Jump to content

whers_jacka_now

Melbourne v Bulldogs All-Stars Women's match

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, whers_jacka_now said:

I think I am in love with Kaitlyn Ashmore. I ended spending half the game googling her and missed most of the last 2 quarters. No wonder women love watching the AFL. A whole new slant on the game.

421078-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Careful mate, you will be called out for spotting that one of the girls is hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, faultydet said:

I would like to have had Harris. She is fantastic.

This is the best of the best playing for 2 teams. Once the talent is spread out it won't be nearly as good to watch.

This game is a good spectacle though.

I watch the women's league quite a bit. The Darebin Falcons are a seriously good side and dominate the other teams. I think that the league will be a better spectacle because the talent is going to be spread around. I am hoping that they are given a few years to build the competition and that they get the support they will need, like GWS and the Suns. My biggest concern is that they are not medically insured by the clubs which is disgraceful. The match late last year saw two players do ACLs and one end up with bruised kidneys. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Samael said:

I watch the women's league quite a bit. The Darebin Falcons are a seriously good side and dominate the other teams. I think that the league will be a better spectacle because the talent is going to be spread around. I am hoping that they are given a few years to build the competition and that they get the support they will need, like GWS and the Suns. My biggest concern is that they are not medically insured by the clubs which is disgraceful. The match late last year saw two players do ACLs and one end up with bruised kidneys. 

 

Yeah, the insurance thing is strange. Are the representing our club or not? Are the men provided free insurance? If not, then there is no equality issue.

I think it will take several years to get the talent base up to scratch to support the growing number of clubs, and I expect the AFL will have the same view.

It's a big call to expect girls to play like pro's, and train as such, but risk their main incomes, for a return of 5 grand a season. Hope that increases substantially, as the competition gets fully established. But of course, they need to generate the income also. Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The insurance issue, if reported accurately is disgraceful. They're Melbourne Footballers- take care of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, faultydet said:

I would like to have had Harris. She is fantastic.

This is the best of the best playing for 2 teams. Once the talent is spread out it won't be nearly as good to watch.

This game is a good spectacle though.

I watch the women's league quite a bit. The Darebin Falcons are a seriously good side and dominate the other teams. I think that the league will be a better spectacle because the talent is going to be spread around. I am hoping that they are given a few years to build the competition and that they get the support they will need, like GWS and the Suns. My biggest concern is that they are not medically insured by the clubs which is disgraceful. The match late last year saw two players do ACLs and one end up with bruised kidneys. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

Yeah, the insurance thing is strange. Are the representing our club or not? Are the men provided free insurance? If not, then there is no equality issue.

I think it will take several years to get the talent base up to scratch to support the growing number of clubs, and I expect the AFL will have the same view.

It's a big call to expect girls to play like pro's, and train as such, but risk their main incomes, for a return of 5 grand a season. Hope that increases substantially, as the competition gets fully established. But of course, they need to generate the income also. Time will tell.

Currently the club does but the new league wont. Daisy was just asked on the channel 7 footy show about the $5k payment and said after taking out super and medical its not much. Apparently the players association has taken on the medical insurance issue. The men are fully covered. I would think its an OH&S issue as well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the senior players of their affiliated team can chip in for the girls lowly paid wages and help pay for their medical expenses and any loss of wages. We must look after our plan "b" team if our seniors dip next year. Don't the chicks have their own wedsite? faultydet be careful someone might label you as a sex predator.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SaberFang said:

I have to say, at 31 years old, Hickey was a perplexing "marquee" signing. Clearly the club knows something I don't, because I agree it seems like a mindboggling waste of 1 of our 2 selections.

It's all part of a marketing campaign playing to stereotypes. The blondies are up in Brissie, the tatooed one off to Collingwood, and the soccer player signed up at Lygon st. Meanwhile, we have the oldest players in the league to match our club heritage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These women have to pay their own medical insurance out of a $5000 payment?

What an absolute scam and joke

meanwhile CH7 sell advertising during the games

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

These women have to pay their own medical insurance out of a $5000 payment?

What an absolute scam and joke

meanwhile CH7 sell advertising during the games

With increased public pressure the AFL will have to part with some of that Burger and Fries money.

Or break out some of the gambling money.

I have a feeling people see through Gillon/The AFL and there will have to be some demands met at grass roots level in the sport.

The AFL have demonstrated business arrogance in NSW and Qld that is /will backfire .

I'm not sure a CEO should be there for more than an annual term.

The girls should seek to form their own commission  ,Tv Deals,Admin for each club etc if they continue to be paid in Lip service only.

The AFL is treacle slow on assistance for them and with the right negotiations I can see hem taking a big slice of the pie from these overpaid buffoons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at the game and it is definitely a lot better than the last few years. Once they become a side that can actually train together and learn how to play as a team it'll just get even better. With being friends with most of the girls and Moana being my boss I know that now there is something to work for they're putting 100% into diets and training. Meaning the standard will hopefully only get better 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt the AFL has once again gone down the road of 'rushing the product to market' without the development that is needed to make it work best.

The entire women's team next year, in total, will be paid about half as much as Colin Garland. The insurance thing is just ridiculous. Surely now the club will just jump onto the iSelect website and sort that out.

It will be interesting to see how things like training resources, coaching staff and salaries develop over the next three years. From such a low resources base even a small 'actual' increase will result in a massive 'proportional' increase - the club that commits most will almost certainly be the most dominant club.

Would love to see an arms race as the participating AFL clubs realise that an extra $100k into the women's team will bring the kind of reward that ten times that much marketing money couldn't get.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, whers_jacka_now said:

I think I am in love with Kaitlyn Ashmore. I ended spending half the game googling her and missed most of the last 2 quarters. No wonder women love watching the AFL. A whole new slant on the game.

421078-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Me too 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Biffen said:

With increased public pressure the AFL will have to part with some of that Burger and Fries money.

Or break out some of the gambling money.

I have a feeling people see through Gillon/The AFL and there will have to be some demands met at grass roots level in the sport.

The AFL have demonstrated business arrogance in NSW and Qld that is /will backfire .

I'm not sure a CEO should be there for more than an annual term.

The girls should seek to form their own commission  ,Tv Deals,Admin for each club etc if they continue to be paid in Lip service only.

The AFL is treacle slow on assistance for them and with the right negotiations I can see hem taking a big slice of the pie from these overpaid buffoons.

It is just a big PR Stunt to make the Commission feel better whilst spending as little as possible

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the 16 a side was a great success. the game opened out much more than the congestion of previous games and allowed skills to come to the fore. of course this also tested their aerobics and some were tiring at the end, but i'd prefer that to a rolling rugby maul any time

reminded me of the old vfa where 16 a side was the norm for decades

and agree with others that the lack of provided health insurance is a disgrace. i can't understand how it came to that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

These women have to pay their own medical insurance out of a $5000 payment?

What an absolute scam and joke

meanwhile CH7 sell advertising during the games

It is actually worse than that:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/swoop/afl-players-association-rejects-female-pay-proposal-for-new-comp/news-story/006b11c2f8ad1869b47b8b16111c5063  Summary:

Players would sign a 22-week contract with pre-season starting in November and the eight-week season kicking off in February.

  • The figures include superannuation payments. So the $5000 comes down by that amount. (9.5%??)
  • Players would have to pay for their own health insurance under the proposal. So the $5000 comes down further by that amount.
  • The AFL’s male players have a “tools of trade” condition in their contracts which requires their club to provide them with three pairs of boots and two pairs of runners...The AFL is yet to commit to this provision in the female contracts.  So the $5000 may come down further still.

So by rough calcs most of the players (a few marquis and priority players will get more) will get around $3500 for 30 weeks work.   Many will end their careers paupers and some with debilitating injuries.

They will be playing in the heat of summer with 16 a side and I actually worry if that is sustainable.

Hardly sounds an attractive career:unsure:

McLaughlin has defended it, thus:

  • “We’re investing in coaches, conditioning, facilities and starting the league from scratch,” McLachlan said.
  • “The will build from many millions in year one and will be tens of millions of dollars over the next five years.”
  • He said women could command fulltime salaries for playing and related football employment in three to five years.

It is beyond me why he expects players, who deliver the entertainment, to wear the cost of starting the league by accepting low pay. 

And, for Gil to argue about future employment opportunities is a joke as that will only be available to a small proportion of the players who make a name for themselves while playing. 

The AFLPA has taken up the cause and for once I applaud them for (hopefully) taking a stand.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, armstrong35 said:

Was at the game and it is definitely a lot better than the last few years. Once they become a side that can actually train together and learn how to play as a team it'll just get even better. With being friends with most of the girls and Moana being my boss I know that now there is something to work for they're putting 100% into diets and training. Meaning the standard will hopefully only get better 

Exacylt yet apparently it takes years for the men to learn a game plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

It is actually worse than that:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/swoop/afl-players-association-rejects-female-pay-proposal-for-new-comp/news-story/006b11c2f8ad1869b47b8b16111c5063  Summary:

Players would sign a 22-week contract with pre-season starting in November and the eight-week season kicking off in February.

  • The figures include superannuation payments. So the $5000 comes down by that amount. (9.5%??)
  • Players would have to pay for their own health insurance under the proposal. So the $5000 comes down further by that amount.
  • The AFL’s male players have a “tools of trade” condition in their contracts which requires their club to provide them with three pairs of boots and two pairs of runners...The AFL is yet to commit to this provision in the female contracts.  So the $5000 may come down further still.

So by rough calcs most of the players (a few marquis and priority players will get more) will get around $3500 for 30 weeks work.   Many will end their careers paupers and some with debilitating injuries.

They will be playing in the heat of summer with 16 a side and I actually worry if that is sustainable.

Hardly sounds an attractive career:unsure:

McLaughlin has defended it, thus:

  • “We’re investing in coaches, conditioning, facilities and starting the league from scratch,” McLachlan said.
  • “The will build from many millions in year one and will be tens of millions of dollars over the next five years.”
  • He said women could command fulltime salaries for playing and related football employment in three to five years.

It is beyond me why he expects players, who deliver the entertainment, to wear the cost of starting the league by accepting low pay. 

And, for Gil to argue about future employment opportunities is a joke as that will only be available to a small proportion of the players who make a name for themselves while playing. 

The AFLPA has taken up the cause and for once I applaud them for (hopefully) taking a stand.

 

I find it apalling that these are the terms thrown at these girls.

 i am not interested in watching women play football but if they are going to wear AFL jumpers i expect them to be well looked after. Those terms are disgusting when one remembers the salary that Gill pays himself. 

These games will be on FTA TV i assume over summer up against 20/20 so the advertising revenue will be a fair price. 

It reminds me of Cricket 1977 before Kerry took it on

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I find it apalling that these are the terms thrown at these girls.

 i am not interested in watching women play football but if they are going to wear AFL jumpers i expect them to be well looked after. Those terms are disgusting when one remembers the salary that Gill pays himself. 

These games will be on FTA TV i assume over summer up against 20/20 so the advertising revenue will be a fair price. 

It reminds me of Cricket 1977 before Kerry took it on

It is really slave wages by modern standards. Assuming that there is no other way, perhaps a voluntary contribution from the male players of say 2% should be implemented. With the salay cap at $10 million, this would raise around $200,000, which would probably double the overall wages for the women. That is not the way it should be, but it would help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridiculous. Pathetic incentives and base conditions will not  keep talented girls in the game. The future success of the woman's league is compromised from the beginning by the tight arse AFL.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

It is really slave wages by modern standards. Assuming that there is no other way, perhaps a voluntary contribution from the male players of say 2% should be implemented. With the salay cap at $10 million, this would raise around $200,000, which would probably double the overall wages for the women. That is not the way it should be, but it would help.

I think a donation from the AFL Commissioners wages would be more apprpriate. I don't see why the clubs list should pay. 

I wonder how this would stand up in Court if there was a serious injury during a game. I know a little bit about Medical Insurance and it is Big $$$'s

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

It is really slave wages by modern standards. Assuming that there is no other way, perhaps a voluntary contribution from the male players of say 2% should be implemented. With the salay cap at $10 million, this would raise around $200,000, which would probably double the overall wages for the women. That is not the way it should be, but it would help.

i hope the girls don't have to pay player-agent fees out of their pittance

maybe the men's player-agents could pay a levee of their male commissions to the girls as an investment in future potential clients?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I find it apalling that these are the terms thrown at these girls.

 i am not interested in watching women play football but if they are going to wear AFL jumpers i expect them to be well looked after. Those terms are disgusting when one remembers the salary that Gill pays himself. 

These games will be on FTA TV i assume over summer up against 20/20 so the advertising revenue will be a fair price. 

It reminds me of Cricket 1977 before Kerry took it on

Totally agree,

                      I watched the game last night and quite enjoyed it (would have been a bloody close game too if Dees fwd line got on top), but if these girls are playing as professional footballers they should be able to make a living from it. I'm not saying pay them millions, but should definitely be looked after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

It is really slave wages by modern standards. Assuming that there is no other way, perhaps a voluntary contribution from the male players of say 2% should be implemented. With the salay cap at $10 million, this would raise around $200,000, which would probably double the overall wages for the women. That is not the way it should be, but it would help.

This made me wonder - presumably the AFL need to abide the 'minimum wage' laws of our country. 

Hard to see how the $5,000 less costs fulfills these laws.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...