Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A Day at the Races

Toorak

4 minutes ago, binman said:

Look like it might favor horses on speed. Which is frustrating as for once i didn't put a weighting on on speed horses as i thought with the track chopping up it might suit horse coming wide and from behind. Which it still might but i don't think yuo want to be too far back, like Flit was. Was going to back Miami Bound but ended up going longer on Silent Sovereign (influenced by Mick Sharkie), who was too far back. Frustrating  

I took Miami Bound, so pretty happy with that run ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

After much procrastinating took Dalisan and Brandenburg, so happy with that. Hard day though.

Good work, I backed Brandenburg the Win, not all is lost, TAB has bonus bet offers for the first 6 races at Flem and Rosehill for second and third. A couple of bonus bets back already.

Dalasan very strong in the last 100m, thought I had the winner there.

• Like 2

Melody Belle Race 4 has won 9 group 1s and is the top NZ horse. Likes the ground. I also like Aristia VRC Oaks winner from last year and likes the softer tracks. Barrier 1 is tricky, but Wiliams did exactly that last week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Melody Belle Race 4 has won 9 group 1s and is the top NZ horse. Likes the ground. I also like Aristia VRC Oaks winner from last year and likes the softer tracks. Barrier 1 is tricky, but Wiliams did exactly that last week.

Told ya !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This week's strike rate (which includes Wadda's mid week Bendigo Cup pick (Top of the Range) & 'GtB's 'Exceedence' tip.

8: 4 - 1 - 0

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Gees Koldings win in the Golden Eagle was super impressive! Was held up multiple times for a run, nearly trotted on the horse heels in front before sliding through and saluting... Great ride by Boss. 

I'm off to the Peninsula cup tomorrow at Mornington so hopefully get a couple winners ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JV7 said:

Gees Koldings win in the Golden Eagle was super impressive! Was held up multiple times for a run, nearly trotted on the horse heels in front before sliding through and saluting... Great ride by Boss. 

I'm off to the Peninsula cup tomorrow at Mornington so hopefully get a couple winners ?

And I'm having a go at the big 'Breeders Cup' meeting overnight (Santa Anita) and then will look for the value Moreira & Purton runners at Sha Tin tomorrow.

But overnight at Santa Anita there is a fabulous array of G1 races (9 in all) and it really is the creme de la creme of the American & European horses going for glory. 

Helps if you follow the overseas Group racing JV but because I do take a keen interest I find evaluating the form to be a not too difficult exercise.  The familiar names jump out at you.  Small win bets with a few doubles on the shorties is the go.

For those that are interested the form guide,  odds & tips are all readily available at www.racingpost.com.  And all the local betting agencies allow for at least win,  place & multi betting on the meeting.

For what its worth here are a few of my picks

R7 No.1 Iridessa

R8 No.4 Mitole

R9 No.6 Got Stormy

R10 No.4 Midnight Bisou

R11 No.10 Old Persian

And I'll post up the Melbourne Cup field soon enough.  Looks to be anyone's race this year though.  I'm just going to box 6 in trifecta and hope for the best!

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Macca said:

And I'm having a go at the big 'Breeders Cup' meeting overnight (Santa Anita) and then will look for the value Moreira & Purton runners at Sha Tin tomorrow.

But overnight at Santa Anita there is a fabulous array of G1 races (9 in all) and it really is the creme de la creme of the American & European horses going for glory. 

Helps if you follow the overseas Group racing JV but because I do take a keen interest I find evaluating the form to be a not too difficult exercise.  The familiar names jump out at you.  Small win bets with a few doubles on the shorties is the go.

For those that are interested the form guide,  odds & tips are all readily available at www.racingpost.com.  And all the local betting agencies allow for at least win,  place & multi betting on the meeting.

R7 No.1 Iridessa

R8 No.4 Mitoze

R9 No.6 Got Stormy

R10 No.4 Midnight Bisou

R11 No.10 Old Persian

And I'll post up the Melbourne Cup field soon enough.  Looks to be anyone's race this year though.  I'm just going to box 6 in trifecta and hope for the best!

Sounds good to me Macca. Never bet much internationally but might have to have a dabble in the morning on the trip down to pass the time ?

Edited by JV7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

R7 No.1 Iridessa

R8 No.4 Mitoze

R9 No.6 Got Stormy

R10 No.4 Midnight Bisou

R11 No.10 Old Persian

So Moriera is ridding Sha Tin tonight, then on a plane i guess.......lets hope his jetlag factor is low. If it was me i would probably turn up at Caulfield!

Yes i think you might be right, with the rain and slower track brings all the raiders into it. Barrier draw is now done Constantinople got 7 and Mer de Glace 2. As for the aussie runners, Surprise Baby (NZ, but we will claim it) got 20 and Finche 4,  Youngstar 9. I think Mer de Glace will start fav.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JV7 said:

Sounds good to me Macca. Never bet much internationally but might have to have a dabble in the morning on the trip down to pass the time ?

And if all 5 of my picks salute the drinks are on me!

Reckon 2 or 3 might get up but I'm hoping they will all get into the finish (obviously)

I started getting into overseas racing mainly because I don't like betting on non Group racing.  I prefer to have the class on my side so during our winter months and for days like the Breeders Cup and other such big days (Royal Ascot,  British Champions Day and the l'Arc Meetings etc) I'm all over it.

It's not for everyone but it is great racing all the same.  The best of the best offers great value too (if you can find the winners)

Here's the 'Santa Anita' Breeders Cup Card courtesy of RacingPost.com

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Unable to copy & paste a screenshot of the Melbourne Cup field but here are a couple of handy links anyway.  I'll try again later but someone else might have better luck re copying up a screenshot. 

Melbourne Cup Field,  Form & Odds (Racenet)

Melbourne Cup Odds & Evaluation (JustHorseRacing)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Best Bet Strike Rate

This Week  8: 4 - 1 - 0 (and 2 of 3 that missed were almost sure things - go figure!)

Last Week  6: 3 - 0 - 0

Well done to Gorg,  GtB,  DZ & Wadda for getting their tips over the line.  As for the rest of us ... better luck next time!

Australian Group Races

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

Best Bet Strike Rate

This Week  8: 4 - 1 - 0 (and 2 of 3 that missed were almost sure things - go figure!)

Last Week  6: 3 - 0 - 0

Well done to Gorg,  GtB,  DZ & Wadda for getting their tips over the line.  As for the rest of us ... better luck next time!

Australian Group Races

I actually did ok today, snaring both Quaddies in Melb & Sydney and a few multis, with some going into the Cup. A friend is a part owner in Warning, so hes pretty happy tonight. Im annoyed my best did not get amongst it since i had a good day. Thems the breaks i guess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I actually did ok today, snaring both Quaddies in Melb & Sydney and a few multis, with some going into the Cup. A friend is a part owner in Warning, so hes pretty happy tonight. Im annoyed my best did not get amongst it since i had a good day. Thems the breaks i guess.

I left 'Warning' out but kept looking at the horse thinking that it was going to ruin my strategy.  Same for 'Mizzy' in the Golden Eagle. 

Ah what could have been but you can't include everything that you might fancy.  Warning ran tremendously well too and was a more than worthy winner of the Derby.  Nice quaddie dividend at Flemington all things considered Wadda.

Kolding is some kind of horse too.  Both are geldings so they'll race on.  Warning looks a cup horse whilst Kolding is a true miler but might get the mile and a quarter.  Runs quick too!  Would have been close to the track record I'd say.  Arcadia Queen was the disappointment as was Brutal. 

I ended up just below break even but went close to winning quite a bit.  That's the beauty of horse racing though ... the chance to win big is always there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

I left 'Warning' out but kept looking at the horse thinking that it was going to ruin my strategy.  Same for 'Mizzy' in the Golden Eagle. 

Ah what could have been but you can't include everything that you might fancy.  Warning ran tremendously well too and was a more than worthy winner of the Derby.  Nice quaddie dividend at Flemington all things considered Wadda.

Kolding is some kind of horse too.  Both are geldings so they'll race on.  Warning looks a cup horse whilst Kolding is a true miler but might get the mile and a quarter.  Runs quick too!  Would have been close to the track record I'd say.  Arcadia Queen was the disappointment as was Brutal. 

I ended up just below break even but went close to winning quite a bit.  That's the beauty of horse racing though ... the chance to win big is always there. 

Yeah i left out Mizzy and cost me the trifecta. I got a few winners from the Get On show on Ch 68....first time ive really watched it. Those guys are very good.

I think the wet track threw everyone a curve ball, we got a lot of rain. My rain guage here said 22mm

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah i left out Mizzy and cost me the trifecta. I got a few winners from the Get On show on Ch 68....first time ive really watched it. Those guys are very good.

I think the wet track threw everyone a curve ball, we got a lot of rain. My rain guage here said 22mm

Yep,  a good track might have seen a few of the more fancied runners get into the finish or even win. 

I was keen on Flit,  Zoutori & Shadow Hero but all 3 just couldn't make up the ground from the back.  Bivouac is another who struggles a bit when the going is a Soft7 or worse.  Where as Exceedence likes it wet. 

They still ran good times in the sprint races though so the better horses won on the day.  No real excuses as we knew the conditions early on. 

Warning & Kolding are the 2 standouts for me.  Melody Belle as well as Exceedence were both excellent and the connections of Pierata picked up an extra $750k along with the $580k first prize for winning the Redzel Stakes.  That $750k was up for any Everest runner that ran in the Redzel Stakes and won. 

Nice work if you can get it!

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JV7 said:

You got the first one Macca... Sadly I missed the jump!!!

2 x wins and 2 x 2nds out of the 5.  Got a nice collect on Iridessa but the 12k multi didn't salute!  In front though and the racing was terrific.

Next stop overseas in the next couple of months is up in Japan (1 × big G1 every Sunday until late Dec) & Hong Kong (Sun Nov 17th & Sun Dec 8th with 3 or 4 group races on each day)

But some of us here have a dabble at the WA summer carnival at Ascot through late Nov and all of Dec (although the first port of call is nearly always Willie Pike with those big races over there)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

So Moriera is ridding Sha Tin tonight, then on a plane i guess.......lets hope his jetlag factor is low. If it was me i would probably turn up at Caulfield!

Yes i think you might be right, with the rain and slower track brings all the raiders into it. Barrier draw is now done Constantinople got 7 and Mer de Glace 2. As for the aussie runners, Surprise Baby (NZ, but we will claim it) got 20 and Finche 4,  Youngstar 9. I think Mer de Glace will start fav.

Well you are the 'Caulfield Correspondent' so that would be expected Wadda! 

And there are only 2 Australian bred horses in the Cup field (Vow And Declare & Youngstar) but Vow And Declare has got a real shot at Cup glory if we're using the Caulfield Cup as a guide.  

Here's Stephen Brassel's runner-by-runner guide to the Melbourne Cup

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2