Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A Day at the Races

Toorak

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

It’s starting fellas. The overseas raiders are on the way soon.

https://apple.news/AWeZHNnhpSN6zTTuvCOMSRA

Following the overseas racing a lot more closely this year has made me realise just how much of an advantage the overseas trainers/connections have over their Aussie counterparts DZ.

There are truckloads of European horses bred to stay (esp in the UK & Ireland) and when you look at our racing we really concentrate on breeding sprinters & milers.  Thus,  a large loophole has been created.  The amount of lucrative staying races held in Europe is immense compared to what is on offer here.

And that loophole is even bigger for the overseas 3YO stayers - they get a big pull in the weights due to the entry conditions of the Cups.  And because of the relaxing of the quarantine conditions (2 weeks overseas & 2 weeks here) it's any wonder that we're now going to see an increase of overseas runners.  The horses are effectively spelled whilst in quarantine.

It doesn't bother me personally as I'm more attracted to betting on WFA or SW races over the 1200m - 2000m anyway.  I'm also a great believer in growing the sport so the more overseas horses,  the better,  as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Had a mate win 7k from a 2 pick multi on the NRL on Sunday. 

He had to pick the right score for each of the 4 teams with a 10 point buffer (all 31-40) and nailed it with a $5 bet at odds of 1394-1.  He's done similar once before with an Ice Hockey multi

Can ya believe it!  Well he did send me a snapshot of the winning ticket.  Just incredible!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Macca said:

He had to pick the right score for each of the 4 teams with a 10 point buffer (all 31-40) and nailed it with a $5 bet at odds of 1394-1.  He's done similar once before with an Ice Hockey multi

Can ya believe it!  Well he did send me a snapshot of the winning ticket.  Just incredible!

Love it. Incredible.....$5 at those odds, what a collect. I’m trying something similar this weekend then.....you’ve inspired me Macca.

I just got home and the last thing I heard on the car radio was Chautauqua didn’t jump again. Is that correct?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Love it. Incredible.....$5 at those odds, what a collect. I’m trying something similar this weekend then.....you’ve inspired me Macca.

I just got home and the last thing I heard on the car radio was Chautauqua didn’t jump again. Is that correct?

I'm doing baseball multi's this week so my mate has inspired me!  Inspiration all round DZ haha  I think it was 34-1 in one leg and 41-1 in the other leg.  Obviously he was banking on close,  high scoring games in both legs and up it came.  Amazing.

As for Chautauqua,  I've come to terms with the happenings ... I was listening to the trial live on RSN and I just knew he wouldn't jump.  They might bring in the horse-whisperer from the States but if he never races again,  so be it.  The horse belted out a fabulous record and will retire as a champion of the turf. 

Let's face it,  they retire gun 3YO's on a constant basis and the grey flash is now an 8 year old.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Appearently so. Well hes won 9m soooooo.......The horse whisperer offers his services appearently but hes very expensive.....He fixed Pakistan Star who used to pull up in the middle of a race! Hasn't done it since.

Seems like the owners are a just a bit greedy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Not sure I understand exactly what the bet was....exact score, but 10 point buffer?

Great to see everyone getting into multis......love it. Maybe we do a Day at the Races multi before spring settles in

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Not sure I understand exactly what the bet was....exact score, but 10 point buffer?

Great to see everyone getting into multis......love it. Maybe we do a Day at the Races multi before spring settles in

Not the exact score Wadda ... picking a bracket with a 10 point buffer (31-40)

The scorelines were -  Cronulla 32  Manly 33 & Penrith 40  Canberra 31.  So my mate picked all 4 teams to finish with a score in the 31-40 bracket.  In other words a 4 x 31-40 score brackets for both teams in 2 NRL matches.

He didn't even have to pick the winners either - just nominate the right 4 brackets.  Seems simple & easy in hindsight but what are the chances?

As for the team multi until the Spring kicks in,  I'm in.  Do we look for some value because I like the -1.5 or -2.5 line in certain baseball matches?

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Macca said:

Not the exact score Wadda ... the right score with a 10 point buffer (31-40)

The scorelines were -  Cronulla 32  Manly 33 & Penrith 40  Canberra 31.  So my mate picked all 4 teams to finish with a score in the 31-40 bracket.  In other words a 4 x 31-40 score brackets for both teams in 2 NRL matches.

He didn't even have to pick the winners either - just nominate the right 4 brackets.  Seems simple & easy in hindsight but what are the chances?

As for the team multi until the Spring kicks in,  I'm in.  Do we look for some value because I like the -1.5 or -2.5 line in certain baseball matches?

Well, well Macca. When you mentioned baseball  multis in your reply to me I was going to ask which type of bets you like. I do one baseball multi a week and I always go the -1.5 or -2.5 like you. There’s terrific value in those line markets. 

I occasionally go the winner/total over-under markets in a multi. I limit that to 3 games. Have hit a couple at 25-1. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Macca said:

Not the exact score Wadda ... picking a bracket with a 10 point buffer (31-40)

As for the team multi until the Spring kicks in,  I'm in.  Do we look for some value because I like the -1.5 or -2.5 line in certain baseball matches?

Ah ok got it. Might have a go at that.....beginners luck and I dont know much about Rugby...ha..

Ok I was thinking best 2 teams over a weekend. Margin spread ie Melbourne 1-39 & Storm +13 for  example. Or some thing like either team under 15.5 of which there were 5 results last weekend....that gives us a 6 leg multi which you can take all or just some, whichever way you want to put it on. By doing margin 6 leg for 10 bucks you can often get a payout over 1k. I've done it a few times, but I think using the collective talents of the team might work..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Well, well Macca. When you mentioned baseball  multis in your reply to me I was going to ask which type of bets you like. I do one baseball multi a week and I always go the -1.5 or -2.5 like you. There’s terrific value in those line markets. 

I occasionally go the winner/total over-under markets in a multi. I limit that to 3 games. Have hit a couple at 25-1. 

-1.5 is the safer option but the amount of legs is the key.   I've tried 5 or 6 legs but that's probably 1 or 2 legs too many.  3 legs is the smart play but we get greedy don't we DZ!

Golden rule is getting on the superior home team with a strong pitching advantage against the weaker away team.  MLB.com always has the pitching match-ups available.  And Ladbrokes offers the odds boost and then it's all systems go.

In the summer I prefer the NBA with the Half time/Full time option or Q/Q/Q/Q (go to whoa) ... but it's just the odd bet with me.  I've won a few big collects in the past but never 7k!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Ah ok got it. Might have a go at that.....beginners luck and I dont know much about Rugby...ha..

Ok I was thinking best 2 teams over a weekend. Margin spread ie Melbourne 1-39 & Storm +13 for  example. Or some thing like either team under 15.5 of which there were 5 results last weekend....that gives us a 6 leg multi which you can take all or just some, whichever way you want to put it on. By doing margin 6 leg for 10 bucks you can often get a payout over 1k. I've done it a few times, but I think using the collective talents of the team might work..

I'm no good at footy or NRL & the Super Rugby season is over so I'll nominate a baseball game that will be played Saturday or Sunday AEST.  The baseball odds aren't up until late in the arvo on the day prior so it might be a bit of a tight squeeze getting on.  The dividend is usually in the $2 - $3 range.  If we get all our tips in by Friday night we should be ok.

I'm no good at soccer as well although I did get a 7 leg soccer multi up a few years ago that paid quite well ... no luck since though.  NBA in the summer is my preference as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Macca said:

I'm no good at footy or NRL & the Super Rugby season is over so I'll nominate a baseball game that will be played Saturday or Sunday AEST.  The baseball odds aren't up until late in the arvo on the day prior so it might be a bit of a tight squeeze getting on.  The dividend is usually in the $2 - $3 range.  If we get all our tips in by Friday night we should be ok.

I'm no good at soccer as well although I did get a 7 leg soccer multi up a few years ago that paid quite well ... no luck since though.  NBA in the summer is my preference as well.

Well you dont have to be a genius at footy to know that Melbourne was always gonna beat the Gold Coast by 40+ for example, but it was never gonna pay. Some games are just obvious. Since Gill had his coaches meeting 6 weeks ago, we seem to have gone back to a more normal game of football.

I think what i like is that some games, some people are better at picking than others. As you say Macca, Baseball i would be hopeless at, but if there is a game that is obvious to you then... thats what we want. Im fine with the Friday night for a sport if thats the way it is. Would be good to get them in by 7pm in case there is a Friday night game somebody likes. Also if Binman wants to throw in 2 sports as well, then we would have 8 to pick from.

I have no issue with the sport, hell you can even make it a racehorse if you want? What im looking for is the smart option. Try and pick a combination over a few sports, that 1 person would struggle to get. Everyone has their preferences.

I actually think that the 6 leg multi is the perfect number. Ive done it a number of times, with the highest result 2400 from 10. (that included a kick after the siren which missed from close range to make the margin). A win like that actually pays for about 8 years of matches @ 10 bucks a round! So your playing with house money for a few years.

There are also combinations where you can pay more money and miss 1 leg getting up. Although to be honest i dont think it ever pays that well.

Am i on the right track?? Im open to all suggestions and we can always tweek it as we go along. Keep the thoughts coming in and see if we can get one up for this weekend.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Well you dont have to be a genius at footy to know that Melbourne was always gonna beat the Gold Coast by 40+ for example, but it was never gonna pay. Some games are just obvious. Since Gill had his coaches meeting 6 weeks ago, we seem to have gone back to a more normal game of football.

I think what i like is that some games, some people are better at picking than others. As you say Macca, Baseball i would be hopeless at, but if there is a game that is obvious to you then... thats what we want. Im fine with the Friday night for a sport if thats the way it is. Would be good to get them in by 7pm in case there is a Friday night game somebody likes. Also if Binman wants to throw in 2 sports as well, then we would have 8 to pick from.

I have no issue with the sport, hell you can even make it a racehorse if you want? What im looking for is the smart option. Try and pick a combination over a few sports, that 1 person would struggle to get. Everyone has their preferences.

I actually think that the 6 leg multi is the perfect number. Ive done it a number of times, with the highest result 2400 from 10. (that included a kick after the siren which missed from close range to make the margin). A win like that actually pays for about 8 years of matches @ 10 bucks a round! So your playing with house money for a few years.

There are also combinations where you can pay more money and miss 1 leg getting up. Although to be honest i dont think it ever pays that well.

Am i on the right track?? Im open to all suggestions and we can always tweek it as we go along. Keep the thoughts coming in and see if we can get one up for this weekend.

I’m happy to throw one ‘special’ for the weekend  from any sport. We could have one each and each to their own to add more legs.

4 is a good starting number for a multi, even then that’s tricky. I have my ‘Lotto’ bets starting now as the soccer seasons get under way.

Without fail I will put all French League 2 games early Sat mornings to go over 2.5 goals. Odds for the 8 legs range from $200-$500 in odds. I’ll slap a fiver and hope to wake up with a healthy account. Not much thought in this strategy. 

I like my over 2.5 goals in all English leagues too, I have my standard 4 legger on Saturday ranging from the Premier league down to League 2. 

I’ll get my selection in on Friday mornings as I finish work after 7pm on Fridays. Most likely it will be one soccer game from the weekend to go over....you guessed it.....2.5 goals. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

You go with whatever feels best Wadda ... I'm happy to just play along.  If you want 2 different tips then I may end up going with 2 baseball tips.  I usually get most right in a baseball multi but only ever seem to get a collect if I plumb for 3 picks only. 

Just to clarify ... the baseball odds don't appear until late arvo on the day prior to the games being played (AEST) In other words,  a Saturday 9am game's odds won't appear until about 5pm on the Friday and a Sunday 9am game's odds won't appear until about 5pm on a Saturday. 

That's why I suggested that we have all our tips in by Friday evening.  In that case my baseball tip or tips would be for the Saturday game or games (AEST)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Macca said:

You go with whatever feels best Wadda ... I'm happy to just play along.  If you want 2 different tips then I may end up going with 2 baseball tips.  I usually get most right in a baseball multi but only ever seem to get a collect if I plumb for 3 picks only. 

Just to clarify ... the baseball odds don't appear until late arvo on the day prior to the games being played (AEST) In other words,  a Saturday 9am game's odds won't appear until about 5pm on the Friday and a Sunday 9am game's odds won't appear until about 5pm on a Saturday. 

That's why I suggested that we have all our tips in by Friday evening.  In that case my baseball tip or tips would be for the Saturday game or games (AEST)

Ok Macca, I see. Sat 5pm is getting a bit late as many possible legs would have run by then i guess. Are those late baseball odds on Ladbrokes or TAB or both? Could you possibly get 2 legs in on a Friday night? If not then 1 would do i guess and throw in a race horse even for a place.......5pm Friday is plenty of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I’m happy to throw one ‘special’ for the weekend  from any sport. We could have one each and each to their own to add more legs.

4 is a good starting number for a multi, even then that’s tricky. I have my ‘Lotto’ bets starting now as the soccer seasons get under way.

Without fail I will put all French League 2 games early Sat mornings to go over 2.5 goals. Odds for the 8 legs range from $200-$500 in odds. I’ll slap a fiver and hope to wake up with a healthy account. Not much thought in this strategy. 

I like my over 2.5 goals in all English leagues too, I have my standard 4 legger on Saturday ranging from the Premier league down to League 2. 

I’ll get my selection in on Friday mornings as I finish work after 7pm on Fridays. Most likely it will be one soccer game from the weekend to go over....you guessed it.....2.5 goals. 

I would like 2 selections from each person to start off with, just to see how that goes. I put many selections on myself generally, but i like  other peoples selections, its a bit more inclusive and more fun. You are pretty good with NRL for example DZ if the soccer legs are a bit thin.

If you dont like much sport legs, well maybe throw in a decent horse to run a place perhaps?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I would like 2 selections from each person to start off with, just to see how that goes. I put many selections on myself generally, but i like  other peoples selections, its a bit more inclusive and more fun. You are pretty good with NRL for example DZ if the soccer legs are a bit thin.

If you dont like much sport legs, well maybe throw in a decent horse to run a place perhaps?

No problem Wadda. I like sharing ideas, happy to go with 2 selections as well. All I do is constantly look at odds approaching the weekend looking for value. Also, we are $1.50 favourite to beat the Giants in R23. Odds are out already. ?

Speaking of the NRL, Penrith have sacked their coach 4 weeks from finals.? They are sitting 5th and probably a 5% to miss out. Wowsers!!!

Imagine if Goody was sacked 3 weeks out.....

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I would probably just do 2 Saturday baseball games (AEST) if we have 2 tips.

And as previously discussed I reckon we need a separate thread for the sports betting ... a clever thread title would be better than 'sports betting' as a title as well Wadda. We don't want to draw undue attention. 

I just reckon we'll want to keep up the joint sports multi once we hit the spring and this thread is better suited if it's predominantly about the thoroughbreds.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Macca said:

And as previously discussed I reckon we need a separate thread for the sports betting ... a clever thread title would be better than 'sports betting' as a title as well Wadda. We don't want to draw undue attention. 

Sounds good Macca. Maybe we can get some suggestions going. 

I’ll start the ball rolling. 

1. Pub Talk.

2. Draw A Line 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Sounds good Macca. Maybe we can get some suggestions going. 

I’ll start the ball rolling. 

1. Pub Talk.

2. Draw A Line 

A Line in the Sand?

Line Dancing? haha

• Haha 2

In other news ...

Crownbet/William Hill soon to be known as EasyBet will have free access to the Sky Racing channels.

Sky cover NSW & QLD racing and the racing from overseas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we really need a new thread just to put a multi on tho? The good thing about this thread is it covers a lot about horse racing and other sports in general. When the Spring kicks in the sport multi will die down i reckon....once the footy finishes....

But hey ill go with whatever......A Night at the Opera?

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Haha 2