Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Clayton Oliver caught drink driving

Mickey

I think it's extremely unfair on Jack Viney, Steven Stretch and ANB who have turned up to the new years pre-season in perfect shape. All kids about the same age who commit themselves to be as professional as they can be in order to achieve team and personal success. Viney said he chose not to drink in season coz he knows you can't do it and stay injury free. Considering how fit you have to be to play the game this is a committed decision by a young gun. Oliver needs to get fair dinkum. It's a team game, one weak link, lack of trust etc etc.

I say throw the book at him. He turned up to training Monday in poor condition, this is clearly not an isolated incident. Send him away for 8 weeks. Let him train by himself. Tell him he has to meet certain criteria in order to get back in the main group again. 

Sacrifice a season and turn him into a champion.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, special robert said:

When I was his age I was pulled over by a nice policeman in Hoddle st. I was a bit drunk, stoned as well, with a car load of girls (and boys) all happy as Larry.

He said that I should leave the car and that we should all get a taxi home. That was it. 1971.

I know things are different now .

All that year the police in Carlton would stare at us as we produced our drivers licenses...laughing our heads off......tripping on acid. You could see the cops thinking....."they're not drunk....??..young people are weird."

What a load of rubbish this new be good era is.  Paul Van der Ha and Bret Crosswell would agree.

Just a big joke isn't it.

Whilst we verge on a Nanny State , many can be thankful they survived past that warning.

Oh yeah... Then there's those that became statistics.....causual and victims.

• Like 2

All a bit OTT.  Forget about it.  I reckon good on him for being honest.  Mahoney didn't acknowledge this.  Im not saying its right but his parents will give hime the whack around the ears that he needs.  All this 'leadership group will discuss' business about further sanctioning him is a load of shite.  And then making him go and educate against the dangers of drink driving?  That just strikes me as being a little early in presenting yourself as a hypocrite just for the sake of righting a wrong. Plus, audiences aren't stupid, nor are young people who such programs would be aimed at. Carry on Clarry, as you were mate.

As for punishment I would expect him to play the first 2 games in the VFL at a minimum and the leadership group should impose certain markers he has to meet if he's to play any NAB challenge games. The two players I would least like to be facing in his position would be Viney and Jones. They are professionalism personified and I would picture them being [censored] off.

4 minutes ago, deespicable me said:

Send him away for 8 weeks. Let him train by himself. Tell him he has to meet certain criteria in order to get back in the main group again. 

I would be going for the opposite, make him train with someone like Viney. Show him what it really takes to be pushing to be an A-grade AFL midfielder, challenge him to emulate Jacks dedication. This can be a serious opportunity to mould him from being a boy into a man.

• Like 2

Wow

Forgive guys (and girls?)

He must feel like an absolute Dxxx.  I'm sure the attitude of the team will be to embrace and support, not punish... but equally make it clear that next time it is 'bye bye fella'.

Plenty of dxxxheads have come good and won Brownlows and Premierships

He will be a champion

He gets points for being up front with the club and telling them right away what happened.  It's still a bloody stupid thing to have done and not something the club can ignore.  They say the leaders will have a chat.  I'm hoping Lewis is invited to have some input as well.  Roos was very big on Player-Driven culture and standards, and this is where those concepts come into force.  This is their opportunity to make a statement and show that they are serious about those standards.  It doesn't have to be a massive suspension of fine, but it needs to be something that shows they are serious about the standards they hold their teammates to.  I like the idea of an object lesson such as assisting in an emergency room, but I suspect it's more likely to be attending an education program of some sort. 

As for comparing him to Sylvia, I don't think we need to worry.  The kid has serious white-line fever. If we can get him to prepare properly there won't be any problems on the field. 

2 hours ago, Ted Fidge said:

As long as he didn't put mayonnaise on them I'm okay with that.

What's wrong with Mayo in chips?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SaberFang said:

Club took a huge gamble taking Oliver over Parish, considering Parish was basically the sure thing. I think we knew it was high risk but high reward but my blood will boil if we got this one wrong because Oliver can't be disciplined.

Get Lewis on his back for the rest of the preseason and have him leech off his experience. That should straighten him out if he's serious about putting his immense talent to good use. I agree with the sentiment of others that this sort of thing needs to be nipped in the bud now, not in a few years.

You are Kidding ??

Parrish a scrawny outside reciever nothing more ! Oliver has so much more and shapes as a match winning player! 

On what grounds was Parrish a sure thing???? 

On what basis cant Clarry be disciplined??

You are speaking through yer hat!

Right, this latest scenario as played out really does not give any indication of circumstances, readings etc etc

If and I say again IF he hes gone because in minalailist terms he has had a drink then it certainly shouldn't become the hanging offence and calls for we should have drafted Darcy Parrish are absurd!! and Extreme!

FMD

Whilst acknowledging that rules are put into place for a reason, there is no evidence to suggest he was out of control  AND or negligent?

Ok, read the riot act to him, cop a sanction and move on! 

Darcy Parrish!! FMD

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

The punishment , for want of it , should not be footy orientated. He made a personal life faux pas.  Let him visit a hospital, let himtalk to a family bereaved. Let him understand and grow.

Yes, possibly in the great scheme of things it seems marginal but it points to a poor decision. He needs to understand that and change. Thats all

Go Dees

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

What's wrong with Mayo in chips?

If you even need to ask, I feel for you.

Anyone who puts mayo on chips needs to miss 4 rounds of footy, train with Viney, educate youngsters on the dangers of mayo, get shoved around by Lewis, and spend a few Saturday nights at the emergency ward seeing the damage caused by mayo ingestion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

You are Kidding ??

Parrish a scrawny outside reciever nothing more ! Oliver has so much more and shapes as a Match winning player! 

On what Basis cant Clarry be disciplined??

Right, this latest scenario as played out really does not give any indication of circumstances, Readings etec etc

If and I say again IF he hes gone because in minalailist terms he has had a drink then it certainly shouldn't become the hanging offence and Calls for we should have drafted Darcy Parrish are absurd!! And Extreme!

FMD

Whilst acknowledging that rules are put into place for a reason, there is no evidence to suggest he was out of control  AND or negligent?

Darcy Parrish!! FMD

Well bloody said.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

The punishment , for want of it , should not be footy orientated. He made a personal life faux pas.  Let him visit a hospital, let himtalk to a family bereaved. Let him understand and grow.

Yes, possibly in the great scheme of things it seems marginal but it points to a poor decision. He needs to understand that and change. Thats all

Go Dees

You are kidding!! Visit a hospital talk at a bereavement!!

You clearly have no concept of this in the scheme of things! A minor transgression, Cop a wack and move on!

Cheezus! 

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

You are kidding!! Visit a hospital! talk at a bereavment!!

You clearly have no concept of this in the scheme of things! A minor transgression, Cop a wack and move on!

Cheezus! 

Can you read ?

Obviously can't comprehend

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bigred said:

Wow

Forgive guys (and girls?)

He must feel like an absolute Dxxx.  I'm sure the attitude of the team will be to embrace and support, not punish... but equally make it clear that next time it is 'bye bye fella'.

Plenty of dxxxheads have come good and won Brownlows and Premierships

He will be a champion

This is exactly what I'm suggesting i.e. let him know (if he doesn't know already) that he's let a lot of people down and that there is only one final warning.  That tells everyone what is expected and demanded in order to be on our list.

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Can you read ?

Obviously can't comprehend

Yeah, I can read you want him to visit a hospital, talk at a Bereavement is that correct??

Edited by picket fence

2 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

If you even need to ask, I feel for you.

Anyone who puts mayo on chips needs to miss 4 rounds of footy, train with Viney, educate youngsters on the dangers of mayo, get shoved around by Lewis, and spend a few Saturday nights at the emergency ward seeing the damage caused by mayo ingestion.

I feel for you.  You've clearly never experienced chips and mayo done properly.  :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yeah, I can read you want him to visit a hospital, talk at a Bereavement is that correct??

No...i said talk to the bereaved. See. You cant read.

2 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I feel for you.  You've clearly never experienced chips and mayo done properly.  :)

Very true mate! Perhaps I wouldn't go for the MCG chips + masterfoods mayo, but Lord of the Fries + whatever mayo sauce they have there is a different kettle of fish!

8 minutes ago, picket fence said:

You are Kidding ??

Parrish a scrawny outside reciever nothing more ! Oliver has so much more and shapes as a match winning player! 

Parrish was always a sure thing.  He's an inside/outside goalscoring mid with first class disposal on both sides.  The only knock on him is that he's a little short.  I think you're letting your opinion of the Bombers cloud your judgement on this one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

No...i said talk to the bereaved. See. You cant read.

Oh I see, like a guilt complex thing??

Nup, not the right way to go IMV!

Edited by picket fence

9 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Parrish was always a sure thing.  He's an inside/outside goalscoring mid with first class disposal on both sides.  The only knock on him is that he's a little short.  I think you're letting your opinion of the Bombers cloud your judgement on this one. 

No I'm not!! Parrish not what we needed or need since! Too short, too slight and frankly, will ceiling pretty early  IMV!

Give me Clarry anyday!!

30 minutes ago, picket fence said:

You are Kidding ??

On what basis cant Clarry be disciplined??

Right, this latest scenario as played out really does not give any indication of circumstances, readings etc etc

If and I say again IF he hes gone because in minalailist terms he has had a drink then it certainly shouldn't become the hanging offence and calls for we should have drafted Darcy Parrish are absurd!! and Extreme!

FMD

Darcy Parrish!! FMD

While i think Oliver is very talented and will be a very good player for us 

RIGHT NOW Parish is ahead of Oliver, he's a very well rounded player, wins his own ball, uses it well and held his own in a very good team, if he was OOC 18 clubs would be keen, not the same with Oliver. 

but that's not the arguement here, what Oliver did let himself, his family and the club down and i'm sure he'll cop some sort of punishment, maybe miss the start of the season, and move on to hopefully a goood decade at the DEES

Until Melbourne release the statement and we find out more, it's a bit hard to judge. I'll admit that I was angry when I first heard about it on the radio today, but if it was a low reading, under .02, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, cop his whack from the Leadership group and that's the end of it.

On the other hand, if it was a high reading and he really should have known that he had alcohol in his system, he deserves to play the first few games for Casey.

Hopefully this is a one off and turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, deespicable me said:

I think it's extremely unfair on Jack Viney, Steven Stretch and ANB who have turned up to the new years pre-season in perfect shape. All kids about the same age who commit themselves to be as professional as they can be in order to achieve team and personal success. Viney said he chose not to drink in season coz he knows you can't do it and stay injury free. Considering how fit you have to be to play the game this is a committed decision by a young gun. Oliver needs to get fair dinkum. It's a team game, one weak link, lack of trust etc etc.

I say throw the book at him. He turned up to training Monday in poor condition, this is clearly not an isolated incident. Send him away for 8 weeks. Let him train by himself. Tell him he has to meet certain criteria in order to get back in the main group again. 

Sacrifice a season and turn him into a champion.

Agree.

• Like 2

He's still a kid. And he strikes me as a 'wear one's heart on sleeve type'.

I reckon he absolutely loves the club and he yearns the respect from all other players on the list especially the more senior ones. He's not a Tom Scully robotic type - and I like him for that.

He'll learn from this. He'll be determined to make it up to the player group next year. 

2 hours ago, pitmaster said:

When I think of the things I was up to at his age and later I can't judge him. If it was in season that would be different but as bad boy behaviour goes this is at the lighter end.

Agree about the judgement vs what it was like 'in our day'.  I got away with some very risky stuff, but in hindsight it was just an unseen car / pedestrian away from disaster.

What is really the yardstick is the norm for today, not a generation ago.  My sons and daughters (now 21 - 26 yo) just don't drive if they have had a drink, or they plan ahead to get a lift if they are going to drink.  It has become the societal standard of those who accept the societal rules.

I don't want the book thrown at Clarrie.  But however it happens, I want the lesson to be learned - and for that lesson to affect his future behaviour.  For his sake, and those he could affect.

I trust the club to make the right call and to achieve the right result.

• Like 6