Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demonland Crystal Ball 2017: Your predictions for next season

P-man

Given peeps are placing their 2017 predictions in the 2016 thread, it's time for a new thread.

Who are your surprise packets and big improvers for 2017?

What other predictions do you have relating to MFC's performance, results, anything (except injuries you jinxing ar$ehole)?

The post containing the best prediction or predictions (quality being relative to quantity) wins and will succeed 2016 winner @wretched.sylph

Predictions close Friday 17 February.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

Oliver to become one of the games top 5 clearance players.

Angus Brayshaw and Sam Frost be our biggest improvers.

Jake Melksham to silence the doubters by round 6, before fading late in the season.

Other stuff that i cant think of now but will claim as mine later in the season.

Gawn to go down with  knee early in the season (Sorry P-man, last years incredible injury run cant possibly be repeated)

Very tough this early.  We don't even have a final list for 2017 yet.  This is what I'd like to see.  I wouldn't call them predictions. 

I would like to see Joel Smith crack into the senior side later in the season (hell, early if he can). 

The Weed getting more games.

Hulett to debut.

Incremental improvement from the young brigade.

Petracca to fix his set shots.  

The Dees to play finals. 

12 minutes ago, ding said:

Oliver to become one of the games top 5 clearance players.

Angus Brayshaw and Sam Frost be our biggest improvers.

Jake Melksham to silence the doubters by round 6, before fading late in the season.

Other stuff that i cant think of now but will claim as mine later in the season.

Gawn to go down with  knee early in the season (Sorry P-man, last years incredible injury run cant possibly be repeated)

Hit the like button halfway through this post, got to the end, and felt disgusted with myself for having done so.

It is a point though. Misson told us to give him three years and I'm hoping our incredible run was not just luck, but the result of those three years.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ding said:

I blame myself. A sure way of getting someone to do something is telling them they can't do it :)

• Like 3

B&F winner: Max Gawn

Smokie: Jayden Hunt

AA mix: Jesse Hogan, Max Gawn, Jack Viney, Jordan Lewis, Jayden Hunt

Most improved: Angus Brayshaw, Christian Salem

Ladder position 7th 14 wins biggest scalp =Sydney Swans

Biggest surprise: Jack Trengove gets back to his best and plays 15 senior games

• Like 5

Salem to play the bulk of the year in the Magoo's. I hope I'm wrong but unlike others, I'm still not convinced he's going to be a best 22 player next year, or the years beyond.

Hunt will go to an whole other level.

Vince will get rubbed out for striking on 3 occasions.

Trengove will play regular senior footy.

We'll Finish 4th.

Play GWS in the Granny.

Put our 13th in the cupboard.

Party.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 10

We finish 5th or 6th with 14 or 15 wins.

On QB, we annihilate the Pies which sees Buckley sacked and a board challenge that ousts Eddie as president.

Oliver, Hunt and either Weideman or Joel Smith have amazing seasons.

We win at least one final.

Watts wins Best & Fairest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abe said:

B&F winner: Max Gawn

Smokie: Jayden Hunt

AA mix: Jesse Hogan, Max Gawn, Jack Viney, Jordan Lewis, Jayden Hunt

Most improved: Angus Brayshaw, Christian Salem

Ladder position 7th 14 wins biggest scalp =Sydney Swans

Biggest surprise: Jack Trengove gets back to his best and plays 15 senior games

Trengove?? Who's postion will he take and on what line?? Eh?

6 hours ago, ding said:

Not sure about Gawn, but agree that last year's run with injury can't be repeated.

On the other hand, it did play havoc with the seasons of Brayshaw and Salem, not to mention The Prince, and on a developmental note, JKH, so were weren't entirely spared.

But yes, I'm sure someone will go down early in the season with something. Fingers crossed.

Unbeaten against the axis of evil ( Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond ) 

Flogging one of Norf or Saints. 

• Like 3

Melksham turns out to be a flop, plays early but is replaced in side by Bugg or Harmes and cannot regain regular football. 

Calls for a more defensive game style after losing a really high scoring match. 

T McDonald to be All Australian 

Weideman to be our only rising star nomination 

we draft Hamish Brayshaw with our first pick in the draft 

• Like 1

Predictions for 2017

Ladder Position: 9th - Make no mistake, we're certainly on the rise. But even with the additions of Lewis, Hibberd and Melksham still think our team is about 30-40 games experience off reaching the top 8. Wouldn't complain if we do though!

Best & Fairest: Jack Viney - It's clear that the coaches absolutely love him. I still think that there's quite a bit he can improve on in his game but I'm predicting that it'll be back-to-back for Viney in 2017.

Runner Up: Dom Tyson - Dom played some fantastic footy during the second half of the year and was probably our most consistent performer for a large part of this section of the season, resulting in placing fourth in 2016. He has this uncanny knack of kicking crucial goals as well. I'm thinking it could be a close one between Dom and Jack in the race for the Bluey next year.

Leading Goalkicker: Jesse Hogan (58) - No real surprises here, and 58 seems a suitable number for a kid about to enter his third real season of AFL with the . I think we'll see a more consistent Hogan next year as well considering he's now signed on and doesn't have to deal with the constant associated speculation.

Who Goes To The Next Level?: Angus Brayshaw - I couldn't help but feel sorry for Angus this year. Around midway through the season, nothing seemed to go his way. Despite that, he still showed glimpses that every bit as good as what we saw back in 2015. With another pre-season under his belt, I'm tipping that Angus will have a breakout 2017. 

All-Australians: Jack Viney - Viney looked nearly a lock for the squad around a third through 2016. It was around when he broke his knuckle during the Port game that he fell a bit out of form that probably cost him his spot in the initial 40. I'm not going to lie, I think Viney is going to have an absolute belter of a season in 2017. 

Max Gawn - Back to back for Max? Why not? He seems positively unrivalled when he's at his peak. However, I think opposition teams are now aware of him and are more likely to put more work into stopping him and the god like influence he has around the ground.

Best Rising Star Chance/Best Young Player: Sam Weideman - I'd hardly expect him to win, but if he plays 10-12+ games next year, there's a very high likelihood he'll pick up a nomination. At this stage, I'd tip that he's going to be our only nomination.

Suprise Round 1 Selection: Joel Smith - Having seen this kid play once or twice in the VFL, it's clear he has something special about him. He has pace, good skills and can take a great mark like his old man. I remember someone on the forum likening him to an Easton Wood type player. It's a long shot, but he is certainly capable.

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 4

Max could be the cagiest ruckmen the game has seen for a while , so i won't put the mozz on him. There is  no doubt he will need support, and by the same token he will vary his own game as well to not be predictable.

I'm in the Frost and Hulett corner, big blokes who will be pushed to damage.

I also think the sky is the limit with us. Fitness, speed and tough are my hopes. This Coach could be an absolute revelation and i'm thinking and backing top four.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, picket fence said:

Trengove?? Who's postion will he take and on what line?? Eh?

It's not about a best 22 on paper, that changes every week, it's about the 22 players who can play their role the best and i am backing Trenners to be in that mix for most of the year, he was in our top 25 players for a good amount of last year which was a huge effort.

• Like 4