Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

All the best, Andrew

The Chazz

We are all passionate Demons, and often get caught up in the emotion of wanting the best thing for our club.  We all think we know what's best, and often our opinion is quite different to the next person.  We all have players we love, players we love to hate, and players we want to hold responsible for us not winning a flag each year.

One thing we often forget is that the players that are fortunate enough to play for our club, they are human.  They are in a "fortunate" position to have people idolise them, and can really make a difference in the lives of some less fortunate than most of us.  While I'm sure all the players are striving to win a premiership at some stage in their careers, I'd have no doubt that being responsible for giving someone an extra bit of hope, especially at this time of year, is just as satisfying.

I encourage everyone on here to watch this clip.  I'm sure that if it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, that at the very least it will make you appreciate the efforts that our club goes to, to make someone's day.  The whole club is doing whatever it can, each year, to make the day of the near 40,000 members, and the however many non-members that barrack for our club, but every now and then it can deliver that warm and fuzzy feeling without feeling the need to lift a premiership cup.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2016-12-05/coach-for-a-day

This stuff makes me bloody proud to be a supporter.

Go Dees.

• Like 16

I forget to mention, and pretty sure I am echoing the thoughts of the Demonland community...

Good luck to Andrew, I hope you get to see a Demon flag sooner rather than later.  And I wish you and your family nothing but the best of good times and health for the upcoming festive season, and for many years to come.

• Like 4

I seem to have sprung a leak from my eyes... lovely stuff and really hope that everything works out for Andrew and his family.  Footballers have to be much more than just footballers these days, and I can only see that as being a good thing.

• Like 3

This might be a case of bias but I think it's great to see so many players go up and introduce themselves. Gawny hoist him on his shoulders. Others listen intently to what he had to say. 

A few years ago I wonder if most of the players would've just done the bare minimum as part of their job. Now they seem engaged with the club. I don't think they would've had to be told to get involved, they just did it.

Watching this I didn't get the same emotions that a lot of others on here and on twitter etc have seemingly felt for Andrew but I had a great sense of pride in the club and I'm sure that means he would've had an amazing day.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

This might be a case of bias but I think it's great to see so many players go up and introduce themselves. Gawny hoist him on his shoulders. Others listen intently to what he had to say. 

A few years ago I wonder if most of the players would've just done the bare minimum as part of their job. Now they seem engaged with the club. I don't think they would've had to be told to get involved, they just did it.

Watching this I didn't get the same emotions that a lot of others on here and on twitter etc have seemingly felt for Andrew but I had a great sense of pride in the club and I'm sure that means he would've had an amazing day.

DeeSpencer, for all his faults as a player, Col Sylvia used to organise regular visits, I mean at least 2 or 3 times a month to the Children's Hospital with players, it went unreported.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

DeeSpencer, for all his faults as a player, Col Sylvia used to organise regular visits, I mean at least 2 or 3 times a month to the Children's Hospital with players, it went unreported.

Agree Colin was a unrecognised for his good works. I think he was close to Jim Stynes and his loss hit him hard.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think you are being a little unfair to past players. They always did a lot of work with sick kids. 

Today it makes the website

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Talk about re-writing history, what a ridiculous post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Tipping you don't have kids, Spencer?

(Not being rude, but if you have kids of your own that are fit and healthy, these sort of stories should make you appreciate the things we often take for granted).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Little Andrew may not be with us for long. 

May the Demons be Mighty while he is still here

Make September MFC....

Crikey, Sir - did you have to add that first line - the tears in my eyes and heart from watching the video overflowed as I read your post.  His illness is quite rare but there could be up to 10 years for the Dees to get him a flag but hopefully it is sooner than later, just in case. 

At every level it was a precious, moving video.  Hoisted high on Max's shoulders going over the bridge is especially poignant. 

Andrew could have wished for almost anything and Starlight would bend over backwards to make it happen.  But in an age where kids have and wish for more and more material things, how refreshing for young Andrew to just want the experience of coaching his beloved Demons -  An inspirational young fellow. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Redleg said:

All the best Andy, you have a lot of fans on here.

Yes count me as one too. My wife gives me a hard time over my footy obsession and calls me "fndee" when I do something somewhat moronic but watched that video together and we both had tears. This is one of the things footy clubs do very well. 

A big good luck to Andrew although let's hope Jack Viney can put on some upper body strength 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Well it was reported when he won the community award. Otherwise I'm not sure what Sylvia has to do with my post.

I'm not trying to be critical of the previous players. Some if not most of whom would've done great work in the community. But for years I've watched Jack Watts be nearly the only player to show any interest in the kids who run out through the banner each week or hang around after training. I just think there's more maturity in this young list and a greater engagement as a club. 

Is that so unreasonable given we've had 3 years of stable admin and Paul 'relationships' Roos as coach compared to the turmoil in the admin and the coach who came before?

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Crikey, Sir - did you have to add that first line - the tears in my eyes and heart from watching the video overflowed as I read your post.  His illness is quite rare but there could be up to 10 years for the Dees to get him a flag but hopefully it is sooner than later, just in case. 

At every level it was a precious, moving video.  Hoisted high on Max's shoulders going over the bridge is especially poignant. 

Andrew could have wished for almost anything and Starlight would bend over backwards to make it happen.  But in an age where kids have and wish for more and more material things, how refreshing for young Andrew to just want the experience of coaching his beloved Demons -  An inspirational young fellow. 

I went to a school that had a lot of Andrew's LH

Every day is precious..don't worry it got me teared up this morning

The club did a beautiful thing...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Well it was reported when he won the community award. Otherwise I'm not sure what Sylvia has to do with my post.

I'm not trying to be critical of the previous players. Some if not most of whom would've done great work in the community. But for years I've watched Jack Watts be nearly the only player to show any interest in the kids who run out through the banner each week or hang around after training. I just think there's more maturity in this young list and a greater engagement as a club. 

Is that so unreasonable given we've had 3 years of stable admin and Paul 'relationships' Roos as coach compared to the turmoil in the admin and the coach who came before?

DS the tone of your post 'seemed' to suggest that the previous players hadn't really done anything like this, Sylvia was one who actually did heaps, Aaron Davey another

The kids love Jack Watts, most of the banner kids WANT to run out with him.

As a new dad (9 months today!), it makes me proud that the boys can do stuff like this.

All the best to him and his family. Have a ripper Christmas young man!

Edited by DSP
  • Like 1

I've had the opportunity (blessing) to be on the other side of this from time to time, i.e., seeing/receiving these kids.

I remember one time, a kid came in, must have been in November/December, and in chatting to him someone said "so, what's Santa going to bring you for Christmas?" There was silence, and eventually his father lent over and said "he's not going to make it to Christmas".

Something you never forget.

Great work by the club and the players, though I'm sure this goes on more than we're aware of.

• Like 4