Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 15

Demonland

4 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I went to the game on Sunday (in poor company it must be said) but have haven't felt like posting until now.

I'm "Bitter and disappointed" . Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! I actually feel worse about this loss than the Essendrug fiasco. Why?? Here was the moment to show we were a fair dinkum improver and a threat to anyone! The moment was lost because we stayed in the sheds for an extra 10 minutes at half time.

I would have thrown myself in front of a heard of stomping alpacas were it not for a couple of highlights. ie Jeffy's return and the absolute excitement of Josh Hunt bravely taking the game on.

Unfortunately though I'm over being titillated by moments of joy and the promise of improvement - I want [censored] success!!

Surely an upstanding gentleman like you doesn't associate with the lower classes Bitters?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

It wasn't entirely by choice Choke and, BTW they don't come much lower.

You should feel privileged by sitting with inner city progressive intellectuals.

If the conversation was a little over your head next time we could discuss something you might understand like manure or govt handouts to terrible farmers.

7 minutes ago, Biffen said:

You should feel privileged by sitting with inner city progressive intellectuals.

If the conversation was a little over your head next time we could discuss something you might understand like manure or govt handouts to terrible farmers.

Actually I was trying to ignore the "conversation" while exchanging embarrassed smiles with nearby members who were offended by your ( and your Greeny mate's) vulgar and loutish behaviour.

Watched the replay again last night. I thought we played one of our best games and as others have said, let ourselves down in the 10 minutes after half time. Quite frustrating really. A few things to take out of the game-

Jack Watts was our best over 4 quarters. He was made to play a variety of roles, including ruck unfortunately, but was one of the few that created instead of handballing to team mates under pressure.

Hunt's best game. Not only courageous in taking the game on, but is also fearless at the contest. Another preseason to build fitness and muscle and he will be a real weapon for us on a more consistent basis.

Though T Mac and especially Jetta held down the fort quite well. Jetta was the only bloke who kicked alright deep in defence (Hunts kicks were more up the ground). Is there a less polished backline in the league by foot than us? I have serious doubts personally. Need Salem to get healthy and come on, Melksham will also need to lend a hand down there.

Hogan played ok but why does he ALWAYS take so long to choose an option. If he has the ball 70m out, he doesn't move it in time to catch defenders off guard. Instead he takes 20 seconds to kick it into a crowded forwardline. He has done this consistently in his 2 years and I'd be shocked if the coaches haven't had a word about it.

Viney's kicking has regressed since the hand injury. This could be because of the glove on his left hand impacting his ball drop? I'm confident he will return to form in the next few weeks though.

Dawes just isn't up to it. Can't blame his endeavour but he just isn't able to impact contests. I'd like us to simply let his contract come off the books and use that money to recruit someone (Prestia/Hibberd/etc). 

As as has been the case for the last few years, we still lack good kicks. We have done well to address hardness in the team. We are tough and try to compete, but we have maybe 3/4 good kicks in our 22 most weeks. That isn't enough. Watts is our best kick by such a long way, our entries involving him are so different to when a Bugg, VDB, Kennedy, Kent, bring it in. Actually forgot Stretch, who is quite clean with the ball and faster than I first thought, he is also a reasonable kick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Actually I was trying to ignore the "conversation" while exchanging embarrassed smiles with nearby members who were offended by your ( and your Greeny mate's) vulgar and loutish behaviour.

The new ruling elite are taking over and the bourgeois simpletons no longer matter.

I thought your embarrassment derived from your constant flatulence but you were no doubt blaming the electorally victorious Moonshadow for that also I presume.

Edited by Biffen

Jack Watts received 7 well deserved votes from the Coaches this week for his career best game.

Jeff selected for Team of the Week - repaid the faith to coaches after average VFL games and showed how much he wanted to play seniors...made sure he wasn't going to get dropped again any time soon.

Nat Jones also got 2 votes from the Coaches - business as usual for our champ.

Pretty good effort for 3 players in a losing team. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
Identified it was Jack Watts
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Jack received 7 well deserved votes from the Coaches this week for his career best game.

Jeff selected for Team of the Week - repaid the faith to coaches after average VFL games and showed how much he wanted to play seniors...made sure he wasn't going to get dropped again any time soon.

Nat Jones also got 2 votes from the Coaches - business as usual for our champ.

Pretty good effort for 3 players in a losing team. 

Watts? Played really well but he's definitely played better games. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Spencer as an individual probably wouldnt add much, maybe a goal if he gets a mark or a free kick (we would need a bit of luck). But Hogan up the ground will get us 3/4 more marks 60-70m out which will hopefully turn into scoring opportunities. That and Watts who has developed some chemestry with Hogan and that leaves them both forward together for longer periods with Spence in the ruck instead. Them together is more dangerous than Hogan and Dawes.

That said It is Darwin this week so the possibility of it being slipery means it may be worth holding off on the second ruckman and give Dawes another chance. If they do play dawes again I want to see him left as the deeper forward, take away the pressure of marking and tell him just to make a contest. In the CHF role we need marks not a contest. FF a mark is less imortant so much as a contest for the crumbers to impact on. 

Forecast for Darwin on Saturday is 33 degrees and 44% humidity. Don't think it will be too slippery. Agree with what else you say though. 

17 minutes ago, Django said:

They don't vote on the other games he has played just in case you were wondering.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Forecast for Darwin on Saturday is 33 degrees and 44% humidity. Don't think it will be too slippery. Agree with what else you say though. 

Yeah i didnt look but the players talk about it being slippery every time they go up there. If it is going to be dry then that should increase Spencers chances

Edited by ArtificialWisdom
english!!

14 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

They don't vote on the other games he has played just in case you were wondering.

That's very interesting. If I had to pick his best game of the season, Collingwood early in the year would stand out for me. 

1 hour ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Yeah i didnt look but the players talk about it being slippery every time they go up their. If it is going to be dry then that should increase Spencers chances

Thinking about it it may not be the weather that makes it overly slippery, it may actually be the sweaty players. 44 blokes all sweating and grabbing at the ball is sure to make the ball a little wet. 

2 hours ago, Django said:

That's very interesting. If I had to pick his best game of the season, Collingwood early in the year would stand out for me. 

You seem to be asking and answering your own question....

A lot of fun that,. You'll find that you'll always get the answer you want....

45 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

You seem to be asking and answering your own question....

A lot of fun that,. You'll find that you'll always get the answer you want....

Interesting subject "talking and answering yourself"

The problems start when you start giving yourself the wrong answers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Demonated said:

Viney's kicking has regressed since the hand injury. This could be because of the glove on his left hand impacting his ball drop? I'm confident he will return to form in the next few weeks though.

Viney missed training last week due to a suspected hammy, or at least a niggle that they didn't want to turn into a hammy.

I was surprised to see him in the final 22 and didn't expect him to have a blinder.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ted Fidge said:

Viney missed training last week due to a suspected hammy, or at least a niggle that they didn't want to turn into a hammy.

I was surprised to see him in the final 22 and didn't expect him to have a blinder.

Yea good point. I haven't seen him clear 45m on his kicking since the injury. Also seems like he hasn't been able to maintain his manic intensity in that time. He should be back to full form in 1/2 weeks hopefully.

8 hours ago, Django said:

As a complete performance, and considering the calibre of opponent, I think it was his best game for the club. Certainly better than his game against Collingwood this season. They are rubbish, for starters.

2 hours ago, Ted Fidge said:

Viney is a great player to watch battle through games even if not 100%. He must be confident communicating with the coaching and fitness staff and he repays us by going out there and fighting with whatever he can use

10 hours ago, Biffen said:

The new ruling elite are taking over and the bourgeois simpletons no longer matter.

I thought your embarrassment derived from your constant flatulence but you were no doubt blaming the electorally victorious Moonshadow for that also I presume.

Two old bastards arguing at the footy - I'm picturing you and bitters as the two old muppets up in the stalls taking the [censored]

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Je Roos Salem said:

Viney is a great player to watch battle through games even if not 100%. He must be confident communicating with the coaching and fitness staff and he repays us by going out there and fighting with whatever he can use

Yes, he must be confident, but are the staff confident talking to him? Who would want to be the one to tell him he can't play?

He's a little tank and definitely someone you want on your side and not against you.

And his kicking is already better than his old man's ever was.

On 03/07/2016 at 5:58 PM, Wiseblood said:

Yes, season over.  I don't think we would have made the finals even with a win today, but it would have been nice to dream a little longer.

Disappointing to lose today.  We obviously still lack the ability to win these sorts of games - we have lost close ones to North, Hawthorn and the Crows, and they are games we most certainly could have won.  Turnovers and some skill errors hurt, and while they are covered against lower sides, a side like the Crows make you pay for it.  Too much quality there.

I thought there was still plenty to like.  Hunt was terrific.  Jack Watts stood up for 4 quarters, as did the captain, as he always does.  I thought our key backs, apart from a few mis-fires, gave a good account of themselves and it was great to see Jeffy back in good form today.  Just shows you how important he is to the side going forward and was always too good for the VFL.

We are a better side with a much better gameplan.  We just need to learn to execute better under pressure and make sides pay on the rebound.  Exciting times ahead though, we are building a strong list that just needs more games in their legs.

Matthew lloyd called it last night on footy classified. Backline skills in disoisal are bad. My word would be appalling and must ge a priority over off season. Sadly the macdonalds and frost arent fixable, but how to find alternatives us the issue,. Rest of team coming along nicely but I fear this willnhold us back.

12 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Matthew lloyd called it last night on footy classified. Backline skills in disoisal are bad. My word would be appalling and must ge a priority over off season. Sadly the macdonalds and frost arent fixable, but how to find alternatives us the issue,. Rest of team coming along nicely but I fear this willnhold us back.

Tired thumbs?

42 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Jumping the gun a bit on that. I'll ignore Tom because there is a whole thread on that and its getting absurd. then there is Oscar who you question his size and urgancy fine but you cant question his disposal. when he has the ball in space he us usually pretty effective. He is skinny but if he keeps bulks up and keeps his current disposal then i wont be too conserned. Better than many on our team. Frost is young and never going to be a slick user but his size, run and long kick is more than enough to compensate.