Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CASEY DEMONS 2017 PRE SEASON

KC from Casey

Easy win for an outclassed team on a Sunny day

On a beautifully hot Sunday afternoon at an immaculate looking Casey Fields, the new Demons with a strong team outmatched a good opponent in Port Melbourne for a 17-8-108 to 10-4-64 win in the first VFL practice match for 2017.

The boys started out very strong, with a good mark and goal in the pocket to Jack Watts, a snap around the corner from one of the Casey boys, as well as 5 more to be 7-1-42 to 0 at quarter time.

Maybe due to the fact it was a preseason game and looking like an easy finish, Casey seemed to ease up around the contest and allowed a Port Melbourne midfield stacked with ex AFL and state league players to send the ball inside 50 and kick some good goals, as well as some sloppy errors in defence. An injury scare for Dean Kent after a nice smother in the forward pocket saw him leave the ground with shoulder soreness, but came back on before half time with some strapping to the elbow.

After a longer then usual half time due to the heat, Port again came out strong in the 3rd quarter and for the most part won the contested ball from stoppages, but the Demons still kept fighting and thanks to a couple of late goals Casey where in front 12-4-77 to 10-3-63 coming into the final break.

The boys finished the game strongly, maybe due to superior fitness but definitely due to better skills, the boys managed to get away in the last quarter. 2 very strong overhead marks to Keilty, one which turned into a goal 50m out dead in front, strong forward pressure from Garlett, Kent, Johnstone, a very strong tackle by our boy Tim 'Bull' Smith and good work from the midfielders allowed the game to be easily won.

It wasn't all good news however, with less then 10 minutes to go Col Garland fell to the ground on the far side wing after a big contest, clutching at his left knee and screaming in agony that could be heard from across the ground, saw the game stop and he being stretched off to the worried murmurs of the supporters. They believe he hasn't done any crucial ligaments, however they estimate a 8-10 week recovery for the veteran.

A decent hit out overall, with a lot of room for improvement. Could have won by 100 points if they turned it on in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

For the players (note every player seemed to play at minimum 3 quarters of game time, and no one being rested after half time)

Watts: Good hitout. Seemed to slow up for the 2nd and 3rd quarter but was strong at the start and finish, took some good marks and kicked/set up a number of goals. Round 1 inclusion.

Tyson: Played in the midfield all game, seemed a little below par to his normal game but that's expected when coming off injury, did well.

Trengrove: The former captain did his job, I didn't think he was spectacular but had a very good hitout and did good work when pushing forward.

Kent: In the best for sure. Round 1 lock I would say.

J Smith: Was terrific running off the half back line. Looked unstoppable in the air and ran through to go inside 50 multiple times. If I was a team selector I would play him round 1 for sure.

Pederson: In the best on ground as well. Took a massive mark on the forward 50, had some time in the ruck, played very strong, wouldn't dismiss for a round 1 spot.

Jetta: Did okay, made a few sloppy errors but did well to stop the Port forwards from doing too much damage, maybe not playing round 1.

Garland: Did well all game, a number of marks and spoils before his injury, hope he pulls through.

Hulett: First time I've seen him play as defender and he just looked lost. Over ran the ball, misread the flight, didn't really have any good impact.

McKenna: Had a surprisingly strong game. Lots of defending marks and good defensive pressure for a small backmen, really liked what I saw. With some more development he may turn into a great defender.

Kennedy: Same as usual, was good around stoppages, did well.

Garlett: Jeffy did what Jeffy does. Round 1.

Hannan: Played a fair bit on the ball, where he did well. Flew a couple of times up forward but only held 1 I think, but a good start from the former Footscray forward.

Johnstone: Not a lot of game time and played up the ground a little, didn't get a lot of the ball but did well whenever he did. Looking forward to watching him develop.

T Smith: Typical Bull game. Took a couple of good grabs up forward, kicked/set up goals, and at one stage he tackled someone inside the forward 50 that made the ground shake. Did however miss a couple of goals uncharacteristically.

Keilty: Struggled to get on the ground at times due to 10 on the bench and shorter quarters, but had a very good final term. Didn't get to be in his preferred position as a defender but the mark he took when he lead from the top of the square and leaped in the air and took the ball at its highest point in the middle of multiple defenders had me jumping from my seat.

Filipovic: Did alright in the ruck against a very tall Port Melbourne ruckman, but the pace of the game got to him. He will learn but did well I thought.

White/Maynard: Either didn't play or I just didn't notice their involvement.

Casey Listed: Standouts for me were Hutchins in defence, Gent in the middle was very powerful, Ferreira did well as did Bailey and Baker in the forward pocket.

• Like 37

From early reports, things are not looking good for Col.

Melbourne may have lost a key defender for the 2017 season as Jack Watts impresses

Garland likely to miss season

MFC Demons who played -  
Flipovic Garland Garlett Hannan Hulett Jetta Johnstone Keilty Kennedy Kent Maynard Pederson J Smith T Smith Trengove Tyson Watts

Scores 

Seniors 

Casey Demons 7.1.43 8.5.53 12.5.77 17.6.108

Port Melbourne 0.0.0 5.0.30 10.3.63 10.4.64

Goals Garlett Gent Hannan Watts 2 Baker Ferreria Fritsch Keilty Kent Morris Pederson T Smith  Trengove  

Development League

Port Melbourne 17.9.111 defeated Casey Demons 8.12.60 

On 19/03/2017 at 5:22 PM, Demonland said:

From early reports, things are not looking good for Col.

Melbourne may have lost a key defender for the 2017 season as Jack Watts impresses

Garland likely to miss season

MFC Demons who played -  
Flipovic Garland Garlett Hannan Hulett Jetta Johnstone Keilty Kennedy Kent Maynard Pederson J Smith T Smith Trengove Tyson Watts

Scores 

Seniors 

Casey Demons 7.1.43 8.5.53 12.5.77 17.6.108

Port Melbourne 0.0.0 5.0.30 10.3.63 10.4.64

Goals Garlett Gent Hannan Watts 2 Baker Ferreria Fritsch Keilty Kent Morris Pederson T Smith  Trengove  

Development League

Port Melbourne 17.9.111 defeated Casey Demons 8.12.60 

Damn, at the ground the Docs initially didn't think it was an ACL, must've changed their mind the last 3 hours

10 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

Easy win for an outclassed team on a Sunny day

On a beautifully hot Sunday afternoon at an immaculate looking Casey Fields, the new Demons with a strong team outmatched a good opponent in Port Melbourne for a 17-8-108 to 10-4-64 win in the first VFL practice match for 2017.

The boys started out very strong, with a good mark and goal in the pocket to Jack Watts, a snap around the corner from one of the Casey boys, as well as 5 more to be 7-1-42 to 0 at quarter time.

Maybe due to the fact it was a preseason game and looking like an easy finish, Casey seemed to ease up around the contest and allowed a Port Melbourne midfield stacked with ex AFL and state league players to send the ball inside 50 and kick some good goals, as well as some sloppy errors in defence. An injury scare for Dean Kent after a nice smother in the forward pocket saw him leave the ground with shoulder soreness, but came back on before half time with some strapping to the elbow.

After a longer then usual half time due to the heat, Port again came out strong in the 3rd quarter and for the most part won the contested ball from stoppages, but the Demons still kept fighting and thanks to a couple of late goals Casey where in front 12-4-77 to 10-3-63 coming into the final break.

The boys finished the game strongly, maybe due to superior fitness but definitely due to better skills, the boys managed to get away in the last quarter. 2 very strong overhead marks to Keilty, one which turned into a goal 50m out dead in front, strong forward pressure from Garlett, Kent, Johnstone, a very strong tackle by our boy Tim 'Bull' Smith and good work from the midfielders allowed the game to be easily won.

It wasn't all good news however, with less then 10 minutes to go Col Garland fell to the ground on the far side wing after a big contest, clutching at his left knee and screaming in agony that could be heard from across the ground, saw the game stop and he being stretched off to the worried murmurs of the supporters. They believe he hasn't done any crucial ligaments, however they estimate a 8-10 week recovery for the veteran.

A decent hit out overall, with a lot of room for improvement. Could have won by 100 points if they turned it on in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

For the players (note every player seemed to play at minimum 3 quarters of game time, and no one being rested after half time)

Watts: Good hitout. Seemed to slow up for the 2nd and 3rd quarter but was strong at the start and finish, took some good marks and kicked/set up a number of goals. Round 1 inclusion.

Tyson: Played in the midfield all game, seemed a little below par to his normal game but that's expected when coming off injury, did well.

Trengrove: The former captain did his job, I didn't think he was spectacular but had a very good hitout and did good work when pushing forward.

Kent: In the best for sure. Round 1 lock I would say.

J Smith: Was terrific running off the half back line. Looked unstoppable in the air and ran through to go inside 50 multiple times. If I was a team selector I would play him round 1 for sure.

Pederson: In the best on ground as well. Took a massive mark on the forward 50, had some time in the ruck, played very strong, wouldn't dismiss for a round 1 spot.

Jetta: Did okay, made a few sloppy errors but did well to stop the Port forwards from doing too much damage, maybe not playing round 1.

Garland: Did well all game, a number of marks and spoils before his injury, hope he pulls through.

Hulett: First time I've seen him play as defender and he just looked lost. Over ran the ball, misread the flight, didn't really have any good impact.

McKenna: Had a surprisingly strong game. Lots of defending marks and good defensive pressure for a small backmen, really liked what I saw. With some more development he may turn into a great defender.

Kennedy: Same as usual, was good around stoppages, did well.

Garlett: Jeffy did what Jeffy does. Round 1.

Hannan: Played a fair bit on the ball, where he did well. Flew a couple of times up forward but only held 1 I think, but a good start from the former Footscray forward.

Johnstone: Not a lot of game time and played up the ground a little, didn't get a lot of the ball but did well whenever he did. Looking forward to watching him develop.

T Smith: Typical Bull game. Took a couple of good grabs up forward, kicked/set up goals, and at one stage he tackled someone inside the forward 50 that made the ground shake. Did however miss a couple of goals uncharacteristically.

Keilty: Struggled to get on the ground at times due to 10 on the bench and shorter quarters, but had a very good final term. Didn't get to be in his preferred position as a defender but the mark he took when he lead from the top of the square and leaped in the air and took the ball at its highest point in the middle of multiple defenders had me jumping from my seat.

Filipovic: Did alright in the ruck against a very tall Port Melbourne ruckman, but the pace of the game got to him. He will learn but did well I thought.

White/Maynard: Either didn't play or I just didn't notice their involvement.

Casey Listed: Standouts for me were Hutchins in defence, Gent in the middle was very powerful, Ferreira did well as did Bailey and Baker in the forward pocket.

Great summary, cheers 

• Like 4

I was also at the game but left the ground with a slightly different perspective.

Whilst it was a good hit out for both clubs today in pretty much perfect conditions, in the end the score line flattered Casey, particularly given the insipid effort in the second quarter and junk time goals in last. What appeared to be a dominant display to begin with was overshadowed by a lack of run in Q2 matched only by the Casey's inability to match the hunger and cohesiveness that had engineered a well earned 43point lead &  keeping the opposition scoreless.  The third quarter was inexplicably a mirror of the 2nd, allowing Port to gain the ascendancy and the majority of the momentum, until ultimately fading  by the 10min mark of the last qtr. 

From the Melbourne listed players, I thought Tyson and Smith were the two standouts, and a special mention to Bull who presented well and stuck to his task.  Despite his 2 goals, Garlett was going through the motions. Kent was good. Trengove did his job but was one paced and like a number of his performances on his comeback, was vanilla at best. Spencer didn't play & looked on from the stands with Viney, Hogan & co. Pedersen did his job, Jetta is out of form. 

Despite the media saying otherwise, I thought Watts game (by his own standards) was poor. He spent some time pinch hitting in the ruck and then floating through the corridor between full forward and full back. His decision making at times was extremely poor. Because of this he was caught out on more than a number of occasions and gifting the opposition the ball. He also lacked a physicality and was too often pushed out of the contest by the opposition. Was not on his game today and if I was a selector I would be hesitant to include him for Round 1.    

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rangie HSE said:

I was also at the game but left the ground with a slightly different perspective.

Whilst it was a good hit out for both clubs today in pretty much perfect conditions, in the end the score line flattered Casey, particularly given the insipid effort in the second quarter and junk time goals in last. What appeared to be a dominant display to begin with was overshadowed by a lack of run in Q2 matched only by the Casey's inability to match the hunger and cohesiveness that had engineered a well earned 43point lead &  keeping the opposition scoreless.  The third quarter was inexplicably a mirror of the 2nd, allowing Port to gain the ascendancy and the majority of the momentum, until ultimately fading  by the 10min mark of the last qtr. 

From the Melbourne listed players, I thought Tyson and Smith were the two standouts, and a special mention to Bull who presented well and stuck to his task.  Despite his 2 goals, Garlett was going through the motions. Kent was good. Trengove did his job but was one paced and like a number of his performances on his comeback, was vanilla at best. Spencer didn't play & looked on from the stands with Viney, Hogan & co. Pedersen did his job, Jetta is out of form. 

Despite the media saying otherwise, I thought Watts game (by his own standards) was poor. He spent some time pinch hitting in the ruck and then floating through the corridor between full forward and full back. His decision making at times was extremely poor. Because of this he was caught out on more than a number of occasions and gifting the opposition the ball. He also lacked a physicality and was too often pushed out of the contest by the opposition. Was not on his game today and if I was a selector I would be hesitant to include him for Round 1.    

Reading this and your previous post about him, I doubt you'd have Watts on the list.  Are you sure that you haven't got your anti Jack Watts glasses on and perhaps your preconceived opinion of Trengove?

Going on your summary, I'm surprised we won, we did didn't we?

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Rangie HSE said:

I don't give a rats about his form at Casey, Watts is a LOCK for round 1 I'll put good money onit!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Rangie HSE said:

You mate are the epitome of a miserable supporter. Not sure how a team can win by 50 points and for you to only find the negatives. I wonder if you have the same disposition on life 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rangie HSE said:

another watts basher,he is one of the most important players on the list ,will be the first picked game 1.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to look at who got game time in the second and third quarters. Did we have our best combo on the field in that time? 

• Like 1

Jesus.. Demonland at its finest.. One bloke has a positive spin on the game and is lauded a champion. 

Another poster has a different view on the game and player and looks at it on a different point of view with bit more negative twist and demonland goes into meltdown and wants to hang the bloke.

Is it hard for some to accept that not everyone will see things in the same light?

• Like 15

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Jesus.. Demonland at its finest.. One bloke has a positive spin on the game and is lauded a champion. 

Another poster has a different view on the game and player and looks at it on a different point of view with bit more negative twist and demonland goes into meltdown and wants to hang the bloke.

Is it hard for some to accept that not everyone will see things in the same light?

Not for me, although the fact he singled out Watts for a whole paragraph and decided to focus on the negatives in a 50 point win speaks volumes.  The best reports are the ones that give us both sides of the story, and I thought Drunkn did that well.  Rangie, not so much.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Paxi said:

Casey Fields have at least two EFTPOS machines. One is located in the canteen/bar area of the main stand and one on the canteen on the far side of the ground.           I didn't notice them last year, so they may only be recent additions. Just a piece of information for those that find reasons not to travel out to Casey, This is one less excuse to use.

Dear Paxi. One needs to gain entrance before one can access the ATM. At the Carlton Pre Season game security staff assured me there were No ATMS.

19 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Read post 88, he gave Watts both barrels in it and that was before the game started.  He started off from a position of bias and just fired away from there.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

A bit of a negative twist?? If this is his write up on a 50 point win then I'd hate to read his point of view on a loss. 

Everyone has a different perspective, thanks for taking the time to attend and post. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Not for me, although the fact he singled out Watts for a whole paragraph and decided to focus on the negatives in a 50 point win speaks volumes.  The best reports are the ones that give us both sides of the story, and I thought Drunkn did that well.  Rangie, not so much.

Fair enough. ?

Let me put it this way. Casey owned Port from the opening bounce and we should have gone on to finish the job but we didn't.  This was particularly disappointing given the overrepresentation of Melbourne listed players today , particularly those with significant AFL experience. I don't believe we were switched on at all and regrettably I was able to see that first hand.  The fact that is took a few of the Casey listed boys to get us back in the game says it all.

Early, you raised a good question and provided insight. Plapp was rotating in blocks of 4 today but there was some considerable confusion as could be expected given the number of MFC listed players. Tyson (and Watts) were rested for long periods in the 2nd qtr, and I think Kennedy and Garlett were at some stage rotated. re: Watts  - was receiving plenty of instruction  and may have been playing it to the letter. If so, he was playing very,much outside which didn't seem to work. Almost bruise free footy. I cant speak so much regarding the third qtr. as I was on the other side of the ground. Goodwin was there and hovered during the breaks. He spent time with Watts so make of that what you will.

Regarding my comments on Watts Blood, he is a fine young man and despite him having a pretty ordinary day out (by his standards) still humbly agreed to pose for pics with fans and their kids on the ground. I applaud that. He is a good team man but it doesn't mean he is any different to any other player & therefore should not be treated any differently?  He is clearly a talented footballer who is struggling at present. I hope he has the mental strength to get through this period. If he does I believe he will be an even better footballer than what we saw in 2016.Were you there today?       

Nb: I apologise if I have offended anyone with my take on todays game. 

• Like 7

Just now, Cards13 said:

Everyone has a different perspective, thanks for taking the time to attend and post. 

Yes they are, and that's what makes Demonland, on the whole, a good place to talk about the club.

How you present that perspective is what counts, though.  Rangie's came across as spiteful, in particular towards Watts, when it didn't need to be. 

• Like 1