Training - Friday 17th March, 2017

Wrecker45

On 3/17/2017 at 0:24 PM, Wrecker45 said:

Garlett was moving freely so was Kent. One or both will play round 1.

Brilliant news. Thanks, Wrecker. Let's hope you're right.

On 3/17/2017 at 6:42 PM, DemonLad5 said:

Jetta - O.Mac - Smith

Hunt - T.Mac - Vince

Vince is the worry in that lot. 

I haven't been as impressive with Smith as some others have, but I'd be very intrigued to see how he goes on a Membrey. He feels like he'd be a good match up and if he can attack and repel as well, he'll keep Membrey honest. 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2017 at 2:53 PM, Moonshadow said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the AFL stipulated we could not replace H on our list in 2017.

Why would that be? What's the difference between a player being injured and not playing and being retired and not playing? In fact, could anyone say they knew for sure what Dane Swan's status was after he was injured last year? And what about Chris Judd? (Having posed the question I admit I have no idea whether either Collingwood or Carlton were allowed to promote a rookie in each case).

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Why would that be? What's the difference between a player being injured and not playing and being retired and not playing? In fact, could anyone say they knew for sure what Dane Swan's status was after he was injured last year? And what about Chris Judd? (Having posed the question I admit I have no idea whether either Collingwood or Carlton were allowed to promote a rookie in each case).

Lumumba was on our list after the last list lodgement date and was contracted for this year. Maybe the AFL saw his retirement as a negotiated settlement after irreconcilable differences and therefore not subject to a replacement on the list. Not sure exactly, but we were not permitted to replace him.

On 18/03/2017 at 8:18 PM, A F said:

Vince is the worry in that lot. 

I haven't been as impressive with Smith as some others have, but I'd be very intrigued to see how he goes on a Membrey. He feels like he'd be a good match up and if he can attack and repel as well, he'll keep Membrey honest. 

You're worried about Vince??? Why's that?

3 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Lumumba was on our list after the last list lodgement date and was contracted for this year. Maybe the AFL saw his retirement as a negotiated settlement after irreconcilable differences and therefore not subject to a replacement on the list. Not sure exactly, but we were not permitted to replace him.

it seems we are being punished for something by the afl. problem is i can't see what the something is. :huh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

You're worried about Vince??? Why's that?

Because he butchers the ball inside defensive 50, as well off half back. Mostly with dinky little flashy kicks that fail to reach targets or simply go down the opposition's throat. 

He needs to take better options if he's going to attack. We need cool heads back there otherwise the zone defence will never work. Think Gibson and Hodge in the days of the impenetrable Hawthorn zone defence. By comparison, we have the McDonald brothers (who one could never describe as 'cool headed'), Melksham (see the McDonald's) and potentially Frost (also see the McDonald's). We need cool heads and experience, so if Vince is going to be worthy of his spot back there, he cannot turn it over as regularly as he does.

He's not alone back there of course, but at least the McDonald's are defenders and can defend. Vince cannot.

19 minutes ago, A F said:

Because he butchers the ball inside defensive 50, as well off half back. Mostly with dinky little flashy kicks that fail to reach targets or simply go down the opposition's throat. 

He needs to take better options if he's going to attack. We need cool heads back there otherwise the zone defence will never work. Think Gibson and Hodge in the days of the impenetrable Hawthorn zone defence. By comparison, we have the McDonald brothers (who one could never describe as 'cool headed'), Melksham (see the McDonald's) and potentially Frost (also see the McDonald's). We need cool heads and experience, so if Vince is going to be worthy of his spot back there, he cannot turn it over as regularly as he does.

He's not alone back there of course, but at least the McDonald's are defenders and can defend. Vince cannot.

I was hoping Bernie settled at half back mid way through last year and then went a bit crazy after the shin injury. From preseason it seems that wasn't the case and his decision making and kicking seem to have to dropped off drastically - maybe just losing half a step has him always feeling under pressure and going for too much. Salem and Lewis are the 2 who should fill the calm head role. Left footers, smart footballer and they don't panic. Bernie should be our tagger and that should start with Riewoldt. Half back to prolong his career was a good idea but if it isn't working then he'll have to do a role elsewhere. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I was hoping Bernie settled at half back mid way through last year and then went a bit crazy after the shin injury. From preseason it seems that wasn't the case and his decision making and kicking seem to have to dropped off drastically - maybe just losing half a step has him always feeling under pressure and going for too much. Salem and Lewis are the 2 who should fill the calm head role. Left footers, smart footballer and they don't panic. Bernie should be our tagger and that should start with Riewoldt. Half back to prolong his career was a good idea but if it isn't working then he'll have to do a role elsewhere. 

Yeah, that tagging role could work against St Kilda, although Riewoldt would murder him in the air. We can't afford to carry a tagging midfielder and that's not the style we want to play, so unless we're tagging outside the centre square (ie. Riewoldt on the wing), I can't see that being a regular role.

So he either improves his decision making and kicking or he may struggle for a position. He's too slow to play half forward in our set up too.

I like Bernie, so I hope he can tidy things up, but I'm just about over his turn overs in incredibly dangerous areas.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, A F said:

Yeah, that tagging role could work against St Kilda, although Riewoldt would murder him in the air. We can't afford to carry a tagging midfielder and that's not the style we want to play, so unless we're tagging outside the centre square (ie. Riewoldt on the wing), I can't see that being a regular role.

So he either improves his decision making and kicking or he may struggle for a position. He's too slow to play half forward in our set up too.

I like Bernie, so I hope he can tidy things up, but I'm just about over his turn overs in incredibly dangerous areas.

I'd say tag Riewoldt from a wing this week, then float between wing and half back in subsequent weeks with the possibility of tagging on ballers. I don't believe in tagging all the time or limiting Vince to just a tagger but I still don't get the reasoning as to why Dangerfield, Fyfe and several of the rest of the top 10 mids in the comp shouldn't be minded.

Bernie's disposal in the preseason hasn't just been dangerous in terms of conceding scores, it's been dangerous to team mates as well. He's mastered the Cam Bruce special at the moment.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 0:40 AM, DeeZee said:

I too believe Joel Smith will play , been our best performed third tall of the pre season, manic tackler and a bit of X factor.

I saw some good tackles and he flew for mark of the year on one occasion. What else did you see? I'm intrigued.

15 hours ago, dee-tox said:

I saw some good tackles and he flew for mark of the year on one occasion. What else did you see? I'm intrigued.

If Hibberd was fit he would have played, same with Frost,Joel apart from Garland us the only third tall back that has played and played well showing all those attributes.

I also saw him do a lot  of those things last season as well at Casey.

Edited by DeeZee

On 17/03/2017 at 10:16 AM, Hell Bent said:

Hunt looks OK, I reckon it's just precautionary... saw him drill a torp from 65 with a slight breeze! 

Pedo looks a little saw in his strapped shoulder/ pec. 

Frost looks fit in main group. JKH jogging n walking laps 

SPELLING.... Saw should be "sore"

16 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Like the idea of Vince tagging Roo hard. Very, very hard.

Roo has a tendency to spit the dummy when things don't go his way and he's taken out 

This x100000000

Do a Dangerfield on him

• Like 1

On 19/03/2017 at 8:51 PM, daisycutter said:

it seems we are being punished for something by the afl. problem is i can't see what the something is. :huh:

Since when has not having a reason worried them dc.

We were find half a million for not cheating.

12 hours ago, old dee said:

Witty?

21 hours ago, old dee said:

And the AFL swept the drug abuse culture of West Coast under the rug for 10 years, if Brock had proffered his opinion they may have taken the claims seriously.

West Coast won flags and brownlows all the time this was going on.