Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Clarence Oliver

dazzledavey36

23 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

The Parish thing is great. The fact Clarry came up so late and Demons didn't even hesitate, just snatched him (tried for Mills understandably). Mates of mine are bombres, and they started on the "thanks for Parish" stuff... and early on I was worried we had another Toumps/Wines on our hands. Not anymore though. We got the player. And my god, what a player.

In his first game against GWS in Round 1 last year, Oliver had 7 clearances and 22 disposals from 58% game time. How on earth could you have thought Oliver was anything like Toumpas after that debut? Sounds like MFCSS still pervades that mind of yours, mate.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Votes by both coaches for the 6th time in 8 games. 

ADELAIDE v MELBOURNE
10 Jack Viney (Melb)
8 Michael Hibberd (Melb)
5 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
5 Christian Petacca (Melb)
2 Bernie Vince (Melb)

AFLCA LEADERBOARD
43 Elliot Yeo (WC)
42 Rory Sloane (Adel)
36 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
32 Gary Ablett (GC)
31 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
31 Sebastian Ross (StK)
31 Joel Selwood (Geel)
29 Ollie Wines (PA)
27 Marc Murphy (Carl)
27 Jack Steven (StK)

He is leading The Age player of the year award.

Would love to know how hes doing in the awards for Herald Sun, MMM, 3AW, Sunday Footy show etc etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

No we wouldn't rather Mills or Oliver?

I'd have Oliver over everybody. 

I would have Chooch over any 1st round pick over the past 5 or so years, such is his potential greatness!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, A F said:

In his first game against GWS in Round 1 last year, Oliver had 7 clearances and 22 disposals from 58% game time. How on earth could you have thought Oliver was anything like Toumpas after that debut? Sounds like MFCSS still pervades that mind of yours, mate.

Ugh. I'll say it again. I didn't misread Oliver. I always thought we had a beauty. What I'm saying is, Dons fans at the time had Parish ahead. Parish first game: 25 disposals, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 6 clearances. Then the following week he kicked a sausage against the demons, 22 touches, 8 tackles, they won and he got the nomination. I still thought Olly was better. But at the time, Dons boys didn't.

The discussion wasn't about my rating of Olly. It was about bragging rights. At the time, Parish was marginally ahead according to dons fans. My point is, for now, the discussion is absolutely put to bed. Redo the draft today, Oliver goes #1. And not just that, I'm confident that over time he'll stay that way possibly with Weitering to take over based mostly on the rarity of talls.

Make sense?

Actually it's brilliant now. Whenever they start crowing about Parish, I just sit back and smile, take a sip of my pint and whisper "Clarry." They all go quiet.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Ugh. I'll say it again. I didn't misread Oliver. I always thought we had a beauty. What I'm saying is, Dons fans at the time had Parish ahead. Parish first game: 25 disposals, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 6 clearances. Then the following week he kicked a sausage against the demons, 22 touches, 8 tackles, they won and he got the nomination. I still thought Olly was better. But at the time, Dons boys didn't.

The discussion wasn't about my rating of Olly. It was about bragging rights. At the time, Parish was marginally ahead according to dons fans. My point is, for now, the discussion is absolutely put to bed. Redo the draft today, Oliver goes #1. And not just that, I'm confident that over time he'll stay that way possibly with Weitering to take over based mostly on the rarity of talls.

Make sense?

Actually it's brilliant now. Whenever they start crowing about Parish, I just sit back and smile, take a sip of my pint and whisper "Clarry." They all go quiet.

Well, actually, no. It's still nothing like the Toumpas/Wines situation. Even in the bolded bit you've described...

• Like 1

Just now, A F said:

Well, actually, no. It's still nothing like the Toumpas/Wines situation. Even in the bolded bit you've described...

I didn't think I'd have to spell it out to someone on these boards as often as you, and as well travelled,

Toumps overtook Wines very late in the piece before draft day, 2012. Olly took over Parish as the guy we were taking in the same way a couple of years ago. I didn't compare the players. Blind Freddy can see they're completely different types of midfielders. I'm talking about how on draft day, we're supposed to take Parish... he falls to Dons, and they all were VERY quick to suggest we'd "done another toumpas."

Not just that, we had 3 and 7 and they had 4 and 5... This was always going to be a Demons vs Dons draft. It's awesome. We get to say we out drafted them. 

9 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

I didn't think I'd have to spell it out to someone on these boards as often as you, and as well travelled,

Toumps overtook Wines very late in the piece before draft day, 2012. Olly took over Parish as the guy we were taking in the same way a couple of years ago. I didn't compare the players. Blind Freddy can see they're completely different types of midfielders. I'm talking about how on draft day, we're supposed to take Parish... he falls to Dons, and they all were VERY quick to suggest we'd "done another toumpas."

Not just that, we had 3 and 7 and they had 4 and 5... This was always going to be a Demons vs Dons draft. It's awesome. We get to say we out drafted them. 

Fair enough.

• Like 1

Just now, A F said:

Fair enough.

If you don't have mates that are dyed in the wool Bombers supporters, I can highly recommend befriending some. Just be careful though. You might overdose on smugness, like me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

I would have Chooch over any 1st round pick over the past 5 or so years, such is his potential greatness!

Everybody. 

9 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Everybody. 

Even Hogan, if that choice had to be made?

26 minutes ago, Luther said:

Even Hogan, if that choice had to be made?

The fact that both are at my club just made me all warm and fuzzy. 

But absolutely Oliver over Hogan. All starts in the middle. And he's already one of the best mids I've seen at the Dees. 

12 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

He is leading The Age player of the year award.

Would love to know how hes doing in the awards for Herald Sun, MMM, 3AW, Sunday Footy show etc etc.

Just for you!  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brownlow-tracker-round-8-melbourne-youngster-clayton-oliver-begins-to-make-serious-run/news-story/0c0d03cb6875ee81848716319b47c310

Summary:

• HS - not in top 7
  • The Age - leads voting
  • Triple M - 6th
  • SEN - not in top 10...(what games are their vote givers watching!!)
  • 3AW - leads voting
  • Crownbet (Brownlow) - 7th on $21

Their voters must watch the 'name' players rather than who is performing and impacting games to not see what Clarrie is doing. 

Also there is an 'East Coast' bias - Elliot Yeo is leading the Coaches voting.  The only one of the above to have him in their top vote getters is SEN where is 7th.

Lets hope the umpires don't suffer the same biases as the media.

On Clarrie's winning prospects, now that Viney has hit form he will start taking votes from him.  Maybe they can be 1st and 2nd in everything!! :o

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Their voters must watch the 'name' players rather than who is performing and impacting games to not see what Clarrie is doing. 

This always happens. Triple M gave their 3 votes to Trac on Saturday. IMO he played a good game but  would have been behind Viney, Oliver and Hibberd. Some observers are seduced by 'star' players and even though Trac is not there yet every observer has him marked down for future star.

Oliver by rights should be viewed in the same light and with increasing media focus is likely to be thought of that way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Just for you!  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brownlow-tracker-round-8-melbourne-youngster-clayton-oliver-begins-to-make-serious-run/news-story/0c0d03cb6875ee81848716319b47c310

Summary:

• HS - not in top 7
  • The Age - leads voting
  • Triple M - 6th
  • SEN - not in top 10...(what games are their vote givers watching!!)
  • 3AW - leads voting
  • Crownbet (Brownlow) - 7th on $21

Highlights the quality of each media outlet in almost perfect order.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

We wouldn't prefer Mills, I misread the post.

Obviously knowing what we know now, I would've been shattered if we didn't take Oliver, as I think he could be something that we haven't had for many, many decades.  But with that said, I wouldn't be upset if Mills had've landed with us.

Mills, Oliver and Parish are all very, very good players.  Clearly Oliver is the best of the 3, but the other 2 have definitely justified their first round selection.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

This always happens. Triple M gave their 3 votes to Trac on Saturday. IMO he played a good game but  would have been behind Viney, Oliver and Hibberd. Some observers are seduced by 'star' players and even though Trac is not there yet every observer has him marked down for future star.

Oliver by rights should be viewed in the same light and with increasing media focus is likely to be thought of that way.

Imo Petracca was second best behind Viney and Oliver third.

We all see things differently.

• Like 1

Oliver has an incredible ability to step out of trouble (often retreating away from our goals) and with his amazing vision and decision making get us out of trouble with terrific handballs to teammates (often also backwards i've noted). I find it amazing how short into his career we have come to rely on him so much and how confident i am when he gets the ball.

Also he might be one of those rare players who influence how the game is played. His handballing technique where he he holds it at eye height and punches it (rather than from a flat hand) gives him a huge advantage in clearances and getting the ball out quickly. It sometimes leads to him wrongly being pinged for throwing, though not last weekend i was pleased to see. it won't be long before other start to copy it. 

Does anyone know if he used this technique as a junior? 

He always looks composed and even if he cops a hit he just shrugs it off and gets on with it, it will be interesting to see how he copes with a tag, which will come soon, I would imagine.

I was all for Parish and I'm happy to say I got it wrong.

1 hour ago, binman said:

it won't be long before other start to copy it.

Plenty will try, and plenty will die trying. You either have it or you don't. Plenty of kids grew up wanting to be a Flower or Ablett. Plenty of others wanted to be a Bradman or Warne. 

Talent does what it can. Genius does what it must.

Some things can never be taught now matter how great the teacher.

• Like 3