Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jayden Hunt's Development

Jhorse

Another great find by the recruiting team with this guy (57th overall). Was a very left field selection but has been getting better every game he's played this season.

It's not the run that he provides that has been impressing me lately (although I do love it and it's what our backline has been sorely lacking for quite sometime), but his willingness to defend as been really impressive as I hadn't seen this from him before. Can also take a decent mark and as some others have pointed out I think his kicking can still improve.

Considering this was his first real full pre-season, excited to see what he can achieve with another couple under his belt.

• Like 22

He really backs himself well. I love the way he tucks the ball under his arm and uses his pace to break the lines. The thing he needs to improve on now I feel is to practice on releasing a handball more effectively than just to another team mate who is under the same amount of pressure, and needs to slow down on those last 4-5 steps and focus more on hitting a target and lowering his eyes (like Saad).

• Like 3

Has work to do on his delivery of ball by foot. Exciting prospect though - his pace is blistering and he looks to use it as much as possible, and he plays a tougher brand of game than I expected. His progress is very pleasing.

• Like 12

He bombs the ball in a little too much but his disposal by foot is actually neat when he lowers his eyes. That will come with experience. I was thinking last night that it is testament to the faith our coaches have in the backline that it is made of "experienced" campaigners in Omac, Frost ( he is such a natural defender), Wagner and Hunt.

• Like 1

I'll put my hand up as one who thought he wasn't going to make it after the last few years, but I'm a big fan now. Absolutely smashing it for his "first" year in. Has a bit of the Lumumba's about the way he goes about his footy.

28 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Has work to do on his delivery of ball by foot. Exciting prospect though - his pace is blistering and he looks to use it as much as possible, and he plays a tougher brand of game than I expected. His progress is very pleasing.

Agree, it really surprised me too, you gotta love the kid. He is so exciting and is capable of finding himself in the right spots at the right time.

• Like 1

Once he nails down the half back role, I would love to see him move into the middle for a crack at it. If he could use that pace out of the centre square he could be Dangerfield like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jhorse said:

Another great find by the recruiting team with this guy (57th overall). Was a very left field selection but has been getting better every game he's played this season.

It's not the run that he provides that has been impressing me lately (although I do love it and it's what our backline has been sorely lacking for quite sometime), but his willingness to defend as been really impressive as I hadn't seen this from him before. Can also take a decent mark and as some others have pointed out I think his kicking can still improve.

Considering this was his first real full pre-season, excited to see what he can achieve with another couple under his belt.

I think you nailed it Jhorse.  He's alot tougher than some give him credit for....I was in Alice Springs right in front of where he made that great run down chase of Karl Amon on the wing.  A few mins later he did another one in the goal square which saved a certain goal.  He's one who is developing and getting better right before our eyes and realises that if he defends well, his other natural attributes will come into play.  Juzzk1d is also right about releasing the handball more effectively, I think he'll get better at that and another pre-season to give him more strength in the tackle will do him wonders.

Using his speed really well to apply pressure, create contests and lay tackles. I don't think he is a bad kick, more just seems to be going a hundred miles an hour when he does kick. If he can get that composure with his delivery, he will be a very good player.

• Like 4

His appetite for the contest and fearlessness still surprises me for some reason. He has a competitive ferocity which very much symbolises what this new group is about. Not to derail the Hunt praise, but Jack Watts is the same now. He doesn't just compete, he relishes the contests! 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Webber said:

His appetite for the contest and fearlessness still surprises me for some reason. He has a competitive ferocity which very much symbolises what this new group is about. Not to derail the Hunt praise, but Jack Watts is the same now. He doesn't just compete, he relishes the contests! 

Perhaps the reason for the surprise is his slight build and child like looks when he was recruited. First glance and you'd have to wonder what the recruiters were on when he was drafted, but now he's filled out and has the size to match the speed. I'm not sure if he would be any better in the middle, he gets the chance to break lines coming off half back but it's a bit more restricted in the middle.

Great pick up and congrats to the recruiters, I think we got the smart one of the Collingwood recruiting team, our selections have been great and theirs have been ordinary.

• Like 1

The development of Hunt makes me really excited to see what we are going to get out of Hulett (bare with me....). 

Hunt's body at 16 really didnt work for him and that stopped a player who at 15 matched it with teammates Josh Kelly and Christian Salem. He has had 5 years of injury plagued seasons where he has shown glimpses of that underage form. What we are seeing now is that 187cm, hard-hitting mid who can break away from packs with blistering speed. Now while he doesnt have the disposal of a Danger or a Parker, what he does have over them is pace, and a similar work ethic to Parker, Danger etc. He gets from contest to contest and seems to have a tank which is rare for someone of that speed. He wants to be at the contest and while I'd like him to have more possessions, the smothers, the tackles, the pressure acts are good enough for me at the moment. Does he have it in him to be a Kelly or a Salem - talent wise I dont know, his passing needs work but as we all know, he has a cannon of a boot. What is not under question is his drive to become as good as Kelly and Salem, or for that matter Danger and Parker. I dont think he will become a bonefied centre clearance mid (due to our glutton of great CC mids), but contests around the ground, I love having him there. Heath Shaw is what I'd love him to become (player, not person). But what we are seeing now is faith in a young man who had all the tools early on and the desire to be great, but his body let him down

So how does this link to Hulett, Same story as Hunt but he is a key forward. I've spoken to a heap of under age coaches about Hulett and they have all been unanimous in, if he gets his body right, you have a top talent. Someone who at 15-16 looked like he was going to be a start before injuries got the better of him. What we are seeing at Casey with Hulett at the moment is what we saw with Hunt. A desire to contest, work hard, and ensure that he makes it in the AFL. 

• Like 14

The moment the ball is in his hands, his head shoots up and he looks for the gaps to exploit.  He is a brave, attacking and very tough young man who is quickly becoming one of my favorites.  His blonde hair and 'soft' looks hide a hardened competitor who uses his pace to attack, defend and pressure the opposition; he's a real find.

There was a large chorus calling for him to be delisted last year, but once again, this football department has stuck fast and are developing a real weapon for us.

• Like 3

I thought he'd come in and play 2 or 3 games and be not quite up to it. He earns his spot each week already though!

He is pretty slight in build but is very hard at it for his size, does not shirk when he has to put his body on the line.

It is clear that have given him a license to use his wheels as soon as he gets the ball, he will be an extemely damaging player in 30 to 40 games time.

just love watching him run.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

The moment the ball is in his hands, his head shoots up and he looks for the gaps to exploit.  He is a brave, attacking and very tough young man who is quickly becoming one of my favorites.  His blonde hair and 'soft' looks hide a hardened competitor who uses his pace to attack, defend and pressure the opposition; he's a real find.

There was a large chorus calling for him to be delisted last year, but once again, this football department has stuck fast and are developing a real weapon for us.

Looks like Jane, plays like Tarzan.

• Like 8

Watching him last year i thought it was a big mistake keeping him on the list.

Hiw wrong could i get.. His development has been astounding and now i have been forced to break my diet and eat humble pie.. 

The only knock I have on him at this stage is that he needs to utilise his run to get involved when we've got the ball, and make himself available for an outlet kick. Also think that Nev Jetta needs to do the same. Would love to see Hunt develop into someone like Rory Laird.

I have to say i've been very impressed with Jayden, he attacks the game hard & breaks lines with lightning speed...sometimes his disposals suffer because of this but you can't fault his endeavour; Put another 20-30 senior games into his development and i'm sure we will have a very, very handy player!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoldMember said:

I have to say i've been very impressed with Jayden, he attacks the game hard & breaks lines with lightning speed...sometimes his disposals suffer because of this but you can't fault his endeavour; Put another 20-30 senior games into his development and i'm sure we will have a very, very handy player!

Reckon he is a beauty as is Wagner. Both these kids have got it. Guts, determination, run, tackling machines and great in the contest and open space. They represent the new MFC and what we have lacked for so long. Let them make mistakes but make no mistake, they are the future.

• Like 4

Both Hunt, Wagner (and Oscar too) need to work on awareness and how to dispose of the ball when they are tackled.  ATM all 3 are pretty clueless & it seems to come as a great shock to them when their arms are pinned so they are prone to give away frees.   More time in the gym & more work on that aspect of their development & they all could become real guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee-licious said:

The development of Hunt makes me really excited to see what we are going to get out of Hulett (bare with me....).

Bare with you? I'd rather not, if it's all the same to you.

• Like 4