Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 23

Demonland

57 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The most horrifying thing about yesterday was it was pretty much our best 22.

i could sort of accept yesterday if we had 8-10 of our best 22 out, but we had our likely 2017 Rd 1 side ( minus M Jones and possibly Bugg and Harmes).

Next year it's unlikely we won't have the dream injury run that we did this year.

I thought the same thing. Had a lucky year with injuries. Certainly can't expect that every year.

Some people need to calm down a bit, yeah that was a crap game but it doesn't define our season or our future. We still have one of the youngest lists/the youngest best 22 in the comp. We won 10 games in a season for the first time since 2006. Our percentage has improved year on year since 2013 to where we were about break even. Above all Geelong were playing for top 2 and are likely Grand Finalists (and runners up to the Swans). They're a quality team just tuning up whereas we are a young team just winding down.

Things aren't so grim, we'll make finals in 2017.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, praha said:

I think today says less about how far we need to come than do our losses to Essendon, Carlton and Saints x2. Win those games and we're in the finals. We were favourites in all 4 of those games.

As bad as today was, and as worried I am that next year will be another 2011, the next corner this club needs to turn is winning games it's supposed to, every time. Once we turn that corner we'll be a finals side.

Compare that to the start of Roos' tenure, even the start of this year. We hadn't won two in a row, three in a row, couldnt beat top 8 teams, couldnt get close in WA, couldnt win in NT.

We've made massive inroads this year. But we did in 2010 as well.

2017 could either be awesome, or a colossal failure. I'm betting on the former.

Yesterday showed us how to play against bottom teams - what the Cats did to us is what we should've done the Blues and Bombers, kill their hopes in the first 10 minutes/first quarter and watch them roll over.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The most horrifying thing about yesterday was it was pretty much our best 22.

i could sort of accept yesterday if we had 8-10 of our best 22 out, but we had our likely 2017 Rd 1 side ( minus M Jones and possibly Bugg and Harmes).

Next year it's unlikely we won't have the dream injury run that we did this year.

Except the bulk of our best talent have played less than 50 games and many of those less than 30.

A young GWS team lost to a lowly Melbourne in round 23 last year on their way to 11th (11 wins).  They'll finish top 4 with 16 wins.

As disappointing as yesterday was I won't be despairing too much.  We'll be better again next year and the players have a pointed reminder as to where they need to take their game. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Wasn't too good today Chris

That was avery "bad" bad performance...

Yep, that was near the very worst we now get today. I still put that as better than our worst used to be. We used to get spanked like that against average sides, not just those at the top of the ladder. 

• Like 1

The players got ahead of themselves.  Roos in his press conf:  "We know that we're not a finals team. We've got a fair way to go to become a finals team. Sometimes the players need to see that, because they don't necessarily believe it. I think today was a stark reality and exactly where we're at as a footy club."

So we win 3 in a row with one mighty win over the Hawks and suddenly the players think they can just walz into the 8.  Yesterday was (another) goddamn wake up call for them.  Hope it burns in them all summer (along with losses to Saints, Blues, Ess).

Not disappointed we did not make finals - we are no where near ready.  Just disappointed the players started believing the 'finals' hype in the media when there were still games to be played.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, iv'a worn smith said:

We were never going to win today.........but a flogging like that.....well.  Our season ended last week, with that deplorable effort against Carlton.  We played a side today, which is the only Vic club to retain a home ground advantage and who were playing for a top four finish.  Roos has changed the culture of this club, along with PJ in particular.  It is now up to Goodwin to put some steel into these young bodies and minds.

Enjoy your mad Monday boys, but come back fit and ready for a gruelling pre-season.  As for the football department, please be smart with the trade period.  We have little, if any aces up our sleeves to bring to the trade table, but we will have to be smart........... we need to be smart.  I love the club and always will, but stop breaking so many hearts.....please

And the deplorable loss against Carlton is even worse when you look at who beat Carlton this weekend. Essendrug. The bottom team.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, von said:

Thank you. It's important I think to understand the emotional impact that places like this have on the boys and those close to them when they turn against their beloved team.

We are always told they are instructed not to read the fan sites.

Tell him he is a very naughty boy!

14 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Essendon are going to get pick 1, 

Hope not. I will be praying for the Lions to get slaughtered and take no 1. They need it far more than Bombers and will be less dangerous with it.

39 minutes ago, Diamond said:

And the deplorable loss against Carlton is even worse when you look at who beat Carlton this weekend. Essendrug. The bottom team.

I think the last two games showed we had hit the wall.

Gawn had carried the ruck solo all year. He looked a shadow of earlier. He needs some help next year. Others also played their worst games for the year. I thought Tyson as another example was terrible yesterday. In strong contrast to his form this year. Bar a few they all played shockers.

As most admit, we are young, need games and physical development, but our list is much better than a few years ago and we add Oliver, Melksham and Hibberd for starters.

A shocking loss but we will keep improving.

Perehaps we should get our players to write a book……………….. how to pee off supporters without really trying or lets get back to the pre Roos days supporters don't mind. I don't mind losing but that is ridiculous,someone has to pay for it,a demotion or sacking. If we played the Dogs,Kangas,Cats etc twice we would absolutely achieved nothing however I hate handicap draws which benefit teams like ours. Someone did say we had the 4th toughest draw,a big BS to that. Unless we are going to give up someone of quality and that person could be Hogan we are not going to get early draft picks which we really need. Our problem was we recruited duds in the past thus we need another round of re-build.

• Like 1

Badly need hard nut leaders who won't accept poor performances to show the rest how to win. Should have looked at Steve Johnson last year, should look at Boomer Harvey this year. A couple of genuine match winners wouldn't go astray either

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

No chance am I reading through the sewer that would be this thread.  So, seeing as we've all slept on it, please remember this... ;)

Disrespectful to those of us that are objective, Wb.  You are not the only supporter that is positive, the rest of us just don't keep reminding everyone of it.  

If you ignore the small minority of perennial 'song and dancers' on this thread you will find the majority of comments are realistic. 

Just now, Lucifer's Hero said:

Disrespectful to those of us that are objective, Wb.  You are not the only supporter that is positive, the rest of us just don't keep reminding everyone of it.  

If you ignore the small minority of perennial 'song and dancers' on this thread you will find the majority of comments are realistic. 

Not my problem if you took it personally LH, which is ridiculous by the way.  Did I say that people weren't entitled to their opinion, or that I'm on the only one who has a positive outlook?  Nope.  In fact, for someone who normally plays a straight bat, I'm surprised you would suggest that I did.  I stayed away after the game as I was hugely disappointed; not only in the performance, but in the way we sent Roos off.  It was terrible, and I understand the frustrations many would have felt.  I get that.  Doesn't change the fact that this thread would have been terrible to read straight after the game.

Just now, Wiseblood said:

Not my problem if you took it personally LH, which is ridiculous by the way.  Did I say that people weren't entitled to their opinion, or that I'm on the only one who has a positive outlook?  Nope.  In fact, for someone who normally plays a straight bat, I'm surprised you would suggest that I did.  I stayed away after the game as I was hugely disappointed; not only in the performance, but in the way we sent Roos off.  It was terrible, and I understand the frustrations many would have felt.  I get that.  Doesn't change the fact that this thread would have been terrible to read straight after the game.

Didn't take it personally as only made my first post on it this morning but I did read the whole thread and didn't find the word 'sewer' was right to use. 

Other-wise all good, Wise.

• Like 1

Not surprised we ended the season with a whimper.

There is a soft underbelly there and the selection committee IMO has not gone in with the best chance of winning for a number of games in the second half of the year. I guess that's OK if you are trying to blood players and we have been the youngest team in all our games bar one apparently.  We have been the youngest team overall on 13 occasions. That bodes well if you believe that a winning team has to grow and build together. BUt its hard for supporters of a success starved team.

Hopefully Roos has done what is right for the long term future of the club rather than tyring to protect any 'winning' legacy he may have.

Nonetheless there is a nucleus of players to be genuinely excited about. We have grunt with Oliver and Viney but really need our class players to step up. Petracca, Salem in particular. Hunt has added a great dimension to our team and another one with genuine pace would be great.

The biggest issues for mine are a supporting ruck for Max and a key defender. And if we can jag a skilled mid to complement what we have we are well on our way.

• Like 2

After sleeping on it I have decided that the players didn't go as hard as they would normally because there was really nothing to play for and none of them would want to be injured for the start of the pre season.

10 wins was a pass at the start of the season for me so I'm happy with that result at the end. 

I'm sure Goodwin is going to smash them on the track this pre season to prepare them for finals in 2017. 

Go Dees!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ENYAW said:

Redleg,we probably should have played Spencer as well as Gawm,the Cats are a tall side.

Would have made no difference.  Again our disposal was putrid. Jake wouldn't have solved that problem.

To me, disposal under pressure is our biggest problem. Let me rephrase that, DISPOSAL , IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM, PRESSURE OR NO PRESSURE. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Yep, that was near the very worst we now get today. I still put that as better than our worst used to be. We used to get spanked like that against average sides, not just those at the top of the ladder. 

Don't agree. That was a complete White Flag effort yesterday. Doesn't matter who we played. 

Sadly our Jumper has been kicked around for so long that when it all gets just a little too hard there is no fight or resistance. 

This happened in Round 22 & 23

Round 22 was actually worse....

13 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Don't agree. That was a complete White Flag effort yesterday. Doesn't matter who we played. 

Sadly our Jumper has been kicked around for so long that when it all gets just a little too hard there is no fight or resistance. 

This happened in Round 22 & 23

Round 22 was actually worse....

So you think yesterday we played worse than 186 or the belting the dons gave us a few years back?

The effort was really bad as you say but the footy was still better than we used to serve up. 

Just now, Chris said:

So you think yesterday we played worse than 186 or the belting the dons gave us a few years back?

The effort was really bad as you say but the footy was still better than we used to serve up. 

Once a game is over 100 point differential, the score becomes irrelevent. It's a surrender. 

Yesterday was as bad as 186 from US. and yes the 148 point loss to Essendrug ( The game i walked out on 5 minutes into the last and didn't return to the 'G for 3 years) so yes we all know how Bad it was. 

Yesterday was Mark Neeld Football. The Players should be totally ashamed, but they won't be. 

I don't care about Geelongs output. They may well have backed off