Jump to content

stevethemanjordan

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JAKE LEVER

Recommended Posts

We wanted him

We got him

He is a good established player

But

He better finish at least top 5 B and F

We better make the finals.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super article here on the trade if you can get past the paywall:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/melbourne-secures-star-defender-jake-lever-in-trade-with-adelaide/news-story/478b76c2d2f380b5c10dc191f2b54af5

Basically says we've done very well, while also discussing some areas of the trade that some would be concerned about as well.

The line at the end sums it up for me - the time for early picks for us is over, and we need to add to our list to make a tilt at a flag.  Jake Lever pushes us in the right direction in this regard in a big way.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dee tention said:

We really needed to keep our 2018 First Pick. We made a blew there...

I thought it was quite achievable to get them two first rounders rhis year. Namely 15 & 16 from the Tiggers.

Anyway, its all done now.

VERY HAPPY TO HAVE SNAKE ON BOARD.

 

Agree Tigers 15,17 to Dees for pick 10 & 27 & 2nd round 2018

then 15&17 to Crows 

maybe Tigers too exhausted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all the Goodwin critics, surely it's an endorsement of him, when the best out of contract player available in this trade period has chosen the MFC.

Whilst money may or may not have been a factor, his future coach would definitely have been a major factor in his decision.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Macca said:

So let's get this straight ...

You're unsure whether he'll play 10 years for us whilst I reckon he almost certainly will. 

Our discussion is therefore over.

Your actually agreeing with me now 'l reckon ... almost ... ' will. Thats what l said 2 posts ago its not guaranteed but it may be likely. End of convo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Demons1858 said:

Your actually agreeing with me now 'l reckon ... almost ... ' will. Thats what l said 2 posts ago its not guaranteed but it may be likely. End of convo

'Almost certainly' is what I wrote not 'almost'

If his form continues on the trajectory that he's displayed so far,  we're on an absolute winner.

For what it's worth,  I wouldn't trade Oliver for 3 top 10 picks.  And it's line-ball whether 4 top 10 picks would be enough for a player of Oliver's quality.  As many others here have said, draft picks are massively overrated.  And the facts and results of drafting bear out those views.

Adelaide pushed for fair compensation because they know how good Lever can be - Lever's exposed form is at senior AFL level,  not junior football. 

But as previously stated,  I still believe we won out on the deal.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Well... Tom Boyd was $1m a year Buddy was a big 10y deal. Thats for a start. Wait till Tom Lynch says hes leaving GC then you'll see how desperate clubs are to secure a key fwd...

Yeah but Boyd still only cost the Dogs an aging Ryan Griffin. I just think two first rounders is too high for a defender. I'd expect that kind of price tag on a Hogan, Patton or Daniher 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We paid too high a price.

Which Vic club was going to offer anything like the farm?

 

 

Adelaide are laughing.  We could have screwed them and played chicken to the end.

 

 

 

Goodwin and Co are desperate for finals in 2017.  Great, but takes from the next decade.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mo64 said:

To all the Goodwin critics, surely it's an endorsement of him, when the best out of contract player available in this trade period has chosen the MFC.

Whilst money may or may not have been a factor, his future coach would definitely have been a major factor in his decision.

 

I guess that is me?

 

I was about to give my obligatory 'Teenage Lottery Draft of the AFL' line so I say 'well done, Josh!'

It will only blow up in our faces if we finish in the bottom 4...

As for Goodwin; he has done well to convince Lever to come to a team that has done nothing. Kudos also to Viney, Mahoney, et al.

'Goody' now has an excellent collection of talent at his disposal in my opinion for 2018 and beyond. We have star defenders in Hibberd, Jetta, and Lever. Star mids in Oliver and Petracca, with excellent help from Viney and Jones. And a forward line with Hogan, McDonald and Garlett can create enough chances to kick enough goals.

We are in 'hashtag noexcuses' territory.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TGR said:

We paid too high a price.

Which Vic club was going to offer anything like the farm?

 

 

Adelaide are laughing.  We could have screwed them and played chicken to the end.

 

 

 

Goodwin and Co are desperate for finals in 2017.  Great, but takes from the next decade.

Some people are never happy.

We paid a fair price for a supposed top tier talent, and left ourselves with good relations, which may very well benefit us at a later date.

The picks are gone now, but we have Jake Lever at our club. Just set your alarm so you only turn your TV on at the second round of the draft. Maybe you could while away the time watching Levers highlights package. Actually, have a look at the player ratings from the Grand Final, taken from the AFL site.

Then try to crack a smile

 

GRAND FINAL RATINGS.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I guess that is me?

 

I was about to give my obligatory 'Teenage Lottery Draft of the AFL' line so I say 'well done, Josh!'

It will only blow up in our faces if we finish in the bottom 4...

As for Goodwin; he has done well to convince Lever to come to a team that has done nothing. Kudos also to Viney, Mahoney, et al.

'Goody' now has an excellent collection of talent at his disposal in my opinion for 2018 and beyond. We have star defenders in Hibberd, Jetta, and Lever. Star mids in Oliver and Petracca, with excellent help from Viney and Jones. And a forward line with Hogan, McDonald and Garlett can create enough chances to kick enough goals.

We are in 'hashtag noexcuses' territory.

And the sky might fall too.  Confusing post.  We have a great list , and strong backlines win flags,  but "...if we finish bottom 4..."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Macca said:

'Almost certainly' is what I wrote not 'almost'

If his form continues on the trajectory that he's displayed so far,  we're on an absolute winner.

For what it's worth,  I wouldn't trade Oliver for 3 top 10 picks.  And it's line-ball whether 4 top 10 picks would be enough for a player of Oliver's quality.  As many others here have said, draft picks are massively overrated.  And the facts and results of drafting bear out those views.

Adelaide pushed for fair compensation because they know how good Lever can be - Lever's exposed form is at senior AFL level,  not junior football. 

But as previously stated,  I still believe we won out on the deal.

Stats on here have been badly skewed and sampled  On average a gun or likely young gun is recruited with every two top picks. Lets hope Lever is a gun otherwise we lose. No player is worth 3/4 top picks including oliver. You can't be serious. If Lever wasn't out of contract then l would understand why we oaid overs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Gipsy Danger said:

Yeah but Boyd still only cost the Dogs an aging Ryan Griffin. I just think two first rounders is too high for a defender. I'd expect that kind of price tag on a Hogan, Patton or Daniher 

Griffen AND pick 6.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Demon17 said:

And the sky might fall too.  Confusing post.  We have a great list , and strong backlines win flags,  but "...if we finish bottom 4..."

 

I didn't mean to confuse you - if we finish in the bottom 4, the draft pick we gave up will be worth much more than what we are currently projecting.

If I thought we were going to finish in the bottom 4, I would not have intimated there are no excuses for not competing for the flag next year.

Therefore, that trade being 'measured' is dependent on how we go next year because top draft picks are more valuable than draft picks that are further down the draft order.

Does that follow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TGR said:

We paid too high a price.

Which Vic club was going to offer anything like the farm?

 

 

Adelaide are laughing.  We could have screwed them and played chicken to the end.

 

 

 

Goodwin and Co are desperate for finals in 2017.  Great, but takes from the next decade.

And if we didn’t get Lever and we don’t make finals next season you’d be complaining as well. Pick 10 and next years first round pick (might be pick 18) is not ‘the farm’. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I guess that is me?

 

I was about to give my obligatory 'Teenage Lottery Draft of the AFL' line so I say 'well done, Josh!'

It will only blow up in our faces if we finish in the bottom 4...

As for Goodwin; he has done well to convince Lever to come to a team that has done nothing. Kudos also to Viney, Mahoney, et al.

'Goody' now has an excellent collection of talent at his disposal in my opinion for 2018 and beyond. We have star defenders in Hibberd, Jetta, and Lever. Star mids in Oliver and Petracca, with excellent help from Viney and Jones. And a forward line with Hogan, McDonald and Garlett can create enough chances to kick enough goals.

We are in 'hashtag noexcuses' territory.

And yet you annointed Roos the Greatest Caretaker Coach ever.

2016 we had a full list under Roos and won 10 games. 2017 we were hit hard by injuries to key players and won 12 games. 

Even if we played finals, you would have given the credit to Roos.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pick 35 sh1ts me. With compo it will go to 37 or 38. Just speculative crap.

For us to cough up two first rounders we had to make the Crows find us something in the Top 25.

The soft Roos trading mantra of "win/win" and good blokeing yourself lives on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ethan Tremblay said:

And if we didn’t get Lever and we don’t make finals next season you’d be complaining as well. Pick 10 and next years first round pick (might be pick 18) is not ‘the farm’. 

I'm on your side Eth, but I do ask myself how I would feel if our wheels fell off next year, and it turns out to be pick 8

It would be very Melbourne for that to happen.

I think it is an indication that our coaching group thinks we are about to hit the big time. That alone is worth at least some excitement.

Jared Rivers was made for todays zoning game. I think we just traded for a modern upgrade with solid kicking skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I didn't mean to confuse you - if we finish in the bottom 4, the draft pick we gave up will be worth much more than what we are currently projecting.

If I thought we were going to finish in the bottom 4, I would not have intimated there are no excuses for not competing for the flag next year.

Therefore, that trade being 'measured' is dependent on how we go next year because top draft picks are more valuable than draft picks that are further down the draft order.

Does that follow?

yes it does.  and I agree, but the issue for me is the " what if..." 

The club clearly have a strong view on list quality which I agree with. No finals next year will be a bigger disaster than 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was top $. Clubs need to deal with players with respect. Adelaide showed no respect to Lever. That will be a turn off for players they want to recruit. Will they do that to me? They have promised me the world - will they get the deal done? Ask Gibbs. 

At least we took the pressure off Lever by dealing early. We showed the AFL world that we walk the talk. Better to get a reputation amongst players as a club who respects and deals fairly.

The Crows need to be careful they do not lose their ability to acquire good players.

I also think we treated Jack Watts with respect.

Sometimes it pays to generate goodwill so I am ok with the price we paid.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TGR said:

We paid too high a price.

Which Vic club was going to offer anything like the farm?

 

 

Adelaide are laughing.  We could have screwed them and played chicken to the end.

 

 

 

Goodwin and Co are desperate for finals in 2017.  Great, but takes from the next decade.

No it doesn't, over reaction as usual. 2 picks doesn't take from 10 years. 

Win now, yes but we have seen the club has been able to cobble together trades to get back into first rounds/update picks let alone being able to pick quality later in the draft.

Again as others have said we've stock piled top end talent, now is the time to hit finals hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Demons1858 said:

Stats on here have been badly skewed and sampled  On average a gun or likely young gun is recruited with every two top picks. Lets hope Lever is a gun otherwise we lose. No player is worth 3/4 top picks including oliver. You can't be serious. If Lever wasn't out of contract then l would understand why we oaid overs

How many genuine A graders are in the top 10 picks on average?  Say, over a 10 year period.  Many would be surprised how few there actually are.  Maybe 20-25 out of a 100.  That's 1 in 5 or at best, 1 in 4 (top 10 picks)

That's just the reality of the actual results.  I created a thread about it a few years ago.  Within the OP I provide a link to all the ND's from 2000 through to 2009.  So there's the 10 year sample size. 

How many genuine A graders?  Forget B grade players or 150 game players ... only genuine A graders for the sake of the exercise.

Oliver is well on his way to becoming a genuine A grade player so that's why I wouldn't trade him easily ... let's all hope that Lever ends up the same. 

Here's that thread (again) ... Bad Luck or Bad Recruiting

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...