Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AWFL practice match - January 21st

Swings and roundabouts. We won like 4 games in a row then absolutely belted the Lions composite-team @ The G last year. We were due a spanking. Luckily it's only a nothing practice match, but plenty of Carlscum nufties have gone from ignoring/flat out criticizing the AFLW to riding the coat tails of a nothing win and acting like they've won the premiership. Hope both our teams embarrass them at Casey in Feb.

Have been following the women's comp from overseas as much as I can and its impossible to forsee what teams are decent and predict possible premiers.

While Darebin was essentially split up and sent to different teams, we have a very good skeleton structure in that these players have won premierships together at the Falcons:

- Our skipper Daisy Pearce is by far the best women's footballer in the league, by far. Class.

- Mel Hickey is widely considered to be the best CHB in the country and has built herself into an absolute machine since last exhibition match. Not as tall as your Tayla Harris' etc but she's quality.

- Karen Paxman is highly rated as an endurance machine who makes good decisions and doesn't stop running.

- Elise O'Dea is a somewhat hard at it inside mid who can kick the odd goal or two.

- Lauren Pearce (unrelated to Daisy) is our 184cm ruck/forward. She's only young but she's also only 2cm shorter than the Filth's ruck (who's reported to "tower over" every other player in the league), plus she booted a nice major in the Lion's game. To put it into perspective, Lauren was a basketballer her whole life and had only been playing footy for a year but already cemented herself as no 1 ruck at Darebin. No mean feat when you consider the talent at the Falcs.

We didn't have Lauren play on Saturday in the praccy which is one of many factors as to why we got smacked, but one reason why we shouldn't lose hope.

We chose brilliant young talent in Deanna Berry - a young, hard at it half-forward who can take a brilliant mark (see below) and is a tough and class player. She was outstanding in Vic Metro game and I'm surprised not to hear how she went on Saturday. 

We have plenty of other young talent with great leadership skills such as HB Katherine Smith (took a great hanger in practice match apparently) Lily Mithen, Maddy Boyd, etc. Seems a lot of other teams invested in older, aggressive bigger bodied women who will likely pay dividends in the short term but are susceptible to burn out and injury.

As someone else posted, Melbourne was reported as being more polished and hitting more targets, but who knows what happened in that last quarter. I'm hoping the review is done smartly and effective as from reports of the game it seemed we struggled abysmally in f50 entries and scoring, but apparently we dominated in the 2nd Q with forward pressure and kept it locked in. Our FF Richelle 'Rocky' Cranston was described as being a 'Human Wrecking Ball', so let's hope we can get an attacking game plan in place so Rocky and Alyssa Misfud (FF) can get on the end of a few and kick some goals.

Still confident we'll win the first premiership. If we don't, we'll certainly win a whole bunch in the next couple of years.

Edited by Dee Gee
  • Like 4

I didn't watch too closely in the second half as I dislocated my finger at the halftime heroes kick to kick, but I saw a lot of Carlton players running forward whilst their Dees opponents couldn't keep up or were walking exhausted with their hands on their hips. Blues definitely had a lot more endurance

2 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

I didn't watch too closely in the second half as I dislocated my finger at the halftime heroes kick to kick, but I saw a lot of Carlton players running forward whilst their Dees opponents couldn't keep up or were walking exhausted with their hands on their hips. Blues definitely had a lot more endurance

That's a worry. Can't fix that in two weeks.

2 hours ago, Dee Gee said:

Still confident we'll win the first premiership. If we don't, we'll certainly win a whole bunch in the next couple of years.

A great insight there Dee Gee. In my view we looked slow and appeared to have chosen a side based on a combative inside game rather than the outside running that appears to be needed in a 16 v 16 on larger grounds. It is interesting that you think we have chosen a young list to develop as I was concerned that our two marquees being passed 25 may already be passed their best whilst others appear to have chosen younger up and comers. Will be curious to see how we go and feel more promise based on your comments. 

• Like 1

I don't think you can include any of our past performances as a Womens Team called Melbourne as that's not the same thing we have now, other than of course it's a womens' team called Melbourne.

Personally I think its a great wake up call. Yes only a practice match but obviously much to take away from it. That we had no numbers is quite frankly laughable and unforgivable. Amateur hour surely !!

Now all the fluff and mist has dissipated I hope we can move on and be truly competitive. 3/4 efforts.....sounds AWFLy familiar !!

That was then and this is now....not so rosey all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

I don't think you can include any of our past performances as a Womens Team called Melbourne as that's not the same thing we have now, other than of course it's a womens' team called Melbourne.

Personally I think its a great wake up call. Yes only a practice match but obviously much to take away from it. That we had no numbers is quite frankly laughable and unforgivable. Amateur hour surely !!

Now all the fluff and mist has dissipated I hope we can move on and be truly competitive. 3/4 efforts.....sounds AWFLy familiar !!

That was then and this is now....not so rosey all of a sudden.

I went with my Carlton supporting brother in law and his 11 year old footy obsessed daughter. By the end of the game she knew who her favourites were by name and number. She raced out and already has their autographs on the back of her Blues jumper and knows whose number she wants on the back (Darcy Vescio). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, poita said:

I remember reading initially that we had taken a long term view with our recruiting. Good in theory but, if it means that we are not among the better teams initially, it means a real missed opportunity to convert neutral supporters of the competition. Not having the player wearing numbers is a woeful oversight, given that lists have been published previously.

Also, score lines of 2 goals to 1 at 3/4 time are not going to attract any new converts. Hopefully they consider reducing the field size if this continues.

There were 2000 people in attendance for a practice match, despite the scoreline it was a good competitive game to watch, the Dees ran out of petrol in the last, no numbers wasn't an issue, only for the Dees nitpickers

Edited by Satyriconhome

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

There were 2000 people in attendance for a practice match, despite the scoreline it was a good competitive game to watch, the Dees ran out of petrol in the last, no numbers wasn't an issue, only for the Dees nitpickers

Saty, Pearce aside can you tell me who your favourite players were and who played well?

Just now, big_red_fire_engine said:

Saty, Pearce aside can you tell me who your favourite players were and who played well?

Most of the team played well until they ran out of petrol, but because they are new the only two I can recognise on the field are Daisy Pearce and Melissa Hickey

I have fun at the male training answering queries from supporters attending the first time, as in today, when somebody said who is nr 34, so the point about numbers is mute, if that is the point you are trying to make

2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Most of the team played well until they ran out of petrol, but because they are new the only two I can recognise on the field are Daisy Pearce and Melissa Hickey

I have fun at the male training answering queries from supporters attending the first time, as in today, when somebody said who is nr 34, so the point about numbers is mute, if that is the point you are trying to make

Thanks for your response. I went to learn more about our team and more so the players. I saw a decent game with no understanding of who our players are. Similar to you I walked away knowing one player Pearce (did not know Hickey) and no clue on any of the others.  I am surprised you did not find the lack of numbers as frustrating as I, particularly when you like to be personable with players. 

Why did we lose 

Seriously. 

We've been at this longer than any.

First hit out....well....

The team is not that of old but how did the wheels fall off so badly ?

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Thanks for your response. I went to learn more about our team and more so the players. I saw a decent game with no understanding of who our players are. Similar to you I walked away knowing one player Pearce (did not know Hickey) and no clue on any of the others.  I am surprised you did not find the lack of numbers as frustrating as I, particularly when you like to be personable with players. 

Still getting used to the woman's team, managed one training session and one game

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Why did we lose 

Seriously. 

Carlton did a lot of recruiting from Basketball background, so players looked bigger and stronger, the physicality got to the Dees at the end

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Still getting used to the woman's team, managed one training session and one game

Carlton did a lot of recruiting from Basketball background, so players looked bigger and stronger, the physicality got to the Dees at the end

Are you suggesting wegot it wrong ? Just asking 

18 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Perhaps the lack of numbers on the guernseys was due to the jumper presentation being tonight

Be ridiculous if so. Wtf plays without numbers ...even if not real ones .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Why did we lose 

Seriously. 

Don't know if serious...? You know we have a completely new team right?

I saw quite a bit of the women's VFL last year (a lot of one particular team which will probably be obvious) so can give a semi-educated opinion on our and other teams' recruiting. I was disappointed overall with our draft haul, predominantly with our lack of a proven key forward which I think will prove to be our downfall during the season.

Daisy is obviously a great get. Hickey was a bit of a reach as a marquee player but getting Paxman as a priority makes up for that. 

Overall our drafting was VERY young/inexperienced. A good proportion of our team seems to be just out of youth girls or new to footy in the past couple of years so much like GWS or GCS' first few seasons I expect that we will struggle early despite good top end senior players but should be a force in a couple of years. We were unlucky to be the last Victorian team to pick as Lambert, Stevens and Jakobbsen are all guns. O'Dea was a solid pick but Berry was too early IMO. She has great skills and potential but hasn't really proven herself yet (played forward pocket in the VFL last year). Our players that I can see that are primarily key forwards are Jess Anderson and Jasmine Grierson who both played their first year of senior football last year. Cranston has played up forward a lot but is a bit short. Lauren Pearce and Maddie Boyd are ruck/forwards. We do have options but they are not close to the Vescio/Hope/Brennan level. Our midfield and defence look ok.

I expect that the bulldogs will clearly be the top Vic team. Their midfield with Blackburn, Kearney (clearly the next best mids (after Daisy) along with Bri Davey), Lambert, Hannah Scott and Brooke Lochland should dominate. Plus O'Connor and Spark who are top rucks. And Brennan up forward. 

Carlton have done well getting a top forward and mid as their marquee players, like the bulldogs. They lack top line midfielders behind Davey but Hosking, Exon and Pound are quality. They have a great forward line with Vescio, Jakobsson, Ayre and Arnell. Collingwood looks good all over the ground except for a weak midfield. Their backline should be particularly strong with Stevens, Chiocci and Penny Cula-Reid and obviously they have Hope up forward, along with Cameron. 

You only need to look at the league B&F and team of the year to see that we will struggle this year.

SWISSE VFL WOMEN’S BEST AND FAIREST LEADERBOARD

Daisy Pearce (Darebin)                   33 --> Melb

Brianna Davey (St Kilda)               29 --> Carl

Ellie Blackburn (Melbourne Uni)       23 --> WB

Katie Brennan (Darebin)                22 --> WB

Steph Chiocci (Diamond Creek)       22 --> Coll

Bree White (VU Western Spurs)       20 --> Coll

Emma Kearney (Melbourne Uni)       20 --> WB

Bianca Jakobsson (Cranbourne)        17 --> Carl

Jaimee Lambert (Eastern Devils)      15 --> WB

Sarah Perkins (Eastern Devils)         15 --> Adel

B: Kim Ebb (WB) Nic Stevens (Coll) Nic Hildebrand (Bris)

HB: Hannah Scott (WB) Hickey (Melb) Paxman (Melb)

C: Pearce (Melb) Davey (Carl) Kearney (WB)

HF: Vescio (Carl) Brennan (WB) Jakobsson (Carl)

FF: Arnell (Carl) Hope (Coll) Perkins (Adel)

FOll: Downie (Carl), Blackburn (WB), Lambert (WB)

Inter: Gillespie-Jones (Carl), Ashmore (Bris), Boyd (Melb), Attard (Carl), Chiocci (coll), White (Coll)

But on the plus side, hopefully the drafting next year will be in reverse order as it is for the AFL and we will be able to pick up Izzy Huntington. She did her ACL in the youth girls game before the last women's exhibition game so we won't see much of her this year but she will be a weapon and probably the best player in the league very soon. She was not eligible for to play VFL last year but played only 4 games in the Premier division (next one down from VFL) and was BOG in all of them and also took out the team's B&F playing only those 4 games! She's tall, fast, beautiful kick and strong mark and seems always have so much time, a bit like Pendlebury. And is a big Dees fan!

So there's my preview...

Edited by godees
  • Like 7

Thanks Go Dees for a considered and informative reply

Yes I was serious. I fully acknowledge that this is a different entity now performing as the MFC Women's Team. I certainly didn't think we'd maintain our dominance but given our provenance in regard to this area of the game I thought that we would have built a team somewhat more potent. Carlton's been at it for 5 mins ( relatively) and they seem to have gone about things differently.

We fell away in the last which points to fitness.  Whilst our lads improve year to year ..the lasses aren't availed of this doctrine of training ?

I know it's only a practice match but they already seem behind the eight ball .

WIll be interesting to see how they apply any lessons learnt in the upcoming 1st round .

go Dees

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-01-25/aflw-oppo-watch-harris-in-doubt-for-opener

Not that you'd wish injury on the lovely Tayla, but this certainly gives us an edge. Only have one tall fwd to shut down now in Sabrina Frederick-Tarub.

On 25/01/2017 at 9:47 PM, Dee Gee said:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-01-25/aflw-oppo-watch-harris-in-doubt-for-opener

Not that you'd wish injury on the lovely Tayla, but this certainly gives us an edge. Only have one tall fwd to shut down now in Sabrina Frederick-Tarub.

Yeah, this is a great boost for our chances, again not to wish anything bad on Tayla.

Frederick-Traub is terrible. She doesn't lead well, drops marks, has a short range on her kick and isn't accurate. I remember watching her hoping we wouldn't go near he in the draft.

Hope on the other hand will rip any back(wo)man apart. Gutted she went to Collingwood.

• Like 1

Love this. Very excited by the fact that they are getting our coaching staff involved. Plus look at the pipes on Mel. Can't wait for Sunday.

4 hours ago, Choke said:

Yeah, this is a great boost for our chances, again not to wish anything bad on Tayla.

Frederick-Traub is terrible. She doesn't lead well, drops marks, has a short range on her kick and isn't accurate. I remember watching her hoping we wouldn't go near he in the draft.

Hope on the other hand will rip any back(wo)man apart. Gutted she went to Collingwood.

Yeah, she had the big body and physical presence but Tayla leaves her for dead.

I'm interested to see Deanna Berry up forward and Alyssa Mifsud. Rocky Cranston isn't a bad kick either, hopefully our I50's improve so they can get on the end of a few.