Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Kudos Dom Tyson

stuie

I was critical of this bloke in the first half of the season, but he showed fantastic resilience to turn around his year, and his second half of 2016 has been sensational. Credit where it's due.

Good write up of him today here:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/how-midfielder-dom-tysons-huge-improvement-has-helped-take-melbourne-up-the-ladder-in-2016/news-story/44eb9c0665e855a6cd77d079716b8e27

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

And I do rate Tyson's 2nd half of the season, but worth bearing in mind that the article is written by an MFC employee...

Anna Harrington is an AFL/Freelance writer who covers Melbourne sometimes I'm fairly sure. Don't think she works for the club itself.

Could be wrong tho.

59 minutes ago, stuie said:

I was critical of this bloke in the first half of the season, but he showed fantastic resilience to turn around his year, and his second half of 2016 has been sensational. Credit where it's due.

Good write up of him today here:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/how-midfielder-dom-tysons-huge-improvement-has-helped-take-melbourne-up-the-ladder-in-2016/news-story/44eb9c0665e855a6cd77d079716b8e27

Quote:  "...He’s contracted at Melbourne until the end of 2017 and as things stand, he doesn’t look to be going anywhere else anytime soon...“There’d be no reason for players around our situation to leave I think,” Tyson said.

Sounds like he is staying!!  No hand wringing over him re-signing another contract. 

As I stated elsewhere Dom has done a lot of media and interviews. Articulate and well spoken I expect him to be in the leadership group next year on the back of his great 2nd half form.

• Like 1

I have him a high five on the boundary line after the Port Adelaide game, you could just tell he was absolutely stuffed/exhausted, he must have given it absolutely everything.  Another player or two seemed less in this category, so I reckon its due to alot of damn hard work.

Tyson reminds my of Nathan Jones at the same age with a much higher ceiling. 

Jones was frustrating and always seemed to try and do too much. He never had the matrix style weeve Tyson does or the booming kick. Tyson also has better hands in close.

I don't say this lightly Jones is the best Melbourne player of the decade.

• Like 1

When Dom ball handling is clean and his ball use is up, he's a really valuable player.

However, being the pure inside midfielder that he now is, if his ball handling is down and kicking and handballing is off he almost becomes a liability on the field.

That's not an exaggerated comment. It's the truth. Dom is a really one-dimensional player in that he only has a few strong attributes which limits him positionally. He is also really one-paced now which limits his ability to run hard to position defensively.

When you look at his highlights from GWS, he seemed to be able to cover the ground a lot quicker and could burst away from packs. In my eyes he almost looks like a different player. I think the club identified him as a pure inside mid and the way his body shape and style has changed suggests that his individualised weight program has also changed from what he had at GWS..

One thing I've always worried about is our  pace and skill level through the midfield. Jones, Tyson, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and Petracca are all see ball/get ball players instinctively. They naturally gravitate to the contest. And if they're down on skill-level or ball handling like on Saturday, we get absolutely chopped up on the outside because our mids almost play like bees to the honey pot. It was the exact same against Essendon earlier this year.

Definitely something that worries me. It's an attribute imbalance atm. 

Here is Dom early days anyway. I think he looks and plays in a much more explosive way in these clips.

56 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

When Dom ball handling is clean and his ball use is up, he's a really valuable player.

However, being the pure inside midfielder that he now is, if his ball handling is down and kicking and handballing is off he almost becomes a liability on the field.

That's not an exaggerated comment. It's the truth. Dom is a really one-dimensional player in that he only has a few strong attributes which limits him positionally. He is also really one-paced now which limits his ability to run hard to position defensively.

When you look at his highlights from GWS, he seemed to be able to cover the ground a lot quicker and could burst away from packs. In my eyes he almost looks like a different player. I think the club identified him as a pure inside mid and the way his body shape and style has changed suggests that his individualised weight program has also changed from what he had at GWS..

One thing I've always worried about is our  pace and skill level through the midfield. Jones, Tyson, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and Petracca are all see ball/get ball players instinctively. They naturally gravitate to the contest. And if they're down on skill-level or ball handling like on Saturday, we get absolutely chopped up on the outside because our mids almost play like bees to the honey pot. It was the exact same against Essendon earlier this year.

Here is Dom early days anyway. I think he looks and plays in a much more explosive way in these clips.

I watched the video before reading your post, and came away with the same impression.

However, I think Dom has become a more consistent player at MFC and his change in body shape may have contributed to his ability to stay on the park better than he did at GWS. For the contested inside stuff, I think he needs the robust build, and let's be honest - it'd be nice if he could do the explosive outside stuff too, but it's not really what he's in the side for.
I look at Dom now and think "unfortunately you can't have everything"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mach5 said:

But... but... Josh Kelly will win a brownlow.
Apparently.

Doesn't matter, Dom will win two.

In all seriousness, I actually think Dom will go close to winning a Brownlow sometime during his career. I think he racked up 11 votes in his first year despite us only winning the four games. Will likely get between 11-15 this year with most coming in the second half of the year. Once he builds on his consistency, he could very well be a relevant name in the final rounds of the Brownlow in a few years. 

• Like 1

Glad to see Dom getting some kudos. A vital part of our emerging midfield.

Goalkicking midfielders are worth their weight in gold.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

you guys get carried away with what are just "highlights". i'm sure juice newton could've put together a highlights vid showing him in a different light

don't read too much into it

Nar m8.

I'm talking about his body shape and the way he is moving in those highlights compared to the way he moves for us.

He looks much more fleet-of-foot.

Just now, stevethemanjordan said:

Nar m8.

I'm talking about his body shape and the way he is moving in those highlights compared to the way he moves for us.

He looks much more fleet-of-foot.

reckon you could do a mfc highlights reel that looked much the same.........but that's jmo

It's funny, Dom doesn't strike me as an inside player but he does get a lot of his own ball. His first year was excellent, second year was pretty poor by his own admission and I think most on here knew he was playing injured, but his second half of the year has been fantastic.

He has been a sensational recruit from Roos and Co, if we can get Salem right then that is an absolute win on that trade.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pates said:

It's funny, Dom doesn't strike me as an inside player but he does get a lot of his own ball. His first year was excellent, second year was pretty poor by his own admission and I think most on here knew he was playing injured, but his second half of the year has been fantastic.

He has been a sensational recruit from Roos and Co, if we can get Salem right then that is an absolute win on that trade.

Hang on. What?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

'Joey' Kennedy mark II....I think he has a few more tricks than you think he does.

...best years are ahead of him.

• Like 2