Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Oliver Sholem

Changes for next week v Geelong

Recommended Posts

I think Frost and Wagner played a half and not sure of the miles in Pedersons legs, so doubt any of this trio will come in yet. The standouts at Casey have been Bugg, Kent and Spencer with Bernie available. I like the idea of Spencer rucking and Max spending time up forward as he is still troubled by his back and has been unwell so my source tells me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throughout the preseason we were talking about our improved depth. Well this will be truly tested now Lewis and Hogan are gone for a while.

Vince comes straight in, not sure about who else. We don't have an immediate replacement for Hogan so we might need to go sma,lish with Petracca, Kent, Garlett, and also aim for midfielder goals.

The big risk is Dangerfield and Selwood reading it off Gawn - they are really good at getting into position A or running through the right spot at a ballup at full pace. Hunt on Dangerfield could be interesting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 confirmed outs. 2 likely ins in Vince and Kent.

Can Petracca and Hannan play as taller options so we can get away without adding Spencer or Pedda if he's not in good form? Might be the week worth finding out. I'd probably lean towards Spencer in and Gawn forward for a fair bit of the game if we did bring a tall in to replace Hogan.

I have doubts over Tyson, Brayshaw, ANB and Melksham but I'm not sure if Bugg coming in to play on a wing has done enough to replace any of them - with Harmes then moving back or forward if needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poita said:

Vince for Melksham is a no brainer for me. Jake may be more suited to playing up the ground, but there is no way he pushes out any of our current midfielders. His disposal is below poor, and I his lack of physicality concerns me.

If Lewis misses, Bugg can come in. If Hogan misses, Pedersen can come in.

Kent on stand by if Hannan is quiet again. Frost needs to come in shortly as well.

Where does this view of Melksham come from? Melksham was one of our few players who ran hard all day. While others were standing round lazily he was running across time and time again switching Thebes's ball across the ground for us. Offensively he was the best of our back 6 on the weekend. He barely missed a target. Jetta held it down defensively and Melksham held it down offensively. Lack of physicality? This is the same guy who's laid the most bumps in the team thus far this year you're talking about right? How does he lack physicality? I'm getting sick of reading this [censored] about him on here from people who obviously have a pre-conceived view of him and aren't watching him and judging him on his current output. I sound like a broken record but it's just getting ridiculous now IMO

Vince in for Lewis. Not sure who comes in for Hogan as it should be a tall. Is Pedo fit yet?

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brayshaw's not going anywhere. Not unless there's an injury issue. It'll take more than one quiet match, and having him run round in the middle at Casey getting a lazy 25+ possessions doesn't help anyone.

He's a mid being played out of position due to competition for spots, but equally, all part of his development.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Where does this view of Melksham come from? Melksham was one of our few players who ran hard all day. While others were standing round lazily he was running across time and time again switching Thebes's ball across the ground for us. Offensively he was the best of our back 6 on the weekend. He barely missed a target. Jetta held it down defensively and Melksham held it down offensively. Lack of physicality? This is the same guy who's laid the most bumps in the team thus far this year you're talking about right? How does he lack physicality? I'm getting sick of reading this [censored] about him on here from people who obviously have a pre-conceived view of him and aren't watching him and judging him on his current output. I sound like a broken record but it's just getting ridiculous now IMO

Vince in for Lewis. Not sure who comes in for Hogan as it should be a tall. Is Pedo fit yet?

0 contested possessions.

1 tackle. Corralls and hangs back off leads when he needs to go lay a tackle.

Loves a bump because bumps are easy. You control the contact. I haven't seen him stick a high pressure tackle or open his body up to spoil. He's bruise free.

Plenty of missed targets. 

Yeah his work rate to run to receive is decent but it's not like our backline are stationary. Most of them are pretty good runners these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

2 confirmed outs. 2 likely ins in Vince and Kent.

Can Petracca and Hannan play as taller options so we can get away without adding Spencer or Pedda if he's not in good form? Might be the week worth finding out. I'd probably lean towards Spencer in and Gawn forward for a fair bit of the game if we did bring a tall in to replace Hogan.

I have doubts over Tyson, Brayshaw, ANB and Melksham but I'm not sure if Bugg coming in to play on a wing has done enough to replace any of them - with Harmes then moving back or forward if needed.

I think I would be going down this path as well.

Perhaps a different story if at the G but indoors I think we go smaller and quicker in our forward line.

Petracca and Hannan and even Harmes can have stints closer to goal. 

Vince and Kent for the two suspended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

2 confirmed outs. 2 likely ins in Vince and Kent.

I'd probably lean towards Spencer in and Gawn forward for a fair bit of the game if we did bring a tall in to replace Hogan.

Madness.

Goody aint mad.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ProDee said:

Madness.

Goody aint mad.

If Pedda is barely getting a kick at Casey then Spencer in ahead of him isn't all that mad. Cats rucks just got destroyed by Preuss and we'll need a legitimate marking target forward. I don't think Pedersen or Weed are going to trouble Lonergan and Henderson. A ruckman out of the square might. Pedersen is the easy option to come in and play a poor mans Hogan role, but if he isn't up to it I'd risk something different. Lightning might strike twice against the Cats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

Has Peders actually been playing for us at Casey? have heard nothing on him doing anything of note for months..?

 

Played last weekend. Was very ordinary. Would prefer they gave Frost, Smith or Keilty a shot on the form shown on Sunday  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need a marking target to replace Hogan.

Frost was named best at Casey but apparently had limited game time.

Pedersen not exactly carving it up.

Spence going well against Fitzy but no world beater.

Kent playing ok but does that leave us vulnerable in the air?

Much depends on the perception of Frosts match fitness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vince, Frost and Kent all to come in would add a touch of pace. Bugg another possibility.

I would try Watts at CHF, Frost at HFF and Kent up forward as well. 

Vince, an automatic replacement for Lewis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

If Pedda is barely getting a kick at Casey then Spencer in ahead of him isn't all that mad. Cats rucks just got destroyed by Preuss and we'll need a legitimate marking target forward. I don't think Pedersen or Weed are going to trouble Lonergan and Henderson. A ruckman out of the square might. Pedersen is the easy option to come in and play a poor mans Hogan role, but if he isn't up to it I'd risk something different. Lightning might strike twice against the Cats.

Play Petracca out of FF alongside Weideman.  Lower the eyes with a small leading forward-line and make sure Watts and Weideman contest any long balls for spills to Garlett, etc.  Watts has been asked by Goodwin to compete in the air, so put the heat on him to play his role and contest high balls.  If he does we'll have 2 x 196cm talls plus Hannan at 189cm, Petracca leading out of the square, Kent back in, Garlett and any other rotations.  A versatile and unpredictable forward-line.  

I'd much rather that setup than bringing in Spencer and I'm not fussed about bringing Pedersen in either.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ProDee said:

Play Petracca out of FF alongside Weideman.  Lower the eyes with a small leading forward-line and make sure Watts and Weideman contest any long balls for spills to Garlett, etc.  Watts has been asked by Goodwin to compete in the air, so put the heat on him to play his role and contest high balls.  If he does we'll have 2 x 196cm talls plus Hannan at 189cm, Petracca leading out of the square, Kent back in, Garlett and any other rotations.  A versatile and unpredictable forward-line.  

I'd much rather that setup than bringing in Spencer and I'm not fussed about bringing Pedersen in either.

The way you've worded this almost makes me want to banish Hogan to Casey for the rest of the year, PD.  

I like the idea of keeping things unpredictable as well, as it will keep Geelong on their toes and their backline hasn't necessarily been a strength so far this year.  I still think Pedersen gets a run to help keep their tall backs honest, plus it means Watts can spend the whole day forward while Pedersen gives Gawn a chop out in the ruck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Its obvious that Pedersen comes in. Plaus the ruck role alot better then Watts which then forces him to a forward role full time.

When he and Watts were in the side we continued to play Watts as the relief ruck last year?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

Brayshaw's not going anywhere. Not unless there's an injury issue. It'll take more than one quiet match, and having him run round in the middle at Casey getting a lazy 25+ possessions doesn't help anyone.

He's a mid being played out of position due to competition for spots, but equally, all part of his development.

Ignore his draft position or whether you think he will be good longer term. He struggled to get the ball yesterday playing mainly on a wing and when he did he slowed or turned over potential scoring opportunities. He was good round 1 not great.  Nothing wrong with heading back to Casey to work on his craft and confidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vince for Lewis and being we are at Etihad I would swap Hogan for Kent and go with a mid sized forward line built around Weideman, Watts and Trac and swarming smalls. Or is there a sneaky chance that they bring Bull Smith in to play Hogans' role.....wouldn't put it past Goody.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cats are well known to struggle to contain small forwards. I'd go 

weid, watts, Garlett, track, Kent and hannan and try and really expose that 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read the Casey review it's time to bring in the Bull. He's what we need to replace Hoges. He'll compete for everything in the air and chase his backside off.

In: Smith  Out: Hogan
In: Bugg  Out: Lewis
In: Vince  Out: Melksham
In: Kent   Out: ANB (or Brayshaw or Tyson)

FB: Jetta  Oscar  Hunt
HB: Salem Tom  Vince
C:  Stretch  Jones  Bugg
HF: Kent  Weeds   Petracca
FF: Garlett  Watts Smith
Foll:  Gawn  Oliver   Viney
Int: Harmes  Hannan  Brayshaw  Tyson

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Having read the Casey review it's time to bring in the Bull. He's what we need to replace Hoges. He'll compete for everything in the air and chase his backside off.

In: Smith  Out: Hogan
In: Bugg  Out: Lewis
In: Vince  Out: Melksham
In: Kent   Out: ANB (or Brayshaw or Tyson)

FB: Jetta  Oscar  Hunt
HB: Salem Tom  Vince
C:  Stretch  Jones  Bugg
HF: Kent  Weeds   Petracca
FF: Garlett  Watts Smith
Foll:  Gawn  Oliver   Viney
Int: Harmes  Hannan  Brayshaw  Tyson

You're not thick, DS, so you know that Tyson isn't getting dropped.  I have no idea why you would even bother to put it in there.

I was going to say that Smith is no chance, but then you backed Hannan in ages ago and looked what happened, so if you think Smith is a legit chance (and not just based on one game at Casey), then maybe he's more of a chance than I thought.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

You're not thick, DS, so you know that Tyson isn't getting dropped.  I have no idea why you would even bother to put it in there.

I was going to say that Smith is no chance, but then you backed Hannan in ages ago and looked what happened, so if you think Smith is a legit chance (and not just based on one game at Casey), then maybe he's more of a chance than I thought.

He should be, most of his disposals were wasted and we are a faster and more balanced team without him but of course he won't be. Put him on George Horlin-Smith and he might play well. Asking him to try and run down or run away from Selwood or Dangerfield is a disaster waiting to happen. 

My confidence in Smith and Hannan comes from them looking comfortable on the training track, doing well at Casey and them being good VFL forwards who play the way we want to play. Not convinced either of them will be anything great long term (although reasonably confident Hannan has a good shot) but when our other options are:
Spencer - only if needed
Pedda - slow, old, not playing well at Casey
Go in really small - very dangerous against Henderson, Lonergan etc who can control the air.

It's like when we didn't have any decent midfield options and we started the year with someone like Magner because you knew he was going to at least have a dip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vince comes in fo Lewis, that's the easy one and with Salem in good form we at least have a bit of coverage there. 

Hogan's the difficult one. If we bring in Kent then the players will have to move the ball quickly and lower the eyes, otherwise the Geelong defenders will rebound really easily. Otherwise we can bring in Spencer for the dual ruck experiment. Gawn looked a little battered at the end of the game last week so I wouldn't be totally against this. 

I think training this week will give us a window into Goodwin's thinking. If Spencer and Gawn have more time with the forward group, that could be the way we go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Weed and Watts have to play key forward all game, Gawn will have no one to relieve him in the ruck. So I guess that means either Spence or Pedo comes in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Vince, Frost and Kent all to come in would add a touch of pace. Bugg another possibility.

I would try Watts at CHF, Frost at HFF and Kent up forward as well. 

Vince, an automatic replacement for Lewis. 

Frost has always looked a lot better as a backman rather then the pinch hitter.... Without following the preseason and if was pinch hitting up forward

Could T Mac be a surprise CHF???

Also I'll say it again... he's probably underdone but Wagner is another who I rate

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Vince and Kent in with Petracca out of the square given the pace of the ground. 

Im just saying that so it gets over the line with Goodwin, who clearly steals all of his ideas from here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...