Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Billy Stretch Appreciation Thread


dazzledavey36
 Share


Recommended Posts

I've always wanted to see Stretch get a run at it and maybe he will get more games with our injuries, but I'm at the point where I feel like we can call time on him. His decision making isn't improving (he continually looks like he sh*ts his pants in traffic and he picks terrible options downfield too often) and his contested work isn't improving (he squibbed one contest and dropped his head when marking late in the game). He is a good runner but that isn't anywhere near enough to overcome these two major deficiencies.

22 minutes ago, A F said:

I know this is a Stretch thread, but I reckon our coaches (Goodwin?) have severely mismanaged Stretch and Petracca.

Stretch has yo-yoed in and out of the side for 3 or 4 years now, while someone like ANB has had continuity and managed to get some confidence up last year.

Stretch doesn't know what his game is anymore and he seems to overthink everything. 

Petracca has done a lot right this season, but that internal spray they gave him mid last year for not passing off in one set up has really damaged his confidence. His goal kicking wasn't great in the early part of last year, but it has got worse since the moment that selfish play of his was allegedly pulled out in front of every team mate.

He tries to do too much too often and sometimes those dinky kicks inside 50 come off, but more often than not, he should be backing himself in to kick the goal. 

I suspect that if Goodwin had his time again, he and his team would have handled Stretch and Petracca differently.

Billy won't make it now and Christian can't seem to take that next step, which is convert his multiple shots on goal into scoreboard power. He'd be a very good player if he managed that.

Source for any of that Petracca stuff?

IMO Petracca wasn't that bad today. He was doing a lot right but the way our midfielders delivered the ball to our forwards (i.e. almost never to advantage) he wasn't able to get into the game. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, A F said:

I know this is a Stretch thread, but I reckon our coaches (Goodwin?) have severely mismanaged Stretch and Petracca.

Stretch has yo-yoed in and out of the side for 3 or 4 years now, while someone like ANB has had continuity and managed to get some confidence up last year.

Stretch doesn't know what his game is anymore and he seems to overthink everything. 

Petracca has done a lot right this season, but that internal spray they gave him mid last year for not passing off in one set up has really damaged his confidence. His goal kicking wasn't great in the early part of last year, but it has got worse since the moment that selfish play of his was allegedly pulled out in front of every team mate.

He tries to do too much too often and sometimes those dinky kicks inside 50 come off, but more often than not, he should be backing himself in to kick the goal. 

I suspect that if Goodwin had his time again, he and his team would have handled Stretch and Petracca differently.

Billy won't make it now and Christian can't seem to take that next step, which is convert his multiple shots on goal into scoreboard power. He'd be a very good player if he managed that.

With due respect this is a highly speculative scenario based on zero internal knowledge of what if naything was said and it's impact on Petracca. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Petracca is being criticised because he is potentially a very good player and people ca see that. Criticising Stretch and Spargo is just silly. They play as well as they can and are VFL standard.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was intrigued watching Stretch kick beautifully from 40 plus out in the last. It sailed through. I did not think he had the distance and wonder why he always does dinky kicks to little benefit. Tell him to take the game on and kick it long to advantage.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

I was intrigued watching Stretch kick beautifully from 40 plus out in the last. It sailed through. I did not think he had the distance and wonder why he always does dinky kicks to little benefit. Tell him to take the game on and kick it long to advantage.

Agree. When he tries to finesse, it comes unstuck.  Surely the coaches know his strengths and his weaknesses and advise. If we can see it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Live he was fine. And in the top 11 players of ours on the ground. Yes he isn’t best 22, but he is that 23-26 player we need when injuries hit. He works hard and continues to play out the game. Not an issue at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I've always wanted to see Stretch get a run at it and maybe he will get more games with our injuries, but I'm at the point where I feel like we can call time on him. His decision making isn't improving (he continually looks like he sh*ts his pants in traffic and he picks terrible options downfield too often) and his contested work isn't improving (he squibbed one contest and dropped his head when marking late in the game). He is a good runner but that isn't anywhere near enough to overcome these two major deficiencies.

Source for any of that Petracca stuff?

IMO Petracca wasn't that bad today. He was doing a lot right but the way our midfielders delivered the ball to our forwards (i.e. almost never to advantage) he wasn't able to get into the game. 

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/afl-matthew-lloyd-criticises-melbourne-christian-petracca-efforts-in-finals-win/0f7951fb-66f0-45cf-8730-e6a71ec3ab36

Not the greatest source, but better than nothing:

Lloyd’s criticism around Petracca’s game comes following the revelation from former AFL great Brian Taylor, who revealed earlier in the year that the young forward had been identified as being selfish.

“I’m led to believe that there was a video run and it was run on loop of the same player over and over again moments before they went out onto the ground – not giving a handball,” Taylor said on Triple M’s The Mid-Week Rub.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DV8 said:

IF this is true,  then he doesn't Have what it takes to be Elite...  nor a strong AFL player.

A lot more to it than that.

As someone who is a coach, every player has different triggers.

I'd argue he's had to wear quite a bit of expectation and hype.

He's having a good season and his mental frailty only seems to come into it when he's taking set shots and he overthinks things. He wouldn't be the first AFL footballer to go through that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chookrat said:

With due respect this is a highly speculative scenario based on zero internal knowledge of what if naything was said and it's impact on Petracca. 

Of course, I'm not inside the walls of the football club. All I can see is what I see on the football field and since this allegedly happened, his confidence has never seemed to be quite the same. Speculation without talking to Petracca, but there is certainly a correlation.

As for Stretch, that's for all to see. He's gone into his shell over many seasons now, as he's been in and out of the side. And until this year, regularly only got one shot at it at a time. On the football field, he seems to have come back each time, weaker for it.

Edited by A F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, A F said:

A lot more to it than that.

As someone who is a coach, every player has different triggers.

I'd argue he's had to wear quite a bit of expectation and hype.

He's having a good season and his mental frailty only seems to come into it when he's taking set shots and he overthinks things. He wouldn't be the first AFL footballer to go through that.

We both have hope for.

You have more faith in him,  than i do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I must have been legit the only person who thought Stretch actually played an ok game? 

He was cleaner in his disposal than most 

I thought he played  his role and tried very hard all day Far from our worst.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I must have been legit the only person who thought Stretch actually played an ok game? 

No you are not Dazzle. He is a whipping boy on here. I would be getting rid of plenty before him. Needs a few more games and hopefully as confidence grows we can see his best.  At the top of the list to go IMO  is the most frightened player on the list, Jeffy.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Id say Petracca has plenty of advice on not stressing himself and then relaxes too much. He then just retreats into his normal game. Some players have been uncoachable. Wouldnt be surprised if Tracc is one.

Edited by Damo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Redleg said:

No you are not Dazzle. He is a whipping boy on here. I would be getting rid of plenty before him. Needs a few more games and hopefully as confidence grows we can see his best.  At the top of the list to go IMO  is the most frightened player on the list, Jeffy.

Thanks Red, i honestly think he just needs a really good block of games just to get continuity into his game. Averaging 17.7 disposals per game and has play 44 games. So hes right at thay 50 game mark where hopefully he'll start to really show what he's capable of.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

IMO Petracca wasn't that bad today. He was doing a lot right but the way our midfielders delivered the ball to our forwards (i.e. almost never to advantage) he wasn't able to get into the game. 

Could pretty much write that for all forwards who play there atm

Edited by Rusty Nails
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Thanks Red, i honestly think he just needs a really good block of games just to get continuity into his game. Averaging 17.7 disposals per game and has play 44 games. So hes right at thay 50 game mark where hopefully he'll start to really show what he's capable of.

Yep. I think his natural game has been coached out of him, with him being told he is not to turnover the ball at all costs and that has stopped him playing on like he did in his first few games. He was a run and carry player who is now stop start. I think he has improvement in him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Yep. I think his natural game has been coached out of him, with him being told he is not to turnover the ball at all costs and that has stopped him playing on like he did in his first few games. He was a run and carry player who is now stop start. I think he has improvement in him.

Agree on firts three points. Not sure i agree with the last

Before he got injured last year he was starting to play really well and much more fluent and instinctive. But seems so hesitant now. Needs to release the ball more quickly and take the game on and break some lines. Those issues were on display again yesterday, though there was couple of occasions where he did kick quickly.

On improvement i think it is dependent on his mindset. If he he can free up a bit and have the confidence to attack then he could well improve. And to be honest that is the coaching staff's job to help him get his mind right.

I would have dropped him after WC but was ok yesterday and with our injuries gets his chance to make a case to stay in the idea. I hope he takes the chance as i think the talent is there.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, binman said:

Agree on firts three points. Not sure i agree with the last

Before he got injured last year he was starting to play really well and much more fluent and instinctive. But seems so hesitant now. Needs to release the ball more quickly and take the game on and break some lines. Those issues were on display again yesterday, though there was couple of occasions where he did kick quickly.

On improvement i think it is dependent on his mindset. If he he can free up a bit and have the confidence to attack then he could well improve. And to be honest that is the coaching staff's job to help him get his mind right.

I would have dropped him after WC but was ok yesterday and with our injuries gets his chance to make a case to stay in the idea. I hope he takes the chance as i think the talent is there.   

Have been going to make same comments nearly all season but threads get away from me.

When I have seen live games , Billy seems to be running and making good positions but is not always used, then when he gets it, stops and props, doesn't move it on to passing runner. The last trait may be why he is not used.

There seems to be a lack of knowledge or lack of confidence, both could be affected by him not getting a sustained run in ones, he is not seen as, accepted as a first team player. He does still seem to be a little under muscled but I think his old man was similar physique and seemed to go ok, so maybe needs some more consideration.

How do the fringe players train? Are they with the main squad every session or do they spend more time at Casey.

I hope we train as a complete squad with intensity supplied by competition for spots. Selection can then be based on matching against opposition, with promotion only being made on performance. Hopefully this arrangement can be achieved as we get a full list back from injury.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...