Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday 23 January, 2017

Whispering_Jack

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

With ANB and Hannan who are fixtures in the rehab group, think they are adopting the JKH and Hunt model and hopefully making them bullet proof, Crossy really works them over

Hannan is going to be a real asset, can kick goals with both feet, and is really good mark, working on his endurance constantly, so assume they regard that as the one area he needs work on, of course after one season in the Ammos and then one in VFL there will be no AFL base there so to speak

Could also be that Hannah had shoulder surgery a bit later than both pedo and TMac and will still be out of the majority of contact drills. 

If Spencer was able to play that forward role as well as Pederson (which is a relatively low bar) he would be a major asset. The problem is, for him, that he is a genuine ruck with few strings to his bow, behind a ruck who will probably be even more dominant with the new rules. 

1 minute ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Could also be that Hannah had shoulder surgery a bit later than both pedo and TMac and will still be out of the majority of contact drills. 

If Spencer was able to play that forward role as well as Pederson (which is a relatively low bar) he would be a major asset. The problem is, for him, that he is a genuine ruck with few strings to his bow, behind a ruck who will probably be even more dominant with the new rules. 

Nah, they do a lot of contact work in the rehab group, it is Crossy after all, drill today where they were wrestling one on one and then going for a lead, ANB roughed up Hannan a couple of times to test out his shoulders

As for Spencer, who knows, just nice to have a big unit that can run all day and is really competitive, his kicking has improved out of sight, of course not in the heat of a game as yet

2 minutes ago, nutbean said:

WayneWussell - interested to hear your thoughts on Trengove ?

Trengove looks a lot like the player we knew in his first few seasons - pre-injury. That is a very handy mid/forward waiting in the wings. He is assured with the ball, has always been good inside, and he is a goal-kicker when inside the arc. He may come into calculations early if there is any delay in getting Tyson back.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Trengove looks a lot like the player we knew in his first few seasons - pre-injury. That is a very handy mid/forward waiting in the wings. He is assured with the ball, has always been good inside, and he is a goal-kicker when inside the arc. He may come into calculations early if there is any delay in getting Tyson back.

Can he move?

What's his mobility and acceleration like?

1 minute ago, waynewussell said:

Perfectly put WW, I am a bit biased when it comes to Jack, but he did look good today in the drills, will give it everything he has got which can only be a good thing for the team

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Can he move?

What's his mobility and acceleration like?

He's fine FD, said before it is the speed between his ears which will help him, totally confident in his body now, did a couple of classy things today to show he is back to where he was, just by positioning himself properly to receive the ball and move it on quickly and efficiently

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

He's fine FD, said before it is the speed between his ears which will help him, totally confident in his body now, did a couple of classy things today to show he is back to where he was, just by positioning himself properly

Thanks Saty, but my worry with him is that being unable to spread at speed can make you a liability in today's play on at all costs game. Even if he can think fast enough to be an inside mid, he needs to be able to rotate through other spots to justify his place in the side.

I also fear that many here have a very blinkered view of him, because of his history with the club, and as such refuse to see any limitations.

I hope you are right, but I still fear the worst for him. I reckon we will know when we see him play his first competitive game.

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Thanks Saty, but my worry with him is that being unable to spread at speed can make you a liability in today's play on at all costs game. Even if he can think fast enough to be an inside mid, he needs to be able to rotate through other spots to justify his place in the side.

I also fear that many here have a very blinkered view of him, because of his history with the club, and as such refuse to see any limitations.

I hope you are right, but I still fear the worst for him. I reckon we will know when we see him play his first competitive game.

Nah Faulty it's like WW said, he is a very good option to have if we need him.

He wasn't found out in the drills today, he looked like he did pre injury, a classy player with an ability to play at his own pace, but like a lot of others he needs to be the first one in the minds of the coaches for a position. I have spoken to him a couple of times he is under no illusions of what he needs to do

Dom Tyson is working his arse off to get back coz he knows if he isn't on the teamsheet for round 1 he will have a fight on his hands to be on it for round 2

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Nah Faulty it's like WW said, he is a very good option to have if we need him.

He wasn't found out in the drills today, he looked like he did pre injury, a classy player with an ability to play at his own pace, but like a lot of others he needs to be the first one in the minds of the coaches for a position. I have spoken to him a couple of times he is under no illusions of what he needs to do

Dom Tyson is working his arse off to get back coz he knows if he isn't on the teamsheet for round 1 he will have a fight on his hands to be on it for round 2

Saty if he is what he was before injury are you suggesting we are now that strong that we don't need him unless injury gives him a chance?

Pre injury he was going to be an elite mid.

• Like 1

I was there briefly this morning and having noted the great work of WW, Saty and Vogan P, I have very little to contribute other than a couple of moments that got me excited:

1. The professional attitude and numbers of support staff. Felt like a well oiled, championship club. 

2. Warm up running, all turned to run backwards on. The punt road side, someone in the group called out and the group responded in unison with a loud enthusiastic response that resonated commitment and belief. 

3. Short kick to kick with slight alterations every couple of minutes. Watching Salem, Petracca, Hogan, Lewis and Jones was a delight

4. Watching an unusual drill with tennis balls and seeing Harmes smash Lewis. Lewis was winded and sat out for five. Harmes popped over to help him up, while giving him the 'does that hurt old timer' look. Lewis jumps up pats him on the back and got straight in with it. 

5. 10/10 drill looked slick and only just below match day real. Standouts for me were Hibberd, Watts, Gawn, Hoganand Jones. Always present and dangerous. 

Liked stretch and Trengrove also. Did see trenners get run down at one point, but, nailed the kick. 

Thats all I've got for now. Got distracted by my little girl taking photos of her namesake, Jesse. 

Edited by Demi Dee
Add photos
  • Like 19

Just now, Vogon Poetry said:

Saty if he is what he was before injury are you suggesting we are now that strong that we don't need him unless injury gives him a chance?

Pre injury he was going to be an elite mid.

No, not that at all, for Rd 1 the way we are going,  the coaches will hopefully have a minimum of  35 players fighting for 22 spots, Trengove included, that was the whole idea of what Roos and Goodwin set out to do.

If Trengove gets in he will be there on merit, he is starting to show the signs in the drills of his class, which as I have said will only benefit the team

At training, discuss the Rd 1 team with other watchers, we all agree would be nice to have 15 on the bench, because that is only way we can fit in all the players who are showing they deserve a spot at the moment

[censored] we are in a good place at the moment

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Demi Dee said:

Did see trenners get run down at one point, but, nailed the kick. 

And that is the whole point I was making about Trenners, didn't panic with the sound of approaching footsteps, and nailed the pass

The other one thing I loved watching today, when he had had his break, was Oliver in the 5 on 3 handball drill, his hands are just fantastic to watch, both offensively and defensively

• Like 8

It's been awhile but I was stoked to attend my 1st training session for the year. Picked a cracking day for it.......

Firstly, I don't understand how WW can make sense of the drills and post at the same time. Full respect! Takes me long enough to just work out who's doing what.

Training has definitely improved every year for the last few years. The intensity is up, the talk is up, the couches involvement is up and most importantly the skills are up. The music is odd but not in a bad way and I get the theory behind it. There also seem to be almost as many staff as players! Maybe that's where Roosy's salary has gone...

The drills have been covered well so I don't have much to add there. There's not much down time it's go, go go. The players need to be switched on mentally as well. It was a tough day for it and the coaches didn't go easy on them, it was pretty brutal.

My comments for what it's worth:

• Loved seeing Lewis finally. Now that I was really paying attention jeez he's a beautiful kick of the footy. A really good influence on the group too. It's not his 'on field coaching. At one stage, when he and Trac were sitting out the match sim, Trac was getting really into it from the boundary calling out instructions. Lewis told him back it off and let the team out there talk.
  • Players that stood out to me today were Hunt, Jones, Lewis, Hogan, Watts and Viney. But most players were pretty good, also Pederson, Melksham, Johnstone, Garlett, Gawn, Vandenberg and Trengove.
  • Hunt looks so full of confidence, he's a pleasure to watch (that sounds bad doesn't it..).
  • I'm glad to read Oliver might have had hay fever, not surprising either considering the conditions, as he seemed out of it. Not much talk or involvement with team mates, looked cooked and spent a fair bit of time coming off. His skills were good when I watched him in drills but he was struggling to keep up today. One of my favs to watch!
  • Weideman and O Mac have definitely bulked up, but will still take a couple of years.
  • Loved my first glimpse of Johnstone. Very lively and bit of x-factor about him! Fitness-wise you can tell his a draftee but he was pushing and trying his heart out. Team mates were getting around him in a big way. Looks to have talent.
  • I didnt' realise Bugg was such a talker, in the instructive/leadership type way not the lippy fella we know he can be.
  • Hibberd nor Melksham appeared to be off the pace after a year off, though it is only training.
  • As others have mentioned Spencer was everywhere, though his kicks were regularly not to advantage. They were more safe than risky though so perhaps it's him trying to play to his ability.
  • I was bummed not to see Brayshaw, he must've left before I arrived. Just saw Tyson and Jetta packing up and heading back.
  • I liked Troy Chaplin's coaching. He would run through the different aspects of the match sim with whichever team had just rotated out.

Getting too distracted by the tennis now so that'll do it. Thanks to all the other attendees who've been getting me through this preseason!

• Like 33

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Thanks Wayne, Saty, Demi Dee, Vogon, Ruffles and anyone else who I've missed that have posted reports. About time you all made it to training. Did you read the last training thread?! 

My humble apologies, Ethan, for derailing the continuity of the previous thread. 

It seems that my ego is not tall, fast nor footy smart enough to drive that train through such intrepid grounds. 

In all honesty, I'm happy to take the good, bad and ugly of this site. We're all here for different reasons with the same intent. Watching training today made me realise that we are in good hands and for what it's worth I believe we are all onto something very special. Go Dees 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Trac has good vision, just has a technical issue with his kicking that means he can spear the ball over 50m unlike many players but doesn't have touch on his short kicking. As long as he keeps working out in he won't become the long bomb king!

10 hours ago, beelzebub said:

My murky point was Beamer only had one power setting.. Trac needs to be taught"finesse"

Would I be correct in saying that Trac has ... greater mental capacity than did Beamer?

9 hours ago, AllMyTeamsAreWank said:

Absolutely awesome to hear Spencer starting to step up. Let's hope he can actually replicate on game day. Spencer is a competitive beast who was really only let down by his own ability rather than endeavour. 

How does the team fit both Spencer and Gawn into the same team?

Maybe as others have alluded to, and depending on opposition line ups*, they could both spend time up forward, at least while Weideman is developing.  

*though wouldn't it be nice if opposition teams had to worry about matching up against us rather that vice versa.  Time to set some trends ourselves, and not always respond. I trust that Goodwin may add some creative flair in that regard. 

Edited by monoccular

33 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Would I be correct in saying that Trac has ... greater mental capacity than did Beamer?

Well, he certainly hasn't landed us in the poo ! :rolleyes:

Exciting, full of promise, makes occasional poor judgement. .

Should be ok ;)

6 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Just for the record I have a different view but only time will tell.  We've been down this road before.

Id like to get your view on Trengove as I'm a huge fan but fear that his pace will still hold him. So many times i have heard Saty say players like Grimes, Mckenzie look slick during pre season only to get caught out come match day. This is where my fear of of Trenners is at.

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Id like to get your view on Trengove as I'm a huge fan but fear that his pace will still hold him. So many times i have heard Saty say players like Grimes, Mckenzie look slick during pre season only to get caught out come match day. This is where my fear of of Trenners is at.

'daz', not answering for 'Vogon' but on having seen one training session I thought Trenners looked good, really good.

I wouldn't make a call just on training and also just on his pace.

I think the biggest thing that held him back was his lack of power in the contest post injury.

He was a strong tackler and good in close and he lost all that.

...in the end I don't think we will really know how he stacks up until the games start this year.

As you know training is training, games are a whole different thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, faultydet said:

My concern isn't with his ability to spread but whether he will be able to keep up with his man defensively.  We have repeatedly found ourselves struggling against sides who can outrun us and stream into the 50.  If his man has a significant pace advantage then all they will do is jog him to the centre square, turn and sprint to the 50 and be the open man who gets a free possession and shot at goal.  He needs to be able to cover this or he'll do more harm than good in the side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

My concern isn't with his ability to spread but whether he will be able to keep up with his man defensively.  We have repeatedly found ourselves struggling against sides who can outrun us and stream into the 50.  If his man has a significant pace advantage then all they will do is jog him to the centre square, turn and sprint to the 50 and be the open man who gets a free possession and shot at goal.  He needs to be able to cover this or he'll do more harm than good in the side. 

I've been out of football a while, but very rarely do players have direct opponents these days. Sure, they line up on someone at the start of a quarter or after a goal is kicked but generally that's it. Hard tags have even gone out of fashion! Now they cover space/zones and the like. Trengove is primarily a midfielder so guarding space and getting numbers in specific spots would be the coaches instruction as I understand it.

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 3