Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs. Port

Wiseblood

Just now, Abe said:

Harmes does everything ANB offers and more, his outside pace, marking around the ground and so on definitely put him a few spots above ANB for mine.

we're definitely trying to play ANB as a mid, and because of that you just have to look at who he's competing with to understand why he can't get a consistent run of games.

I suspect he's a pretty strong chance to request a trade at years end

I agree, I would if I were him. He's never going to get into the midfield as an inside mid with the players we've now got up and running.

I'm not changing anything.

undies and socks included.

I'm looking for a massive streak.

12 hours ago, Old Bear said:

But Pedo shouldn't be dropped 

Hogan should be treated like everyone else in the club and need to earn his spot

form hasn't been great love to see 

Him play CHB

but won't happen

That is correct. He also needs to show he can improve his lead up work rate. Too one dimensional/predictable inside 50 for mine and sits back waiting for the long kick to the hot zone too often. Still does some good work up the field which I realise is handy and taxing on the tank but that's not his role surely (through the mid and suring up the defence as an extra). last 3 games or so haven't been great.

His kicking accuracy outside 40 meters is also pretty ordinary as is the method.

Has aspects of his game to work on. Better to do those at Casey under less pressure and will have more time to execute also and experiment with altered kicking method, running patterns/work rate. To be a genuinely effective forward in future he must change and correct that kicking style outside 40. Imagine him shooting for goal in the last minute of play in a crucial final using his current method...gadzooks!! ? ?

Wont happen though the FD/ Roos will probably be worried about the effect on a potential new contract if they don't pick him should he be right to go (if he hasn't decided to go already....and I suspect he has). As Nasher said they will more than likely make the change.

No changes for me ....when your on a good thing, 

The FD & Roos will see it diff of course

In: Hogan

Out: Pedersen

(Harmes the only other risk bit didn't see last Casey match so who would the replacement be.... ANB didn't work at AFL level last time)

25 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

That is correct. He also needs to show he can improve his lead up work rate. Too one dimensional/predictable inside 50 for mine and sits back waiting for the long kick to the hot zone too often. Still does some good work up the field which I realise is handy and taxing on the tank but that's not his role surely (through the mid and suring up the defence as an extra). last 3 games or so haven't been great.

His kicking accuracy outside 40 meters is also pretty ordinary as is the method.

Has aspects of his game to work on. Better to do those at Casey under less pressure and will have more time to execute also and experiment with altered kicking method, running patterns/work rate. To be a genuinely effective forward in future he must change and correct that kicking style outside 40. Imagine him shooting for goal in the last minute of play in a crucial final using his current method...gadzooks!! ? ?

Wont happen though the FD/ Roos will probably be worried about the effect on a potential new contract if they don't pick him should he be right to go (if he hasn't decided to go already....and I suspect he has). As Nasher said they will more than likely make the change.

No changes for me ....when your on a good thing, 

The FD & Roos will see it diff of course

In: Hogan

Out: Pedersen

(Harmes the only other risk bit didn't see last Casey match so who would the replacement be.... ANB didn't work at AFL level last time)

We play him at Casey after one week off from a bruised knee and the media will be all over it and probably send dozens of camera's to the VFL like they did Cloke. Barrett will claim it's a falling out with Goodwin and the sky will be falling.

Ok maybe a little dramatic but the fact remains he isn't a VFL player, he's an AFL player and our most damaging forward. Things like accuracy outside of 40m can't be improved at Casey, he's going to have to work on it in the off season. I also think there have been games where he might not have been dominating the scoreboard but he's been working his butt of to make space for forwards that are doing better on the night.

If he's fit he'll come in, if there's niggling doubt I would like them to er on the side of caution.

Can't understand people calling for Hogan to wait another week. If fit, he plays.

Pedersen did a decent job but let's not inflate his output too much. From my recollection he only had one touch for the entire first half. He had less ball and kicked less goals than Weed. Plus Weed is the future.

Hogan in, Pedersen out. Only other change I would consider is BenKen in for Garlett but that depends on the mood of the selectors.

Edited by Radar Detector
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pates said:

We play him at Casey after one week off from a bruised knee and the media will be all over it and probably send dozens of camera's to the VFL like they did Cloke. Barrett will claim it's a falling out with Goodwin and the sky will be falling.

Ok maybe a little dramatic but the fact remains he isn't a VFL player, he's an AFL player and our most damaging forward. Things like accuracy outside of 40m can't be improved at Casey, he's going to have to work on it in the off season. I also think there have been games where he might not have been dominating the scoreboard but he's been working his butt of to make space for forwards that are doing better on the night.

If he's fit he'll come in, if there's niggling doubt I would like them to er on the side of caution.

There's no shame playing for Casey for a week or 2 to work on things Pates. If it's good enough for a seasoned veteran like Cloke and guys like Pedo then it won't hurt an up and coming KPF early in his career. The extra time and space might do his confidence the world of good,and his tank assuming they only play him for about 80% game time or so. 

Might freshen him up a little also. He isn't crashing packs and hitting in quite as hard as he was earlier this season in marking contests IMO. Understandable given the length of season and how taxing today's game is, especially on a young and still developing bod.

The break worked well for Clarry. Don't see any difference here other than a potential ego dent to the man himself. Roosy obviously the best person to man manage these issues. As I said I suspect he will be straight in for Pedo if fully fit.

16 hours ago, stuie said:

Plus, geez what more does ANB have to do to get a game?! (36 touches and a goal yesterday)..

Unfortunately ( actually - fortunately !) - doesn't matter how well you do in the VFL there needs to be an obvious place for you in the 1sts before you are promoted - not a bad thing. As much as I feel for ANB , Grimes, Trengove and Michie who are playing really good football in the VFL it is a definite change in fortunes that we can't fit them into the team. How times have changed.

A few posters have said Hogan for Weideman. I tend to agree. It makes the most sense. Weid showed flashes and theres so much to get excited about. He also was understandably tired by the end of the game.

Not sure when Casey finals begin but I would assume Weid wants to be a part of it.

It would be madness to bring in the guy that leads the team for goals and marks inside 50. 

Hogan for Pedersen. easy, no brainer.

This isn't to dectract from Pedo. Hawks are lucky Hogan wasn't playing with the kind of fwd entries we were getting.
Too many get distracted by aesthetic stuff that doesn't matter. Independent of potential, he'd be picked in the seniors for every single team in the league on form. I know people like barracking for the underdog, but after decades of Dees footy, I'm gonna back the superstars.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Next year. Harmes isn't getting dropped any time soon.

Rightly so Harmes has class. Yeah he makes some mistakes but he offers so much more than ANB. I'd love ANB in the team for the rest of the year but pick which slow inside mid you want out: Viney, Tyson, Jones, Oliver. Cant have any more than them 4. Brayshaw, Tracc, Stretch, Bugg, Kent, Vanders Vince all spend time in the middle and he doesnt have the right qualities to replace any other than Bugg who wont be dropped on that performance actually thought it was one of his best games this year. The only one who I think could be in trouble is Garlett and if he goes then surely Kennedy comes in. Maybe ANB could come in for him but i would be surprised if he was dropped anyway. 

In Hogan
Out Pederson

Pedo couldn't have picked a better game to play as a fill in but cant escape the fact thats all he was. If he had taken 10 marks and kicked 3 goals I'd understand peoples doubts but he didn't. He played his role well, job done. The unfortunate reality of a successfull team I hope we are up long enough to get used to it.

7 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Rightly so Harmes has class. Yeah he makes some mistakes but he offers so much more than ANB. I'd love ANB in the team for the rest of the year but pick which slow inside mid you want out: Viney, Tyson, Jones, Oliver. Cant have any more than them 4. Brayshaw, Tracc, Stretch, Bugg, Kent, Vanders Vince all spend time in the middle and he doesnt have the right qualities to replace any other than Bugg who wont be dropped on that performance actually thought it was one of his best games this year. The only one who I think could be in trouble is Garlett and if he goes then surely Kennedy comes in. Maybe ANB could come in for him but i would be surprised if he was dropped anyway. 

In Hogan
Out Pederson

Pedo couldn't have picked a better game to play as a fill in but cant escape the fact thats all he was. If he had taken 10 marks and kicked 3 goals I'd understand peoples doubts but he didn't. He played his role well, job done. The unfortunate reality of a successfull team I hope we are up long enough to get used to it.

Harmes has heart and determination in spades, but he definitely doesn't have "class" (yet). I liken him a bit to Chunk when he first came in, messy and a mile a minute, but Harmes strikes me as the sort of bloke that will work just as hard on his disposal and it will greatly improve. But from being at the game and watching the replay twice, he certainly does not have class.

ANB isn't a slow inside mid either. Roos' mantra of versatility has seen him learning an inside mid role this year, but I believe he will eventually settle in a role as a high HF who can also play as a crumber. We've got a couple of handy players in Kent and Petracca currently in that HF role, but with Garlett and vB's form a bit up and down the queue is nowhere near the same length as it is for the inside mid role. I'm personally not sold on Kennedy yet and think given ANB's stellar and consistent VFL form this year he deserves more than 1 game to show if he can make the leap.

29 minutes ago, stuie said:

Harmes has heart and determination in spades, but he definitely doesn't have "class" (yet). I liken him a bit to Chunk when he first came in, messy and a mile a minute, but Harmes strikes me as the sort of bloke that will work just as hard on his disposal and it will greatly improve. But from being at the game and watching the replay twice, he certainly does not have class.

ANB isn't a slow inside mid either. Roos' mantra of versatility has seen him learning an inside mid role this year, but I believe he will eventually settle in a role as a high HF who can also play as a crumber. We've got a couple of handy players in Kent and Petracca currently in that HF role, but with Garlett and vB's form a bit up and down the queue is nowhere near the same length as it is for the inside mid role. I'm personally not sold on Kennedy yet and think given ANB's stellar and consistent VFL form this year he deserves more than 1 game to show if he can make the leap.

Sorry, but fending off two blokes in traffic, then kicking it 50 metres and hitting a bloke in the goal square on his hands, is class. He might not show it every time he touches the ball, but he definitely has class.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Sorry, but fending off two blokes in traffic, then kicking it 50 metres and hitting a bloke in the goal square on his hands, is class. He might not show it every time he touches the ball, but he definitely has class.

Missing easy targets by hand and foot is not class, he did that more often that fending off and hitting targets.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Missing easy targets by hand and foot is not class, he did that more often that fending off and hitting targets.

Thats inconsistancy, doesnt mean he doesnt have class. He needs to clean up but he has good technique and with the games into him he will get better and hopefully he will show more every week. You dont get those kind of plays from a pure blue collar player.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Having something, and not showing it all the time, are not incompatible states. 

14 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Thats inconsistancy, doesnt mean he doesnt have class. He needs to clean up but he has good technique and with the games into him he will get better and hopefully he will show more every week. You dont get those kind of plays from a pure blue collar player.

Right, so Dawes has great hands then. He doesn't show it all the time, but he does have it.

;)