Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

Where there's smoke there's...



Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, hardtack said:

It's extremely unfair of you to apply your circumstances and how you dealt with it, as everybody handles these things differently.  There is no benchmark for dealing with tragedy.

Not to mention dense and completely lacking logic or empathy.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just remembered I was there. I got pretty close to Jesse, he was smoking menthols. 

Relax. It might have just been cannabis. 

Posted Images

I just hate seeing the Melbourne Football Club in the media for the wrong reasons!.  That's all I want to say on the matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Don't like seeing this but it's not the end of the world. As long as he comes back in good form ready to repay the club then it's a minor indiscretion. He's obviously going through a tough period with his fathers illness and having a cigarette isn't the end of the world. If it becomes habit then that's obviously a different matter. You'd think in this day and age though players would be smarter. They are educated better than ever and given more assistance too. 

Hopefully he comes back and has a ripping season as repayment. The 2 weeks off give him time to get over any niggles he may have had so there are no excuses not to perform to a higher standard this year. I expect him to break the 50 goal mark this year and will be disappointed if he doesn't. 

It's only that if he's under strict instructions from the club not to smoke. Otherwise it's a bad habit rather than a minor indiscretion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a good look, but I run a bar in Sydney and we have Swans and Giants players in getting smashed and smoking out the front regularly. Have to say it doesn't seem to affect their performances very often

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MrReims said:

It's not a good look, but I run a bar in Sydney and we have Swans and Giants players in getting smashed and smoking out the front regularly. Have to say it doesn't seem to affect their performances very often

Care to name names? I cannot believe in this day and age of accurate knowledge on the effects of smoking on the body that professional footballers much less any sportsman would smoke. Putting on my old Phys Ed Teachers hat,

Smoking is well-documented as a serious hazard to your health. It is also a serious hindrance to athletic performance, as it inhibits oxygen supply to your brain, heart and muscles. In addition, smoking decreases your body's capacity to heal, weakens your skeleton and raises your blood pressure. Athletes who smoke have less endurance, are weaker and suffer more injuries than their nonsmoking competitors.

Pulmonary Effects

Smoking has a pronounced effect on available oxygen in the body. The nicotine in cigarette smoke causes constriction of the bronchioles, which decreases the amount of oxygen that can enter the lungs. At the same time, nicotine constricts the blood vessels, decreasing the amount of blood flowing to the lungs. In addition, the smoke itself irritates the lungs, causing further bronchoconstriction. Carbon monoxide from smoke binds to hemoglobin, which would normally bind to oxygen, further decreasing the amount of oxygen the bloodstream.

Cardiovascular Effects

Smoking also limits cardiovascular performance. The heart depends on oxygen to function and, when oxygen levels are reduced, the heart is compromised. Nicotine's constriction of the blood vessels raises blood pressure and adds to the workload of the heart. Thus, athletes who smoke become fatigued faster than those who do not.

Musculoskeletal Effects

Smoking negatively affects the muscles and bones as well. During athletic activities, muscles need a constant supply of oxygen to perform. Smoking decreases the amount of blood flowing to the muscles. In addition, smoking lowers the amount of oxygen in the blood, further decreasing the muscles' ability to generate additional energy for movement.

Smoking increases a person's risk for osteoporosis. This effect is amplified in female athletes who already have a predisposition for osteoporosis. As the skeleton becomes more fragile, athletic activities become more dangerous due to risk of bone fracture.

Effects on Healing

Smoking causes the release of enzymes that break down collagen, a protein in skin and connective tissue. In addition, smoking slows the synthesis of collagen, which is necessary for healing. When tendons, ligaments or bones are injured, collagen fibers are integral to the healing process. Athletes who smoke will heal more slowly than nonsmoking athletes.

Long-term Effects

Smoking has immediate effects on athletic performance, but there are also long-term effects. Smoking causes lung cancer, emphysema, chronic bronchitis and asthma. These severe respiratory conditions can permanently end your athletic activities.

I would imagine the club would have explained these fact to players and given the professionalism expected If I were Goody I would not be at all impressed. But I have been known to be wrong!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Care to name names? I cannot believe in this day and age of accurate knowledge on the effects of smoking on the body that professional footballers much less any sportsman would smoke. Putting on my old Phys Ed Teachers hat,

Smoking is well-documented as a serious hazard to your health. It is also a serious hindrance to athletic performance, as it inhibits oxygen supply to your brain, heart and muscles. In addition, smoking decreases your body's capacity to heal, weakens your skeleton and raises your blood pressure. Athletes who smoke have less endurance, are weaker and suffer more injuries than their nonsmoking competitors.

Pulmonary Effects

Smoking has a pronounced effect on available oxygen in the body. The nicotine in cigarette smoke causes constriction of the bronchioles, which decreases the amount of oxygen that can enter the lungs. At the same time, nicotine constricts the blood vessels, decreasing the amount of blood flowing to the lungs. In addition, the smoke itself irritates the lungs, causing further bronchoconstriction. Carbon monoxide from smoke binds to hemoglobin, which would normally bind to oxygen, further decreasing the amount of oxygen the bloodstream.

Cardiovascular Effects

Smoking also limits cardiovascular performance. The heart depends on oxygen to function and, when oxygen levels are reduced, the heart is compromised. Nicotine's constriction of the blood vessels raises blood pressure and adds to the workload of the heart. Thus, athletes who smoke become fatigued faster than those who do not.

Musculoskeletal Effects

Smoking negatively affects the muscles and bones as well. During athletic activities, muscles need a constant supply of oxygen to perform. Smoking decreases the amount of blood flowing to the muscles. In addition, smoking lowers the amount of oxygen in the blood, further decreasing the muscles' ability to generate additional energy for movement.

Smoking increases a person's risk for osteoporosis. This effect is amplified in female athletes who already have a predisposition for osteoporosis. As the skeleton becomes more fragile, athletic activities become more dangerous due to risk of bone fracture.

Effects on Healing

Smoking causes the release of enzymes that break down collagen, a protein in skin and connective tissue. In addition, smoking slows the synthesis of collagen, which is necessary for healing. When tendons, ligaments or bones are injured, collagen fibers are integral to the healing process. Athletes who smoke will heal more slowly than nonsmoking athletes.

Long-term Effects

Smoking has immediate effects on athletic performance, but there are also long-term effects. Smoking causes lung cancer, emphysema, chronic bronchitis and asthma. These severe respiratory conditions can permanently end your athletic activities.

I would imagine the club would have explained these fact to players and given the professionalism expected If I were Goody I would not be at all impressed. But I have been known to be wrong!

Not just an AFL footballers vice. Billions of dollars worth of talent here ruined by the darts.

http://footballburp.com/lists/24-pictures-of-top-footballers-smoking/

Edited by america de cali
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Care to name names? I cannot believe in this day and age of accurate knowledge on the effects of smoking on the body that professional footballers much less any sportsman would smoke. Putting on my old Phys Ed Teachers hat,

...

I would imagine the club would have explained these fact to players and given the professionalism expected If I were Goody I would not be at all impressed. But I have been known to be wrong!

Well said. However, we should hardly be surprised that some sports people smoke. Apparently some also take drugs and drink too much alcohol, too.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a  bunch of prima donners we are,who bloody cares if he has a smoke he would still be fitter than most of us and thats being generous.

Also what kind of people get a thrill out of taking photos of an AFL player having a dart.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Luther said:

Just because a festival is sold out, doesn't mean it's difficult to get tickets at the last second. Jesse probably had a mate who had a spare one, or picked one up off FB. To infer that he'd planned to go to this festival on a day when he should have been playing against Geelong in Melbourne, before the fact, is ridiculous.

People honestly need their heads read. Yep, a young guy on a few hundred grand a year, a young footy player no less, is gonna have trouble getting a ticket to a music festival. 

If people seriously believe he bought a ticket in advance and suspended himself on purpose then you need to go see a shrink

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's about time someone thought of the poor old Funeral Director and the industries that are supported by them. With every near-do-well and wowzer  on health kicks and cleanses these days, the funeral industry suffers and the effects are real and flow through the industry like a ripple effect. I say congratulations to Jesse and his support to the struggling funeral industry. Good work young man.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Strapping Young Lad said:

It's about time someone thought of the poor old Funeral Director and the industries that are supported by them. With every near-do-well and wowzer  on health kicks and cleanses these days, the funeral industry suffers and the effects are real and flow through the industry like a ripple effect. I say congratulations to Jesse and his support to the struggling funeral industry. Good work young man.

and blessed are the ashtray makers

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

To borrow the classic mum and dad line, "I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed." 

Getting himself suspended for a really stupid act is the first part of this, the second is the club has allowed him to return home for a stint to be with friends and family, this was a good move from the club as it's a good opportunity for him to combat any homesickness he might have. But I feel his actions, while not by any means hangable, are a poor reflection on his attitude to being suspended. 

Its a punishment for himself and it has proven to be a punishment for the team as there is no doubt he was sourly missed on Saturday. I don't expect him to sit around the house knitting with his mum, or go to church and pray for forgiveness, but this simply isn't a good look for a guy that we just can't seem to keeep out of media speculation. 

Externally there doesn't need to be any punishment played out in the media, but internally he should be given a stiff kick up the bum. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

sometimes where there's smoke

.....

There's just......smoke

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack Historians of the future will have little difficulty in finding words to define the year 2020. “Covid-19”, “pandemic” and “plague” come readily to mind. The Covid-19 pandemic dominated the year in every aspect of life and it certainly didn’t spare AFL football or the Melbourne Football Club. In the circumstances however, it didn’t treat it as badly as the Spanish Flu epidemic which raged a century earlier from February 1918, through 1919 and into 19

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TASMANIAN TIGER by Whispering Jack

    I first saw Ben Brown on a cold Tuesday night in May, 2013 playing for the Werribee Tigers against Queanbeyan in a televised Foxtel Cup game before a sparse crowd at Etihad Stadium. His teammate and former Demon Jordan Gysberts was the star of the side’s 85-point belting of the hapless ACT club but the then 20 year old, 200cm Brown was also a stand out.  Earlier that year, the athletic big man had left his native Tasmania in an effort to make the grade after being overlooked in three drafts

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: The Cure It could be coincidental but since the AFL Free Agency and Trade Period began, the State of Victoria has recorded eight consecutive days of no new active cases and no deaths from Covid19. It might be a little early to announce that a cure for this dreaded virus has been discovered but one thing can be said with some certainty after following the ins and outs of the free agency and trading process — mankind is still a long way off finding a cure for boredom. That stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    CHANGES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: A very strange year Things might have been somewhat hairy when the 1919 football season opened up in the wake of the ending of a world war and in the middle of a pandemic that took millions of lives but it’s difficult to imagine a more unusual football season than the one that ended a week or so ago. For starters, the footy is supposed to finish on that one day in September on the MCG in mild spring weather; not deep into October at the Gabba amid warnings of tropical storms and h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    DEMONLAND 2020 A TO Z by George on the Outer

    A- Alice Springs. Happy hunting ground.     B- Backline. Finally found the non-leaking version.   C- Cairns & Covid. How a season was ruined.    D- Demonland. Mental Health facility run by the inmates.   E- The grade you get when you don’t make F- F- Finals. What are they? G- Goals. Lack of them. Need a forward who can kick them….lots! H- Hub. Where players got to live with people you can’t stand. I- Injuries. Miracle cure provided by Dr. Burgess.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...