Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs. Adelaide

Wiseblood

Geez, poor Trenners. Only a few weeks ago he got a standing ovation, now people are calling for his head. Give him a few more weeks to build form and adjust. He has been out for such a long time, give him some time.

• Like 8

I realise Jeffy's form has not been sparkling at either level but he provides something we severely lack, the ability to break a game open. We are far too vanilla. Jeffy can turn a game on its head. If I was picking the team to win the game against a quality opposition I'd pick him.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tough Kent said:

I realise Jeffy's form has not been sparkling at either level but he provides something we severely lack, the ability to break a game open. We are far too vanilla. Jeffy can turn a game on its head. If I was picking the team to win the game against a quality opposition I'd pick him.

I was at the game on the weekend. The conditions were horrible.

Garlett was a simply terrible omission. It was one of those games where a midfielder could simply have kicked it into an entirely empty forward 50 and it would've been a clumsy sprint between players to get the ball. Sections of the ground were literally unoccupied for big chunks of the game.

The conditions and the small ground would've suited Garlett perfectly, irrespective of his form over recent weeks. In fact, it probably would've been the game that would've got him back into form. We had a stack of forward 50 entries for no return. Garlett kicking two or three of these type of goals would've been want we needed - and I have no doubt he would've done this on the day had he been selected. He kicks these types of goals without even trying.

We pick the wrong team all too often.

• Like 6

We need Jeffy firing if we're to be a chance against the better teams in the comp.  Obviously we're not privy to the targets he was given when he was dropped, but at a minimum it would be pressure acts and one percenters - hopefully he's been reaching those marks.  He also strikes me as someone who only really ignites on the big stage- we need him back on the G.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Deespicable said:

ually remember what amazing bits of play he did in his first four games, nor his first 55 for that matter, then I'm afraid I won't be calling for Mr Mediocre to come in. If we wanted a linkman who doesn't take the game on, then why the hell did we get rid of Cale Morton? That said, I suspect Matt Jones will still come in for Stretch with the club hoping he can provide some run - which invariably he doesn't provide, except at training. But he will link up and be part of about 10 basic stop and kick chains that have no effect on anything, except the timeclock.

Pretty good post except that I have to disagree with this paragraph.  I thought Matt Jones was very handy before getting injured. Won his own ball and used his pace out of congestion.  Avergaged about 20 touches a game.  I'd prefer him over Stretch at this stage.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, S_T said:

Pretty good post except that I have to disagree with this paragraph.  I thought Matt Jones was very handy before getting injured. Won his own ball and used his pace out of congestion.  Avergaged about 20 touches a game.  I'd prefer him over Stretch at this stage.

Matt Jones wasn't and probably never will be damaging, but we don't have an Isaac Smith on our list, and there's only a few of those types in the whole comp. And even someone like Scully who might be the AA wingman right now still has shonky as can be kicking. 

Stretch was in our best players against the Dogs and Lions. Was moved around a bit against Port. Did nothing wrong against Collingwood and has the bye to freshen up. I'd keep him in. I'd probably play Matt Jones as well. Start one on each wing lining up on Seedsman and David McKay who are pretty similar players, although Seedsman in particular has more kicking penetration.

That would free up Bugg to play as a defensive half forward on Brodie Smith, who along with Rory Laird are the main drivers of Adelaide's ball movement from half back. 

The alternative is leaving Bugg on the wing and deciding between Stretch, Matt Jones and Harmes for the other 2 spots. Or Harmes coming in and dropping another half forward. 

I just hope we put time in to Adelaide's running defenders, and I'm not all that worried about having 2 wingmen who don't do a lot of damage as long as they do the hard running and are efficient with the ball. If they get back to help the defenders then get the ball to Kent, Petracca and Watts leading out to the wings then those 3 especially can make things happen for us going forward.

• Like 2

I'm putting in a smoky in Hulett to get a chance this coming game against Adelaide possibly against Vanders. I I also think we could pinch it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Abe said:

Out: Stretch, Kent

In: M.Jones, Garlett

Garlett Abe?

He has done nothing since being dropped and was poor the last month in the seniors.

How does he get a game when Grimes has been playing well and been first emergency the last 6 weeks?

I thought the idea was to reward good form.

• Like 2

Ins: Garlett, Grimes

Outs: Wagner (rest), Oscar (rest)

Garlett is best 22 and the dropping will be the kick up the bum he needs. Grimes deserves his chance, and we need him for the crows good fwd line.

FB: Jetta - Frost - Grimes

HB: VInce - TMac - Hunt

C: JT - N.Jones - Stretch

HF: Kent - Hogan - Watts

FF: Garlett - Dawes - Trac

R: Gawn - Tyson - Viney

I: Oliver - AVB - Kennedy - Bugg

Matchups:

Betts - Jetta

Walker - Tmac

Jenko - Frost

Lynch - Grimes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GawnWithTheWind said:

Ins: Garlett, Grimes

Outs: Wagner (rest), Oscar (rest)

Garlett is best 22 and the dropping will be the kick up the bum he needs. Grimes deserves his chance, and we need him for the crows good fwd line.

FB: Jetta - Frost - Grimes

HB: VInce - TMac - Hunt

C: JT - N.Jones - Stretch

HF: Kent - Hogan - Watts

FF: Garlett - Dawes - Trac

R: Gawn - Tyson - Viney

I: Oliver - AVB - Kennedy - Bugg

Matchups:

Betts - Jetta

Walker - Tmac

Jenko - Frost

Lynch - Grimes

Garlett has done absolutely nothing to deserve a recall. Has not responded well to being dropped a la Kennedy. In fact he has been poor for some time. Stretch must be on thin ice as well. Did not even know he was on the ground against Sydney. Probably get a gig against Adelaide but needs a big one.

• Like 1

Anyone else feeling a bit 'lost'...this thread should be bouncing by now...

...waiting for team selection announcements and remembered we ain't playing this weekend!! 

B-gger!!!!

Boring!!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Stretch out? One bad game against the Swans, according to most (as i didn't see it), but he is easily rating top 10 stat wise this season (have him ranked at No.6) on comparative averages. And most performed well below par apparently, apart from Jones, Vince, Gawn, Tracc and maybe Tmac in patches?

The worst performer on the entire list so far this year, on balance, has to be Frost. Also ranked the worst against the Swans.

Clarry gets the rest this week and is easily in our top 10 effective disposal and clearance getters. By all accounts Tyson had just as poor a match, maybe worse, and i can't hear any calls for him to go. Stretch in our top 5 (EDs). Drop those two with a weeks rest under their belt? All are getting a rest and we can't see any KC options this week either and there were no real stand outs in the loss to the Pies with the exception of maybe Grimes and M Jones.

Pedo didn't have a stellar match against the Pies either but would be more versatile and reliable option than Frost against the Crows on the big stage IMO. Maybe Grimesy for Jetta who has had a couple of ordinary matches now and may need a week back at KC to find his mojo and touch again.

So, one definite change of Pedo for Frost.

Sitting on the fence with Grimes for Nev for one match only to give Nev a breather and find a bit more touch back at KC. Put a bit of pressure on Nev to up the ante a little also knowing he isn't a dead set certainty every week. Hopefully comes back as good as (or slightly better) than ever the week after. Doubt the FD would roll with the Nev/Grimes option though, probably preferring to try and play him back into form in the seniors.

Edited by Rusty Nails

On 6/20/2016 at 11:07 PM, Petraccattack said:

The best forward line in the league vs our undermanned and inexperienced defensive

We must smash them in the midfield

It's not undermanned. Inexperienced, sured, but get used to the cattle currently out there. That's our backline for the next decade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, praha said:

imis's not itndermanned. Iinexperienced sure, but get used ifo the cattle currentlin out there. That's our backline for the next decade.

Havent done the numbers praha but we probably have the most Inexperienced and possibly the youngest backline atm. Frost and Omac are far from dead set "next decade" 200 plus game lock Ins IMO and are still not up to holding down a regular spot at AFL level accept with us (see below). Especially Frost.

That's not to say they wont get there but the litmus test Is... could and would these 2 get a regular game with most other clubs not sitting rock bottom? The honest answer Is of course no. Frost and to a lessor degree Omac, would be  depth players at most other clubs, learning their craft and building an AFL body at VFL  level, getting the occasional game In the seniors when needed (Injury/suspension/horrid form) and slowly working their way Into the senior team If performing and doing all the things the FD were looking for upstairs.

Unfortunately at the MFC we see things differently and do things differently for some reason. We need a serious Injection of quality/experience for next year with at least one key defender IMO If we are to take the next step (might be Melksham). 

The only thing I'll be getting used to If your opinion becomes fact (and It might!) will be more losses to most teams above us for the next few years until/unless those two turn Into the players we apparently have already decided they will become.

The balance of this list Is too skewed towards youth. If we don't fix this Imbalance, starting this year for next, we will not take the next step IMO and will be unlikely to see much Improvement next year (maybe one or two extra wins) and probably regress the following year. To hang on to guys like Hulk we will also need to see linear Improvement next year. Aint going to happen with current "Skewed" list with Roos/Goodwin and Co. going pretty much "all In" on youth over experience. Agree that some or most of the more senior options down back are not the answer going forward either, but that Is what makes next year's draft/trade even more critical for this club. 

If the club goes with experience over youth we are on track and should play finals next year. If not then we better get used to more years being added to our decade of no finals appearances and the likely loss of our more experienced/talented players to top clubs continuing. And if that happens where do we go from there? More youth as replacements?

Edited by Rusty Nails

I say no changes for next week. 

We smashed the pies.  Struggled with a6 day break in horrible conditions interstate. And now we've had a breather,  ready to bounce back. 

No changes if we are shuffling the deck chairs,  only if they decide a required/best 22 player comes in (ie Garlett) but I'm not sure that he deserves it. 

Whether the team changes depends on how the club sees the two, 6 day breaks and interstate travel in the next 4 weeks.  We play Adel, Freo (6 days, in Darwin), StK and WCE (6 days, in Perth).   Lots of travel there!

So I would expect Gus, Oliver, Harmes, Stretch, ANB and perhaps Hunt and Oscar to be rotated for those games.

Would expect Garland to get some of the 4 games.

Think Garlett will come in soon and stay in.   

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Amusing that people are "resting" some players after they've just had a rest.  

As for Matt Jones ?  He'll unfortunately get the odd game, but is the least competitive player in the team.  There's a place for outside players, but Jones' lack of physicality is too great for this little black duck.  

I think Harmes and Garlett will come in for perhaps Stretch and Kennedy.

• Like 1