blue and we have a game next week. Stop acting like a bunch of reactionary Richmond fans.

• Like 3

I assume we are meant to bag Goody after the loss today, but he's a young coach with a modern game style based on possession retention, switching and hard-nosed tackling and clearance work that has been a breath of fresh air for much of the year - the third term today excepted.

It is a very similar gameplan to the one that the Dogs used last year and the Crows use as well and relies on a high press, which has a high risk but high dividends.

I am all for it and I am sure it gives our players confidence as well and I think it will show benefits against the good sides this season - as it did against Geelong until we ran out of legs.

But all good young coaches are prone to arrogance and after a good start to the season, he let his own confidence get the better of him at the selection table.

His faith over seven games (three pre-season) in Weideman has been bordering on crazy and today it cost him a game and he may have done irreparably damage to the kid as well.

Beveridge arrogantly thought ruckman were basically a waste of time and learnt the hard way midway through his first season and eventually backtracked and picked ruckmen.

Goodwin obviously thinks Weid is special, yet he has forgotten that sometimes young players need to go back to the twos to regain confidence and direction. Persevering with him for seven weeks for a return of one very classy goal against St Kilda just shows an amazing brashness. Imagine if all players were afforded such a selection luxury.

But even young coaches feel embarrassed at times and even though he probably won't admit any guilt at the selection table, he is clearly smart enough to figure out what went wrong and why his forward line is not quite functioning as well as he'd like.

7 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Very good coach whos just 4 games into his coaching career guiding a very young team.

There are some fairly minor concerns with the side/club, but Goody isnt one of them.

One concern I have is how easy we are to score against. Averaging 96.0 points against so far in 2017

my views on the jack Viney captaincy decision are well known. 

I think there are some question marks emerging and granted they aren't huge but we saw with the pies when Malthouse had a strong foundation for what should have been a strong period for the club, Nathan Buckley came in through a similar path to Goodwin, made changes to make it "his team" and the side went backwards 

i don't think that will happen with us but I am not as sold as other posters on goody just yet 

10 hours ago, dieter said:

I see what you mean. However, sooner or later we have to deal with the real, as Iggy once sang. We're not there yet. That's what Goodwin was pointing out. Don't blame him. All those missed shots at goal are not his fault. All that inability to stay composed and defend is not his fault. Our boys are still learning how to do that.

Composure is a difficult one for inexperienced players under pressure so not much Goodwin could do there.

However, he does have to take responsibility for his team playing like stunned rabbits for the 3rd quarter.  Legitimate questions:

• Does he have a plan B for when the opp get a run? 
  • Do his leaders know what this plan B is? 
  • Do they train plan B?
  • Why can the leaders not detect the momentum switch in the 3rd?
  • Why is it that they find the 'switch' at quarter breaks but not during a quarter?  It happens every week! 
  • Why do his 'runners' not get out there and switch the leaders/players back on in the 3rd?
  • Where were the 'runners' in the last few minutes?

Lots of unanswered questions which sit at the coaches door. 

His job is to have the team ready to play mentally and know what the A, B, and C game plans are; who know when and how to implement them.  His job is to pull the strings from the box to ensure they happen during a game.

The coach needs to answer for lack of response to momentum swings - even if we don't win the game, some plan and visible response are necessary as going missing for a quarter happens every week. 

Goodwin will be a good coach but does he have the game day smarts?  Time will tell...

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

I recall the days when posters were saying Neeld was a good coach. His tough style was a refreshing change . He was going to change the club culture. Yeah right. Not sure yet where Goodwin fits in. The players seem to play with enthusiasm but the same old rule of thumb seems to apply. If the opposition come to play we revert to headless chook syndrome.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Abe said:

One concern I have is how easy we are to score against. Averaging 96.0 points against so far in 2017

I think there was always going to be a bit of a teething period with our defence. I don't expect us to get it right until at least 2018, but I expect us to make tweaks along the way this season that enable our defence to hold up enough to get us into the finals. We're backing our attack to kick more than our defence concedes. It's the same ethos my other football club Liverpool has used unsuccessfully for the past 4-5 years. But if it gets us into the top 8 this year and we make further tweaks and adjustments over the summer to strengthen our defence again going into 2018, I think this is the right direction.

I think there are some question marks emerging and granted they aren't huge but we saw with the pies when Malthouse had a strong foundation for what should have been a strong period for the club, Nathan Buckley came in through a similar path to Goodwin, made changes to make it "his team" and the side went backwards 

i don't think that will happen with us but I am not as sold as other posters on goody just yet 

I find your comments really interesting, mate. Mostly because I know you were a massive Goody fan prior to this year. Very intriguing. I gather you're just calling it how you see it, but I personally don't see any parallels between the Buckley transition and the Goodwin one.

Buckley's wasn't a smooth transition for starters. Buckley's magpies weren't playing elements of his game style for a year before he even sat in the top seat.

As a result, our players seem to really respond to a Goodwin lesson at the breaks. They responded at quarter time against St Kilda, three quarter time against Carlton, quarter time against Geelong and finally quarter time and three quarter time against Fremantle. The turnarounds after these breaks have been noticeable. This gives me great hope for Goodwin.

He seemingly has a knack for not panicking and calmly outlining what the players need to do to turn things around. I haven't seen any shouting or pointing at players. He appears measured and players seem to really respond to him.

Edited by A F

5 hours ago, Abe said:

I especially worry about how that scoring comes in uncontrolled bursts and without a single goal against the flow.

* 7 goals in a quarter by Fremantle.

* 5 Goals in barely 10 minutes of play by Geelong.

* 5 goals in a row for Carlton, from mid 2nd to mid 3rd quarter.

* 5 goals in a row for St Kilda, midway through the first until early in second.

So that's a third of the goals scored against us over four games, coming in unanswered runs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I especially worry about how that scoring comes in uncontrolled bursts and without a single goal against the flow.

* 5 goals in a row for St Kilda, midway through the first until early in second.

So that's a third of the goals scored against us over four games, coming in unanswered runs.

Very concerning indeed. 

Leadership in the guts

2-3 goal bursts are almost expected in the modern game. Anything above that and there is a problem, that opposition clubs will find. 

Edited by Sir Why You Little

12 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Very concerning indeed. 

Leadership in the guts

If that poster who said Jones just walked back to the middle with his head bowed, not speaking to his teammates after that run of Dockers goals is correct, that is a real problem.

If our players are dumb and can't follow what should have been hammered into them over summer, then it is compounded by poor leadership in not reminding them or encouraging them, that is a problem.

Even though he was stupid for the report, Lewis was badly missed yesterday for his leadership and knowledge of what to do on the field.

While I am at it, Hogan too, as he would have straightened us up and not had us chip around sideways until we turned it over, because of a fear to go to Weid.

The instinctive quick football, played when our forward structure is ok,  is what will win us games. Coupled of course with grunt in the middle and smart defensive set ups.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

This is more concerning though.

And as LH suggests, there's not a lot of in-quarter tweaks, at least defensively. We certainly change our offensive set ups off half back and at the stoppages, but we don't seem to have many defensive set ups that we go to. I hope he develops some of these, because all out attack will never work. Even Clarkson has a defensive go to plan.

• Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

If that poster who said Jones just walked back to the middle with his head bowed, not speaking to his teammates after that run of Dockers goals is correct, that is a real problem.

If our players are dumb and can't follow what should have been hammered into them over summer, then it is compounded by poor leadership reminding them or encouraging them, that is a problem.

Even though he was stupid for the report, Lewis was badly missed yesterday for his leadership and knowledge of what to do on the field.

While I am at it, Hogan too, as he would have straightened us up and not had us chip around sideways until we turned it over, because of a fear to go to Weid.

The instinctive quick football, played when our forward structure is ok,  is what will win us games. Coupled of course with grunt in the middle and smart defensive set ups.

Jones for all his good qualities Does not know how to win. He has never been given the chance to learn it. 

This is why some heat must be put on Goodwin. I am not calling for his head, but he must be accountable NOW. His honeymoon was with Roosy

there are ways to stop run ons or at least slow them right down. 30 minutes is not acceptable. 

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Jones for all his good qualities Does not know how to win. He has never been given the chance to learn it. 

This is why some heat must be put on Goodwin. I am not calling for his head, but he must be accountable NOW. His honeymoon was with Roosy

there are ways to stop run ons or at least slow them right down. 30 minutes is not acceptable. 

Jesus SWYL       You know this game of footy is not as easy as you seem to think it is.....Just snap your fingers and stop the run ons.   NOW.   So so easy

Goodwin has coached 4   yes 4    games as head coach and you reckon the heat MUST be put on him.     You weren't saying that during the pre season comp or the first two games.

You make asumptions that you know more than the footy club, coaches and players and demand results NOW.

Calm down mate.

1 minute ago, Bossdog said:

Jesus SWYL       You know this game of footy is not as easy as you seem to think it is.....Just snap your fingers and stop the run ons.   NOW.   So so easy

Goodwin has coached 4   yes 4    games as head coach and you reckon the heat MUST be put on him.     You weren't saying that during the pre season comp or the first two games.

You make asumptions that you know more than the footy club, coaches and players and demand results NOW.

Calm down mate.

30 minutes of what amounts to lying down cannot be accepted Boss. You know that. It is the attitude at Half Time that would have started it. Just that edge. 

As i said in another thread. 2-3 goals runs are part of modern footy. 4-5 and anything above is a problem that rival clubs can smell and target. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

30 minutes of what amounts to lying down cannot be accepted Boss. You know that. It is the attitude at Half Time that would have started it. Just that edge. 

As i said in another thread. 2-3 goals runs are part of modern footy. 4-5 and anything above is a problem that rival clubs can smell and target. 

It's the way footy is played these days Sir       Zone defence    No taggers(or not many)    Have you noticed how high the scores are compared to a couple of years ago when defence was the be all and end all of coaches     And how boring the footy was.     I love the attacking style of more scores  we still kicked 15 goals yesterday in a losing side      Much better than to lose after kicking 6 goals in a losing side.

P.S.    I agree that the 3rd 1/4 was terrible

Edited by Bossdog

2 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

It's the way footy is played these days Sir       Zone defence    No taggers(or not many)    Have you noticed how high the scores are compared to a couple of years ago when defence was the be all and end all of coaches     And how boring the footy was.     I love the attacking style of more scores  we still kicked 15 goals yesterday in a losing side      Much better than to lose after kicking 6 goals in a losing side.

P.S.    I agree that the 3rd 1/4 was terrible

Sure. That's exactly why an unanswered 2-3 goal run is quite normal in todays game. 

7-8 in 30 minutes is not. Goodwin deserves some heat otherwise opposition teams will take us down regularly

• Like 1